Terrified of weight gain in pregnancy...ED

Options

Replies

• wackyfunster
    wackyfunster Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    Good news:
    About 20 of that is the baby and water weight.

Better news:
    Breastfeeding exclusively burns 500 calories per day, and allows you to very easily lose weight from hips/thighs, which is normally damn near impossible for women to do (the reason your body stores weight there is to provide fat for breast milk).

Best news:
    Having a baby is awesome.

Bad news:
    You will seriously not sleep for like 2 months (I have a 1 month-old now ;P)
  • dovesgate
    dovesgate Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    What does your professional care team say about you becoming pregnant at this time?

This.

This is really the only one that matters. We don't know you or your medical situation like your medical team does. We cannot judge you nor can we advise you.

Every woman gains pregnancy weight differently and no two pregnancies are the same. I highly suggest you talk to your medical team about your concerns and what you can do to be in the place you need to be to carry a child to term.
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    I don't have an ED or a uterus. But I can say that the weight gain is minor, and it will drop off. If you want to know the scary parts, here is my take on it.

Your going to pee yourself, often. like when you sneeze, or if you breath. its just going to be all over all the time.

If you go natural. your going to poop, in front of everyone. and not just like once. I mean with every single push if you get a "good job" its cause you have soiled yourself.

your hair is going to start falling out in clumps after wards. I mean, nasty kemo style clumps, in the shower.

And for the love of god, do not get preggers until you can handle gaining a few pounds. please.
  • torie079
    torie079 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I had a mentally hard time with gaining weight but I realized that the weight I would gain is necessary! It needs to happen to ensure you have a healthy child. It's worth it! You can always loose weight...but you only have 40 weeks to produce a healthy child! If you cannot come to terms with this and be at peace then you should not get pregnant. Thisis a new human and your child... If you arent willing to gain a measly 15 to 25 pounds then you should not have them:-/
  • bm99
    bm99 Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    Wait to start your family. Issues like yours have to much potential to harm any child you try to carry. Now seems like a good time for you to focus on YOU, then when you have that settled you can start focusing on little ones :)

Believe me when I say nothing gets easier when kids are involved. All it does is add more guilt and pain to any issue you haven't already resolved. Get the help you need first.
  • chantalb20
    chantalb20 Posts: 132
    Options
    I don't have an ED or a uterus. But I can say that the weight gain is minor, and it will drop off. If you want to know the scary parts, here is my take on it.

Your going to pee yourself, often. like when you sneeze, or if you breath. its just going to be all over all the time.

If you go natural. your going to poop, in front of everyone. and not just like once. I mean with every single push if you get a "good job" its cause you have soiled yourself.

your hair is going to start falling out in clumps after wards. I mean, nasty kemo style clumps, in the shower.

And for the love of god, do not get preggers until you can handle gaining a few pounds. please.

It's funny because NONE of those things happened to me... Except got the slight weight gain. So no, all that doesn't happen to evey woman.
  • naomi8888
    naomi8888 Posts: 519 Member
    Options

It's funny because NONE of those things happened to me... Except got the slight weight gain. So no, all that doesn't happen to evey woman.

^^^^Ditto. Where are you getting this info from??
  • sweetpea7441
    sweetpea7441 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Weight gain is different per woman. I am 160cm and weighed about 57kg before I was pregnant. With both my pregnancies I only put on 3kg... Keeping in mind my boy was 3.5kg and my girl was 2.9kg at birth..

So especially with my son, after I gave birth I actually weighed LESS then before I was pregnant (about 4kgs!). I never had morning sickness or anything like that. I ate well with both pregnancies.

Everyone is different. ;-) There is no need for you to put on 10-20 pounds. Also this nonsense of eating for 2, is literally nonsense. Sure you need to eat extra, but its something like 200 calories extra per day. So not a lot.

Good luck with TTC - its a special time and even more so the pregnancy and then birth and then your baby... ;-)
  • sweetpea7441
    sweetpea7441 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I would just like to add that being pregnant and having kids is the most SERIOUS, IMPORTANT thing you can ever do in your life. You are 100% responsible for that baby, so you need to be 120% ready to have a child before you do. I would think your ED would need to be under control for a year or more before you even considered trying.
    xxx
  • Elf_Princess1210
    Elf_Princess1210 Posts: 895 Member
    Options
    Ok so my husband and I are discussing planning a family. We both desperately want children and always have. So I was reading about what type of stuff you are supposed to do to prepare for pregnancy, and then started reading about pregnancy in general.

I then read the most horrific thing I have ever read. You are expected to gain between 20lbs-35lbs in pregnancy. WTF??!?!?!

I suffer from severe bulimia with anorexic tendencies, and although I am getting help for it and I'm not as bad as I was physically (I'm not purging as much, prob 2-4 times a day currently. Down from 10+ or basically whatever I ate) I'm nowhere near recovered. But I'm working hard towards it.

Seriously, I could not handle gaining that much weight in pregnancy. I won't allow it.

Is there anyone else who has been in a similar situation? With or without an ED, was anyone else ABSOULTELY TERRIFIED about the weight gain and the way your body changed during pregnancy? If you had an ED did it make you worse? How did you cope? Or did you force yourself to change for the baby?

Please give me some good news, right now im dreading it and really scared about pregnancy in general.

Most of that weight gain will be baby, placenta, and fluid. You have to allow for 300 extra calories a day once you hit your second trimester in order for the baby to grow and accumulate something called brown fat which is neccesary for survival outside the womb. If you think about it 300 extra calories isn't really that much extra, and once you give birth the weight will come off especially if you breast feed.
  • furrina
    furrina Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    From what I've heard you really only need to gain 10 or so lbs (beyond what the baby and parts that support it weigh of course). The old "eating for two," "eat whatever you want," and "it's ok to get fat" are rather outdated I think. Keep exercising (find out exactly what you can do safely) throughout your whole pregnancy if you can, that makes it much easier to stay in shape physically in addition to keeping the habit. And try not to give in to your cravings, they're not about nourishing the baby, they're just about hormones making you want to stuff your face, like when you crave chocolate on your period. Find out from your doctor or elsewhere exactly what/how much you really need to eat, and then triple your will power not to munch on ice cream-covered french fries.

there are exceptions to the above of course and if you're on bed rest or have any special considerations they should come first of course.
  • Storey621
    Storey621 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    As silly as it sounds, I did a report on exercing during pregnancy. I do not have children but my advice to you would be to don't be afraid to work out. Working out will help a lot with not gaining excess wieght and actually helps reduced the time of labor by 1/3. And women are supposed to consume more calories, but one extra 8 oz glass of milk a day will be significant amount of calories. HOpes this helps!
  • furrina
    furrina Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Ok so my husband and I are discussing planning a family. We both desperately want children and always have. So I was reading about what type of stuff you are supposed to do to prepare for pregnancy, and then started reading about pregnancy in general.

I then read the most horrific thing I have ever read. You are expected to gain between 20lbs-35lbs in pregnancy. WTF??!?!?!

I suffer from severe bulimia with anorexic tendencies, and although I am getting help for it and I'm not as bad as I was physically (I'm not purging as much, prob 2-4 times a day currently. Down from 10+ or basically whatever I ate) I'm nowhere near recovered. But I'm working hard towards it.

Seriously, I could not handle gaining that much weight in pregnancy. I won't allow it.

Is there anyone else who has been in a similar situation? With or without an ED, was anyone else ABSOULTELY TERRIFIED about the weight gain and the way your body changed during pregnancy? If you had an ED did it make you worse? How did you cope? Or did you force yourself to change for the baby?

Please give me some good news, right now im dreading it and really scared about pregnancy in general.

YOU ARE NOT READY TO HAVE A CHILD!! simple. Get help and control first and then think about having a family.

dial it back, pal. I think a lot of people feel this way, to a degree, but we all don't admit it in public for fear we'll be SCREAMED AT.
    Why does everyone get so screamy and entitled when other people's babies are involved?
  • temp666777
    temp666777 Posts: 169
    Options
    You need help from professionals, not from the internet.

You're entering the phase of your life where you're going to have a few children. Get help with your ED first.
  • Lozze
    Lozze Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    You need help from professionals, not from the internet.

You're entering the phase of your life where you're going to have a few children. Get help with your ED first.

Which she is. Read the rest of the thread.
  • Di3012
    Di3012 Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options

What the hell are you on about LOL!

Where on earth have you heard such rubbish?

Peeing oneself all the time, soiling yourself, hair falling out..... bloody hell........

To anybody who is alarmed at the above, that is not a normal life of a woman during pregnancy.
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options

What the hell are you on about LOL!

Where on earth have you heard such rubbish?

Peeing oneself all the time, soiling yourself, hair falling out..... bloody hell........

To anybody who is alarmed at the above, that is not a normal life of a woman during pregnancy.

I witnessed this first hand.
  • gogojodee
    gogojodee Posts: 1,261 Member
    Options
    Wow. Talk to a professional before you even consider getting pregnant, please.

Here's something to think about - once you get pregnant/have children, it stops being about YOU and starts being about THEM. You won't allow a weight gain? Then don't get pregnant. That baby needs you to gain weight - and there are plenty of healthy ways to do it. But if you can't even consider this first step without going into a panic, then you are NOT ready to be a Mom. Get healthy first - menatallly and physically. Please.

this. Dude, you really need to work on yourself right right now. Get healthy for yourself now, so you can help your child when the time comes.
  • missnelso04
    missnelso04 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Wow. Talk to a professional before you even consider getting pregnant, please.

Here's something to think about - once you get pregnant/have children, it stops being about YOU and starts being about THEM. You won't allow a weight gain? Then don't get pregnant. That baby needs you to gain weight - and there are plenty of healthy ways to do it. But if you can't even consider this first step without going into a panic, then you are NOT ready to be a Mom. Get healthy first - menatallly and physically. Please.

Echoed.
  • kiminikimkim
    kiminikimkim Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    My mother had an eating disorder when she had me and my sister. We both had health problems and pretty malnourished when we were born.

Don't be afraid of gaining weight. You are only eating +100 calories more per day in the first trimester. Then +300calories in the second trimester. No big deal.