Anyone else hate to be called "ma'am"?

Options

Replies

• Mina133842
    Mina133842 Posts: 1,573 Member
    Options
    I think it's way more respectful than: dude, buddy, homey.... lol good 'ol MTV?!!

I also tend to use the "hun" a lot....I guess I "mom" everyone, but not trying to be disrespectful..just a force of habit.
  • spoonful
    spoonful Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I don't like it much either.
  • kansasbelle
    kansasbelle Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    Being southern too I get offended when people don't use ma'am. Please it's a sign of respect. It's called manners which aren't as prevalent in the midwest or in the younger generations.
  • directorj
    directorj Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    Here in CA you don't hear this much ma'am or sir. But when I was on vacation in the Philippines I was called sir way too many times, it ticked me off. I said, I know we are paying you to be our maid and I'm from America but please don't call me sir. They still did it anyways :yawn:
  • HellsKells
    HellsKells Posts: 671 Member
    Options
    I like it. Better than the alternative, I'd assume. I don't like being called "Miss", because it's usually /preceded/followed by a snotty remark.

Alternatively, I've been trying to tone down my use of the word "Dude". My grandma got "dude"'d the other day, and that just isn't right :laugh:
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    "Ma'am" has nothing to do with age, except it's really not used for children. Why would it make you feel old for people to be polite to you? That doesn't make any sense.
  • forgtmenot
    forgtmenot Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    I live in Mississippi so I am used to it. I get called "Ma'am" on a daily basis and I'm only 26. I didn't grow up in the south though, so I rarely say it and if anything I get weird looks when I DON'T say it, especially when speaking to elderly people. What really irks me is when northerners are here visiting and get all pissy when someone who is clearly southern calls them sir or ma'am. This is the deep south, you will be called ma'am/sir here, get used to it!
  • quixoticmantis
    quixoticmantis Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    I don't mind at all. I think it's kind of polite. Maybe it's the southern gal in me? :)
  • AlayshaJ
    AlayshaJ Posts: 703 Member
    Options
    Only when my husband calls me "ma'am"

Anyone else is okay.
  • hatrammell
    hatrammell Posts: 36
    Options
    Better than miss. miss sounds like they're your slave or butler or something.

ooohhh I can't STAND miss!!! I feel you on this one. Maam, I'm ok with sometimes because I know certain people are trying to be polite. I'm 21 and people usually say I look like I'm 17, so I kinda like Maam....but Miss drives me NUTS! lol
  • spike90
    spike90 Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    I can't stand it. It makes me feel so old (I am 40). Even though I am married, I would prefer "miss" or even "hey you"
  • crisanderson27
    crisanderson27 Posts: 5,343 Member
    Options
    I usually use 'Miss'...or if I'm annoyed it's 'Lady'.

Safer that way lol.
  • gpstrucker
    gpstrucker Posts: 930 Member
    Options
    Yes, I do hate being called Ma'am.
  • Redhead48814
    Options
    I feel the same way! I am in a professional position, so maybe I carry myself that way. However, like another woman mentioned, I am ONLY 28. Please... Call me Miss. ;)
  • crisanderson27
    crisanderson27 Posts: 5,343 Member
    Options
    My mom is from the south
    It was always 'clean your room' " yes ma'am"

I yes sir and yes ma'am everyone
    Age 5, 24, 43, or 72
    (yes I really do "yes ma'am" when babysitting kids)
    I even "yes sir" "no sir" my bf

I'm always surprised when a few people are offended
    It's normally people in their 20's or 30's
    It's just how I was raised
    And I'm doing it out of pure respect

Good girl! Wish more people were taught that way nowadays.
  • Lampy00512
    Lampy00512 Posts: 117
    Options
    Nah, I like it :smile: Makes me feel respected.
  • smhammons
    smhammons Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    whats funny is i had a aunt lay into a young man at a grocery store one day for calling her ma'ma and then turn to my mother and began to tell her how disrespectfull people are to one another.. My mother said to her no wonder people have no respect for you because you have none for yourself....
  • Nicolee_2014
    Nicolee_2014 Posts: 1,572 Member
    Options
    As long as someone isn't calling me b!tch or some other profanity - it doesn't really phase me. I find it funny when people younger than me call me love, darling, sweetie or anything like that but again - doesn't bother me. I do work with some people who get really worked up when they get called certain things (non swear words) & I think "who cares" but I do work with people who like to make mountains out of molehills (not implying that the OP is, just saying I know some people who get worked up over nothing) :smile:
  • michellelhartwig
    michellelhartwig Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    I don't mind it! :) But I guess at 35, I'm getting up there in age! lol
  • rmsturdy
    rmsturdy Posts: 73
    Options
    It's a cultural thing. I'm upset if someone doesn't call me ma'am. It's a mark of respect. My swimmers are awesome. Everything is "yes ma'am!" Love it!