Do I count calories from fruits and vegetables?

Options

Replies

• temsabi
    temsabi Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I count everything food-wise (just not water or daily mundane activities), but that doesn't mean you have to. The tools provided by MFP are just that--tools. Nothing on this site is going to be 100% accurate anyway, so do with it what you will and take everything with a grain of salt. If right now you don't feel you need to track you fruit and veg intake, then don't! You can always change your mind later.

P.S. By "everything" I mean on days that I actually log my food. There are definitely days when I know I'll be eating things that I'll never know the calories of, so I don't track those days.
  • TheAnie
    TheAnie Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    If it goes in your mouth, then count it.

Welllll.......
    :laugh:
  • BrentJulius
    BrentJulius Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    usually you just count fruit (including avocados and tomatoes) but no need on veggies.. any carbs are mostly fiber anyways
  • Werglum
    Werglum Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    Sorry if I'm repeating other posts (I haven't read them all!) I have double tracked for quite a while (the new ww points and mfp) and have found that on mfp you should track fruits and vegetables. With weight watchers it seems that they have given you a base amount of calories that is about 300-400 lower than mfp, but when you add on the fruits and veg it works out at about the same. If you didn't count them you will end up going over by the 300 - 400 calories they have taken off for ww each day.
    I'm not sure if that makes sense!! Also this is only my observation after double tracking for a couple of months.

Oh yeah - they recommend 2 servings of fruit and 5 of vegetables per day, I'm usually over for the fruit (maybe 4 serves) and I'm still losing weight, but I imagine if you went fruit crazy you could easily go way over the 300 - 400 calories they've allowed as 'free' per day.
  • sa11yjane
    sa11yjane Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    I've had years of Slimming World so still think of certain foods as 'free'! However, I log absolutely everything on here as ultimately everything counts; it's not a 'test' or designed to trick you, it's just about you accurately logging everything you eat in order to manage/balance the calories. Good luck!
  • alyson820
    alyson820 Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    If you bite it, write it
  • albayin
    albayin Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options
    yes, especially fruits. People can easily overdo with fruits...
  • BunnyLover24
    Options
    I did WW for a while and fruits and veggies were "free" (except corn, potatoes, avocados, and bananas). I'm counting the calories of everything that I eat except the fruits and veggies; I feel like I shouldn't "punish" myself for choosing cherry tomatoes over Hershey's kisses.

Should I be counting the calories of ALL the foods I eat, including the fruits and veggies? Again, I don't want to "punish" myself by subtracting calories from my daily amount, even though I chose wisely. Suggestions? Anyone else not counting their fruit and vegetable calories?

Many people eventually plateau on WW because of the unlimited fruits and veggies. While these are great foods for you, they can still be high in sugar (like a cup of grapes is pretty much your whole sugar for the day, maybe even over) so you should definitely track them. Calories are calories so you should definitely include every calorie that goes in. Also, (I just learned this) you should play around with your calorie allowance. Apparently 1,200 is too low for many people. Use the BMR calculator in the tools option to find out how many calories is best.... try increasing to around 1400-1600 and see how that goes. Adjust as needed.
  • CoryIda
    CoryIda Posts: 7,887 Member
    Options
    Punish yourself?
    Really?
    If you eat a 100 calorie banana, it adds 100 calories to your daily total. It doesn't take out a whip and beat you.
  • ScottFree_66
    ScottFree_66 Posts: 200
    Options
    P.S. By "everything" I mean on days that I actually log my food. There are definitely days when I know I'll be eating things that I'll never know the calories of, so I don't track those days.

I have those days as well, but I do the best I can to find the foods on MFP and enter them anyways. Everything gets entered everyday. I might put a note on the posting that "Today was a free day"... or cheat day... or whatever you want to call it.
  • Tzippy7
    Tzippy7 Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    why do you think of it as punishment ? I love logging healthy things, It makes me feel good about my day. And yes, you should log everything. EVERYTHING. Just because something is healthy doesnt mean its calorie free. You should be eating it and logging it .
  • honeysprinkles
    honeysprinkles Posts: 1,757 Member
    Options
    Yes, count them. It's not a punishment. Your body counts them whether you do or not.
  • saraann4
    saraann4 Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    Count everything!
  • LilynEdensmom
    LilynEdensmom Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    I tried that way of thinking and the scale didn't move for over a month...You can over eat on anything even veggies and fruits..Calories are calories at the end of the day. I started logging everything and stopped looking at this a punishment (and even splurge once in a while on "junk") but stick within the calories set in front of me.
  • delco714
    delco714 Posts: 229
    Options
    Fruit is sugar. Write it down.

this is the take home message more than any other..

have a mango.. boom 30g of sugar..

of course sugar in fruit is the best kind of sugar you should eat.. but still. ....30g
  • BriskisGrl
    BriskisGrl Posts: 461
    Options
    I count my veggies and fruit..
  • rmartin72
    rmartin72 Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    If it goes in your mouth count it. :)

I honestly agree with you!!
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    It isn't a punishment, it is just an honest account of what you are taking in. No more, no less.

This.
  • capnwo85
    capnwo85 Posts: 1,103 Member
    Options
    Fruit is sugar. Write it down.

this is the take home message more than any other..

have a mango.. boom 30g of sugar..

of course sugar in fruit is the best kind of sugar you should eat.. but still. ....30g

and....? Name one person who got fat from eating all that SUGARY fruit.
  • tugers2
    tugers2 Posts: 139
    Options
    every calorie counts, say if you have 3 servings of veg and 3 servings of fruit that prob around 240 calories give or take right there... im on a 1200 cal diet and that amount is way too much not to be accounting for