Visualize This

Options

Replies

• Arienna
    Arienna Posts: 913
    Options
    Kim - I was thinking that exact same thing about the tax on sodas/sugary juice. And thanks for the link on body measurements! I measured myself a couple weeks ago but when I went to remeasure I realized I didn't know exactly where on my waist/thigh/arm I measured the first time around so there was no way to accurately remeasure. Hopefully the page will help.

I have a question - I've heard it's better to weigh yourself in the mornings and that this is a better representation of your "true" weight - what do you all think of this? I've been weighing myself at night before bed, and I'm usually a pound or two heavier at night than in the morning. (I was 118.5 last night, 117 this morning.) Since I've been consistent with the time I weight myself since I started MFP, I think I've been tracking my actual weight loss pretty accurately, but I'm wondering if I should switch and start weighing in the mornings (which would skew my loss for this week and make it look bigger by a pound or two than it really was). For anyone who knows, why would morning be better to weigh yourself?

I found this on Bally Fitness

When to Weigh Yourself
    When you're trying to lose weight, it's only natural to want to jump on the scale frequently. But doing so can lead to frustration. Here's why: weighing yourself daily or at different times of day can put you on a weigh-in roller coaster, since body weight can fluctuate throughout the day.

Instead of acting on that urge to weigh yourself constantly, transform it into a more strategic (and ultimately more satisfying) plan. Get on the scale once a week at the same time of day. Experts also suggest that a morning weigh-in, done before eating and drinking, may give you the most accurate and consistent readings.

Remember that the scale isn't the only measure of weight loss success. In fact, if you're strength training regularly, you may find that the scale isn't moving as much as you expected -- even though you feel and look better. The reason: strength training builds muscle, and an increase in muscle weight can mask the fact that you're actually losing body-fat weight. So to put your weekly weigh-ins in the proper perspective, ask yourself a few big-picture questions: Do my clothes fit better?
  • amym1
    amym1 Posts: 13
    Options
    I blew it yesterday. Got too hungry before dinner and ate 2 pieces of bread. I should probably have grabbed carrot sticks or something... I'm going to try to cook "real" meals this week and not rely so much on lean cuisine.

Here is my recipe for "Healthy Joes" - this is from the American Heart Association Quick and Easy cookbook. What I love about this is that you can't tell there is zucchini in it. My husband would never eat a plate of zucchini if I served it plain, but he will eat this and loves it.

3/4 lb. lean ground beef
    1 cup chopped onion
    1 medium red, yellow or green bell pepper, chopped
    1 1/2 cups low-fat meatless spaghetti (I usually use Classico Tomato Basil, but not sure if it is low-fat)
    1 medium zucchini shredded (use a large cheese grater)
    1 tbsp. chilli powder
    1 tsp. paprika
    1/2 tsp bottled minced garlic (or use fresh if you prefer, but add it to the beef, onion and pepper while browning)
    1/8 tsp salt
    4 whole wheat hamburger buns (or light hamburger buns)
    Dill hamburger pickle slices or alfalfa sprouts (optional)

In a large skillet, cook beef, onion and bell pepper over med-high heat until meat is brown and onion is tender, about 7 minutes, stirring occasionally. Place meat mixture in a colander and rinse under hot water, drain well. Wipe skillet with a paper towel. Return meat mixture to skillet. Stir in spaghetti sauce, zucchini, chili powder, paprika, garlic, and salt. Bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, for 5 minutes.

Spoon meat mixture onto buns, top with pickles or alfalfa sprouts if desired. Enjoy!

Amy
  • nisijam5
    nisijam5 Posts: 10,390 Member
    Options
    I say morning after voiding....nighttime weight can fluctuate more d/t sodium contents of the day, drinking extra fluids, exercising or sweating...just my thoughts, Kim
  • Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    Options
    That makes sense, but a follow up questions (potentially TMI...): What if you don't regularly "void' in the mornings? Especially since I started eating better and exercising this tends to happen to me several times throughout the day and not often at one regular time (like in the morning).
  • mamaturner
    mamaturner Posts: 2,533 Member
    Options
    Anyone else measuring instead of just weighing? I took all my measurements and made a spreadsheet to keep track of it monthly. I can make one for all of us if you're interested? If you are, please post Neck, bust, chest, waist, hips, both upper arms, both forearms, both thighs, and both calves measurements and current weights to me on here or in a pm and I'll include them. Will update the spreadsheet once a month!

Here's a link to mine, I uploaded it through Google Docs...not sure if you can click on it not logged in or not.

http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0AvSCOx9Fd1U8dHhqR1dWNHpOYWFPWFBIRkxVcDQwSkE&hl=en

I would love one! All I do are the 3 that mfp supplies. I was a bit surprised there weren't more options, but I measure every time I weight! I think that's a great idea, Monday I'll send mine to you!
  • mamaturner
    mamaturner Posts: 2,533 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself in the morning, in between dressing, lol ya know sometimes that little bit of clothes makes me wonder. After is when I down my first glass of water.
  • charcharbec
    charcharbec Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    Hope you all are enjoying your weekend. It's the easiest time to indulge.

Like I just ate lunch too fast (I have been trying to eat slower to get fuller faster) and I am STILL hungry. Blech. Supposed to go to the gym today, but is it bad that I am COMPLETELY not motivated? I am going to go, in 45 mins or so. But--- *whines*

I get VERY discouraged with the weight loss thing. I DO weight train so I know that my muscles have got to add. Think I need to take a trip on my way home to pick up a tape measure. That will have to be MUCH more encouraging.

Anyone ever feel like they are the only ones who will never REALLY lose weight? I am sure that I will. Right? One of those, "I want it now" things right?

It's just that its been two weeks. Feels longer. We will see on Monday.
    -becca
  • nisijam5
    Options
    That makes sense, but a follow up questions (potentially TMI...): What if you don't regularly "void' in the mornings? Especially since I started eating better and exercising this tends to happen to me several times throughout the day and not often at one regular time (like in the morning).

Then it is what it is.....NP

I'm a girl; so, it's a big difference (too many babies) and I drink lots of hot lemon water at night which I believe is a natural diuretic

Kim
  • nisijam5
    Options
    Yep, me too....birthday suit....lol
  • nisijam5
    Options

Anyone ever feel like they are the only ones who will never REALLY lose weight? I am sure that I will. Right? One of those, "I want it now" things right?

-becca

I agree, trying to stay off the scale cause it doesn't change and it's frustrating. Especially, since I had 3 birthday parties this week

So, on a positive note...now, when I look down, I can see my toes, I have more energy and am able to do more of the fitness videos, my resting heart rate is lower (used to be high 80s and now in 70s) and I got into a pair of pants that I couldn't before (although, they were a bit snug).

So, let's talk about changes that you notice that are a positive sign of change.....
  • charcharbec
    Options

-becca

I agree, trying to stay off the scale cause it doesn't change and it's frustrating. Especially, since I had 3 birthday parties this week

So, on a positive note...now, when I look down, I can see my toes, I have more energy and am able to do more of the fitness videos, my resting heart rate is lower (used to be high 80s and now in 70s) and I got into a pair of pants that I couldn't before (although, they were a bit snug).

So, let's talk about changes that you notice that are a positive sign of change.....

Good to know I am not alone. My boobs are shrinking. And... I am SO much more flexible than I used to be, and I have more endurance on the machines at the gym.

I HATE days off from the gym because I feel lazy. But I know I need to give my body that time. I already go at LEAST 5 times a week. I think though, that i need to lay off the peanut butter. I only have a very little bit with snacks... like if i have a banana or celery. But its KILLING my fat grams for the day. I love nuts but they are high in fat, but low in carbs. My problem is my fat intake. ANyone else have that problem?
  • Mindful_Trent
    Options
    I have a book recommendation for you all: "The Beck Diet Solution: Train your brain to think like a thin person" by Judith S. Beck.

My therapist recommended the book to me, and I really like what I've read so far. It is a cognitive therapy approach that basically teaches you how to diet (that term is used loosely - it applies to just watching what you eat as well as to popular diets that are out there). It works with whatever eating plan you are on and helps with the motivation and positive thinking that we need to stick with it and get through the challenges that all people trying to lose weight have (or will) face.

I'm currently reading a library-borrowed copy but will probably buy my own when I have to return this one. :smile:
  • jeanniedreambtl
    Options
    So surprisingly noone has told me to SNAP OUT OF IT JEANNIE! Therefore I will nominate myself for that position, lol. I feel anyone slacking off I'll be the one to kick you in the rear. Haha. Just kidding! We are all here to do that...:tongue:

Becca- Although peanut butter and nuts, also avacados are high in fat, they are actually good for you. So dont feel guilty eating them. Dont indulge either tho. Thanks for all the great advice you've been giving here lately. I finally got a chance to go through and read what everyone has wrote.
    Tiff- I believe the best time to weigh in would be in the morning. Just my opinion tho, because in the morning ofcourse is when your body has had time to rest and digest everything.

Have ya'll ever seen the show, "You are what you eat". It is a real eye opener. This woman goes to people's houses that need help quitting eating unhealthy. And she makes them make a list of what all they ate for a week, then presents all of it on a table to show them what they are putting in their bodies in just one week. Alot of people on there get pretty emotional. I imagine I would too. Oh and she also makes them poop into a container and examines it for fiber and such, most of them she criticizes pretty harsh.

Here's a good and simple quote for the day: If you eat junk-you'll look and feel like junk. If you eat good-you'll feel and look good! It's that simple!

I've been sick for the past week or so and decided to take a few days off from working out. Believe it or not, if you work out when you're sick it's actually not good for. Because your immune system has to work even harder when you're sick. Now I feel much better since I took a break. Need to get back and get my rear in gear...:happy:

Didn't mean to write a novel on here ya'll lol, I just had lot to say this morning. Here's a great quick recipe:

Mini-Turkey Avacado Wrap

Ingredients
    1/4 ripe Hass avacado
    1/2 tsp. minced scallion
    1/2 tsp. fresh lemon juice
    salt and black pepper
    1 8-inch multigrain wrap
    1 slice smoked turkey
    Directions
    In a bowl, mash the avocado with the scallion and lemon juice; sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste. Spread mixture on the wrap, top with the turkey, and fold like a burrito. (Can be refrigerated, well wrapped, for up to 1 day.)

P.S.- I feel rude when I'm not able to remember everyone's names, so can everyone please put your name in your forum signature? Thank You:)
    Everyone have a spectacular day!!!!
    :heart:
  • Arienna
    Options
    Anyone else measuring instead of just weighing? I took all my measurements and made a spreadsheet to keep track of it monthly. I can make one for all of us if you're interested? If you are, please post Neck, bust, chest, waist, hips, both upper arms, both forearms, both thighs, and both calves measurements and current weights to me on here or in a pm and I'll include them. Will update the spreadsheet once a month!

Here's a link to mine, I uploaded it through Google Docs...not sure if you can click on it not logged in or not.

http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0AvSCOx9Fd1U8dHhqR1dWNHpOYWFPWFBIRkxVcDQwSkE&hl=en

I would love one! All I do are the 3 that mfp supplies. I was a bit surprised there weren't more options, but I measure every time I weight! I think that's a great idea, Monday I'll send mine to you!

Ok, great! Anyone else interested? I think I am going to make one of everyone's weights, too to keep track of it and our total group weight loss as well. I have to say though I feel so ashamed being in this group because I have so much to lose :grumble:

Anyway! I had a blast with my family yesterday at the pumpkin patch! We ended up doing this corn maze, which was an hour long our so. We also fed animals, went on a hay ride, picked some apples, picked out some pumpkins and had cider and donuts! I had them keep mine plain instead of glaze or adding cinnamon/sugar and I only had one! So that's how I kept myself in control lol.

Jeannie- I added my name to my sig for ya! I am glad you are feeling better!:drinker: I felt bad for most of this week as well, seeing as though I started my period on monday :mad: I don't think I'll see much of a change in my weight but at least I'm getting into better eating habits!

I'm going to my parents house today for lunch..but my mom made beef stew with a tomato base not beef gravy, which is how I make it so it'll be healthy! Here's a recipe for it if anyone is interested. You can make this in the slow cooker or stove top, if you make it in the slow cooker you want to brown the beef first and add beef, carrots, potatoes, onion, garlic, and tomato juice to crock pot and cook on low 7-8 hrs or high 4 hours then add green beans and corn until they are heated through and serve!

2 lbs lean stew meat (I usually use sirloin)
    1 large can (not sure how many ounces it is, maybe 48) tomato juice
    1 14.5 oz can crushed/diced tomatoes
    1 lb potatoes, cut into bite size pieces
    5 large carrots, sliced
    1 large onion, chopped
    2 cloves garlic, minced
    1 bag frozen corn
    1-2 cans green beans ( I don't like frozen green beans which is why I say canned, fresh can be used too)
    2 tbsp olive oil

Cook the onion in a large skillet for 5 min, add garlic cook for 1-2 more minutes then add beef and cook until browned. What I usually do to make it more tender is add water and simmer it on low, covered until the water is gone and check its tenderness, repeat if necessary. While the meat is cooking boil potatoes and carrots, separately. When potatoes and carrots and tender drain and add to 8-10 quart stew pot, add meat, tomato juice, corn and beans; let simmer 1-2 hrs.

Hope you all have a wonderful day!!!
  • charcharbec
    Options
    I am totally interested. It started snowing here today, but tomorrow I hope to go get a tape measure so that I can start doing the measuring too. I feel like I am getting smaller, but I know for a fact I am gaining muscle (two weeks ago I tricep'd pressed 70 lbs, and today 110). And.... I think my body was also adjusting to the fact that I am now eating a good amount of nutrious calories and exercising, so my weight isn't fluxing as BAD in water weight as before. It used to go up like 2 pounds every day, but now it goes up .6 tops.

But I think that my inches are coming off, and I want to be certain. Be able to do it like... once a month or something right?

-Becca
  • Mindful_Trent
    Options

I'd love to join in - I will send you my measurements once my measuring tape arrives...just ordered it off of amazon. The string and ruler method I was attempting before was not working too well. :laugh:
  • Arienna
    Options
    Hope everyone is having a wonderful Sunday!!

For anyone that is interested...I was reading through some other posts and someone mentioned a Couch to 5k Program that was conservative and 7 months long, not 9 weeks. I am going to be doing this if anyone is interested instead of the 9 weeks. I just think with how much I have to lose, the 7 month plan is much more doable and I won't feel like a failure from not doing the 9 week plan correctly! Here is a link to a site I found
    http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/cms/article-detail.asp?articleid=27
    It has the plan written out and talks about why it's good if you're trying to lose weight! It starts out by simply walking for 30 min, this is VERY doable for me.

Also, were we going to start new threads each Monday?
  • Giggles27
    Giggles27 Posts: 139
    Options
    Hello to my fav group of people...how was everyone's weekend? It was Diwali (The biggest Indian (Hindu) holiday of the year). So needless to stay I did horrible with food, but I did good today. I also took my measurements...is there somewhere we are putting them? So how is everyone???
  • Arienna
    Options
    Hi Giggles! (do you mind letting us in on your first name? lol) I am going to be keeping track of measurements if you're interested!

Neck, chest, bust, waist, hips, upper arms, fore arms, thighs and calves! just have your info to me by tomorrow and Ill put it all on a spreadsheet!
  • Mindful_Trent
    Options
    Hey everyone! I've had a good weekend - re-stocked on my healthy food yesterday (though I realized last night my lettuce/greens went bad and I need to buy more of that... :grumble: ) I exercised every day except for Thursday this last week. I'm actually excited about weighing myself - i decided to start weighing in the mornings, so I'll post my weight tomorrow morning.

Courtney - I'm not sure we really need to post a new topic every week, do we? It seems much easier to keep going on one thread, then we know where to find everything. Otherwise if we need to go back and find a specific recipe or comment it could be cumbersome searching through the difference 'Visualize This" Threads... just my 2-cents.

Anyhoo... it's getting late and I really should go have dinner. (Bad habit of mine... eating a laaate dinner...) I'm having turkey, whole wheat rotini with fire roasted tomato and garlic sauce, some fresh veggies and fruit. Yummy!

-Tiff