Ever Get Any Back-Handed Compliments?

Options
124»

Replies

• talamer
    talamer Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    Most of my friends telling me "OMG Where did ur body go? u got a big head and tiny body" LOL
  • SuperSneaky
    SuperSneaky Posts: 43
    Options
    I joined roller Derby this was a huge breakthrough for me, Someone I know (who supposedly cares for me) be said that is awesome but make sure you can actually do it before you spend all the money on equipment.... I have not been back to roller derby since. I may just be over reacting, i'm not really sure but this really put out my light.

Tell them Derby girls need a little hip! You should do it, I see women of all sizes. On my own team, even. Our team goes from underweight to obese, literally! All in between. It's very accepting. :)
  • ghiaguy
    ghiaguy Posts: 46
    Options
    The old,("You're in great shape for your age.") ,compliment.
  • ericgAU
    ericgAU Posts: 271
    Options
    Yep sure have. From a good friends husband. He's a bit of a **** anyways so didn't pay too much attention to what he said. Sill though I was like WTF.... The 'compliment' was, "gee Eric you like Steve Jobs". He died a couple of months later.
  • EchoOfYourPast
    EchoOfYourPast Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    Co-worker looking at my picture...says

Dont worry i have a big stomach too....its our age.
  • kellyr730
    kellyr730 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    My dad has been telling me since I was 13 that I would be so beautiful if I just got my weight down. I've lost 65 pounds and am at the same weight as my sister (133 at 5'8 for me - she's about 5'6) who has been thin her whole life and now he says I look like I could gain about ten pounds because he thinks i'm borderline anorexic. He's never said a thing about her being too small.
  • penelopepitstop2012
    Options
    My dad has been telling me since I was 13 that I would be so beautiful if I just got my weight down. I've lost 65 pounds and am at the same weight as my sister (133 at 5'8 for me - she's about 5'6) who has been thin her whole life and now he says I look like I could gain about ten pounds because he thinks i'm borderline anorexic. He's never said a thing about her being too small.

I have the same thing with my dad one moment im too fat the next im too thin. On my wedding day all my day said to me while I was putting on my wedding dress was "your looking abit chubby" I was speechless... thats exactly what you want to hear on one of the biggest days of your life
  • trishobr
    trishobr Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I've got the mother of them all.

My boss, "You are such a beautiful woman, its a shame you are so heavy or you would be beating guys off with a stick"

I told him "I am fat on purpose, it weeds out the shallow guys like you."

That was 6 years ago before I married my wonderful husband.

THIS!!!!! :drinker:
  • BunnygirlM
    BunnygirlM Posts: 2
    Options
    Someone once told me "You got a big ol' booty fo' a white girrrrrrrl".

-.-
  • frodolives19
    Options
    "I know that most people think you're ugly with your birthmark, but I think you're beautiful.
    ^^
    I have a birthmark on my face (cheek) that is about the size of a quarter and is perfectly circular. So I get a lot of interesting "compliments" because of it.
  • CVALGAL
    CVALGAL Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    "You look like such a lady!"

Ummm. What did I look like before? A man?? An animal??

Hmph!
  • Mira710
    Mira710 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I had a co-worker come by my desk and see a picture of my mom and I on my desk from 5 years ago (I was thinner then). He looked at it and said, "Wow! You used to be really skinny!"

I told him that was a very offensive comment and he quickly apologized. I found out later that he asked a friend of mine when her baby was due... she wasn't pregnant. I guess he didn't learn his lesson.
  • Forthe4
    Forthe4 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    The place I used to work had a nurse that would come take blood pressure and other simple medical tests once a month. I finally caved in and went to check on my BP one time when she came in.

The lady was late 60's maybe even early 70's and was a real sweetheart so I know she didn't mean anything by it but she asked me, "Honey are you on blood pressure medication?"

I was confused and said, "No, why, should I be?"

She said, "Wow, you have really great blood pressure numbers for someone your size!"

I was like "Gee thanks, I guess..."
  • JediMindfck
    JediMindfck Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Earlier this year me and another guy were talking about eating better. I told him "I'm 245 and need to get down to 220". He said "Wow, I never would have guessed that. You carry it well. I only weigh 185. I used to be over 200 once myself." I felt like saying. "Right, and I'm 6'2" and your 5'5" which would explain the difference in goals." Anytime I tell someone I weigh over 200 lbs I get this look of shock as if they suddenly realized I was a fatty all along. "Wow, over 200? You carry it really well."

My goal weight is 220. Guess I'll still be fat then. LOL

Of a similar height here and have often been on the receiving end of the shocked look followed by the "you carry it really well" comment. I've always hated it :grumble:
  • KAT1892
    KAT1892 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Someone once told me "You got a big ol' booty fo' a white girrrrrrrl".

-.-

Lol I can relate to this. Happens quite frequently.
  • SFLiminality
    SFLiminality Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    While I can see someone being legitimately annoyed by some of these "compliments," there is sort of a recurring theme I'm noticing in a lot, of these posts. What I'm gathering is that if someone thinks you look better at ten, fifty, or a hundred pounds less, then they shouldn't tell you, because it's an insult.

The thinking seems to be that people should find you attractive no matter how you look? Or that everyone should have the same taste in body type. That would be nice, but...

Let's take the same "backhanded compliment" but lets replace weight with something else.

"I really like your new haircut."

What some people seem to hear is... "Your old haircut was crap."
    So the sentiment of the thread is: "What? My old haircut wasn't good enough? How dare you."

Another example: " I think you look better without makeup."

Thread sentiment: "If you don't like how I look all of the time, you can just buzz off!"

*shrug* Maybe I'm just dense and don't get it.
  • bellesouth18
    bellesouth18 Posts: 1,070 Member
    Options
    I've got the mother of them all.

My boss, "You are such a beautiful woman, its a shame you are so heavy or you would be beating guys off with a stick"

I told him "I am fat on purpose, it weeds out the shallow guys like you."

That was 6 years ago before I married my wonderful husband.

Touche! Well done slicing and dicing of his ego.