Successful showoffs??Sick and tired of this.

Options

Replies

• EpiGaiaRepens
    EpiGaiaRepens Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    Why are there so many people on here that have lost weight, and succeeded, who act like they are big shots? They feel like they are so much better than everyone else. They decline friend requests, they're so rude, and when you ask them questions for help they ignore you. I am so sick and tired of these show-offs. Congratulations for your success, but seriously stop acting like you can step all over everyone else. If i ever reach my goal, I will make sure to help out anyone that needs me, but I cant say the same for everyone else.:huh:

Wow! There are a lot of reasons to not accept friend requests. And not everyone can or wants to be fielding questions all day. This forum is full of helpful people. Try to not get so bent out of shape when people don't drop what they're doing just for you.

This.

I have been here for years and am at my goal weight, but now I have other goals. I maintain friendships with people wih the same goals as me, or who have some of the same challenges as me (single mom, vegetarian, etc). If I get FR's with no note, I decline as a matter of course these days. Not to be rude, but I have quite a few friends I want to stay in touch with and adding three new people a day who didn't even bother to write a note will distract me from my existing friends list.

As for not answering your questions- if your questions offend them, they might be being nice (I won't even deal with people who starve themselves), or perhaps you are asking questions that are huge points of debate (to eat or not to eat exercise cals).

Either way you will find people here who will help you. Just stick with it.
  • PosyPods
    PosyPods Posts: 25
    Options
    So ... how much of their day should someone who's been successful at losing weight be compelled to spend answering messages they receive?
    You make a good point. I have considered that like many people here are saying that they would be busy answering alot of questions. But thats not just what Im talking about. Im talking about their arrogance when they reply to questions. The type of arrogance that belittles others.

Some people do come off as arrogant here in terms of thinking they know everything about fitness/nutrition (even when they clearly don't). However, your op seemed like you were focusing on people not accepting friend requests or replying to messages, hence the comments thus far.
  • PANZERIA
    PANZERIA Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    I have seen SO MUCH of this. You see people asking for help, and yes, it's usually the same question over and over...but you almost ALWAYS see the arrogant p.o.s.'s going into those forums and tearing down the OP. It's like...who the hell do you think you are? You lost some weight. Big. Freaking. Deal. It's not like you won a gold medal in the Olympics. But then they go and flaunt it to everyone else.

Totally get where you're coming from. People suck.
  • BrettPGH
    BrettPGH Posts: 4,720 Member
    Options
    "Your playing small does not serve the world. There is nothing enlightened about shrinking so that other people won't feel insecure around you. We are all meant to shine, as children do. It's not just in some of us; it's in everyone. And as we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same. As we are liberated from our own fear, our presence automatically liberates others.” -Marianne Williamson
  • Trail_Addict
    Trail_Addict Posts: 1,350 Member
    Options
    So ... how much of their day should someone who's been successful at losing weight be compelled to spend answering messages they receive?
    You make a good point. I have considered that like many people here are saying that they would be busy answering alot of questions. But thats not just what Im talking about. Im talking about their arrogance when they reply to questions. The type of arrogance that belittles others.

Well, since you didn't post even one example, how are we to know if it was really rude or you just being overly sensitive? A lot of both go on around here, so how can anyone give you an answer to your complaint?
  • victoria4321
    victoria4321 Posts: 1,719 Member
    Options
    I answer everyone's questions when they ask me. Sometimes it would be nice to get a thank you reply back. Most people are nice enough to say thanks but a lot you never get a reply back.

In terms of the 'show offs' they've always been very helpful to me. Some even go out of their way to inbox me and answer a question that I had in a post just so I didn't miss their response.
  • SuperCork
    SuperCork Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Some people do come off as arrogant here in terms of thinking they know everything about fitness/nutrition (even when they clearly don't). However, your op seemed like you were focusing on people not accepting friend requests or replying to messages, hence the comments thus far.

I have to agree with this; however, given what the OP tagged as "arrogance" in someone else's post in response to her question, I really think perception is the problem here, not arrogance. Why get so bothered by someone else's attitude? When I have had this type of reaction to things in life, it's pretty much been because I am projecting my own stuff on others and making myself more miserable...as well as others.
  • EpiGaiaRepens
    EpiGaiaRepens Posts: 824 Member
    Options

Ahhhhh....I get it. Yeah. Some people here are serious jerks. Don't let them distract you from all the good!
  • becoming_a_new_me
    becoming_a_new_me Posts: 1,860 Member
    Options
    I had a huge friend list because I accepted practically anyone who was kind enough to put a message in the FR. Then I found that there were only a few people who I really interacted with and because I felt bad that I didn't have time to comment on everyone, I made major cuts. It's not personal, but when you get dozens of FR per day and have hundreds of people basically just stalking your page, it gets overwhelming. I don't collect friends, I just want to support the ones I have. Occasionally I will get a request from someome I truly feel will be inspired and interact, and I accept them. Otherwise, I only add people if I hit it off with them. Some other reasons people will get cut is 1. not logging in 2. not logging food or activity...just posting about drama all day 3. Only logging in if there is a loss but never other than that 4. ED - I'm sorry but I can't help those people they need counseling. 5. Drama Queens

Sorry you are feeling that people are better than you, but it comes down to having only so many hours in the day. I am a single mom with a full time job, go to school full time, and volunteer. While I will gladly answer PMs, I can't keep up with hundreds of friends.
  • SuperCork
    Options
    "Your playing small does not serve the world. There is nothing enlightened about shrinking so that other people won't feel insecure around you. We are all meant to shine, as children do. It's not just in some of us; it's in everyone. And as we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same. As we are liberated from our own fear, our presence automatically liberates others.” -Marianne Williamson

That's my boy!!
  • bebreli
    bebreli Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Either way you will find people here who will help you. Just stick with it.

Perfect answer!! I have emailed people questions that from the forums I realize are very knowledgable. Some email back and are very helpful and I appreciate that they take the time! A few haven't replied and it's water off a ducks back.

Shout out to the people that do help. You absolutely have no obligation but it is awesome to get support from you :flowerforyou:
  • rima933
    rima933 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Why are there so many people on here that have lost weight, and succeeded, who act like they are big shots? They feel like they are so much better than everyone else. They decline friend requests, they're so rude, and when you ask them questions for help they ignore you. I am so sick and tired of these show-offs. Congratulations for your success, but seriously stop acting like you can step all over everyone else. If i ever reach my goal, I will make sure to help out anyone that needs me, but I cant say the same for everyone else.:huh:

Ummm, how about because they are? Whether it was 5 lbs or 300 lbs, struggling with the mental and physical issues that come with excess weight is a huge challenge and if one reaches their goal; they've accomplished a huge feat in life by working hard and they DESERVE to flaunt it! Not only that, but for many here, it serves as encouragement, motivation, and help on our own journey.

As far as ignoring someone for help or declining request or being "rude", there could be a million reasons for it. MFP has many glitches; they've been fixing a ton of them all weekend. I can't tell you how many times I get a friend request or an e-mail that doesn't show up for days. Or, someone comments on my feed and I don't get notified of it right away and it's weeks later before I see it. At this very moment, I have a friend request that I've approved 4 times and yet I still have the notification bar pop up telling me that I have a friend request; it seems to be stuck in some kind of MFP friend limbo.

And some people just don't want to add any ole internet stranger to their friends list either; imagine wanting to get to know someone a little better before just letting them be your "friend." Now that's real uppity; the nerve! Good grief...please someone tell me that this topic doesn't really exist and that I'm delirious from too low a carb intake. BTW...should I be eating back my exercise calories? :laugh:
    Seriously your arrogance is the number one reason that this topic was posted. Get off your high horse.

I find you to be the rude one. There is nothing arrogant about a person having their own way of conducting their own MFP account.

Your last 2 sentences in your reply were uncalled for, and quite rude. I am stating my own opinion, you dont have to mock me. If you dont like it get out. Dont be rude to me on my own thread. No need for the rudeness. AS A MATTER OF FACT, ISN'T THAT WHY I POSTED THIS IN THE FIRST PLACE?!
  • EvilPink
    EvilPink Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I have seen SO MUCH of this. You see people asking for help, and yes, it's usually the same question over and over...but you almost ALWAYS see the arrogant p.o.s.'s going into those forums and tearing down the OP. It's like...who the hell do you think you are? You lost some weight. Big. Freaking. Deal. It's not like you won a gold medal in the Olympics. But then they go and flaunt it to everyone else.

I don't think is has any thing to do with whether they've lost weight - I think some of the reasons for those comments from posters comes from your first sentence, "yes, it's usually the same question over and over..." Which is exactly why in my first post I made the joke about eating back my exercise calories. It's not meant to be self-righteous or rude, for those of us that are on here daily, we see that same question (and many others) asked, sometimes literally, 10 times a day. It's just become the common joke for the ones who have been around for a while. I don't think there's any harm meant in it or that it's arrogance because they've lost 50 lbs or whatever, it's simply a running MFP joke because it happens day after day after day when all people have to do is search the board for an answer to their question before posting. Yes, sometimes that doesn't always yield the answer so by all means, post away with the question but other times, the silliness of the redundant posts just becomes a joke. Nothing more to be read into it.
  • Trail_Addict
    Options

Ummm, how about because they are? Whether it was 5 lbs or 300 lbs, struggling with the mental and physical issues that come with excess weight is a huge challenge and if one reaches their goal; they've accomplished a huge feat in life by working hard and they DESERVE to flaunt it! Not only that, but for many here, it serves as encouragement, motivation, and help on our own journey.

As far as ignoring someone for help or declining request or being "rude", there could be a million reasons for it. MFP has many glitches; they've been fixing a ton of them all weekend. I can't tell you how many times I get a friend request or an e-mail that doesn't show up for days. Or, someone comments on my feed and I don't get notified of it right away and it's weeks later before I see it. At this very moment, I have a friend request that I've approved 4 times and yet I still have the notification bar pop up telling me that I have a friend request; it seems to be stuck in some kind of MFP friend limbo.

And some people just don't want to add any ole internet stranger to their friends list either; imagine wanting to get to know someone a little better before just letting them be your "friend." Now that's real uppity; the nerve! Good grief...please someone tell me that this topic doesn't really exist and that I'm delirious from too low a carb intake. BTW...should I be eating back my exercise calories? :laugh:
    Seriously your arrogance is the number one reason that this topic was posted. Get off your high horse.

I find you to be the rude one. There is nothing arrogant about a person having their own way of conducting their own MFP account.

Your last 2 sentences in your reply were uncalled for, and quite rude. I am stating my own opinion, you dont have to mock me. If you dont like it get out. Dont be rude to me on my own thread. No need for the rudeness. AS A MATTER OF FACT, ISN'T THAT WHY I POSTED THIS IN THE FIRST PLACE?!

Just calling you out for being an *kitten* when it wasn't warranted.
  • SuperCork
    Options

Your original message was about SUCCESS STORIES and denied friend requests. I would feel bad for you for getting so upset about this, but it really doesn't seem like you are actually angry at anyone else, just angry in general and misdirecting it. I *so* understand what's driving your responses--I suspect more than you do--and because of that know that there will be no changing your mind--that's up to you. Best of luck in your life journey...
  • PANZERIA
    PANZERIA Posts: 471 Member
    Options

I don't think is has any thing to do with whether they've lost weight - I think some of the reasons for those comments from posters comes from your first sentence, "yes, it's usually the same question over and over..." Which is exactly why in my first post I made the joke about eating back my exercise calories. It's not meant to be self-righteous or rude, for those of us that are on here daily, we see that same question (and many others) asked, sometimes literally, 10 times a day. It's just become the common joke for the ones who have been around for a while. I don't think there's any harm meant in it or that it's arrogance because they've lost 50 lbs or whatever, it's simply a running MFP joke because it happens day after day after day when all people have to do is search the board for an answer to their question before posting. Yes, sometimes that doesn't always yield the answer so by all means, post away with the question but other times, the silliness of the redundant posts just becomes a joke. Nothing more to be read into it.

See, I disagree. I think that, because you have 'been here' for so long, you think you have seniority/know whats best/etc etc. THAT'S being self-righteous, and mocking people because they ask serious questions, even if you have seen it a thousand times before, is RUDE and completely uncalled for. They have questions and are looking for serious answers. That's what this whole site is for!

If you don't have something nice to say, don't say anything at all.
  • SuperCork
    Options
    See, I disagree. I think that, because you have 'been here' for so long, you think you have seniority/know whats best/etc etc. THAT'S being self-righteous, and mocking people because they ask serious questions, even if you have seen it a thousand times before, is RUDE and completely uncalled for. They have questions and are looking for serious answers. That's what this whole site is for!

If you don't have something nice to say, don't say anything at all.

hmmmm...
  • 2FattyXFatty4
    2FattyXFatty4 Posts: 215 Member
    Options

Where are these people? Everyone who has had MAJOR success that I've sent a friend request to has not only accepted but been a great asset to my MFP experience.
  • Trail_Addict
    Options
    All this talk about "mockery", "rudeness", &" arrogance", and yet not even one example for us to debate. One person's 'straight-forward' answer is another person's "being insensitive".

Just look back 2 pages where the OP told that lady she was "arrogant" and to "get off her high horse",and then look at how many people found nothing wrong with the lady's response.
  • SinuousNihilist
    Options
    Actually, I understand where the OP comes from in some regards. Not the friend request/question thing...but you get some sort of snobby/elitist/cocky people here. Yes, you're proud and we're amazed at your accomplishments but YOU ARE NOT THE EXPERT ON ALL THINGS WEIGHT LOSS. Not everyone is like that though...most of the community here are upright weight losing citizens. :)
This discussion has been closed.