Visualize This

Options

Replies

• maddmaddmama
    maddmaddmama Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    i failed today!!! i ate 2 tea cookies, had soda, ate at a japanese restaurant and had sour punch at the movies i also had a venti coffee with hazelnut creamer!!! omg:explode: i also havent been working out lately...i wish i had all you guys to pull me out of bed and workout...:sad:

Marian you didnt fail today....you came in here and admitted what you ate and put it on your food log...I say that is a great accomplishment....you go girl!!!! Im going to the gym tonight after school/work...and then I am trying to go dancing tonight (lets see if I can get the girls together)....will you be working out as well???

wow i can't believe how much positive energy everyone is sharing i don't doubt one bit about joining this group thanks you guys. I will definitely go to the gym tonight, but the dancing classes are always real full no space to dance. probably step in for a strength training class then do cardio afterwards.
  • mamaturner
    mamaturner Posts: 2,533 Member
    Options
    So I just had to share with yall..... tons of stress have just melted with one phone call.... WE GOT THE HOUSE WE APPLIED TO TO RENT! AHHH! ok.... I'm better.. lol.. now comes just the stress of moving with an infant, lol, but it's SO worth it!
  • charcharbec
    charcharbec Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    So I'm a little confused when entering strength training. I just started today (I typically only do the eliptical and yoga) But I really wanna work on my arms, sowhen I put in my reps and such it doesn't give you how many calories you've burned, am I doing something wrong, is that just how it is? Help! Good for staying positive shamrock! We can only get better!

Because you basically dont burn THAT much with strength training unless you are doing a circut. The reason strength training is SO good is that eventually (though I have seen different arguments on this) you build muscle which makes it easier to burn fat. So for example, the stronger your legs are, the faster you run. Or, the slower you run, and the less your muscles hurt from doing it. It's like this giant math equation right? So you need the muscle to help burn the fat, the food to help supply the nutrients and energy that you need to be healthy so that you CAN burn fat, and the cardio to actually burn the fat.

So

Food + Cardio + Muscle= weightloss

And you cant SPOT train. Meaning-- you cant do crunches and think that just because you are getting stronger abs you will lose the fat there. You lose the most recent fat first. So if you just had a baby and gained a lot of belly weight-- that (by this theory) goes first. But usually its you gain bottom to top and lose top to bottom (or so I have been told).

Be patient. You aren't doing anything wrong.
  • Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    Options
    In regards to the calories burned while doing strength training, MFP does have a "Strength training" item in the cardio section - probably for when you're doing the circuit training and are doing pretty constant work with an elevated heart rate. I don't know how accurate it is...
  • mamaturner
    Options
    Terrific! Thank you both of you! And by the way it is true about the wait in the belly first after having a baby, lol. I had a baby in February and I've lost the most in my waist! Again, thank you! And if anyone has some really good at home arm excercises, my upper arms and I thank you.:wink:
  • Mindful_Trent
    Options
    I'm so proud of myself! :smile: I did good and only ate what I planned out ahead of time when we went out to lunch today. I ignored the fried onion pieces they added to my plate. Plus, at work someone brought in donuts this morning and then there was a cake (it looked like carrot cake with cream cheese frosting... my favorite!!) later in the day (both for boss' day) - I didn't partake in either cause I knew I didn't need/want the calories/fat/sugar. I usually have a hard time saying no to things like that - I've had the attitude that if it's being offered, I should have some. But I'm learning!!!

-Tiff
  • mamaturner
    Options
    I'm so proud of myself! :smile: I did good and only ate what I planned out ahead of time when we went out to lunch today. I ignored the fried onion pieces they added to my plate. Plus, at work someone brought in donuts this morning and then there was a cake (it looked like carrot cake with cream cheese frosting... my favorite!!) later in the day (both for boss' day) - I didn't partake in either cause I knew I didn't need/want the calories/fat/sugar. I usually have a hard time saying no to things like that - I've had the attitude that if it's being offered, I should have some. But I'm learning!!!

-Tiff

Congrats!!! Good job, you have way more self control than I do, especially with donuts!! There were my biggest preggo crave food that totally stuck with me, however I don't think I've had one since March. Keep it up! I'm excited for Monday!
  • Arienna
    Arienna Posts: 913
    Options

-Tiff

That's awesome!!! Congrats!!! Turning down foods, especially favorites is VERY hard. You did it!!! Just think you're one step closer to your goal!
  • outdoormom09
    Options
    marianne - what kind of dog do you have?
    I just started enjoying walking my dog. I have a puller, but I finally bought a harness for him and now, wow... pure pleasure to go for a walk - even with the double stroller :happy:

I have a boxer/pit and he's also a puller, a major one at that no kidding i feel like my arm will pop out sometimes. he has a collar and a harness and when we go on walks i have the retractable leash attached to him. at first he goes nuts but when he gets really tired he calms down alot. i know i have to train him but i dont have the patience and the money for training school. How old is yours? mines just turned 2.
    Mine (Jake) is 4. I got him when I was 6 months pregnant with my first. I had grand ambitions of walking him everyday - LOL... then toward my 8th month of pregnancy, in the dead of winter he pulled me so hard I fell on my belly.
    This past summer we walked 2 miles almost every day, he pulled and pulled and I have tendonitis in my elbow and would be in pain after the walk. My husband's work schedule changed a little this fall and he started traveling a lot so most of September I was off my exercise wagon. Anyway, long story short - I knew about the gentle leader but Jake could get out of that with a shake of his head. Cesar Milan recommended a harness for another puller - I decided to try it and WHAT A DIFFERENCE. Night and Day. Even my husband who is 6'1" and 230 pounds wasn't getting tugged all over the road.

BTW - King is a cutie!!

Oh my goodness i can't believe you fell on your belly!? thank god your baby is ok? yea the harness does no good for me i spoil him to much i guess. now that i think about it i think i have tendonitis..what are your symptoms of such...wow..2 miles good job..you shoud continue with that. i dont even know how far we walk i just know how long...i think its about 2 miles but im afraid to walk him too long he always looks like he'll dehydrate of something. anyway thanks for the compliment on my kingston :tongue:
    [/quote

We just got a boxer puppy a few weeks ago. Her name is MOJO... she is so cute and so sweet. What a great pet.
  • Arienna
    Options
    Anyone else measuring instead of just weighing? I took all my measurements and made a spreadsheet to keep track of it monthly. I can make one for all of us if you're interested? If you are, please post Neck, bust, chest, waist, hips, both upper arms, both forearms, both thighs, and both calves measurements and current weights to me on here or in a pm and I'll include them. Will update the spreadsheet once a month!

Here's a link to mine, I uploaded it through Google Docs...not sure if you can click on it not logged in or not.

http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0AvSCOx9Fd1U8dHhqR1dWNHpOYWFPWFBIRkxVcDQwSkE&hl=en
  • Arienna
    Options
    These aren't the healthiest things ever..but they are yummy! it says a serving is 3 pancakes. I made these last weekend and I just ate 1.5 pancakes and half the syrup it calls for so it was only 250ish calories. I also had a glass of skim milk with it and an apple, sliced.

Ingredients

* 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
    * 1/4 cup whole wheat flour
    * 2 teaspoons sugar
    * 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
    * 1/4 teaspoon salt
    * 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
    * 2/3 cup minced peeled apple
    * 1/4 cup raisins
    * 2/3 cup buttermilk
    * 1 egg, separated
    * 2 teaspoons butter, melted
    * 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
    * SYRUP:
    * 1/4 cup sugar
    * 2 teaspoons cornstarch
    * 2/3 cup apple cider or juice
    * 1 cinnamon stick (1-1/2 inches)
    * Dash ground nutmeg
    * Additional butter, optional

Directions

* In a small bowl, combine the first six ingredients; stir in apple and raisins. Combine the buttermilk, egg yolk, butter and vanilla; stir into dry ingredients. In a small bowl, beat egg white until soft peaks form; fold into batter.
    * Pour batter by heaping 1/4 cupfuls onto a hot griddle coated with cooking spray; turn when bubbles form on top. Cook until the second side is lightly browned.
    * Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, combine the sugar, cornstarch and cider until smooth; add cinnamon stick. Bring to a boil over medium heat; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Discard cinnamon stick. Stir nutmeg into syrup. Serve pancakes with warm syrup and additional butter if desired. Yield: 6 pancakes (2/3 cup syrup).

Nutrition Facts: 3 pancakes with 1/3 cup syrup (prepared with reduced-fat butter; calculated without additional butter) equals 492 calories, 6 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 116 mg cholesterol, 605 mg sodium, 101 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 12 g protein.
  • maddmaddmama
    maddmaddmama Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    wow i can't believe it's almost monday...are the days passing by fast or what?!!! i hope everyone is keeping up the good work, after reading some posts seems like everyone is on the right track..don't get tempted this weekend i sure hope i dont..crossing my fingers. i always get tempted at work to walk down to the cafe and get a strawberry icee. and fries but i made my breakfast and lunch for tomorrow. oatmeal and banana for breakfast and chicken salad for lunch and a tea cookie for snack. anyway keep up the good work guys :flowerforyou:

91531.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Chart
  • jeanniedreambtl
    Options
    Hi Everyone!
    LOL- Ya'll are so fast at this, I cant keep up :laugh:

Just wanted to check in and say hello. Things are going great:) Where's Ian been? I got to admit for the past 3 days I havent been exercising, its been raining non stop here in TN. I need to get my rear in gear. Oh also, working 3rd shifts makes it a little harder on me to get in my exercise. However I will not give up!

I need all of you to say: JEANNIE- SNAP OUT OF IT! I need the support PLEASE!

Thank You! Talk to ya'll later. Keep up the good work!

:heart:
  • Arienna
    Options
    Taking my kids to the pumpkin patch/cider mill today! Kind of have mixed feelings about this because that means cider and donuts..lol. I think I'm going to go in telling myself I will eat one donut and one glass of cider because if I try and have none I might ending up eating more..lol. Also, I don't think we should completely deprive ourselves, just enjoy things we like occasionally in moderation. Deprivation will only result in binging, in my opinion anyway. Also, going into this knowing I will be eating a little badly I can prepare the rest of my day to be better :laugh:

Anyway, didn't get a walk in this morning because I'm pretty sore from yesterday and think I'm just going to try every other day for a while, adding strength exercises in on my off days, so I have to do that later today.

Oh, also I bought Dove pro-age cream oil lotion a few days ago, and it's sooo nice! I love it. It smells good and really moisturizes. Also, the main reason I bought it was because it contains Alpha Hydroxy Acids which can help lessen Keratosis Pilaris, which I have on my upper arms :mad: In case anyone doesn't know what Keratosis Pilaris is, it's those small red bumps around your hair follicles.

Hope you all have a great day!!!! :drinker: :flowerforyou:
  • nisijam5
    nisijam5 Posts: 10,390 Member
    Options
    I've been trying to get more fiber in my diet being that I know I wasn't getting enough. So, that and the fact that I've not been eating fast food all week and trying to reign in snacking - has helped me to lose the last couple weeks in spite of not exercising much.

Great sources of fiber are blueberries and raspberries...I like to it them with a deep chocolate vita-top muffin which also has 5 or 6 gms of fiber and only 100 cal per muffin...that's usually a good night-time snack for me...I mean, super chocolatey yummy.

They stop me from eating the kids foods that they get to indulge in. I quit buying pop a long time ago and now I have stopped buying chips.

If you can, exercising will help with stress. So, even if you do just 10 minutes, you release endorphins that can help relieve stress. I know, easier said than done.

Did anyone see the ad the food companies put out about the taxes on pop, juices and snack items? The ad says that it's difficult to feed a family without extra taxes put on those items....I was thinking like who needs that crap anyway...you shouldn't be buying it regardless.

Kim
  • nisijam5
    Options
    Here is a website that I found posted on MFP for measuring oneself:

http://www.gain-weight-muscle-fast.com/body-tape-measurements.html

The only thing it doesn't include is abdomen: which should be measured under 1" under belly button

Kim
  • Arienna
    Options
    Here is a website that I found posted on MFP for measuring oneself:

http://www.gain-weight-muscle-fast.com/body-tape-measurements.html

The only thing it doesn't include is abdomen: which should be measured under 1" under belly button

Kim

Thanks! I'll definitely be using this. I don't want to get discouraged for not losing weight if I'm losing inches..since muscle does weigh more than weight. Plus, I want to know my progress :smile:
  • Arienna
    Options
    My recipe for the day:

Grilled Chicken With Roasted Tomato and Oregano Salsa

INGREDIENTS
    2 tablespoon olive oil
    2 tablespoon chopped fresh basil
    2 cloves garlic, chopped
    1/2 teaspoon chopped fresh rosemary
    1/2 teaspoon fresh oregano
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1/4 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme
    1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
    4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts (about 6 oz each)
    Salsa
    1 pound fresh tomatoes, diced
    1 tablespoon olive oil
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
    1 medium shallot, diced
    1/2 cup diced onion
    1/2 small jalapeño, cored, seeded and minced
    1 teaspoon minced garlic
    1 tablespoon chopped fresh oregano

PREPARATION
    Combine first 8 ingredients in a plastic bag. Add chicken; marinate at least 30 minutes.
    Remove chicken from marinade; cook 5 minutes. Reduce heat to medium-low, flip chicken and add leftover marinade to pan. Cook 5 minutes. Reduce heat to low. Cover chicken; cook 10 minutes. Divide among 4 plates; top each with 1/4 of the salsa. Serve immediately.
    For Salsa
    Heat oven to 400. Cover a baking tray with foil. To make salsa, spread tomatoes on tray; drizzle with oil. Add salt and pepper. Bake until lightly browned, 20 to 25 minutes. Combine tomatoes, shallots, onion, jalapeño, garlic and oregano in a bowl. Coat a large skillet with cooking spray. Heat over medium-high heat.
    THE SKINNY
    312 calories per serving, 12.6 g fat (2 g saturated), 7.8 g carbs, 1.8 g fiber, 40.8 g protein
  • nisijam5
    Options
    I just printed this out....yummy...do you think you could do this in a crock pot
  • Mindful_Trent
    Options
    Kim - I was thinking that exact same thing about the tax on sodas/sugary juice. And thanks for the link on body measurements! I measured myself a couple weeks ago but when I went to remeasure I realized I didn't know exactly where on my waist/thigh/arm I measured the first time around so there was no way to accurately remeasure. Hopefully the page will help.

I have a question - I've heard it's better to weigh yourself in the mornings and that this is a better representation of your "true" weight - what do you all think of this? I've been weighing myself at night before bed, and I'm usually a pound or two heavier at night than in the morning. (I was 118.5 last night, 117 this morning.) Since I've been consistent with the time I weight myself since I started MFP, I think I've been tracking my actual weight loss pretty accurately, but I'm wondering if I should switch and start weighing in the mornings (which would skew my loss for this week and make it look bigger by a pound or two than it really was). For anyone who knows, why would morning be better to weigh yourself?