Visualize This

Options

Replies

• nisijam5
    nisijam5 Posts: 10,390 Member
    Options
    Nutrition is a great degree from a medical perspective...at the hospital I work at, we have nutritional consults especially for the elderly, diabetic education and there is also a program called ways to wellness for the community to work with a nutritionist; then, you can cross over to teaching as well at colleges...it was a required course for nursing

I think it's growing field because of all the obesity in America

Kim
  • mamaturner
    mamaturner Posts: 2,533 Member
    Options
    Nutrition is a great degree from a medical perspective...at the hospital I work at, we have nutritional consults especially for the elderly, diabetic education and there is also a program called ways to wellness for the community to work with a nutritionist; then, you can cross over to teaching as well at colleges...it was a required course for nursing

I think it's growing field because of all the obesity in America

Kim

I agree, and it's been helping me with mfp as well, and making my dietary changes. There are also quite a few assisted living homes where I live, and they actually have an exec. chef position I've been waiting to open for a while... it was very frustrating b/c the last time they had an opening I was 8 months pregnant :( lol I guess I just have to wait til I find that perfect position that'll get my foot back in the door!
  • nehtaeh
    nehtaeh Posts: 2,977 Member
    Options
    Ugghh - lunch was taco bell. I will be hitting up the grocery store tonight and will restock my lunches. But, my kids and hubby will be gone tonight, so I can eat a bunch of celery if I want. I don't have to make dinner or worry about anyone else. I will likely not be hungry until much later though.

I have an accounting degree. Well, my undergrad is accounting. I have my MBA in general business. No desire to take the CPA at this point. If I happen to change jobs and it would be beneficial, I'll think about it. Right now I am just wanting to get a certification, just not sure which one. Either CIA (certified internal auditor) or CMA - just depends on which direction I'd like to commit to. I'd be a lifelong student if they paid me to do it. Good luck guys! Accounting is a great field, there are so many options on what you can do.

Yeah, it actually took me a very long time to decide what degree to choose. The college I go to right now only offers a Bachelor's of Science in Business with a concentration in Accounting, that's not the same as an actual accounting degree is it? Not that I NEED to know these things this minute but I am a researchaholic! I research things to death..lol

I am hoping to reach my weight goals and get my Associate's Degree around the same time! Finally taking care of me now that my children are in school.

Yeah, the degree would be a business degree if you didn't have a concentration. The concentration just makes you take more classes in that area. My degree is Bachelors of Business Administration in Accounting, with accounting being my concentration. I could have gotten an accounting concentration for my MBA but didn't want it. I didn't want to be limited to just accounting. I have other goals. But, if you plan to be a CPA, an MBA in accounting would be just fine. I would assume that's def. the direction you'd like to take your degree into.
  • nisijam5
    Options
    Here is my link for Korean Bulgogi pork lettuce wraps:

http://recipes.sparkpeople.com/recipe-calories.asp?recipe=791835

You can get all the nutrional info on this website

It's a sweet spicy pork, sticky rice, wrapped in a lettuce leaf....so good, 3 of my 4 kids will eat it...the fourth is coming around.

The red bean paste is from a Korean store which I don't know if everyone can get...we make this for our friends and they love it. Very easy to make. My trick is to have the butcher slice a pork loin roast very thin like bacon and then I cut it down from there into stir fry strips.

Yummy eats,

Kim
  • mamaturner
    Options
    Here is my link for Korean Bulgogi pork lettuce wraps:

http://recipes.sparkpeople.com/recipe-calories.asp?recipe=791835

You can get all the nutrional info on this website

It's a sweet spicy pork, sticky rice, wrapped in a lettuce leaf....so good, 3 of my 4 kids will eat it...the fourth is coming around.

The red bean paste is from a Korean store which I don't know if everyone can get...we make this for our friends and they love it. Very easy to make. My trick is to have the butcher slice a pork loin roast very thin like bacon and then I cut it down from there into stir fry strips.

Yummy eats,

Kim

*drools* that sounds so good!! I love asian cuisine, I think my husband may even eat it thanks to the pork! lol
  • nisijam5
    Options
    My husband is addicted to it....you could make it healthier with brown rice...but, you need sticky rice to keep it all together...let me know if you try it...I entered it in the food database so everyone could add it to their meals easier

Kim
  • Arienna
    Arienna Posts: 913
    Options
    Thanks for the yummy recipe, I'll have to try it! I too LOVE Asian food. The one thing I find hard though is, even though I enjoy brown rice, I absolutely love jasmine rice with my Asian food. It has a distinct flavor I really enjoy :laugh:

Shannon- thanks for giving me the info about the degrees! I wasn't sure of how things worked :flowerforyou:

I'm about to start dinner for my family. We're having this:

Sirloin Strips over Rice

1-1/2 lbs boneless beef sirloin steak, cut into thin strips
    2 tsp olive oil, divided
    2 medium onions, thinly sliced
    1 garlic clove, minced
    1 14.5 oz can diced tomatoes, undrained
    1/2 cup reduced sodium beef broth
    1/3 cup dry red wine OR additional beef broth
    1 bay leaf
    1/2 tsp dried thyme
    1/2 tsp dried basil
    3 cups hot cooked rice

Sprinkle beef strips with salt and pepper to taste. in a large nonstick skilled coated with cooking spray, brown beef in 1 tsp olive oil. Remove and keep warm.

In the same skillet, saute onions and garlic in remaining oil until tender. Stir into tomatoes, broth, wine or additional broth, bay leaf, basil and thyme. Bring to a boil, reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes.

Return beef to the pan; cook for 2-4 minutes or until tender and mixture is heated through. Discard bay leaf. Serve over rice.

6 servings
    serving size 2/3 cup beef mixture with 1/2 cup cooked rice

Calories 299
    Fat 7g
    Sat fat 2g
    Cholesterol 63 mg
    Sodium 567 mg
    Carbs 31 g
    Fiber 3g
    Protein 25g

P.S. Do you all think I post too many recipes? lol
  • mamaturner
    Options
    Thanks for the yummy recipe, I'll have to try it! I too LOVE Asian food. The one thing I find hard though is, even though I enjoy brown rice, I absolutely love jasmine rice with my Asian food. It has a distinct flavor I really enjoy :laugh:

Shannon- thanks for giving me the info about the degrees! I wasn't sure of how things worked :flowerforyou:

I'm about to start dinner for my family. We're having this:

Sirloin Strips over Rice

1-1/2 lbs boneless beef sirloin steak, cut into thin strips
    2 tsp olive oil, divided
    2 medium onions, thinly sliced
    1 garlic clove, minced
    1 14.5 oz can diced tomatoes, undrained
    1/2 cup reduced sodium beef broth
    1/3 cup dry red wine OR additional beef broth
    1 bay leaf
    1/2 tsp dried thyme
    1/2 tsp dried basil
    3 cups hot cooked rice

Sprinkle beef strips with salt and pepper to taste. in a large nonstick skilled coated with cooking spray, brown beef in 1 tsp olive oil. Remove and keep warm.

In the same skillet, saute onions and garlic in remaining oil until tender. Stir into tomatoes, broth, wine or additional broth, bay leaf, basil and thyme. Bring to a boil, reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes.

Return beef to the pan; cook for 2-4 minutes or until tender and mixture is heated through. Discard bay leaf. Serve over rice.

6 servings
    serving size 2/3 cup beef mixture with 1/2 cup cooked rice

Calories 299
    Fat 7g
    Sat fat 2g
    Cholesterol 63 mg
    Sodium 567 mg
    Carbs 31 g
    Fiber 3g
    Protein 25g

P.S. Do you all think I post too many recipes? lol

MmMmMmMmmmm
    that sounds like some good ol' comfort food! and NO you do not post too many recipes I don't think anyone could.... tonight we're having Chicken Carbonara... hopefully a healthier version from the heavy whipping cream sauce.. I'll post when after I've made it and have my measurements!
  • Arienna
    Options
    Chicken Carbonara sounds soo good! I will continue to post recipes practically daily then lol.

I'm sooo frustrated though!!! :mad:

Does anyone else have a super unsupportive husband/partner?! My husband just doesn't get it. He complains and complains when I make a "healthy" dinner that he would rather have something fried in butter or whatever. He is in good shape, and I try and tell him just cause he's thin doesn't mean that he is in good health! He doesn't care I guess. He just wants to eat 'good' food. He knows I'm trying to lose weight, he in no way supports me, instead he does just the opposite. I don't understand, I would think he would WANT this. When I met him I weighed about 115 lbs.. I know this is horrible to say but sometimes I wonder why I am still with him.

Anyway, sorry to vent like that! I just am sooo angry!
  • mamaturner
    Options
    Chicken Carbonara sounds soo good! I will continue to post recipes practically daily then lol.

Does anyone else have a super unsupportive husband/partner?! My husband just doesn't get it. He complains and complains when I make a "healthy" dinner that he would rather have something fried in butter or whatever. He is in good shape, and I try and tell him just cause he's thin doesn't mean that he is in good health! He doesn't care I guess. He just wants to eat 'good' food. He knows I'm trying to lose weight, he in no way supports me, instead he does just the opposite. I don't understand, I would think he would WANT this. When I met him I weighed about 115 lbs.. I know this is horrible to say but sometimes I wonder why I am still with him.

Oh my gosh Courtne you have no idea how similar our situations are... when my husbad and I met 4 1/2 years go I also weight 115# my lowest and healthiest! Everything changed when I got pregnant with my daughter, and it's only getting worse. He's also thin and "fit" but I also try to tell him how eating once a day is not healthy (that's pretty much how he eats) thanks to living with his batcholer father for 5 years. I try and I mean you can look at me and see I'm losing the weight but all the time he makes snyde comments of how fat I am, how lazy (yea right! I work part time and take care of our daughter, cook, clean and take care of that big baby!)
    I don't know how many times that damn D or S(eperate) word have come into my head, bt I'm not a quitter. I think perhaps there's something in my husband (and yours too) that's afraid of what will happen when we do lose the weight. We'll be more attractive to the opposite and sometimes same sex (hehe had to) and they'll have to "stake their clame" all over again. I've spent many hours wondering why he doesn't support me, he tells me all the time he just wants me the way I was when we met but doesn't realize that him saying that I look beautiful or remarking on my appearance would make it all the better. He often tries to "police" my eating as well. So, that being said... I'm here if you ever need to vent! And I'm sure your available for the same.. Keep your head up, don't do t for him, do it for you. That's what I keep telling myself otherwise I felt like whats the point. Sorry it's so much written!
  • nisijam5
    Options
    You are absolutely right...just because you are thin doesn't mean you are in good health...what is his blood pressure, fasting blood sugars or cholesterol levels? Family history?

There's a reason that they call heart attacks the silent killer...cause you don't know they are coming...I could go on and on...had a lady on our unit that weight about 270 kilograms, 56 years old and bedridden with so many bed wounds we couldn't even chart on all of them. Had a leg wound down to the bone and still wasn't healed after a year...most health conditions are directly related to FOOD

My opinion is....this is the way I need to eat and the way the kids need to learn to eat....I, myself, quit buying chips and pop...we just don't need it.

Look how many children are overweight. Change is very hard especially if one person doesn't necessarily want it. Please continue on your quest for good health. We need you here!!!

Kim
  • mamaturner
    Options
    So here's my Chicken Carbonara, I did it all by weight I find it's much better than measuring for some things.

Serves about 6 at 6 ounce servings

7 oz chicken breast shredded (I baked mine)
    1.8 oz prosciutto
    2T unsalted butter
    2T All Purpose Flour
    1/4 cup Crystal Farms finely shredded 6 cheese Italian
    1/4 cup Stella freshly shaved Romano and Parmesan
    1 cup chicken stock (I use Orrington Farms)
    1/2 cup Deans 1/2 and 1/2
    1/2# spaghetti (I used Columbia brand)
    1/2 cup peas

1) Cook your noodles to your favorite doneness (I do to just before aldente). Add to sauce when done to finish cooking,
    2) Melt butter, add flour and whisk until smooth.
    3)) Slowly add the chicken stock while whisking. Do the same for the half and half.
    4) Add cheese and whisk.
    5) Add proscuitto, chicken and peas. (the pasta should be added at this time)
    6) Cook a few minutes on medium low until everything is heated through and noodles are aldente.
    7) Pepper to taste.

cals-436
    carbs-58
    fat-10
    protein-28
    sodium-425

Great with some crusty french bread. I found at our local supermarket in the bakery one that's for 2 people. called la brea demi baguette, 2 oz/57g is 130 calories

Enjoy!
  • Arienna
    Options

Oh my gosh Courtne you have no idea how similar our situations are... when my husbad and I met 4 1/2 years go I also weight 115# my lowest and healthiest! Everything changed when I got pregnant with my daughter, and it's only getting worse. He's also thin and "fit" but I also try to tell him how eating once a day is not healthy (that's pretty much how he eats) thanks to living with his batcholer father for 5 years. I try and I mean you can look at me and see I'm losing the weight but all the time he makes snyde comments of how fat I am, how lazy (yea right! I work part time and take care of our daughter, cook, clean and take care of that big baby!)
    I don't know how many times that damn D or S(eperate) word have come into my head, bt I'm not a quitter. I think perhaps there's something in my husband (and yours too) that's afraid of what will happen when we do lose the weight. We'll be more attractive to the opposite and sometimes same sex (hehe had to) and they'll have to "stake their clame" all over again. I've spent many hours wondering why he doesn't support me, he tells me all the time he just wants me the way I was when we met but doesn't realize that him saying that I look beautiful or remarking on my appearance would make it all the better. He often tries to "police" my eating as well. So, that being said... I'm here if you ever need to vent! And I'm sure your available for the same.. Keep your head up, don't do t for him, do it for you. That's what I keep telling myself otherwise I felt like whats the point. Sorry it's so much written!

It does look like we are in the same boat! My husband is always telling me how I don't do anything and I'm lazy yet does he realize how he puts on clean clothes every day? How his food gets cooked? Dishes get washed? Who takes care of the children? NO lol. I am looking for a job and he knows it but it's not like I sit home and do nothing. I also have a full time class load trying to get my degree so that I can contribute more to my family. Also, he thinks because he works and brings home the money that he doesn't have to do ANYTHING. And he doesn't do a damn thing. It's very frustrating! I don't really mind doing everything but really, do not ridicule me like that for no reason. I thought that maybe it was about the being attractive to the opposite (or same! :tongue: ) sex, and it could be but I don't know. I have thought about divorce soo many times, but I have two children also that I don't want to grow up going back and forth, but at the same time if we're not getting a long that is also unhealthy for them. I don't want to just give up either but regardless of how much I weigh, he should respect me just the same, and he's not giving me respect. I'm just hoping things get better, wishful thinking i'm sure! Anyway, sorry for rambling but yes, definitely anytime you need to vent I am here! :flowerforyou:
  • Arienna
    Options
    Thanks for the recipe too, sounds yummy!! :)
  • Arienna
    Options
    You are absolutely right...just because you are thin doesn't mean you are in good health...what is his blood pressure, fasting blood sugars or cholesterol levels? Family history?

There's a reason that they call heart attacks the silent killer...cause you don't know they are coming...I could go on and on...had a lady on our unit that weight about 270 kilograms, 56 years old and bedridden with so many bed wounds we couldn't even chart on all of them. Had a leg wound down to the bone and still wasn't healed after a year...most health conditions are directly related to FOOD

My opinion is....this is the way I need to eat and the way the kids need to learn to eat....I, myself, quit buying chips and pop...we just don't need it.

Look how many children are overweight. Change is very hard especially if one person doesn't necessarily want it. Please continue on your quest for good health. We need you here!!!

Kim

Yeah, getting him to go to the doctor is impossible. I bug him regularly about it, but he won't budge. He says it's HIS health and I shouldn't be so concerned! Like WTF?! He is my husband but more importantly, he is MY children's father so it is important to me as it should be to him! Also, for the past several months I have done a lot for my children as far as adjusting their eating. I'm lucky they both love fruits and veggies. I've always given them a wide variety and they've just always eaten them. For snacks they have yogurt, cheese and crackers (reduced fat cheese and triscuits, usually), fruits and stuff like celery and pb. They don't drink pop or kool-aid or anything. I do buy 100% grape juice but they are only allowed one 4oz glass a day. Otherwise they drink water and skim milk. I buy whole grain breads, and no chips or candy or anything. Sure I allow them sweets and some 'junk' food. But definitely not on a daily basis. I want my kids growing up with healthy habits. They also go on regular walks with me with the puppy! It's crucial to get them in these habits now while they are young! I just wish my hubby wouldn't be soo stubborn! :angry:
  • mamaturner
    Options
    Lord do i know, i literally have to buy 2 types of milk bc he refuses to drink anything but whole milk and now he wants white bread prpbably that horrible wonder crap (i eat arnolds doublefiber and love it!) Also, if there's no meat in the food it's not worth eating (to him) His only excercise is while he's at work and while it does contain about 4 miles of walking a night, that's itand he does not eat nearly as much as his body craves. I told him that from now on if he doesn't like what I make he can make his own.... his answer to that is to go to wendy's or burger king, did I mention moneys tight and we're moving in a month!?!? Men are stubborn *kitten* who often only think of themselves. I could never silently cry until i was married.
  • Arienna
    Options
    Lord do i know, i literally have to buy 2 types of milk bc he refuses to drink anything but whole milk and now he wants white bread prpbably that horrible wonder crap (i eat arnolds doublefiber and love it!) Also, if there's no meat in the food it's not worth eating (to him) His only excercise is while he's at work and while it does contain about 4 miles of walking a night, that's itand he does not eat nearly as much as his body craves. I told him that from now on if he doesn't like what I make he can make his own.... his answer to that is to go to wendy's or burger king, did I mention moneys tight and we're moving in a month!?!? Men are stubborn *kitten* who often only think of themselves. I could never silently cry until i was married.

OMG this is MY Husband!!! LOL He refuses to drink skim milk with the rest of the family, so I have to buy whole as well! Also! I eat arnold's doublefiber!! lol It is very good and a good price compared to all other whole grain bread I see, I get mine at walmart for like $2.25 or something; and my husband HAS to have wonderbread! LOL God, maybe they were separated at birth lol. My husband says the same thing about just getting fast food...and we are tight on money right now too. With only him working, me having to pay for school, our kids go to a private school so that's about $400 in tuition a month, we just bought a new car about 3 months ago and his truck's engine just died! I try and budget our money wisely to save not to blow on cheeseburgers. I feel a little better getting all this out :laugh: Though, I'm sorry you are in the same situation because I know how rough it is, I am glad I have someone to relate to! lol
  • mamaturner
    Options
    No I'm happy too ,lol. And I think it will help us laugh some of the smaller that add up things off. Yes to add to the fast food junkie he's also a smoker. Oh yea and back to the Dr. mine won't go either, I grew up without insurance and no how horrible it is. we're still paying off a bill from when I went to the ER back in '05 so now that we have it I'm extremely regular with check ups for medical and dental. BUT HE WON'T GO! It's like they're a damn brick wall. By any chance is yours from TX? lol, I think they're more stubbern there. Anywho I guess I have to wait for him to get a kidney stone or for his teeth to start falling out for him to take advantage of the insurance!
  • Arienna
    Options
    No I'm happy too ,lol. And I think it will help us laugh some of the smaller that add up things off. Yes to add to the fast food junkie he's also a smoker. Oh yea and back to the Dr. mine won't go either, I grew up without insurance and no how horrible it is. we're still paying off a bill from when I went to the ER back in '05 so now that we have it I'm extremely regular with check ups for medical and dental. BUT HE WON'T GO! It's like they're a damn brick wall. By any chance is yours from TX? lol, I think they're more stubbern there. Anywho I guess I have to wait for him to get a kidney stone or for his teeth to start falling out for him to take advantage of the insurance!

Mine doesn't smoke or drink but he is definitely stubborn! He isn't from Texas, lol. Born and raised in Michigan. He's gone to the dr ONE time since I've been with him in the past 10 1/2 yrs! And that time at the point that he got there, he was severely dehydrated and had to have 2 IV bags. It's crazy.. His job gives him great benefits and he doesn't use them at all. He refuses to go for physicals and dental check ups. The ONLY thing he does is go get his vision checked because otherwise he can't see. It's a good thing the kids and I use the insurance to the max :laugh: Gotta get our money's worth.

I'm off to bed, 11 pm and just finished up some home work. Have a good night all!! :flowerforyou: :heart:
  • XFitMojoMom
    XFitMojoMom Posts: 3,255 Member
    Options
    You guys are cracking me up. I can't say that my husband is not supportive, because he is. He rides my butt and that's where it gets ugly. He could stand to lose a good 30 pounds himself, and he loves to have 2-3 cocktails a night. He will sit down after dinner in the la-z-boy and down his drinks and then want to snack.
    If I go back to get a second helping of dinner, I get the 'awful truth' and 'portion control' talk. But when it comes time for him... he's asking me to prepare him popcorn, or snacking on pretzels...:noway:
    I ask him all the time if after dinner as a family we could go out for a walk - it will help us digest our food, it will teach the girls the importance of exercise AND family time... but groans and tells me he's not a going for a walk kind of person.:brokenheart:

When we both recently went for our physical, I was soo ticked off with him that he had healthy cardiovascular health... he basically does nothing to help his cardio (smokes cigars occasionally too!):grumble: . I came in below average health and I work out almost everyday.:angry:
    On a positive note - I registered above average in strength - and he couldn't do 1 sit up, or 1 push up:laugh:

Anyway, during the summer months, I did what I wanted and I explained to him that if I wasn't going to have a partner in this, then I won't take his guilt trips when I go out after dinner to walk the dog. As much as I'd love to take the girls too, since he's sitting on his duff, he could watch them for the hour or 45 minutes.
    So declare your independence! I won't tell you that they will join you, but I think they may change their tune.