Genetics-- is that why you're overweight?

Options

Replies

• takingnameskickingbutt
    takingnameskickingbutt Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I don't know if that is exactly what the documentary said. What it said was that it is evolution and the ease of access of food that caused a propensity to gain weight. It is simply not genetically programmed for humans to turn down food. For example, in the times of scarcity, humans would scarf down a carcass because of both scarcity and lack of refridgeration. So humans haven't evolved the off switch. I think that is what the documentary meant.
  • saragato
    saragato Posts: 1,154
    Options
    Is everyone in the US related? too much inbreeding, I guess.

Nope, only in West Virginia.

You forgot Mississippi.

I have no proof of Mississippi being anything other than stupid. I had a friend who hailed from West Virginia and admitted quite openly about the curious lack of variety in last names and how everyone was related one way or another.
  • mandihdz
    mandihdz Posts: 19
    Options
    Yep. I have a genetic predisposition toward pasta, whiskey, coca-cola, and peanut butter.

It all plays a part, though. If I neglect myself, I default to skinny fat. Other people seem to default to ginormous, and other people seem to default to awesome. Lucky *kitten*, lol.

lmao!!
  • Dayna154
    Dayna154 Posts: 910 Member
    Options
    The way your body is built and the way you carry excess weight: yes, genetics. My sister has a medium frame and carries all of her weight in her stomach area, so when she gains a few lbs due to poor eating habits/not exercising, that's where it shows up, just like my mother, her mother, and her mother...

I was blessed with the body frame of the women on my dad's side: very proportionate, small framed women who gain weight extremely evenly. I can weigh 15lbs more than my sister (and she's 4 inches taller than I am) and appear to be the same clothing size.

The actual physical gaining of the weight, however, is due to what you're putting in your mouth and how much or how little you're moving around. Now, if your family has always had poor eating habits and you gained weight just like the rest of them (or they had healthy eating habits and you remained in good shape like the rest of them) then it's not just your genes, it's the poor (or great) eating habits you learned from your family.

I agree with this...
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    Watched Weight of the Nation on HBO last night. Had some interesting facts if you can make it past all the drama. According to the show, genetics are accountable for 60-70% of the factors that contribute to body weight.

Do you agree with this estimation? Do you think you were born to be a healthy weight, overweight, or obese? If not, what has led you to believe otherwise?

I fully diagree with this, I think training and education are accountable for at least 80% of body weight (just weight, not weight distribution). If it were simply a matter of genetics then you wouldn't have people of various sizes in the same family. Yes, overweight parents may have overweight children, but they eat together, they live together, they share a lifestyle . . . parents teach their lifestyle to their children. Obesity is on the rise since our society started depending more on prepackaged/fast food and the lifestyle became more stagnant. Work days are longer, play time is shorter, kids spend less time with parents as it almost requires 2 incomes to run a household anymore, parents have less time to cook and look for more convenient options, parents don't teach children to cook, children don't know how to cook and have adopted their parents habits of convenience foods and a stagnant life. I really think that 80% of the time "genetics" is a cop-out excuse.
  • Caffeinewitch
    Caffeinewitch Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    My fault: over eating and not exercising, gained a lot of weight

Genetics: my inability to lose weight with any speed. For example, my uncle who survived throat cancer had chemo. Most folks when they have that treatment can lose up to 50 pounds - terrible diet option, btw - he lost 12. This is the uncle on my mother's side and she and I have constantly battled to lose weight. It sucks. Glad my uncle's alive though!
  • PrfctGdess
    PrfctGdess Posts: 257
    Options
    I'm sculpting my own body and kicking genetics in the soft bits. :flowerforyou:

hahahaha LOVE this! :smile:
  • Prettylittlelotus
    Prettylittlelotus Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    What people don't get is that being able to retain body fat is actually a genetic benefit.
    Who is going to survive a famine?

True, but the more realistic question is who will survive the ZOMBIES?
  • cspong
    cspong Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    The way your body is built and the way you carry excess weight: yes, genetics. My sister has a medium frame and carries all of her weight in her stomach area, so when she gains a few lbs due to poor eating habits/not exercising, that's where it shows up, just like my mother, her mother, and her mother...

The actual physical gaining of the weight, however, is due to what you're putting in your mouth and how much or how little you're moving around. Now, if your family has always had poor eating habits and you gained weight just like the rest of them (or they had healthy eating habits and you remained in good shape like the rest of them) then it's not just your genes, it's the poor (or great) eating habits you learned from your family.

Yup. Im fat because of how much crap I used to eat. I carry most of it on my legs hips and bum because of genetics.
  • FlyeredUp
    FlyeredUp Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    I was fat from being lazy and poor eating habits, not going to fib to myself and blame genetics, Obama or the Easter Bunny.
  • ElizaRoche
    ElizaRoche Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    not at all.. grandparents, parents , sister, cousins, aunts, uncles are thin. I dont remember any fat family member, well, they might have a few extra pounds, but thats all.
    As for me, I was obese cause I used to ate a lot, and cause of stress.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    Genetics may play a part but I think environment, as in how you're raised, is a MUCH larger factor.

My father will still tell stories about how fat he got in high school (200 lbs, 5'7"ish) but for most of his life he's been in fairly good shape - maybe a tiny bit overweight but never obese. My mother has only ever been slightly overweight a few times in her life, usually stress/winter eating, and always manages to take it back off very quickly with little effort. I have some cousins and a couple aunts with obesity issues so there's probably a 50/50 split in my family tree. It's my belief that their issues are similar to mine (emotional eating), plus they just don't seem to know HOW to eat healthy or care to be active.

I did not get fat at age 18 and stay fat for nearly 18 years after that and balloon up to 260 pounds because of genetics. It was an excuse I used because it sounds a lot better than "eating my feelings is easier than dealing with them" or "I'm afraid to change". The only thing I'll attribute to genetics is my medium to large frame which will prevent me from ever being teeny tiny - and frankly that's ok with me. Nothing wrong with being a strong farm girl. :)
  • losermomof3
    losermomof3 Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    My mom is thin and everyone on her side of the family is. My dad has always been over weight along with his mom. My grandmother died weighing over 400lbs. I am told I am a spitting image of her. I have two boys that come from two different fathers and they both come from thin families. They are very thin. My daughter looks just like me...my mini me..and she is over weight for her age. I feel that genetics and what we are taught at a young age does have some part in it. Is it my fault that I am over weight and is it my fault my daughter is over weight? Yes and I take full responsibility. Am I doing something about it??? I am certainly trying!!!!!!!
  • ZombieDiva76
    ZombieDiva76 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    What people don't get is that being able to retain body fat is actually a genetic benefit.
    Who is going to survive a famine?

True, but the more realistic question is who will survive the ZOMBIES?

<
    Currently trying to improve my odds of survival in the event of a zombie apocolypse. :wink:
  • BAMFMeredith
    BAMFMeredith Posts: 2,829 Member
    Options
    Genetics can play some role, but I think what and how much we eat plays a far greater role. But, to pull out the saying from a comic I saw the other day....

It is ironic that religiously zealous people will say homosexuality is a choice, but that obesity is genetic....

*runs from the flamethrowers*

This is literally the first thing that popped into my head when I read this post, but I bit my tongue for fear of the flamethrowers!
  • Nerdy_Rose
    Nerdy_Rose Posts: 1,277 Member
    Options
    I gained weight due to bad decisions and a medical condition.
    70% bad decisions, 30% medical condition. Honestly.
  • MystikPixie
    MystikPixie Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    I can see how it may be genetic for others but for me, I am the only fat one. My parents were not and are not fat now. They were very athletic in their youth. I on the other hand became overweight at about age 10 and have been that way every since. I wish I couldve inherited the athletic gene from them.
  • Bentley2718
    Bentley2718 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    I love how scientists carefully design and carry out research, and people feel the need to give their opinion about it, as though their opinion somehow overrides careful, systematic, research. I'm not saying that all research is perfect, trust me, I'm a strong critic of a lot of research (it's an occupational hazard for me) but I in no way think that my *opinion* on a topic is somehow more valid that even mediocre research, unless I can back that opinion up with the results of better studies. Keep in mind that the studies you are hearing about have likely been published in peer-reviewed journals, which means that the research has already been vetted by other subject matter experts.
  • zaithyr
    zaithyr Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    They do to a certain extent. For example: a lot of women in my family have PCOS, insulin resistance, anemia, hypothyroidism, and either diabetes or hypoglycemia. Also metabolic problems run in my family. All this even in women in my family who have managed to remain average sized. All those factors can contribute to weight gain and make it harder than the average person to lose weight. The trick is getting diagnosed with all of it and working with your doctor to get it under control so that you can focus on doing the basics like diet and exercise and not be so hindered at weight loss.
  • BeingAwesome247
    BeingAwesome247 Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options

Agreed. You may have chunky thighs or a big butt because of genetics, but you are not obese because of genetics. You're obese because you have poor eating and exercise habits.

This is just what we needed ... another excuse for people to stay unhealthy.

^^^^ Couldn't agree any more! If I were to continually blame genetic, I'd be HUGE, but I take responsibility for myself and my weight. I know, in what range I feel best and it isn't in the range my body would naturally have me settle at. It's all about personal responsibility.
    Genetics can play some role, but I think what and how much we eat plays a far greater role. But, to pull out the saying from a comic I saw the other day....

It is ironic that religiously zealous people will say homosexuality is a choice, but that obesity is genetic....

*runs from the flamethrowers*

This is literally the first thing that popped into my head when I read this post, but I bit my tongue for fear of the flamethrowers!

Love all of the above!

I was blessed with the body type that my fat is evenly distributed, however OVER EATING caused me to gain weight. OVER EATING caused my family members to gain weight. They can use "genetics" all they want but that's BS and a crutch. It's because they don't know when to put the darn fork down

image005.jpg
    ^^^^ You're NOT BIG BONED, You're FAT