Almond Milk/Soy Milk/Rice Milk--Which is best?

Options

Replies

• SandeThompson
    Options
    Try coconut milk.:wink:
  • wd61dp
    wd61dp Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I too can't drink cow's milk. I prefer Rice Milk, by far. Not grainy at all, like many people say. Although, when I drank cow's milk....lots of it....I drank skim milk. Rice milk is very similiar to skim milk. Almond milk does have a light almond taste. A new milk i have recently tried that was good is hemp milk. Good luck,
  • callmeBAM
    callmeBAM Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    SOY MILK IS DANGEROUS.

No one else provides proof either, so get over it. I have read enough studies from HARVARD and CORNELL University's, among other, that state that soy may have numerous negative side effects on men and women. Go with almond or coconut milk, they are safer. Why take a risk when you don't need to?
  • bits4226
    bits4226 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    My favorite was 8th Continent Original Lite soy milk. It's the low in sugar and fat and still tastes good, but sadly no one around here carries it anymore. Instead I use Silk Unsweetened Almond for cooking and baking. I'll use either that or Silk Lite Original, or Vanilla, for smoothies and drinking.
    I have to agree with you I use the 8th contingent lite and its great... Ive only seen it in one store and in one size which is diffcult since it takes months for me to finish it. it does however last a lot longer than regular milk so it helps!!
  • callmeBAM
    callmeBAM Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    I've been drinking soy milk for almost 20 years with no negative affects (I don't like the taste of milk).

I haven't gotten sick YET is not the most convincing argument. 100% of cigarette smokers that will wake up tomorrow morning have not died from smoking tobacco. Must be ok!
  • eviltwinkie
    eviltwinkie Posts: 153
    Options
    Soy, unsweetened.

I DO love coconut milk, unsweetened, if that's an option for you. Made a protein shake this morning with some, plus some guar gum to thicken it. It was like a milk shake. :)
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    SOY MILK IS DANGEROUS.

No one else provides proof either, so get over it. I have read enough studies from HARVARD and CORNELL University's, among other, that state that soy may have numerous negative side effects on men and women. Go with almond or coconut milk, they are safer. Why take a risk when you don't need to?

Can you provide links to the Harvard studies? I find it odd they'd have done multiple studies, or even know of multiple studies, showing soy as harmful but still recommend it as a good protein source on their nutrition site.
  • bcattoes
    Options
    I've been drinking soy milk for almost 20 years with no negative affects (I don't like the taste of milk).

I haven't gotten sick YET is not the most convincing argument. 100% of cigarette smokers that will wake up tomorrow morning have not died from smoking tobacco. Must be ok!

The same can be said of everything we eat or drink, no?
  • JeffseekingV
    JeffseekingV Posts: 3,165 Member
    Options
    Almond because I don't want to have Phil Mickelson syndrome
  • _VoV
    _VoV Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    SOY MILK IS DANGEROUS.

I join at least one other person here who wants to see these Harvard and Cornell studies.

Many of these soy-attacks seem to come from the same place: the Weston A Price Foundation. Here's a discussion about this:
    http://zenhabits.net/soy/
  • JeffseekingV
    Options
    http://www.livestrong.com/article/408965-soy-milk-for-cancer/

Soy milk is a beverage made from soybeans. Soy contains a number of different chemicals that may play a role in your risk of getting cancer, though it is unclear if increasing your soy intake increases or reduces your risk of certain cancers. You should talk to your doctor if you plan on consuming soy milk to make sure that it will not worsen any pre-existing medical problems.

Isoflavones
    One of the reasons why soy products such as soy milk are relevant for cancer is because soy contains chemicals known as isoflavones. Isoflavones are antioxidants, which means they may be able to prevent cell damage that leads to cancer. Isoflavones are also phytoestrogens, the Harvard School of Public Health reports. Phytoestrogens are substances that are chemically similar to estrogen. The phytoestrogens found in soy milk may have an effect on estrogen-sensitive cells in the human body.

New Cancer Treatment 4x Better Survival Rates Than Chemo or Radiotherapy CancerTreatmentMX.com
    Sponsored Links
    Isoflavones and Increased Cancer Risk
    One concern about soy milk and other soy products is that the phytoestrogens could increase the risk of cancers in organs that respond to estrogen, such as the breasts, uterus and ovaries, the National Center for Complementary and Alternative Medicine states. Estrogen stimulates cell growth in these tissues and increased cell growth can result in cancer. Some forms of breast, uterine and ovarian cancer actually grow faster when estrogen levels are high. As a result, women who have a high risk of developing these cancers may need to avoid soy milk.

Soy Milk and Hormonal Cancer Prevention
    On the other hand, the phytoestrogens contained in soy milk may not stimulate estrogen-responsive cells. There is also the possibility that these compounds could instead block estrogen signaling, the Harvard School of Public Health notes, which would reduce the risk of breast, ovarian and uterine cancer. The timing of soy intake could also be important, as women who consume high amounts of soy during adolescence and early adulthood have a decreased risk of developing this cancers. More work needs to be done to fully understand the role of soy isoflavones and cancer in women.

Soy Milk and Prostate Cancer
    Soy milk may also play a role in the development of prostate cancer. According to the American Cancer Society, consumption of soy products such as soy milk can reduce levels of a protein known as prostate specific antigen. This is relevant because elevated levels of prostate specific antigen are associated with prostate cancer. Soy products may also be able to slow rises in prostate specific antigen, so even if soy does not prevent prostate cancer, it could slow its growth.

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/408965-soy-milk-for-cancer/#ixzz1vospDAbe
  • bcattoes
    Options

What HARVARD has to say:

http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/what-should-you-eat/protein-full-story/index.html#soy
    Straight Talk about Soy
    One protein source that has been getting a lot of attention is soybeans. We've been told that regularly eating soy-based foods lowers cholesterol, chills hot flashes, prevents breast and prostate cancer, aids weight loss, and wards off osteoporosis. Some of these benefits have been attributed to a unique characteristic of soybeans—their high concentration of isoflavones, a type of plant-made estrogen (phytoestrogen).

As is so often the case, some of the claims made for soy were based on preliminary evidence, while others go far beyond the available evidence. Back in 1999, the Food and Drug Administration let companies claim that foods containing soy protein "may reduce the risk of heart disease." (15) The claim was based on early research showing that soy protein lowered levels of LDL (bad) cholesterol. A number of solid studies done since then have tempered this finding, (16) as well as those regarding soy's effects on other conditions.

Heart disease: A 1995 meta-analysis of 38 controlled clinical trials showed that eating approximately 50 grams of soy protein a day in place of animal protein reduced total cholesterol levels by 9.3 percent, LDL cholesterol by 12.9 percent, and triglycerides by 10.5 percent. (17) Such reductions, if sustained over time, could have meant a 20 percent reduction in the risk of heart attack, stroke, or other forms of cardiovascular disease. An updated look at the soy story, which includes several strong studies published since 2000, isn't so bullish on soy and cholesterol. According to this comprehensive update of soy research by the American Heart Association's (AHA's) nutrition committee, eating 50 grams of soy a day lowers LDL only about 3 percent. (16) Keep in mind that 50 grams of soy protein is more than half the average person's daily protein requirement. It's the equivalent of 1½ pounds of tofu or eight 8-ounce glasses of soy milk a day.

All this doesn't mean you need to turn up your nose at tofu, tempeh, or soy milk, or ignore edamame (a fancy name for soybeans). The AHA committee says that even though soy protein itself has little direct effect on cholesterol, soy foods are good for the heart and blood vessels because they usually replace less healthful choices, like red meat, and because they deliver plenty of polyunsaturated fat, fiber, vitamins, and minerals, and are low in saturated fat.

Hot flashes: Soy has also been investigated as a treatment for hot flashes and other problems that often accompany menopause. In theory, this makes sense. Soybeans are rich in phytoestrogens. In some tissues, these substances mimic the action of estrogen. So they could cool hot flashes by giving a woman an estrogen-like boost during a time of dwindling estrogen levels. Yet carefully controlled studies haven't found this to be the case, (18, 19) and the AHA committee concludes that soy hasn't been shown to ease hot flashes and other symptoms of menopause. (16)

Breast cancer: Phytoestrogens don't always mimic estrogens. In some tissues they actually block the action of estrogen. If such estrogen-blocking action occurs in the breast, then eating soy could, in theory, reduce the risk of breast cancer because estrogen stimulates the growth and multiplication of breast and breast cancer cells. But studies so far haven't provided a clear answer, with some showing a benefit and others showing no association between soy consumption and breast cancer. (16, 20-22) In fact, a handful of unsettling reports suggests that concentrated supplements of soy proteins may stimulate the growth of breast cancer cells. (23, 24) Timing of soy intake may make a difference: The Shanghai Women's Health Study, for example, found that women with the highest soy protein intakes throughout adolescence and early adulthood had nearly a 60 percent lower risk of pre-menopausal breast cancer than women with the lowest intakes. (32)

Other cancers: Although substances in soy could conceivably protect against endometrial, ovarian, colorectal, prostate, and other cancers, there is no good evidence for this.

Memory and thinking ability: A few studies have raised the possibility that eating soy could help prevent the age-related loss of memory or decline in cognitive function. Recent trials have yielded contradictory results in this area, with one showing a benefit for soy, (25) and others showing no benefit. (26-28, 33) Other studies suggest that too much soy could lead to memory problems. Among older women of Japanese ancestry living in Hawaii, those who relied on the traditional soy-based diet were more likely to have cognitive problems than those who switched to a more Western diet. (29) This finding, which has yet to be confirmed by other long-term studies, could result from excessive intake of phytoestrogens or inadequate intake of something found in animal products, such as vitamin B-12.
  • JeffseekingV
    Options
    http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/what-should-you-eat/protein-full-story/?__utma=1.1442681792.1337890312.1337890312.1337890312.1&__utmb=1.1.10.1337890312&__utmc=1&__utmx=-&__utmz=1.1337890312.1.1.utmcsr=hsph.harvard.edu|utmccn=(referral)|utmcmd=referral|utmcct=/nutritionsource/what-should-you-eat/protein/&__utmv=-&__utmk=117446793

Breast cancer: Phytoestrogens don't always mimic estrogens. In some tissues they actually block the action of estrogen. If such estrogen-blocking action occurs in the breast, then eating soy could, in theory, reduce the risk of breast cancer because estrogen stimulates the growth and multiplication of breast and breast cancer cells. But studies so far haven't provided a clear answer, with some showing a benefit and others showing no association between soy consumption and breast cancer. (16, 20-22) In fact, a handful of unsettling reports suggests that concentrated supplements of soy proteins may stimulate the growth of breast cancer cells. (23, 24) Timing of soy intake may make a difference: The Shanghai Women's Health Study, for example, found that women with the highest soy protein intakes throughout adolescence and early adulthood had nearly a 60 percent lower risk of pre-menopausal breast cancer than women with the lowest intakes. (32)
  • senyosmom
    senyosmom Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    I buy soy milk - I love Silk Vanilla in my cereal.

I also buy 8th Continent soy original for my son who is allergic to dairy. He is one and the 8th contenient brand was the only full fat version soy milk I could find in the store when we decided to switch him from formula so that was the brand I bought - he likes it so I stuck with it.

Buy small containers of different brands and try them out - if you hate them you can rule them out right away.
  • bcattoes
    Options
    http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/what-should-you-eat/protein-full-story/?__utma=1.1442681792.1337890312.1337890312.1337890312.1&__utmb=1.1.10.1337890312&__utmc=1&__utmx=-&__utmz=1.1337890312.1.1.utmcsr=hsph.harvard.edu|utmccn=(referral)|utmcmd=referral|utmcct=/nutritionsource/what-should-you-eat/protein/&__utmv=-&__utmk=117446793

So, I'm confused. Are you saying soy might be good, or that a lower risk of breast cancer might be bad?? Or just focusing on the one sentence saying that soy supplements, which is not at all the same thing as eating soy, may be bad?

There is evidence that calcium supplements raise the risk of heart disease. But that doesn't make calcium bad.
  • JeffseekingV
    Options
    Just posting information.
  • bcattoes
    Options
    Webmd.com on Soy

http://www.webmd.com/food-recipes/news/20110630/benefits-of-soy-a-mixed-bag
    Benefits of Soy: The Scorecard
    The working group evaluated the evidence on soy as it affects menopausal symptoms, breast and endometrial cancer risk, hardening of the arteries, bone loss, and mental abilities.

They reviewed hundreds of studies. They found mixed results.

They looked at research evaluating soy from foods and supplements. Soy's isoflavones are credited with producing the healthy benefits. The isoflavones were first considered to be ''plant estrogens" and estrogen-like in action. But experts now believe they may also work in other ways, such as having antioxidant properties.

Among the findings of the working group:

Soy relieved certain menopausal symptoms. Utian says the relief from hot flashes is typically moderate. According to research, soy does not work as well as hormone therapy but was better than placebo, Utian tells WebMD. "If you give estrogen a 9 out of 10 score, and placebo 4 of 10, soy would be about 6.5."
    Supplements with a higher proportion of the isoflavone known as genistein or increased S(-)-equol, which is made by intestinal bacteria from the isoflavone daidzein, seem to provide more benefits than other products.
    Soy from foods is linked with lower risks of breast and endometrial cancer in studies.
    The benefit of soy intake on bones is not yet proven. "On bone health, we really didn't find adequate evidence to recommend its use for preventing or reducing the risk of osteoporosis and osteoporotic fracture," Utian says.
    Soy's heart health benefit is still evolving in research.
    Soy appears to help women under age 65 with cognitive function, but not those over 65. Utian refers to this as a ''critical window" after which women don't seem to derive benefit.
    Although evidence was lacking for many of soy's proposed benefits, Utian says that "the good news is that we didn't show it carries any significant risk."

The symposium and report were supported by unrestricted grants from Otsuka Pharmaceutical, Pharmavite LLC, and the Allmen Foundation.

Utian reports consultant or advisory board work for Bayer, Bene Therapeutics, Bionovo, Cleveland Clinic Foundation Innovations Center, Hygeia (Orcas Therapeutics), Lupin, Merck, Novogyne, Pfizer, Pharmavite, and Teva Women's Health. Other experts in the working group report consultant work for the United Soybean Board, food companies, and pharmaceutical firms.

Benefits of Soy: Practical Matters
    For menopausal symptoms, the recommended starting dose is 50 mg of total isoflavones a day, the researchers write.

A trial of 12 weeks is typically long enough to see if it works.

Because they found more potential benefits from supplements with higher proportions of genistein or increased in S(-)-equol, Utian advises people to look for products with those substances.

Few American women are capable of converting the daidzen to the S(-)-equol, he says.

Getting soy from foods is encouraged, too. Soybeans, including edamame, are high in isoflavones. Soy flour, soy protein isolate, and miso soup also have high isoflavone content.

Benefits of Soy: Perspective
    Overall, the review is supportive of including soy foods for health, says Connie Diekman, RD, director of university nutrition at Washington University in St. Louis. She reviewed the study but did not participate in it.

"But it is clear that more studies are needed in terms of the impact of soy at different ages, soy related to different disease states, and on how soy foods differ from supplements in terms of health," Diekman says.

Although the review does support the idea that soy may help in lowering some cancer risk, relieving hot flashes and other menopausal symptoms, and possibly improve mental abilities, more research is needed, she says.
  • vlynnvale
    vlynnvale Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Almond Milk all the way.
  • bcattoes
    Options
    Just posting information.

But no links to the Harvard studies? I would honestly like to see them because I've always considered the Harvard School of Public Health the most reputable sources for evidence based advice.
  • JeffseekingV
    Options
    One of my posts was from the Harvard study site