Do you still indulge in a drink or two?

Options
I often have a glass of wine with dinner on the weekend and maybe a drink before dinner on weeknights as my husband and I chat about the day. I do log it in and add the calories to my daily count. I know they are empty calories with no nutritional value. What I want to know is, is it possible to be successful while enjoying alcohol. Who has lost weight and still enjoys a drink almost daily.

Replies

• lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    Options
    I'll have 2-3 beers every other week.
  • AprilOneFourFour
    AprilOneFourFour Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I have wine three or four times a week. I like a glass while I'm cooking and one with my meal. I don't eat chocolate or cake or biscuits or crisps, and I'm fine with that, but I wouldn't give up the pleasure of a glass of wine at the end of the day.
    I'm losing a pound a week.
  • g0tr00t
    g0tr00t Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I have one Shocktop Beer with a slice of an orange at night. Its my downtime and helps me relax. I add it to MFP and have not gained weight doing it. My weight is slowly going down.

If I have to bike an extra mile or two or three to burn it off, so be it. I truly enjoy it. :drinker:
  • Healthystarter
    Options
    I like my Red Wine! I am quiet strict with my breakie and lunch and relax a bit in the evening, I enjoy my wine and have a couple of glasses during the week and also a couple over the weekend. This has not hurt my weight loss, but maybe because I do go to the gym 4-5 mornings a week, mainly cardio workout.
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    I have wine three or four times a week. I like a glass while I'm cooking and one with my meal. I don't eat chocolate or cake or biscuits or crisps, and I'm fine with that, but I wouldn't give up the pleasure of a glass of wine at the end of the day.

Same here. I drank, mainly wine, throughout my 30 pound weight loss and continue to do so now I am maintaining. Cutting it out wasn't practical for me, since I knew after I lost weight I'd go right back to drinking! I had to learn how to live with it early on in the process.

Bottoms up, my friends! :drinker:
  • 1nsanity
    1nsanity Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Same here. I drank, mainly wine, throughout my 30 pound weight loss and continue to do so now I am maintaining. Cutting it out wasn't practical for me, since I knew after I lost weight I'd go right back to drinking! I had to learn how to live with it early on in the process.

Bottoms up, my friends! :drinker:

this. i know when i hit my goal im gonna keep drinking, might as well get used to maybe eating a little less throughout the day to calorically afford the alcohol at night. plus, a glass of wine or bottle of beer every so often keeps the blood thin which is an added health benefit.
  • alltacht
    alltacht Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Hell yeah! I would go crazy without my wine or guinness! Like another poster said, maybe sacrifice something else like biscuits or chocolate if you find it hard to fit it into your calories. I would recommend though that on days you drink alcohol to drink extra water or you might retain for a while after. Happy drinking :D
  • Gemma1317
    Gemma1317 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I'm probably what the government would call a binge drinker! I'm on-call alot for work so weeks without a drink but make up for it when I can :-) As long as you log I see no harm. After all a glass of wine a day is good for you!
  • d0gma
    d0gma Posts: 3,966 Member
    Options
    I drink every day. I don't always have 8 glasses of water, but usually at least 7. Also, 1 vitamin water, 1 diet green tea and occassionally even a coke.
  • Cyphio
    Cyphio Posts: 20
    Options
    I still drink, but a lot less then I used to. Usually drinking heavily leads to poor food choices but have found if you track the calories and still make sure you are getting all your nutrients throughout the day, a drink here and there is not going to have a profound effect.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I drink 1/2 bottle of wine with dinner just about every day, and more on the weekends. I eat healthy most of the time and exercise regularly and have been maintaining my weight loss for close to a year now.

Wine is not empty calories. One glass of red wine has antioxidants, 4% RDA iron, and 1% RDA calcium as well as small amounts of other nutrients.
  • SweatpantsRebellion
    SweatpantsRebellion Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    Of course. I plan to indulge in a drink now and then when I'm at goal, so it'd be silly to cut it out now. I'm trying to make changes that I can live with. I can't live without my glass of wine 3-5 nights a week and/or a beer or two on the weekend.
  • mtaylor33557
    mtaylor33557 Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    I had a little square of chocolate and about 4 oz of red wine last night and enjoyed an hour of couch/tv time with my husband.

It has been a long week for us, and I had the calories, so I don't see a problem.

I probably average 1-2 (small) drinks a week, but there may be a 2-4 week period where I don't drink any. Not because of fear it will hurt my weight loss, but just becuase we either don't have it in the house, or I just don't feel like it.
  • butterfli7o
    butterfli7o Posts: 1,319 Member
    Options
    Hell yes, I cannot give up my wine!
  • Cocochickdeleted
    Cocochickdeleted Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    I gave up alcohol while I was actively losing weight, and just recently reintroduced it into my diet. I do fine if I drink just one beer or a couple of shots of alcohol, but I find that if I drink more than that, I want to munch. My hubby has found the same thing, and it's sabotaged him a few times. In my opinion, in moderation, alcohol is fine. If only they could figure out a way to add some protein to it... :-p
  • RoboLikes
    RoboLikes Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    A life without beer or whiskey is not a life worth living.
  • La_Amazona
    La_Amazona Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    It's hard to keep drinking a lot and lose weight.

Lately I've been slacking (I can admit it) because I moved and have become consumed with it.

I'm also drinking more frequently but haven't gained weight. Still I know I have a little time before it starts coming on.

When I'm on it, I'll drink but only on the weekends and I stick to Jack/ Diet Coke mainly.
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    HECK YEAH!, try 5 or 6!!! LOVE MY WINE!!!!!!!, but only on weekends now,,,,,, unless its hot and we are by the pool having a bbq...
  • IamJacksColdSweat
    IamJacksColdSweat Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I indulge in whatever I want- just as long as I'm eating no more than the serving size (well, for highly processed and/or caloric foods). I'll have a beer whenever I feel like it, or a vodka tonic.

Intuitive eating FTW
  • ALH1981
    ALH1981 Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    they way you are indulging is perfectly fine - you have them within your calorie limits and its all accounted for - i see no problem!

My problem is one drink means two, means3 means 4 means a chocolate and card binge which is over in all accounts, and a hangover the next day....

see? You have no problem!!!

<currently detoxing>!!! haha