Visualize This

Options

Replies

• Arienna
    Arienna Posts: 913
    Options
    I am off to a good morning, decided to try out that "Couch to 5k Plan" Well..I don't think I'll be running in 9 weeks but I'll be on my way! I did jog 5 times for 1 min each, on the 6th I gave up about 30 seconds in because my legs felt like they were just going to give. I guess I have to start somewhere and seeing as I'm almost 300 lbs..I guess I couldn't expect to just get up and go jog a lot. I did end up finishing 3 miles in 43 minutes (how horrible is that?! 14 min/mile!!!). At least I burned almost 500 calories :drinker:

Not sure if my hubby is going to be around for dinner, he might be going for a guy's night out; and my children are not going to be home, so if no one else is around I'll have a salad with grilled chicken. However, if he is home I will be making this:

Italian Hot Dish

1 1/2 cups uncooked small pasta shells ( I use Ronzoni Whole Grain)
    1 lb lean ground beef
    1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms (I omit because no one in my family likes them)
    1/2 cup chopped onion
    1/2 cup chopped green pepper
    1 15 oz can tomato sauce
    1 tsp dried oregano
    1/2 tsp garlic powder (I use 2 cloves fresh garlic)
    1/4 tsp onion powder
    1/8 tsp pepper
    1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese, divided
    4 tsp Parmesan cheese (I use reduced fat)

1) Preheat oven to 350 degrees
    2) Cook pasta according to directions
    3) Meanwhile in a large nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray, brown the beef, 1/2 cup mushrooms, onion and green pepper, drain. Stir in tomato sauce, oregano, garlic powder, onion powder and pepper. Bring to a boil, reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15 minutes.
    4) Drain pasta; place in an 8" square baking dish coated with cooking spray. Top with meat sauce and remaining mushrooms. Sprinkle with 1/4 cup mozzarella cheese and 2 tsp Parmesan cheese.
    5) Cover and bake for 35 minutes; uncover and sprinkle with remaining cheeses, bake 5-10 min longer or until cheese is melted.

Nutrition Facts before my adjustments
    Servings 4
    Serving size 1/4 pan

Calories 391
    Fat 12 g
    Sat fat 5g
    Cholesterol 65 g
    Sodium 663 mg
    Carbs 36g
    Fiber 3g
    Protein 33 g

We eat a lot of beef in my family because it's cheaper, we always purchase 1/2 cow from a local meat processor in the spring of every year. The meat is very lean though and the cows are grain fed. I try to incorporate chicken at least two times a week, and I don't care for fish or any type of seafood. Hopefully when I get a job I can purchase more good for you meats! I do what I can with what I have!

Oh also forgot to mention, I met a young (19 yr old) guy when I was walking this morning, he started talking to me and at first I thought he was weird and his appearance frightened me! He had a mohawk and chains coming out of his clothes a long with tons of piercings and tattoos. He was the nicest person I've talked to in a long time though! Should never judge a book by it's cover!:wink:
  • Giggles27
    Giggles27 Posts: 139
    Options
    i failed today!!! i ate 2 tea cookies, had soda, ate at a japanese restaurant and had sour punch at the movies i also had a venti coffee with hazelnut creamer!!! omg:explode: i also havent been working out lately...i wish i had all you guys to pull me out of bed and workout...:sad:

Marian you didnt fail today....you came in here and admitted what you ate and put it on your food log...I say that is a great accomplishment....you go girl!!!! Im going to the gym tonight after school/work...and then I am trying to go dancing tonight (lets see if I can get the girls together)....will you be working out as well???
  • nisijam5
    nisijam5 Posts: 10,390 Member
    Options

Not sure if my hubby is going to be around for dinner, he might be going for a guy's night out; and my children are not going to be home, so if no one else is around I'll have a salad with grilled chicken. However, if he is home I will be making this:

Italian Hot Dish

1 lb lean ground beef
    1/2 cup chopped onion
    1 15 oz can tomato sauce
    1 tsp dried oregano
    1/4 tsp onion powder
    1/8 tsp pepper

3) Meanwhile in a large nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray, brown the beef, 1/2 cup mushrooms, onion and green pepper, drain. Stir in tomato sauce, oregano, garlic powder, onion powder and pepper. Bring to a boil, reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15 minutes.
    4) Drain pasta; place in an 8" square baking dish coated with cooking spray. Top with meat sauce and remaining mushrooms. Sprinkle with 1/4 cup mozzarella cheese and 2 tsp Parmesan cheese.
    5) Cover and bake for 35 minutes; uncover and sprinkle with remaining cheeses, bake 5-10 min longer or until cheese is melted.

Servings 4
    Serving size 1/4 pan

Great job on attempting the C25K program, I looked at it and decided not to do it. 500 calories is awesome.

I make something similar to this, instead of whole wheat pasta, try barilla multi-grain pasta...more protein, less sugar and a good amount of fiber....tastes way better than whole-wheat...takes like real noodles...also, I substitute low-fat mozzarella

It's a nice recipe for families

Kim
  • mamaturner
    mamaturner Posts: 2,533 Member
    Options
    Moring all! Well I'm retty excited, I had a pretty good day yesterday.. burned over 700 calories, however once again was over in my sodium and protein... can't seem to beat them buggers... but hoping for another great day!
  • Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone - the C25k program sounds interesting, but I have to be honest - I HATE running/jogging. I don't know if it's because I am heavy or that I've never really participated in sports that require running but I just don't like how it feels on my knees/feet and my body in general. Maybe that will change as I lose weight. I much prefer fast walking (if outside) or working out on the elliptical & weight training (in the gym).

I'm a little nervous because my department at work is going out for lunch (it's boss' day) - we're going to Ruby Tuesday's. But...I'm trying to plan ahead of time. I looked at the menu and nutrition info and am not incredibly impressed with their healthy options (particularly the side dishes... broccoli "in a buttery sauce"... but I think I'll end up having either a small steak or chicken with salad or vegetable (green beans and mushrooms) sides. It'll be a heavier lunch than I normally like to eat, but I was planning on working out this evening anyways... I wish restaurants gave all the nutrition info. Some do, but some don't. Ruby Tuesday's only publishes the calories, fat, net carbs and fiber on their website.
  • nisijam5
    Options
    Moring all! Well I'm retty excited, I had a pretty good day yesterday.. burned over 700 calories, however once again was over in my sodium and protein... can't seem to beat them buggers... but hoping for another great day!

I think the protein limit is difficult to maintain...it's basically an egg and a couple ounces of meat....Do you have extra carbs? I find that I am not using the carbs; but, really coming close or over on protein.

Kim
  • Mindful_Trent
    Options
    mamaturner - congrats on having a good day yesterday!! It's probably not a big deal if you go over in protein. I know that my mom talked to a nutritionist when she first started using MFP and showed them her plan and they recommended a little more protein and less carbs than what the site did. I would imagine as long as you're not eating protein in extreme excess, and you're getting your protein from good lean meats or legumes or low-fat dairy sources, then you should be okay. :smile:

I've found that I tend to eat a little higher protein and lower carbs/fats on most days than what my plan shows, but I don't think that it's a big deal since I stay within my calorie limits and I feel I eat a healthy amount of non-protein calories.
  • Arienna
    Options

Italian Hot Dish

1 lb lean ground beef
    1/2 cup chopped onion
    1 15 oz can tomato sauce
    1 tsp dried oregano
    1/4 tsp onion powder
    1/8 tsp pepper

Servings 4
    Serving size 1/4 pan

Great job on attempting the C25K program, I looked at it and decided not to do it. 500 calories is awesome.

I make something similar to this, instead of whole wheat pasta, try barilla multi-grain pasta...more protein, less sugar and a good amount of fiber....tastes way better than whole-wheat...takes like real noodles...also, I substitute low-fat mozzarella

It's a nice recipe for families

Kim

I also use low fat mozzarella, I actually don't know if I've ever seen mozzarella that's not low fat..lol. Also after looking at the box of pasta, it's called Healthy Harvest, and it's a multi grain. Nutrition Facts are :

Calories 180
    Total Fat 2
    Sat fat 0
    Trans fat 0
    Poly Fat 1.5
    Mono 0
    Cholesterol 0
    Sodium 0
    Total carbs 41
    Fiber 6
    Sugar 0
    Protein 7

I will look into the Barilla kind though! Thanks for the tip!
  • nisijam5
    Options
    I'm a little nervous because my department at work is going out for lunch (it's boss' day) - we're going to Ruby Tuesday's. But...I'm trying to plan ahead of time. I looked at the menu and nutrition info and am not incredibly impressed with their healthy options (particularly the side dishes... broccoli "in a buttery sauce"... but I think I'll end up having either a small steak or chicken with salad or vegetable (green beans and mushrooms) sides. It'll be a heavier lunch than I normally like to eat, but I was planning on working out this evening anyways... I wish restaurants gave all the nutrition info. Some do, but some don't. Ruby Tuesday's only publishes the calories, fat, net carbs and fiber on their website.

Excellent job on looking things up before going out. Your right about the sides of vegetables, they usually load with butter and sodium. You can ask them not to up butter on them and mix it with the chicken or steak...kinda like a stir fry...you will still get flavor on the veggies, but not the fat

Try a cup of soup with the salad bar

Or, look for the low-fat options, I think more restaurants are doing that now

Kim
  • Arienna
    Options
    Oh I just realized I have some of this Barilla Plus. Wow, 17g Protein! It is good, I've made pasta salads with it and no one noticed that it wasn't regular macaroni.
  • nisijam5
    Options
    I checked the nutrition facts of the barilla:

Healthy Harvest: Barilla 2oz, 1 cup

Calories 180 210
    Total Fat 2 2
    Sat fat 0
    Trans fat 0
    Poly Fat 1.5
    Mono 0
    Cholesterol 0
    Sodium 0 25
    Total carbs 41 38
    Fiber 6 4
    Sugar 0 2
    Protein 7 10

Calcium 2%
    Thiamin 35%
    Niacin 15%
    Iron 15%
    Riboflavin 15%
    Folate 40%

Barilla Plus is supposed to be a good source of protein, ALA Omega-3 and fiber...it's made with semolina, grain and legume flour blend (chickpeas, egg whites, spelt, barley, flaxseed, oat fiber, oats), durum flour niacin, iron, thiamine mononitrte, riboflavin, folic acid

I think your wheat pasta is pretty healthy; I just don't like the taste of wheat pasta and this was a good alternative for me. My girlfriend recommended it. Kids eat it without a problem

Kim
  • mamaturner
    Options

I think the protein limit is difficult to maintain...it's basically an egg and a couple ounces of meat....Do you have extra carbs? I find that I am not using the carbs; but, really coming close or over on protein.

Kim

Yes I've been doing rather good on my carbs and calories.. I keep track of my iron as well b/c I'm deficient in that mineral. And thank goodness for Multi Grain Cheerios! They taste great and have 100% of your daily recommondations!
  • charcharbec
    charcharbec Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    Okay maybe TMI-- but has anyone found with their work out and dieting that they actually poop a lot more and a lot healthier? I don't mind it at all. I LIKE being regular. And it may have something to do with the fact that I eat a LOT more fiber than I used to.

Also, glad to see that I am not the only one who didn't nec. wanna do the couch to 5k. I feel like any message board I look at, people are always reccomending it or whatever. And don't worry about not finishing after number 5. I kind of think that's the point. I don't think many people actually run again at 6, on their first day. Which is why you do it 3 times a week. So that hopefully by the second time you run until 6 or 7 and then the last time you can run through the whole thing. THEN you start week two. Longer time. You probably get through half of it, and then have to walk the rest. The next time you again get a bit further, etc. So definitely don't sell yourself short. I totally believe you can do it in 9 weeks.

But I myself am a bit more like accountant. I want to like running SO bad, but my SHINS. I have, instead, been trying to build up my endurance on the machines in the gym, and a friend gave the advice to build up your hamstrings, use a leg push machine and put your toes at the bottom of it so you are pushing with just your toes and not your whole foot. Apparently it's supposed to work the muscles that help you run. Also, he used to be a REALLY big guy and said, that he couldn't run without stopping after say---- 100 feet. He would just run then walk then run again when he could and walk. And he said after about two weeks he was able to run MUCH longer periods. He also ran every day. I know its good to give your body a break sometimes. What do the rest of youthink? Anyone who used to be a runner?

Also--- about the protein thing. I go WAY over every day. But I have heard that this is actually okay, it just means you are building your muscle up more. Diets that are higher in protein than in fat and carbs are usually alright, AS LONG as you are still taking in enough fat and carbs. You know--- like the atkins diet. It's so bad for you because your body isn't used to those nutrients etc. Or getting sugars. Etc.

For example yesterday I was over by 21 grams. It all came from the fish I ate last night. I had two servings, as it was all I ate and was within my calorie and fat intake. But brought me over by 21 grams. The day before was the same... because of the two bananas I had during the day. I could turn to something else, but I eat a banana before I work out.

Anyway this is really long and wordy (sorry).
  • Mindful_Trent
    Options
    Okay maybe TMI-- but has anyone found with their work out and dieting that they actually poop a lot more and a lot healthier? I don't mind it at all. I LIKE being regular. And it may have something to do with the fact that I eat a LOT more fiber than I used to.

:laugh: I was actually wondering the EXACT same thing just the other day... I've noticed this too!
  • charcharbec
    charcharbec Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    From an article on protein:

"This is the crucial question for people on diets which are higher in protein than usual, as low-carb diets tend to be. In a review of the research, the National Academy of Sciences reported that the only known danger from high protein diets is for individuals with kidney disease. After careful study, they recommend that 10 percent to 35 percent of daily calories come from protein. They point out that increased protein could be helpful in treating obesity. There is also accumulating evidence that extra protein may help prevent osteoporosis.

Extra protein can be broken down into glucose in a process called gluconeogenesis. On low carb diets, this happens continually. One benefit of obtaining glucose from protein is that it is absorbed into the bloodstream very slowly, so it doesn’t cause a rapid blood sugar increase."

So basically extra protein in your diet is alright. NOT enough causes your body to break down the muscle to use that instead.

Another article talked mostly about cutting carbs, and the protein being 50 - 75 % of your daily intake. It's okay to sometimes go over.... even 21 grams is not THAT much in hindsight. Just comparative to what you eat for the rest of your diet. So if instead of eating that few hundred extra carbs I eat it in protein once in a while that is okay. As long as it doesnt go over more than 30 percent of your daily needs. At least that's what I can see. It's hard to find a good article as most of them are addressing diets like atkins.
  • mamaturner
    Options
    hanks rkorduner! That was very helpful and makes me feel a lot better about it. It was quite frustratingb/c it's not like I was sitting down and eating a whole freakin chickn or anything. My food diary is public fyi.
  • nehtaeh
    nehtaeh Posts: 2,977 Member
    Options
    I would love to do the couch to 5K...but am I the only person that thinks its freezing out right now!!!! I will stick to my gym for now...I did a 5K in May...I actually walked 3 times a week for 3-5 miles a day...but I lost that when i moved...I need to make some walking buddies in this hometown of mine...no fun walking alone.

Also I love this website...the recipes...and all the discussion...I also added my "before before" pics to my profile...

It is sooo cold here in Northern Michigan!!!!! I am not looking forward to being out in the cold but I want to do this before there are 3 feet of snow on the ground ;) haha I will not be motivated to START running in the snow, however I might be more motivated to continue doing it.

Hello fellow Michigander! I'm not in N. Michigan though - I live in Lansing. It is pretty chilly out, but its not bad for running temps.

I wanted to do the c25k, but couldn't force myself to run outside. If I had a gym membership or a treadmill I would try to get through it, but I don't. So, I'll stick to my elliptical and home dvd workouts and will someday be able to do it. Good for you for wanting to though.
  • nehtaeh
    nehtaeh Posts: 2,977 Member
    Options
    I've been very stressed and tired lately. Next week will be a good week. But....

I weigh in on Fridays for a competition I am doing. Today, I was 154. That's a pound lost from Monday. That's 5 pounds for that group, since the end of August. Not as good as it could be, but its something. I am really impressed.

I've been trying to get more fiber in my diet being that I know I wasn't getting enough. So, that and the fact that I've not been eating fast food all week and trying to reign in snacking - has helped me to lose the last couple weeks in spite of not exercising much.

I really need to get back to a reg. exercise routine though. Next week will be much better!
  • mamaturner
    Options
    So I'm a little confused when entering strength training. I just started today (I typically only do the eliptical and yoga) But I really wanna work on my arms, sowhen I put in my reps and such it doesn't give you how many calories you've burned, am I doing something wrong, is that just how it is? Help! Good for staying positive shamrock! We can only get better!
  • maddmaddmama
    maddmaddmama Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    i failed today!!! i ate 2 tea cookies, had soda, ate at a japanese restaurant and had sour punch at the movies i also had a venti coffee with hazelnut creamer!!! omg:explode: i also havent been working out lately...i wish i had all you guys to pull me out of bed and workout...:sad:

Don't worry about it! It's a new day! Don't beat yourself up just do better today :smile:

Thanks for the encouragement :happy: