If MFP does not allow promotion of extreme plans like HCG

Options
JPod279
JPod279 Posts: 722 Member
Why the hell am I seeing ads for it on the site? Do they not get with their ad people and tell them to filter out certain ads?

Replies

• TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,793 Member
    Options
    Why the hell am I seeing ads for it on the site? Do they not get with their ad people and tell them to filter out certain ads?

I'm sure if you want to pay for advertising space you can hawk your wares as well.
  • JPod279
    Options

I'm sure if you want to pay for advertising space you can hawk your wares as well.

Actually, the other day I made mention of fairy dust and unicorn oil to spot reduce belly fat and got a warning from the MFP police about being sarcastic. So I doubt they would let me sell it on the site.
  • kapeluza
    kapeluza Posts: 3,434 Member
    Options
    Because they need to pay their rent?
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    Adds on here are based on search engines you use. If I searched for "russian women" on my google, my ads would be for mail order Russian brides...

I was looking online at swimsuits yesterday and have an old Navy swim ad on my screen...
  • BigDaddyBRC
    BigDaddyBRC Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options
    Adds on here are based on search engines you use. If I searched for "russian women" on my google, my ads would be for mail order Russian brides...

I was looking online at swimsuits yesterday and have an old Navy swim ad on my screen...

Damn I need to search that now.
  • Jovialation
    Jovialation Posts: 7,632 Member
    Options
    tumblr_m4d0u7Qtuq1qamheoo1_500.gif
  • JPod279
    Options

Doubt that it is based on MY search results as I have not searched HCG. (Or other things I see adds for).

I just find it ironic. I know they have to pay for this somehow. I would just think whomever they contract with could filter adds better. But what they hell do I know? Not much if you ask my wife. :bigsmile:
  • PeaceCorpsKat
    PeaceCorpsKat Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    Apparently I am rich and travel a lot because I got the Ritz Carlton.
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options

Doubt that it is based on MY search results as I have not searched HCG. (Or other things I see adds for).

I just find it ironic. I know they have to pay for this somehow. I would just think whomever they contract with could filter adds better. But what they hell do I know? Not much if you ask my wife. :bigsmile:

It's not solely based on what you have searched. That said, the ones that are not based on your searches are probably paying the most money for advertising.
  • JoolieW68
    JoolieW68 Posts: 1,879 Member
    Options
    I did an google search for Trader Joe's Cookie Butter the other day and now an ad for it pops up on my screen.

Not thinking MFP is purposely advertising things that are against the TOS.
  • cressievargo
    cressievargo Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    actually, the ads are in part driven by your searches.
    Mine are all about cell phones right now because I've been looking at different plans online.
  • ScatteredThoughts
    ScatteredThoughts Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options

Usually web sites can at the very least select the types of ads they will or will not allow, so it still seems unusual to me that MFP wouldn't be a bit more restrictive about it.
  • fatboypup
    fatboypup Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options
    its all about the Benjamin's baby
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    I don't think it's just searches but internet activity. Just being here on fitnesspal means you get adds for things like gyms and diet plans.
  • johnny_66
    johnny_66 Posts: 12 Member
    Options

Jpod , I'm sure MFP does not select the advertisements you are seeing. Most of that is driven from your profile on Google, Yahoo, Facebook, etc. You may have researched HGC at one time or visited a site that promoted it (not sure what HGC is). I may be off base about this but it seems to follow my research on the web. JMHO
  • pinto_bean
    pinto_bean Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Mine is for Chryslers and I most certainly have not been searching for vehicles.

Once I got a Pizza Hut ad, which is just plain wrong.
  • TinaDay1114
    TinaDay1114 Posts: 1,328 Member
    Options
    Actually, the other day I made mention of fairy dust and unicorn oil to spot reduce belly fat and got a warning from the MFP police about being sarcastic. So I doubt they would let me sell it on the site.

D***! If they start banning sarcastic folks, this site's gonna get PRETTY empty. Wait, I --

**sound of crickets**
  • Leslie85
    Leslie85 Posts: 265 Member
    Options

Agreed. You must be doing a little searching on HCG :)

I'm getting married in November- so most of my searching deals with save the dates, bridesmaid dresses and such...and that's what usually shows up on the side in my advertisements.
  • morgthom75
    morgthom75 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    It's not MFP, its google ads. They are based on your internet history. If you search for sleeping bags, you'll get ads for camping gear. Doesn't mean you have to specifically search for HCG for them to show ads for it. Any searches for health or weight loss related topics would probably result in some sort of HCG ad.
  • SinkTheBismarck
    Options
    I get ads for Burger King :sad: