Diet sodas. Yes or No?

Options

Replies

• mom2mozart
    mom2mozart Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    NO. Drink iced tea instead. Soda is a bunch of nasty chemicals. No nutritional value at all. Herbal teas can taste sweet without even adding sugar. My favorites are Bigelow Perfect Peach and Bigelow Mint Medley. I make pitchers and refrigerate them. Great for a tasty drink with no calories. Buy a bunch of cooler cups or save water bottles and refill them with the iced tea to take with you.

Tea has antioxidants too...
  • slepygrl
    slepygrl Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    I know diet soda is the devil! I KNOW!! BUT!! I LOVE IT!! I'm trying very hard to stay away from regular soda. (Right now I would kill for a Mountain Dew!!)
    I'll stick with diet, then in a few weeks I'll cut that too. I just can't go cold turkey.

~Jodi
  • amyllu
    amyllu Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Diet anything is a big nono for me. Am very allergic to aspartame and a lot of the other types of sweetners. I get headaches and oedoma and feel generally really unwell if I drink anything like that. The ony kind of juice I have is cranberry as it staves off my getting gout and then it's only a small glass now and again.
  • ashb1216
    ashb1216 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I would stay away from sodas, diet or not. They are very unhealthy for you and provide no nutritional value. I would stick strictly to water, teas (green tea) and juices (but not the store bought juices, I would try out a juicer).... The soda just adds toxins to your body.
  • Spokez70
    Spokez70 Posts: 548 Member
    Options
    I was a huge Diet Coke drinker but gave it up about two months ago and now I don't miss it at all. I pretty much just drink water now- maybe a cup of coffee or glass of Ice Tea a couple times a week.
  • mdj1501
    mdj1501 Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    I used to drink 3 or 4 Pepsi"s a day... regular. I can't generally get past the nasty taste of diet drinks. I will occasionally have a diet orange or diet rootbeer but I do think they are worse health wise than regular sugar. I drink water with MIO drops now, or coffee.
  • temp666777
    temp666777 Posts: 169
    Options
    If it helps you lose dozens of kilos of fat .. great !

the more overall necessity is to LOWER YOUR CARBOHYDRATE intake. that will reduce your sugar cravings.
  • Altruista75
    Altruista75 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    I haven't had any soda (diet or regular) since August and don't miss it one bit anymore.
  • tmauck4472
    tmauck4472 Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    I am down to one diet pop a day....trying to cut that one out but it's my caffiene fix for the day. I don't drink coffee and to much tea gives me a migrain. I will get out of the one pop soon. I don't like reg pop, it's to sweet and I don't want to have to add the calories to my daily intake..takes away from my food.
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options
    Lol no kind of soda is good for you, but I say if you want one once in awhile go for the regular, and one a day doesn't count as once in awhile
  • Robin_Bin
    Robin_Bin Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options
    Your choice. There are trade-offs in everything. But since you asked...

They are a "no" for me. Some artificial sweeteners give me a headache or even kick off a migraine; others leave such a bad taste in my mouth that I want to eat everything to get rid of the taste. So, I stay away from them. (There are a bunch of common toothpaste and mouthwash brands I won't use because I get an aftertaste from saccharine that lasts for hours. I want my mouth to taste fresh after cleaning.) Even some of the new "natural" forms of sugar can have some odd effects.

Shortly before starting MFP, I tried a new kind of bread from a brand I'd eaten before, without reading the label carefully enough (just read far enough to check calories and fiber per slice, but not actual ingredients), after 2 slices in the evening and 2 more the next morning, I was very sick the next day, but with weird symptoms, no normal symptoms like congestion or digestive issues, just pain all over, not just a headache, and terribly tired. The day after when I was trying to figure out anything I'd done differently from normal, the bread was the only thing different, so I read the label... 2 artificial sweeteners. Threw out the rest of that bread. Usually I taste those... but this time I didn't, wasn't even aware of them and still got some nasty effects.

I collected a bunch of suggestions from other threads about drinking water or other low cal alternatives into a blog at http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/Robin_Bin?month=201205
  • chubbies35
    chubbies35 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I stay away from Soda especially the dark ones like Coke, Pepsi, etc,,,, If i crave for something bubbly,, i will get sparkled flavored water or Ginger Ale, Sprite, 7up,, things of that nature,,, i hardly drink fruit juices,, my fridge is mostly stacked with Crystal Light that i make by the Gallon,,:smile:
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,663 Member
    Options
    I spoke with a trainer about this last year at the gym I was attending. He said if you're going to drink pop you're better off drinking regular pop instead of diet. He said t he diet pop actually makes you hungry.

Here's a piece I copied from something I read:
    Sugar on the Brain
    Instead of sugar, diet sodas have artificial sweeteners, which help you avoid consuming some 100 calories per serving. But it's possible that soft drinks, whether they have natural sugar or an artificial sweetener, could actually stimulate your appetite, according to the Harvard University School of Public Health. Although it's not known why, drinking soda could trigger a craving for high-carbohydrate foods, according the the Harvard School of Public Health

and here's the link

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/535289-does-diet-soda-make-you-hungrier/#ixzz1w4Hg2wN2

I gave up pop in March.. well for the most part. I have had a couple in the past few months.. but that's better than drinking several daily. When I do have the occasional pop I just drink regular.
    Trainer is repeating information he's "heard" and not actually researched. As a trainer myself I've NOT found any supporting peer reviewed scientific study that verifies that this is true. Notice I've said STUDY and not article, or opinion.
    While some will report they are hungrier, that's on a personal level. Some people get hungrier eating carbs, some when they eat vegetables, so correlation isn't causation.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • KetoBella
    KetoBella Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I'd say no. I used to drink diet soda only to save calories and to help in losing weight. I can say it didn't help lose weight since I gained rather than lost. I gave up diet soda and switched to seltzer water. I really think I just liked the fizz because I don't miss it in the least and I do believe I am better for it.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    this. there's no benefit whatsoever to drinking soda (diet or otherwise) and so many potential dangers.
    Benefit: no calories and helps to satisfy sweet tooth for many (including myself). Potential dangers? Alarmism like this is why many people are naive about how the body really works. What do you actually know about the ingredients in diet soda? Not what you've heard, but what you actually know?

IDEA Fitness member
  • MissFit0101
    MissFit0101 Posts: 2,382
    Options
    Yes I think you answered your own question. I pretty much drink just water all day, sometimes tea or gatorade, but not sodas. However, on occasion, I do have a diet soda,, maybe once a month. It hasn't killed me yet.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    I would stay away from sodas, diet or not. They are very unhealthy for you and provide no nutritional value. I would stick strictly to water, teas (green tea) and juices (but not the store bought juices, I would try out a juicer).... The soda just adds toxins to your body.
    False. They don't add toxins, since the ingredients are also found in fruits in vegetables. Also WATER has no nutritional value.
    If it's something you want to stay away from that's fine, but spreading incorrect information is irresponsible.

IDEA Fitness member
  • jodazary
    jodazary Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    i maybe southern born and bred but i cant stand the taste of tea and i dont like coffee and you dont wanna be around me if i havent had my caffine so i live on diet dr pepper and i refuse to give em up lol
  • entropy83
    entropy83 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Just wanted to know your thoughts on whether diet sodas were a good thing or not. Sure a regular soda has plenty of sugar, but at least you know what you're dealing with and so does your body. Diet sodas have sweeteners and supposed negative effects on your health.
    Have I answered my own question?

I have to vote no on this one. I've never read anything good on the artificial sweeteners. My uncle and sister both drank diet sodas daily for years and both have had major immune diseases they are dealing with - both are on major medications. My uncle (not blood related) finally gave up the diet sodas and is now doing better - my sister has not and is the same. Of course I can't say for sure that diet sodas were the cause or even made the systems worse but does make me say, huh - maybe?

Regardless, there are so many other healthier choices out there. Try brewing some flavored teas. There is one by Celestial Seasonings, Orange Zinger (caffeine free) that is so sweet that you may not need to add anything else.

All the best in your journey.

I love the Zingers they have a tart component to them that is awesome! I don't do diet soda but I do drink diet juice. I think it is something I will cut out eventually but going to a cleaner diet is a process. Also with all the crap in our environment and the fact that people are living to dramatically longer ages, it is really hard to separate things. I mean couldn't those immune disorders equally have developed due to genetic or environmental exposures to pesticides and herbicides. I used to be really hardcore about this stuff and worked at the now defunct Wild Oats, then I developed anaphylaxis to sunflower oil. I am more worried about eating sunflower oil/seeds/butters than aspartame. Aspartame has never sent me to the ER or require I carry epipens. To each its own. Oh, I also have an MPH if that makes my comments more official in the eyes of others.
  • torie079
    torie079 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I love Coke Zero..... I gave it up but sometimes I'll still get a bottle.