Terrified of weight gain in pregnancy...ED

Options

Replies

• chickentunashake
    chickentunashake Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Ok so my husband and I are discussing planning a family. We both desperately want children and always have. So I was reading about what type of stuff you are supposed to do to prepare for pregnancy, and then started reading about pregnancy in general.

I then read the most horrific thing I have ever read. You are expected to gain between 20lbs-35lbs in pregnancy. WTF??!?!?!

I suffer from severe bulimia with anorexic tendencies, and although I am getting help for it and I'm not as bad as I was physically (I'm not purging as much, prob 2-4 times a day currently. Down from 10+ or basically whatever I ate) I'm nowhere near recovered. But I'm working hard towards it.

Seriously, I could not handle gaining that much weight in pregnancy. I won't allow it.

Is there anyone else who has been in a similar situation? With or without an ED, was anyone else ABSOULTELY TERRIFIED about the weight gain and the way your body changed during pregnancy? If you had an ED did it make you worse? How did you cope? Or did you force yourself to change for the baby?

Please give me some good news, right now im dreading it and really scared about pregnancy in general.
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    Ok so my husband and I are discussing planning a family. We both desperately want children and always have. So I was reading about what type of stuff you are supposed to do to prepare for pregnancy, and then started reading about pregnancy in general.

I then read the most horrific thing I have ever read. You are expected to gain between 20lbs-35lbs in pregnancy. WTF??!?!?!

I suffer from severe bulimia with anorexic tendencies, and although I am getting help for it and I'm not as bad as I was physically (I'm not purging as much, prob 2-4 times a day currently. Down from 10+ or basically whatever I ate) I'm nowhere near recovered. But I'm working hard towards it.

Seriously, I could not handle gaining that much weight in pregnancy. I won't allow it.

Is there anyone else who has been in a similar situation? With or without an ED, was anyone else ABSOULTELY TERRIFIED about the weight gain and the way your body changed during pregnancy? If you had an ED did it make you worse? How did you cope? Or did you force yourself to change for the baby?

Please give me some good news, right now im dreading it and really scared about pregnancy in general.

It is hard to know that you will gain that much weight, and sometimes more if there are issues or a multiple pregnancy. Please, get yourself to an even better place before you consider pregnancy. Pregnancy is very hard on your body physically and mentally. If you are still purging on such a regular basis, it is going to be even harder. Please work with your doctors to figure out when the best time will be for you. Also - have you considered adoption? That could work out so great for you here. I wish you all the best.

Edited to add: when I was pregnant with my first, I had just lost a lot of weight. I was trying to lose more. I knew I needed to gain weight to have a healthy baby. I just stopped watching the scale. I completely got rid of mine and I asked the doctor to not tell me what my weight was when I went in for my appointments. It was very hard, but ultimately, I was willing to do anything for him, anything at all. I ended up with pre-eclampsia and gained 70 pounds. A month later, I was 2 pounds down from pre-pregnancy weight without any diet or exercise at that point. The weight comes off. I do stick with my previous comment that pregnancy is very hard emotionally and physically, in ways that others cannot prepare you to understand.
  • chickentunashake
    Options

I have six children, i don't have ED though and I never gained that much. The most i gained was with my 6th child, but I was also older,37 years, and I gained 20 lbs. The least i gained was with my 3th, just 7 pounds, she was 6.4 lbs by birth. You just need to be healthy, good eating habits, not eating for 2, just a lots of good nutrition, moderate,exercise
  • chickentunashake
    Options
    I don't have an ED or a uterus. But I can say that the weight gain is minor, and it will drop off. If you want to know the scary parts, here is my take on it.

Your going to pee yourself, often. like when you sneeze, or if you breath. its just going to be all over all the time.

If you go natural. your going to poop, in front of everyone. and not just like once. I mean with every single push if you get a "good job" its cause you have soiled yourself.

your hair is going to start falling out in clumps after wards. I mean, nasty kemo style clumps, in the shower.

And for the love of god, do not get preggers until you can handle gaining a few pounds. please.
    What the hell are you talking about? Do you have children? She doesn't want to g er t scared, but supported. I have six children and i never peed or pooped on myself, my hair is waist long and never was falling out. Good lord, what is wrong with you
  • marieautumn
    marieautumn Posts: 932 Member
    Options
    i wouldnt recommend getting pregnant until you are in a healthier place in your ED, as a baby’s health and development depends on it. I don’t think it will matter to you that the weight is not actually your own, but is your baby’s, and that’s a big risk to take in hoping that you will think rationally.
    Good luck with your recovery.
  • rprussell2004
    rprussell2004 Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    I didn't read all 5 pages of replies, so forgive me if this has been said already...

Keep in mind that after the birth, breastfeeding will (in addition to being insanely healthy for your baby) burn calories like you've never seen.

The one thing my wife lamented most after breastfeeding was over was now she'd have to regulate her diet again. Imagine eating for two - only the 2nd one is more than 6-7 lbs!
  • marieautumn
    marieautumn Posts: 932 Member
    Options
    I don't have an ED or a uterus. But I can say that the weight gain is minor, and it will drop off. If you want to know the scary parts, here is my take on it.

Your going to pee yourself, often. like when you sneeze, or if you breath. its just going to be all over all the time.

If you go natural. your going to poop, in front of everyone. and not just like once. I mean with every single push if you get a "good job" its cause you have soiled yourself.

your hair is going to start falling out in clumps after wards. I mean, nasty kemo style clumps, in the shower.

And for the love of god, do not get preggers until you can handle gaining a few pounds. please.

uhhh this is NOT true. trust me.
  • SafireBleu
    SafireBleu Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    Hello,

I hope that this isn't too personal on a public forum but it is important that you get professional help if you are not already. Regular counselling can help you and it is good to continue this even when you do feel recovered.

This is very good advise very nicely given. I would add that you should continue therapy throughout your pregnancy and after so that you are not overwhelmed by the weight gain. I also agree that at least 20-25 lbs is from the baby, fluid, placenta and extra blood needed for the baby. Most of that comes off within the first 2 months of having had the baby. It would only be a small gain that you really have to worry about and through proper diet and nutrition you should be able to take that off quickly. Good luck.
  • lkblazek
    lkblazek Posts: 36
    Options
    First, I would like to Congratulate you the hard work you've already done with the bulimia and anorexia. Keep in mind that much. of the weight gain during pregnancy is the baby. It will also depend on the child itself. My second child was 2 1/2 inches longer than my first one. and I actually lost one pound after the birth.

Try to focus on the nutrition and exercise (walking in particular).
  • Kebby83
    Kebby83 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    You aren't ready to be pregnant - you are sick. Get better first.

Also - I put on over 100lbs when pregnant. So yeah you will gain weight. You might even be fat.
  • chickentunashake
    Options

Also - I put on over 100lbs when pregnant. So yeah you will gain weight. You might even be fat.
    I don't think that is something person recovering from ED wants to hear. There is no reason for anybody to gain that kind of weight, unless you have some kind of medical condition. You dont have to eat for 2, by gaining 100 lbs more likely for 10, no offense. I have 6 kids and the max i gained is 20 lbs
  • susanb573
    susanb573 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I have been pregnant six times (yikes) and of that had four singletons and two sets of twins (eight babies). You will gain weight. If you don't the baby will be small but even worse, their brains do not develop fully if you don't eat well. I usually gain around 20 pounds each time (40 with twins each time). It is very possible to lose it after. I'm 40 and 5'6" and I weigh 135 after all those pregnancies. It can be done. Make sure that what you eat is healthy, don't just load up on junk. I would have to agree though that it does not sound like you are in a mental place to be considering pregnancy.
  • Alisi1234
    Alisi1234 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    There is a website to calculate how many calories you should eat a day. This would be a great guideline for you.
    If you fear gaining weight so muc, I would suggest not getting pregnant. Your baby does not need to suffer because you want to be thin. Children learn from their parents. If they see you purging, they will think it's normal and do it. You can't hand much from children because they are ALWAYS around.
    If you do get pregnant, I suggest you are honest with your OB and have him monitor your weight.
  • porcelain_me
    Options

Possibly the most unhelpful post here. Congratulations.
  • porcelain_me
    Options
    I did reply earlier in the thread but I assume it was missed so here it is again.

Thank you guys for your replies. Some I agree with, some I don't.

I just want to point out that I never asked for anyone's opinions about me getting pregnant. I said that me and my husband ARE DISCUSSING planning a baby. As in, we are talking about one day having children. What i did ask, however, was for other peoples experiences with a similar feeling, ED related or not. So why so many people are telling me not to have babies is a bit of a mystery, I didn't ask if I should or shouldn't get pregnant.

I appreciate what you are all saying, and it goes without saying that my husband, my care team and I have discussed the possibility of children in the future (remembering of course I may not be able to have them) and we all know that I shouldn't have children yet.

I have to say that some of the posts here have been awfully hurtful and very disrespectful. I don't have psychosis or delusions or anything like that, and how dare people comment when they don't know and the original question was nothing about that. And some of the ways some posts were written... It seems almost rude and cruel and not fair at all. I never asked if I was ready to be a mom, and seen as no one here knows me I would assume that no one could possibility have an opinion on if I would or not.... I'm not going to go into a rant.

However some people were very helpful and pleasant, and for that I thank you.

This whole post wasn't something I expected everyone to understand to its entirety (as in I know not everyone has an eating disorder) but I was expecting people to comment on the idea of weight gain or loss and the way your body changed. Not many people have done this, instead I have been told that I'm psychotic, not ready to be a mother, not able to carry a baby safely and (near enough) that I'm selfish.

This whole experience has made me very wary of this community and the judgement that is past so quickly. I will hesitate before asking a question, eating disorder related or not, again.
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    I did reply earlier in the thread but I assume it was missed so here it is again.

Thank you guys for your replies. Some I agree with, some I don't.

I just want to point out that I never asked for anyone's opinions about me getting pregnant. I said that me and my husband ARE DISCUSSING planning a baby. As in, we are talking about one day having children. What i did ask, however, was for other peoples experiences with a similar feeling, ED related or not. So why so many people are telling me not to have babies is a bit of a mystery, I didn't ask if I should or shouldn't get pregnant.

I appreciate what you are all saying, and it goes without saying that my husband, my care team and I have discussed the possibility of children in the future (remembering of course I may not be able to have them) and we all know that I shouldn't have children yet.

I have to say that some of the posts here have been awfully hurtful and very disrespectful. I don't have psychosis or delusions or anything like that, and how dare people comment when they don't know and the original question was nothing about that. And some of the ways some posts were written... It seems almost rude and cruel and not fair at all. I never asked if I was ready to be a mom, and seen as no one here knows me I would assume that no one could possibility have an opinion on if I would or not.... I'm not going to go into a rant.

However some people were very helpful and pleasant, and for that I thank you.

This whole post wasn't something I expected everyone to understand to its entirety (as in I know not everyone has an eating disorder) but I was expecting people to comment on the idea of weight gain or loss and the way your body changed. Not many people have done this, instead I have been told that I'm psychotic, not ready to be a mother, not able to carry a baby safely and (near enough) that I'm selfish.

This whole experience has made me very wary of this community and the judgement that is past so quickly. I will hesitate before asking a question, eating disorder related or not, again.

well to be fair, your thread title and most of the original post was all about getting pregnant
  • bm99
    bm99 Posts: 597 Member
    Options

I don't think that is something person recovering from ED wants to hear. There is no reason for anybody to gain that kind of weight, unless you have some kind of medical condition. You dont have to eat for 2, by gaining 100 lbs more likely for 10, no offense. I have 6 kids and the max i gained is 20 lbs

Congratulations on your perfect, uncomplicated child birthing. No one should ever count on pregnancy going exactly as planned, especially if you have a MENTAL DISORDER.

I have 2 kids, one pregnancy and by the time they were a year old I gained a solid 70 pounds, 90% of which was out of my direct control. Give yourself a pat on the back. And by the way, no one should ever tell a person with an eating disorder what they want to hear. What is wrong with you?
  • cramernh
    cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options

Unfortunately where you were willing to admit that you still purge (doesnt matter if its 1, 2, 3 or 4 times), people are going to say the first thing that is genuinely the truth - you truly are not well thus not even classified in recovery by clinical standards. Personally speaking, I work in healthcare and that includes clinicians who specialize in working with ED patients.

There are many of us who are mirroring your comment here of "we all know that I shouldnt have children yet"

No one has really gone as far (in my opinion) as you feel you think they are. People have made it known about your original inquiry of the pregnancy weight and such by answering it. Clearly the subject of weight gain-in general is still a horrible thing in your mind hence your original post but you have to sit back and understand - you did post something on an open forum on a weight-loss/fitness website. Everyone who posts something will risk either some really good posts (which you really did get alot of great posts) and unfortunately you will run into some who are just down right nasty (honestly speaking, I didnt see any here).
    Anyone with ED whether they are truly recovering or those who, like you who still are actively afflicted with their ED are going to automatically feel like targets on websites like this where its for weightloss/fitness - its going to feel like you are being attacked no matter what, but I truly believe you were not attacked - I truly believe that where you let your guard down and willingly admitted to still purging, and then asked for feedback about the weight gain and pregnancy, that lit a big red light for all of us. And I am guaranteeing if you were to bring a printout of all posts from your thread to your clinicians, they would have some great feedback for you.

The one thing you do need to understand though, in my humble opinion, this thread did very well to maintain honesty and integrity with you without coming out in full verbal-bluntly put attacks... I know that might not feel the same way in your mind but, speaking as someone on the side of the clinicians and where I see this quite often, unfortunately your sensitive side with regard to ED can tend to heat things up where you allowed yourself to be vulnerable. I do think its COMMENDABLE that you risked coming here... but the reality kicks in. ED related topics are not going to be as productive as a therapy session with your clinicians- and yes, your thread encompassed ED - the fact this thread was able to remain active is VERY surprising - but its because people werent getting nasty with you is why the thread remained open (IMHO).

Everyone who has posted a relating answer to this with your current ED issues, are in fact correct. Even if you were to overcome the act of purging, you still have a very poor psychological tie to the negativity that surrounds the typical weight-gain issue all on its own, sans pregnancy. You would still have an extremely long road to travel on still once you stop purging.

Weight gain in pregnancy - women who get pregnant generally dont think too much into the weight gain because they know they have a baby growing inside of them and that is all they think about, and then at the end its "GET THIS BABY OUT OF ME!" LOL!!!!

. I wont discuss the medical complications of my pregnancy but, I did gain 75lbs thanks to being misdiagnosed with gestational diabetes and leave it at that. But, in developing more medical problems after having her, relating to the misdiagnosis, I do have problems with weight loss, but I am 53lbs down and Im half way there. Do I let the weight issue get to me? NOPE...
  • jlbay
    jlbay Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    I think that it is very difficult to get the proper guidance on dealing with an ED in an online forum. (My background: I had an eating disorder many years ago and worked with other women with EDs for a brief time. Yet, still no expert!)

It is SUCH a difficult illness for people to wrap their heads around, and it is so misunderstood. I cringe when I see ED related posts, because inevitably, there are some really insensitive or ignorant comments. I think most of the comments in here were really coming from a good place (as much as you can tell from the internet), so I hope you don't take any of them personally.

I'm fully recovered, but I have a good friend who is still very controlled by her ED, even though she isn't (as far as I know) actively purging or losing weight. Still, when she was pregnant she did not cope well with the weight gain and was obsessively exercising and stressed about gaining weight. We were so worried for her, because a person with no excess body fat obsessing over gaining every ounce during pregnancy is not good (to put it mildly).

A lot of people have said, "you'll just put the baby first and not care about anything else". Well, that was not true for my friend. She cared more about how much weight she gained (which is a simplistic way to put it, but the ED won out over health in her decision making). She got a new OB/GYN and didn't tell them about her ED history. The baby did turn out ok in the end, so far as we know, but she handles motherhood the same way she handles her body: with rigid control to the point of misery. I'm still scared for her and her baby.

But, even this is just one story. I've heard of other women with EDs that do turn it around for pregnancy. You are an individual. You and your care team and family will know what is best for you. I really wish you all the best. Don't let any harsh comments hurt you. People generally find EDs scary and mystifying and usually just want you to be healthy. The others, well, don't even bother thinking about the truly ignorant comments.
  • krisleve
    krisleve Posts: 7
    Options
    dont forget the stretch marks and problems peeing after having an epidural!