WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR MAY 2012

Options

Replies

• mazaron
    mazaron Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    A happy Saturday to all, :happy:

We have sunshine here and I am sending J’boy and DH out to the hills to do some trail bike riding (motorized kind). I would love, love, love to get my own motorbike out of storage but will wait for the foot to catch up to me. :grumble: First stop will be the Farmer's Market though, and the farm gate for some fresh asparagus. It's almost done, and I want to enjoy every stalk before the season is over.

Took a "rest day" yesterday from the gym. My foot is feeling much, much better.

Yeah Mary, schools out for summer! Moving classrooms, what a pain. :grumble:

Michelle, your carrots story reminded me that when we bring raw veggies and dip for snacks at school the students always eat the whole thing. They really enjoy raw veggies and fruit. Lobster tails are a long way from carrots on the menu scale but…yummy! Hope you got Jessica to the airport on time.

Always Nancy, my head sweats like crazy too! :noway: I wear a headband to soak up some of the drips, but I’m always dripping. I have a lot of hair, that’s what I tell myself. That boot camp sounds like so much fun! Really, I do think it would be fun. I might suggest it to the programmers at our Rec Centre. Boot camp for folks in their 50’s.

Jen, to quote The Happiness Project: “act the way you want to feel” It’s tough love for your own self, but it works.

Fitz, what a wonderful welcoming come you must have, to be able to say “the others just seemed to show up with my kids and pretty much stayed” :love: They were blessed, for sure. Cars create quite a community, don’t they?

JB JB, is it 35 push ups at one time or 35 over a couple of sets? :explode: I can’t do more that 8 manly ones or 12-15 girlie ones in a set.

Laura8011, once upon a time my DH was interviewed for a job. In May or June. The offer came in late November. How’s that for process? :noway: Still hoping for your DH.

Veronica, I’m recovering from surgery too, I’ve been in a wheelchair or on crutches for the last six weeks and have six more to go. Walking’s out for me but I do lots of upper body work just to keep active. Hope your recovery goes well.

Mimi, hooray fro water aerobics. I can hardly wait for the OK from the surgeon to get into the pool. Ah, “The Book Thief”, intriguing and amazing is a good way to describe it. I am making my way through the Hunger Games trilogy, it's pretty much required reading since the students I work with are obsessed with it.

Barbie, are you sure you’re retired? What a busy life you have.

To mis-quote a friend of mine from above: "Stay lean, eat your greens" See you on the other side.

Hasta pronto,

Nancy
  • jaks97
    jaks97 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Have been busy, starting back and hope to be checking in more often
    Sherry
  • walker001
    walker001 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Hi all, hope everyone is having a good Saturday. I did for sure, it was sunny and the temp was so nice. Did somemore yard work and even had an short nap today.
    Right now we are watching baseball. The Texax Rangers and my Toronto Blue Jays. We love Baseball and watch almost every game on TV, love it when it is on HD.

When we were in NY at my sons we went to a Mets game, what fun.

Hope to get out on our bikes tomorrow afternoon. The weather has been wonderful now and it is still only spring.

Have a good weekend all.
  • jellyfishjen
    jellyfishjen Posts: 1,787 Member
    Options
    Just checking in. Will catch up with you all later, (I hope). You never know what life brings you. Have been in the city staying with my daughter since last wednesday. First to see An Officer and a Gentleman the musical. Very good. Stayed on to work thursday. Daughter had migraine. (stress) . Stayed friday for daughters show, dancer in Memoirs of a Showgirl. So proud of her. She is the baby of the group and was amazing. Saturday stayed as was hung over I guess from champagne at end of show. Now Sunday I am still with her and have started her washing, while she showers, we are thinking of going out for breakfast. But I really must go home today ready for this next busy week begins. As for weight loss this week I highly doubt there will be any.
  • jellyfishjen
    Options
    <<< my girl is in pink beside her dad.
  • westernjoy
    westernjoy Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Glad to see everyone is doing so well. I just wanted to let you know about NSV. I wore sleeveless top. Not ashamed of my arms anymore. SWSY is helping a lot.
    Hope everyone is having a great weekend
    Joyce
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,972 Member
    Options
    :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: too busy to post today.....beautiful weather----we bought some plants for the yard and a paint sprayer so we can paint the fence and the deck....a friend came over to walk with me, Jake wanted to go for a walk, and the poodles wanted to walk early in the day and in the late afternoon when it was cool.....now off to bed so i can be ready to get up when Bernie says it's time :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

:flowerforyou: JB, I wonder what kind of pushups you are doing? are they all at once or in smaller sets? I do my pushups using the seat of a chair and do ten in each set and do either two or three sets.....I haven't tried the "manly " kind in awhile, maybe it's time to get the mat out and try again.
  • wizzywig
    wizzywig Posts: 1,246 Member
    Options
    :smile: Sorry not been in touch for a while, Internet problems! Need to be careful (and hardly use it!!) until 1st June. Tied in with BT until August but then will change to a better deal with another supplier.

:glasses: :glasses: Amanda it's been sunny here too for the last few days too, about time I thought summer was going to by pass us altogether. :bigsmile:

:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: Happy Birthday to all the May birthday girls I think I may have missed some.:drinker:

:wink: Nothing much to report on my weight, still up and down, but I'm hoping that once I start logging again I'll start losing and it will stay off.

:flowerforyou: Barbie looking at the SWSY book it mentions weights do you use kettle weights or dumb bell weights, need to see if I can buy some dumb bells and leg weights from somewhere. I do miss the internet - I would normally google or look on Amazon. :grumble:

Not sure if I'll be able to catch up with you all before June, so I'll look out for the June thread and meet you all there.:flowerforyou:

Miss you!
  • tiarapants
    tiarapants Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    Just a quickie to say to Barbiecat - I absolutely love your profile pic!! Made me grin x
  • barbiecat
    Options
    :bigsmile: Amanda, thanks for the comment on my profile pic.....that's Sasha, the red standard poodle, and Bernie, the Maine Coon cat......they sleep side by side and love being together.

:drinker: Viv, I use dumbbells, primarily because I already had 3, 5, and 10 pound sets and I liked using them. For Valentine's Day hubby bought me a set of 15 pound dumbbells........I bought my five pound ankle weights at Big Five Sporting Goods. I saw them at Wal Mart, as well. I bought the 10 pound set from Amazon (they had a free shipping offer---I can't imagine what the shipping would have been on a 20 pound package:laugh: :laugh: )

:flowerforyou: I'm doing an Isagenix cleanse day today so I'll be doing less exercise and more puttering around the house while watching TV and maybe take a nap.

:flowerforyou: now it's time to walk the dogs around the neighborhood......poodles never have a rest day :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • jb_2011
    jb_2011 Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    Another cool, cloudy morning, feels like rain. Yesterday the sun finally broke through in the afternoon, and oh my, was that ever nice! :love: Worked for hours in the garden, was exhausted afterwards, but it's always a good kind of tired after a full day of planting, digging and weeding. Just before dark I walked the dogs and sure enough, KaBoom KaBoom came the thunder followed by giant drops of rain. The clouds must have snuck in while we were having dinner. Got drenched again. :tongue:

:flowerforyou: Nancy and Barbie, I'm doing knee push ups, the girlie kind, and for some reason I've been writing down the total number instead of reps/sets which I realize now is a bit misleading. :blushing: I can do 20+ without pausing, but found it works better to do 3 sets of 11 or 12 reps. When I first started doing them in March I could only manage a total of 14, so I'm really seeing some good progress! You've both inspired me so much, I can't thank you enough for that. At the end of the sets I think of you two and tell myself "C'mon, you can do a few more!" :bigsmile: Just recently started doing the plank, so once I'm a little better with that I'll try some manly type push ups. At this point it's all I can do to hold the plank for 10 seconds, can't imagine lifting my weight up from that position! :grumble:

:flowerforyou: Laura, I'm trying not to worry but I'll tell you, sometimes I wake up in the middle of the night in a panic and have to force myself to stop thinking about what's going to happen if hubby can't find work. It's no fun. I have a feeling I'm going to have to start looking for more work myself. :ohwell: I hope you're doing ok. :wink:

:happy: Joyce, great feeling being able to feel comfortable in a sleeveless top! That's just wonderful!

:drinker: Have a terrific day everyone.

jb
  • kackie
    kackie Posts: 676 Member
    Options
    A quick hello, Dear Ladies!]]

Read the posts and enjoyed hearing what everyone is up to...we still have a house full of babies and young adults! Never a moment to myself, but DID wake up early enough today to sneak out the door for a fast walk and bit of a run before the baby woke up. I have been trying to help with her so son and DIL could enjoy a bit of a vacation with their friends. Anyway, if the Tropical depression doesn't interfere, the 2 FL families will drive home tomorrow and we will have our 2 granddaughters and parents to ourselves, which will be a nice treat!

Robin: Happy birthday! Hope it's a great one!

Mimi: I loved the Book Thief. And I miss being part of a book club...it got me to read some things I might not have on my own and I always loved hearing other peoples' point of view. Hope the water aerobics helps your bursitis. I am also prone to it and have found that regular fish oil AND certain yoga poses have really helped so much. You are doing all the right things!

Barbie: yes, the new photo is darling!

All of you teachers who are now out of school for the season or almost: WTG! I remember that feeling well. I hope you have a much deserved break:flowerforyou:

JFJen: Your daughter is gorgeous!

Sorry so short...but eyes are barely open. I have not done too well the past few days with my logging and have gone over I am sure by a few too many "treats". I will be glad to get back on tract this week.

Have a good one, Kackie
  • jellyfishjen
    Options
    Why is it when you go off track it is so hard to get back on. I know my head just isn't in it, today. I have bought plenty of healthy foods. And I had my meals planned for the day with the proviso that I was doing zumba tonight and now it has been cancelled. I now have to dig deep and burn some serious calories myself at home, tonight, ignoring all the chores that I could be doing. Thats why I prefer to go to class and its then my time. Oh well!
  • auntiebk
    auntiebk Posts: 2,513 Member
    Options
    jb we got your rain all day Friday and Saturday. Finally cleared a little yesterday afternoon so I could go out and do battle with the weeds. Mild winter and wet spring, milkweed the size of small trees ;P T's a cutie, gotta love:heart: those terriers. SWSY and 35 pushups, you inspire me!
    valj77, myraknits welcome!
    SMVQ I am so sorry to hear abut hte bursitis. Count on you to find a positive alternative, water aerobics Hurray!:drinker:
    Belated happy b-day Robin. Hope Ritter didn't get zapped when he unplugged your alarm!
    Barbie your line dance party sounds great! Which dances did you lead? Your maine coon cat is your morning alarm?
    Jane stairs sure are a killer. Exercises help me... WHEN I do 'em consistently :ohwell:
    Amanda the sun sure does feel good on these bones.. hot tub does too :wink:
    AlaysNancy "and the lawn won" made me laugh out loud until I got to the tick part. :sick: Maybe you need a goat?
    Nancy Lots of upperbody work despite being in a wheelchair and on crutches, WOW! Inspiring!:love:
    Jen had to click on the pic to see your babygirl, can tell from her smile she takes after you! Oh yea, Zumba is WAY more fun than chores.:bigsmile:
    Joyce your sleeveless shirt nsv make me wat to try SWSY again, despite the batwing reality.:noway:
    Viv thanks for popping in, missing you too.:smile:
    Kackie thanks for the fish oil reminder, I've been slackin':huh:

:yawn: Laura80111, Kat, Michele, Sherry, Walker001 an anyone else I missed, can't respond like others to every post but read 'em all and send you all my best...

Hugs,
    animal-emoticon-0064.gif

steps:
    27=4088:yawn: 26=5411:explode: 25=10053 24=4351:angry: 23=12155 22=8299:ohwell: 21=10834 20=1837:sad: 19=10440 18=4583:grumble: 17=11646 16=18349 15=17066 14=10677 13=2316:noway: 12=11167 11=8173:indifferent: 10=7642:embarassed: 09=11971 08= 07= 06= 05= 04= 03= 02=9169 01=8364:tongue:

Barbara, the AHMOD who WILL be size 10 one day
    May: mat, SWSY, chiro or spa EVERY day. Average 10K steps/day. Let it be. Really.
    2012: dance more, bark less and CHECK IN!!!
  • rpphillip
    rpphillip Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    Hi Ladies:smile:

I had a wonderful weekend and now at work , but just wanted to stop in and say hello.
    Hope you all had a great time as well and are having a good morning!:flowerforyou:

Rachel
  • barbiecat
    Options
    :flowerforyou: jb, here is a link to the plank I do on forearms and toes.

http://exercise.about.com/od/abs/ss/abexercises_10.htm

I started with a short time and added five seconds a day until now i can do one for two minutes.....this is something I do every day.

I joined a plank a day challenge on MFP that has over 100 members and after less than a month about five people are posting :laugh:
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,383 Member
    Options
    Welcome myraknits! Can you have just ONE piece of the Dove chocolate? Knowing that you will be having it may take the desire away, or at the very least, help it subside somewhat

alwaysnancy - I so wish we had a bootcamp like yours around here.

I did an hour of yoga today (Sat). Orignally, I'd planned to do hulahoop on the Wii. But that was when I thought I'd just be getting back from Italy (and having all the food there). Since I'm not, I'm going to do a pilates DVD tomorrow. Then probably go to WalMart. Want to buy these clips for Denise's birthday and I'll have everything ready to send to her. I'm making her cake right now.

Well, that first cake that I made for Denise didn't turn out quite as I had hoped. So I made another. See, it has good flavor, but in order to have that "layer of fudge" on the top, you need to undercook it just a little bit. So if you follow the directions exactly, sometimes it undercooks enough, sometimes not enough. So I just baked this cake for longer, there isn't the layer of fudge yet it has a very fudgy flavor.

Nancy - we got Jessica to the airport on time. Today (Sun) we pick her up. Love your friend's quote, I will have to remember that one

Sherry - welcome back!

Joyce - wooHoo on the sleeveless top. I like a bit of a cap sleeve myself, but sometimes sleeveless is good

Did 45 minutes of a pilates DVD today. We did these pushups, pilates you usually only do a small amount of reps but the concentration is more on form. I was able to do the full 8 pushups on the floor. Of course, by the end I was ready to die! Tomorrow I'll do some yoga and then take the extremepump class

Well, it's Mon. Did 20 min yoga, then went to the store, brought things home since I got some refrigerated items (gas waste), bought gas, was early for the extremepump class so I walked on the treadmill for 10 minutes, took the extreme pump class, bought Jessica suntan lotion (what she wants is usually expensive, but it was on sale, I had coupons, plus for every two I got $5 gift card), went bowling for 3 games, mailed Denise's birthday card, now I'm home getting ready for Jessica to leave.

Better post this before it gets too long.

Hope everyone has a great day

Michele
  • tiarapants
    tiarapants Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    Hello ladies

I'm having my 'detox' couple of days. It's been lovely and warm for the last few days, so it's a good time to do it. I couldn't sleep last night and ended up getting up and getting a really good walk in. Felt good.

I had a bit of a light bulb moment yesterday. One of the forum posts was looking for people who had 50 pounds or more to lose and for the first time in decades, I don't ... in fact I couldn't even afford to lose ten pounds! That is such a strange feeling, even though I have excess skin, I know that losing more weight won't help me. Anyway, I got on the scales this morning and decided I would own up to what I am now and the fact that I have lost a further 3 pounds since I last logged my weight on my ticker.

That is a grand total of 191 pounds gone.... and they are not being allowed house room in this body ever again!

Enough of me tooting my own trumpet - I need to go and feed my DH.

A good and healthy week to you all, my friends - you help keep me honest!

Love to you all.

Amanda x
  • Skyecath
    Skyecath Posts: 33
    Options
    Hello Everyone

I have had a lovely extended weekend away. The sun has been shining and we've caught up with lots of family, ex neighbours and friends. We picked up our DD from university on Thursday evening, spent a nice day with her on Friday and then took her to the airport on Saturday morning to go off on her travels for 6 weeks. I'm trying to not worry about her being away, fingers crossed she'll be safe.

The bad part of the last few days has been a visit to the dentist. I need a root filling and an extraction. I am a complete whimp when it comes to the dentist, I just can't cope with it at all. I have been referred to have the treatment under sedation but am still quite worried about it. The first part will be in about a months time :cry: I'm going to try to forget about it until then.

We're here for another day and then we're heading back north to Scotland on Wednesday. It's been great seeing everyone but will be nice to get back to our beautiful home and view and of course duckling Winston.

Confession - I have been sooooo bad with food and lots of wine. I haven't even logged my food for the last few days. Back to being strict again tomorrow.

Bye for now
    Cath
  • djhobs
    djhobs Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Had a nice long weekend at the lake...did my gardening there...which is an embankment that runs about 50 feet long and is at least 24 feet high and quite steep...I actually use a 6 foot ladder on the lower part because it is too steep otherwise. I keep itsomewhat wild but have lots of lilies, tall phlox, bee balm planted throughout and the garden that I pulled out at home...yeah that is being planted up there. I finally ran our of steam..climbing up and down that ladder is not for the faint of heart and the neighbors think I 'm nuts too!

This morning dh and I went kayaking..it was fabulous (once we got them on the car) we think paddled about 8 miles total but notreally sure...coming back was against the wind and current...good workout. I could feel my muscles talking to me for quite awhile after.

A little tired tonight..have a good evening all
    :heart:
    Jen