MEN.. HELP..!! (maybe women moms of pre-teens or teen..)

Options

Replies

• Switty_Kitty
    Switty_Kitty Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    I have an 11 and 8 year old and am dreading the day. Im very honest and open with my boys, and personally, I would make a educational joke out of it, so as to not embarrass him, but put him at ease in knowing that its normal. Be happy he went to his room to do it and not on the couch or something! lol

These days, kids can probably tell us things we don't know about.....Im sure he knows its normal and fun. Don't sweat it.
  • Jordant107
    Jordant107 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    As a former 12 year old boy I can tell you the last thing he wants to do is talk about it. Prepare yourself for 6 years of "ignoring it". Also you're going to be seeing a lot less of the boy. He'll be taking a lot of"naps".
    And long showers;)

Basically this. VERY long showers :o
    And we thought we were getting away with it, and that it wasn't obvious at all...........................!! :) How can it not be guessed that that's what's going on?!? :)
  • khorudko
    khorudko Posts: 5
    Options
    I am fortunate that my 17 year old son have a very open relationship and he has asked me questions about sex/sexuality and relationships I would never would have asked my parents (EVER). I also agree that no talk is warranted or encouraged. However, you should apologize for walking in on him and that from now on you will knock and if he never hesitate to come to you if he has any questions about sex (would prefer he came to you than learn MISinformation from the kids at school or worse expose himself to predators on the internet).
  • TheDoctor90
    TheDoctor90 Posts: 461 Member
    Options

And 2) make sure you emphasize not to do it too often, lol. Serious physical damage could happen here, but I think that would be the end of that talk.

Not sure if serious?
  • Jordant107
    Options

And 2) make sure you emphasize not to do it too often, lol. Serious physical damage could happen here, but I think that would be the end of that talk.

Not sure if serious?
    I wondered the same................!?
  • dvisser1
    dvisser1 Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    I'm a single mom of teenage boys. I'm very honest and up front with my kids, I asked my boys (they're a year apart so I had the discussion between the 3 of us) if that was something they had heard of or had done, at first they didn't answer I told them that it was normal behavior, nothing to be ashamed of, every man does it, and that it should be done in private. They admitted it, were happy to find out they were normal, and went out and mowed the lawn after.

After that conversation with mom, they had no issues asking me anything. If it's not something I can answer, I tell them that too.

As a 36 yr old man, I personally think this is the best option. Since the OP walked in on her boy doing that, ignoring it will only make things uncomfortable for longer. Just tell him it's normal, that basically all guys and most girls do it. If he asks questions, answer them honestly no matter how embarrassing they are. And let him know you'll remember to knock before walking into his bedroom.
  • PANZERIA
    PANZERIA Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    I have a 26 year old son and walked into the same thing. Obviously, he is interested in feeling pleasure and will seek it out, maybe even with a girl. If you don't talk about it, he may think of it as dirty. Sex isn't dirty and no one should she it that way. Since he is interested and curious, now is the time to talk about it. In its entirety.

Some tips:

1. Get pictures of male anatomy.
    2. Explain how things work down there.
    3. Explain the primary purpose of intercourse.
    4. Explain that it is okay to please oneself, but clean up the mess. LOL Better yet, he isn't too young to do his own laundry, mom.
    5. Explain about how girls get pregnant. In other words, intercourse and the fertilization of eggs to produce a baby.
    6. Explain that it only takes one sperm.
    7. Explain that there are diseases associated with sex. Reading material from a clinic can help in this department.
    8. Explain your expectations. In my home, this included an agreement that my son would not have sex before the age of 17 and that when he did, he would use protection. Also, my son could not have sex under my roof when I was home. This was in recognition that if I wasn't home, I wouldn't know and I didn't want him to lie. Additionally, if a child was a product of his having intercourse with someone, he would assume responsibility and support that child.

The result of all that teaching is that my son is 26 years old, moved out early (he's in the military) has had sexual intercourse with a few girls, says he uses protection except with long-standing relationships, has never had a sexually transmitted disease, and no girl has gotten pregnant by him.

The alternative is ignorance, getting a sexually transmitted disease, getting a girl pregnant, and a whole lot more.

Hope this helps.
    Agreed!

This!!!!!! Well said! =D
  • daffodilsoup
    daffodilsoup Posts: 1,972 Member
    Options
    I don't know why people think he needs to be spoken to...
    That 'act' doesn't necessarily mean he's thinking about sex. When I started I didn't even know what sex was.
    The argument that 'he might think it's dirty'...No, people think it's dirty when you're told it's dirty. He won't automatically assume what he's doing is bad, therefore absolutely no need for anyone to explain anything.

I don't necessarily think that they should talk about sex because of this particular happening - I just think it's a good thing to inform your kids about in general.

Then again, I don't know your son personally, I can only speak from my own experience.
  • PANZERIA
    Options

Not sure if serious?

Lol, actually, I am serious.

By 'too often' I'm talking like, 5+ times per day...but by then I would assume you would be sore...
  • TheDoctor90
    Options

Not sure if serious?

By 'too often' I'm talking like, 5+ times per day...but by then I would assume you would be sore...

mCU8jmcCknhaneztKwDmYdCyo1_500.jpg
  • PANZERIA
    Options

Not sure if serious?

YAY I GOT A MEME RESPONSE!!!!! =D =D =D
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
    I have a 26 year old son and walked into the same thing. Obviously, he is interested in feeling pleasure and will seek it out, maybe even with a girl. If you don't talk about it, he may think of it as dirty. Sex isn't dirty and no one should see it that way. Since he is interested and curious, now is the time to talk about it. In its entirety.

Some tips:

1. Get pictures of male anatomy.
    2. Explain how things work down there.
    3. Explain the primary purpose of intercourse.
    4. Explain that it is okay to please oneself, but clean up the mess. LOL Better yet, he isn't too young to do his own laundry, mom.
    5. Explain about how girls get pregnant. In other words, intercourse and the fertilization of eggs to produce a baby.
    6. Explain that it only takes one sperm.
    7. Explain that there are diseases associated with sex. Reading material from a clinic can help in this department.
    8. Explain your expectations. In my home, this included an agreement that my son would not have sex before the age of 17 and that when he did, he would use protection. Also, my son could not have sex under my roof when I was home. This was in recognition that if I wasn't home, I wouldn't know and I didn't want him to lie. Additionally, if a child was a product of his having intercourse with someone, he would assume responsibility and support that child.

The result of all that teaching is that my son is 26 years old, moved out early (he's in the military) has had sexual intercourse with a few girls, says he uses protection except with long-standing relationships, has never had a sexually transmitted disease, and no girl has gotten pregnant by him.

The alternative is ignorance, getting a sexually transmitted disease, getting a girl pregnant, and a whole lot more.

Hope this helps.

Yeah...this is exactly what should NOT be done. Leave the kid alone. The only way he's gonna think 'dirty sex' isn't dirty is if YOU set the tone of the household like this. I understand you're a mother of a wonderful child but what you wrote above is not why he turned out great. He turned out great because you raised him well. However, talking to him like this most likely disturbed him greatly. If you've had the how kids are made talk, thats enough

Edit: Made this remark in lieu of reading that the sex talk is already done. Safe sex talk, even if already done by you, should be done on occassion with boys by male figures in the family
  • hbrittingham
    hbrittingham Posts: 2,518 Member
    Options

Not sure if serious?

Make that three of us.
  • Jordant107
    Options

Not sure if serious?

Oh ok:) I see your point then:)
  • bigdogc23
    bigdogc23 Posts: 66
    Options
    Yea if I remember correctly I was somewhere around 10 or 11. It's so normal. It deoesn't matter what kind of home life you present as it has nothing to do with that, well mostly. First he probably hears stufff at school from other classmates. I was brought up in a house with no cable until I was in like 8th or 9th grade and even then it was just 14 channels and you didn't see that same kinda stuff that's on now. Mostly family channels, sports, and news.

For me it was all an accident. I remember kinda just feeling that odd feeling. Remember, our "junk" us external and it rubs on something all day everyday so there is absolutley no way to avoid that feeling. He probably needs someone to explain it like a male role model but honestly most of us never got it explained to us and we are mostly normal I suppose....
  • TheDoctor90
    Options

Not sure if serious?

YAY I GOT A MEME RESPONSE!!!!! =D =D =D

You're welcome.
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
    If you want to talk to him, I don't see the harm. Just tell him that 1) it's natural to have those urges, but that there is a time and place for them.

The 'sex' talk comes later, and that's a whole different bundle of things he needs to know - doing it safely, respecting his partner, pregnancy being a reality, etc.

It's nothing to be ashamed of and as long as you emphasize that it's a NORMAL part of life, it shouldn't be a problem. If you don't feel comfortable, talk about it with a male figure in his life and tell him what you would like him to know, and then get him to talk about it. Whatever works. Just don't demonize it, and I can't stress that enough.

This was a Bazinga right? :o
  • Jordant107
    Options
    If you want to talk to him, I don't see the harm. Just tell him that 1) it's natural to have those urges, but that there is a time and place for them.

The 'sex' talk comes later, and that's a whole different bundle of things he needs to know - doing it safely, respecting his partner, pregnancy being a reality, etc.

It's nothing to be ashamed of and as long as you emphasize that it's a NORMAL part of life, it shouldn't be a problem. If you don't feel comfortable, talk about it with a male figure in his life and tell him what you would like him to know, and then get him to talk about it. Whatever works. Just don't demonize it, and I can't stress that enough.

LOL- The Big Bang Theory........................Sheldon?!? :)
  • TheDoctor90
    Options

Bazinga_by_calceil.jpg

To continue the meme trend.
  • Jersey_Devil
    Jersey_Devil Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    no need for a talk about that.