Am I the only person who thinks almond milk is useless?

Options

Replies

• dsipes3262
    dsipes3262 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    I use the unsweetened almond milk with whey protein powder...tastes better than adding just water. Yet only adds an additional 35 calories to my drink. That is all that I use it for.....

This is the reason I use it too. I don't like the protein drink with just water and adding milk adds too many calories. I don't really like the taste of almond milk by itself, but you can't really taste it over the protein powder.
  • cramernh
    cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options
    almondvssoy.jpg

I hope this image comes up.

Basically this is the difference between unsweetened almond milk (average) and soymilk (average) taken from Calorieking.com

Personally I have a difficult time digesting most dairy and find that either almond milk or soy-milk help 'fill in' where I need to use something other than milk.

Im very pleased that Silk offers a NO-GMO line - that is very important to me.

Its really based on a person's preference. Is there a one-better-than-the-other? Well, look at the different pieces of information... and compare it to how you, as an individual are tracking your daily intake. Thats where its really more important at the individual level.
  • sabolfitwife
    sabolfitwife Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    I have a question... I'm the only one who drinks the Silk in my house so it takes me a while to get through the carton (I usually only use milk in my smoothies, or if I'm really thirsty for something other than water). I just finished my first carton the other day and they were out of the Vanilla flavor at the store, so I opted for Chocolate instead. It is really good and I hear it's a good thing to drink after a workout. My question is, can I use this chocolate in my smoothies? Has anyone tried this and come up with a good concotion? I don't want to try it and waste it if I don't like... Lol.
  • neaneawy
    neaneawy Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Yes, I agree. I'm a big milk drinker usually, but I've cut a lot out while my cals are so restricted. I want to eat my cals not drink them. I thought some of these other milks would be a good substitute for regular milk, but nothing has the same nutritional values as cows milk. I'll just hold off a few more months. Hopefully I'll be at maintenance by then and I'll be able to some more milk in here and there.
  • cramernh
    cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options
    My question is, can I use this chocolate in my smoothies? Has anyone tried this and come up with a good concotion? I don't want to try it and waste it if I don't like... Lol.

Let me give you a HELL YEAH..... I do a Mocha using the Silk light chocolate soy milk, some New England Coffee's Chocolate Cappucchino coffee and then blend up with some ice... and I will garnish with shavings of dark chocolate on top. Ill even throw some fresh mint leaves in the blender for a Mocha-Mint!

OH MY GAWD!
  • brittigno
    brittigno Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    I don't think it's useless, but I do think it's gross.
  • Christine1110
    Christine1110 Posts: 1,786 Member
    Options
    I love it...and it's lower in calories.
  • prsusa38
    prsusa38 Posts: 29
    Options
    I don't like it...taste is horrible too sweet I guess. Not much use for me...so yea its useless in my book.
  • MammaC66
    MammaC66 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I tried it and I think it tastes terrible!
  • AmandaLAcosta
    Options
    because some people are allergic to soy and dairy.
  • WonderCort
    WonderCort Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I don't drink it for protein. I use it as a lower calorie food enhancer, so far it's mostly been in breakfast foods. I haven't chosen to just drink it outright.
  • beachbumant_man
    beachbumant_man Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    me... but if a person is lactose in intolerance i guess its okay for them.. but depends why they close it.. because it has a different chemistry than normal milk
  • shayne707
    shayne707 Posts: 4
    Options
    I just started using the unsweetened almond milk in my coffee this morning, to cut out the sugar of the fat free milk i was using, and it tastes fine to me.
  • Koshkaxo
    Koshkaxo Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    *cow baby at heart*

Hahaha :flowerforyou: flower for you to munch on hehe
  • Spokez70
    Spokez70 Posts: 548 Member
    Options
    I looked at the label and considered it when I started drinking protein shakes but it seemed kind of like pointless extra calories- so I just use water.
  • quixoteQ
    quixoteQ Posts: 484
    Options
    Just curious: does anyone use the blue diamond unsweetened almond chocolate milk? I have been using the original unsweetened mostly for shakes and w/coffee, but am curious about the unsweetened chocolate. Any reviews?
  • JaceyMarieS
    JaceyMarieS Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    I'm allergic to soy and dairy milk has too much sugar (I'm diabetic) Almond milk is low in calories, low carb, has healthy fat and makes a tasty smoothie.
  • sarad777
    sarad777 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Almond milk is "trendy" and so is greek yogurt.

People like to be trendy. We all survived without these things before. It's just new and popular.
  • quixoteQ
    quixoteQ Posts: 484
    Options
    Almond milk is "trendy" and so is greek yogurt.

People like to be trendy. We all survived without these things before. It's just new and popular.

MFP is trendy and you already have over 200 posts. You survived without it before, but that doesn't mean your life can't be better afterward. Enjoy!
  • Prek2005
    Prek2005 Posts: 58
    Options
    I thought the whole purpose of milk was to add protein to the meal.. yet there's like one gram of protein in almond milk. It's basically just sugar, at least that's what I get from the nutrition facts. I mean even though it's low calorie & all, that's great, but if I'm going for non-dairy, I could pick up some light soymilk for about 60 calories and 6 grams of protein.

I don't really get why people drink it.

I totally agree with you 100%.....and I notice that too! I would rather have light soymilk or skim milk also.