Easy for you eat healthy! You don't have kids!

Options

Replies

• BaconMD
    BaconMD Posts: 1,165 Member
    Options
    She should be setting an example for her kids. That's why I decided to get healthy...

Just my opinion.

Yeah, I used to work with a woman who's kids loved snacking on veggies and for whom a soda was a once a week treat. I wish I had grown up that way so that I knew what healthy eating was. Now that I've learned, I will teach my kids by example what a healthy lifestyle is and how awesome it feels.
    I grew up in a house where we had one night a week for pop and chips or candy or whatever, and it did me no good. As soon as I got a job, I stopped eating with the family my last year at home, and lived on crap food - mostly pizza pockets, jos Louis, ah caramel, flakies, chips, licorice, hot rods, and chocolate bars... Ten years later, my weight is off the scale at 331+ pounds, and I can hardly breathe walking a flight of 13 steps in my house... Now I am trying to undo that damage.
  • antijen
    antijen Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I'm a mom of 4 kids, which is one of the reasons I choose to eat healthily.

Last Saturday we had 2 back to back birthday parties to go to. I had a small piece of cake at the first and said "no thanks" at the second. They know what my goals are and didn't bat an eyelash. No offense taken by any (that I'm aware of).

It is just that hard.
  • unsound
    unsound Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Sounds like your friend is a little overwhelmed thinking about the changes she'd have to make -- not just eating THIS food instead of THAT one but actually changing her habits and attitudes. It's tough, and kids make it tougher (I have two). But still, if she eventually comes around to trying it a little, she'll probably find it's not as bad as she thinks.
  • ishallnotwant
    ishallnotwant Posts: 1,210 Member
    Options
    I have 5 kids. They've always eaten all the same stuff as me. They love fruits and veggies, and I make homecooked meals for them. Soda is only for special occasions and we rarely have candy/goodies in the house-when we do it is usually made from scratch-homemade granola bars, homemade muffins, stuff like that. Tonight I made each family member a jumbo dark chocolate cupcake with homemade dark chocolate frosting to celebrate our wedding anniversary, it was all from scratch and it is a special occasion so i'm ok with that (and by making us each a cupcake I didn't have to worry about tons of leftover cake)-but you won't find boxes of cake mix, cookies, goodies, etc. in my pantry.

My kids were raised exercising with me, getting active and learning about being healthy. I really don't think it was a challenge at all, it is part of my responsibility as a parent to help them learn how to care for their bodies correctly and it has been really enjoyable-kids love that kind of stuff! It's an investment in their future. I may be a bit different than many others on here though in that my version of healthy foods also involves full fat things, butter, real mayo, natural peanut butter etc.-sometimes I even fry our brekkie eggs and potatoes in bacon grease after I fry up our bacon (*gasp*) You seriously won't find a jar of fake, low-cal pb or turkey bacon or anything like that in our house. At least once every two weeks we have homemade mashed potatoes with meat and a rich gravy, veggie, and a salad. I'm all for good ole' down home country cooking. We just balance it all out with a lot of grilled and baked foods and stuff like that. I like to know what is in my food. I like to make as much of it as I can homemade, and I like to grow as many of our veggies as possible.

I am terribly sorry for the cutting remark your friend made to you about not having children. Just think though, with all of the healthy stuff you are learning, when you do have children you'll be a great role model for them!
  • Cliffslosinit
    Cliffslosinit Posts: 5,044 Member
    Options
    I'm a single Dad raising 2 kids.
    I also have the oldest with his GF and the Grandbaby.
    I'm doing just fine.
    It's all about portion control.
    We all eat everything, fruits, veggies, etc.

P.S.
    I do the shopping and cooking.
  • SPNLuver83
    SPNLuver83 Posts: 2,050 Member
    Options
    I have kids and I eat healthy. How do I do it? I make them eat healthy too *gasp!* I know, crazy but it works, and they don't mind!!

O, at at parties I either say "no thanks" or I eat a little of it. It's not rocket science lol.
  • usernamejoe
    usernamejoe Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Ah yes, birthday parties every day of the year. Knowing/having 365 kids must be tough :P . I wouldn't worry about it :)

Echo this above
  • LindaLouLu
    LindaLouLu Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    I have four kids, so that really isn't a good excuse. I make dinner and they have the option of eating it or going to bed hungry. But you better believe that I am not going to eat something separate from my kids. That is silly. We do birthdays too... Even if you have a slice of cake you aren't going to gain weight, it is when you eat all of the cake, pizza and chips, ect.

^^This.

I've got 3 myself and a husband. 85% of our meals are home made, not exactly always super healthy, but if I have the chance to do it, I shred or finely chop veggies to add to the meal (I have picky eaters). They have the option to eat what I fix or just simply not eat. It's as simple as that. My youngest is nearly a vegan. If he has the choice to skip the meat and eat the fruits and veggies and nuts, he opts for the healthy stuff. I got him cake for his birthday this year and he ate half a slice and then demanded carrots and broccoli instead. The others took a couple bites of the cake, declared it TOO sweet and asked if they could please have some blueberry muffins instead. We gave the cake to our neighbors who like to pig out on junk food. They said it was gone before morning.
    I think your friend is full of it and herself. If the kids have healthy options, they will CHOOSE healthy options. I don't know her. I don't know her children. But I DO know it's really that simple & it seems that she would rather blame you for your success than try to have her own.
    Don't sweat if your future children will eat healthy or if you will never be able to attend a birthday party (I fill up on healthy stuff prior to attending & have a very conservative piece of cake or a small scoop of ice cream). So long as you plan and it fits in your calories or even if it mildly pushes you over, it's no big deal.
    Sounds like your friend needs a bit of a reality check and to grow up.
    Just my opinion.
  • bradphil87
    bradphil87 Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    You can think of a million reasons not to do something. But you can never come up with one reason you CAN'T do something.
  • hbunting86
    hbunting86 Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    *SIGH*

That stock phrase used as a get out clause really REALLY irritates me.

So you have kids - doesn't that mean you have MORE of a motivation?! Do you want your child to be part of generation X?!

Also, since when did kids parties become the adults free-cake-for-all buffet? Ummm no. A party is a party, ergo: a treat rather than excuse to stuff ones face full of junk.

I had an argument with someone recently about their horror that there 'aren't enough' parent and toddler spaces in the supermarket car park. I pointed out there aren't enough disabled bays and got bashed for it. Urgh I get sick of other people making their children either an excuse or someone elses problem.

(rant over sorry!)
  • tropaze
    tropaze Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    *SIGH*

I had an argument with someone recently about their horror that there 'aren't enough' parent and toddler spaces in the supermarket car park. I pointed out there aren't enough disabled bays and got bashed for it. Urgh I get sick of other people making their children either an excuse or someone elses problem.

(rant over sorry!)

I don't think it's a horror, as a parent with younger children I actually prefer the spaces next to the cart corral. That way I'm right there where I return the cart and can put my child in the car first and then put everything else away including the cart without worrying about leaving my child alone. I like to put the important things in the car first: kids, purse and purchases and yes in that order. I see enough handicapped spaces where I'm shopping, but I also see rude folks who should be ticketed for parking there when they shouldn't be.
  • kristen6022
    kristen6022 Posts: 1,926 Member
    Options
    Everyone has excuses. That's hers. It's crappy she had to pull that card, especially since she knows you would like kids, but people don't think most of the time what they say will impact someone else.

It's not EASY for anyone to eat healthy and live an active lifestyle. But like I said to a friend this weekend "I have to run if I want to keep what I worked so hard for". Would it be easier to go buy Kraft Mac and Cheese, eat the whole box and sit on the couch with a bag of chips. Hellz yeah. But I like being slim more.

Like everything else in life, if it's worth having you'll work for it.
  • Bmontgomery613
    Bmontgomery613 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Oh please don't let this woman talk to my children. We're working on eating healthier as a family and they eat what I eat. In fact, this morning, they're having turkey sausage and whole wheat banana pancakes. Shhh.

Anyone who has kids and says that they *can't* eat healthy because of the kids is deluded. She's not ready to lose the weight and make the changes, so she won't. It has nothing to do with you and the issue is all hers. It's sad that she felt the need to lash out at you for it.
  • Par8hed4life
    Par8hed4life Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    She should be setting an example for her kids. That's why I decided to get healthy...

Just my opinion.

^^My inspiration as well is my son^^
    Your friend is being rediculous. This is a total cop out and is one of the the reasons for the high childhood obesity problem in America.
  • awmejia
    awmejia Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Everyone has an excuse for something. Don't let her drag you down. I have two kids plus their friends here constantly and I have managed to lose 106lbs. I go to birthday parties and everything, I just watch what I stick in my mouth.
  • Dtrmnd86
    Dtrmnd86 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    I have two 5 year olds and I still eat healthy. They eat healthy as well. They will (and have) gladly pass up cake for fruit salad. They eat quinoa and whole wheat pasta. Eating healthy is a choice and anyone can do it, regardless of having kids or not. Sounds like an excuse from your friend to not change.
  • chelsa1986
    chelsa1986 Posts: 71
    Options
    Lame excuse.
    I have three kids. I started losing weight when my third child was 6 months old. 1.5 years later I had lost 100 lbs. I'm still eating healthy and dieting today. My kids are obsessed with healthy food and exercise because I am.
    That woman won't lose weight until she stops grasping for new excuses.
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    My kids eat super healthy. Typical dinners are Salmon with brown rice and green beans. Another might be baked chicken breast with baked potato and veggies. Tonight, I'm going to make them a treat with baked chiken breast and mac & cheese. I'll make raosted potatoes for me.

It's a BS cop-out. You TEACH your kids how to eat, they do NOT dictate how they eat. Especially since you're on this now before you have kids, they'll just grow up eating right. They wont know the difference. The interesting thing you are going to find, is that if you raise them eating well, most likely, when they get older and can make decisions, they will generally not choose junk. Like, my kids refuse to eat lunch at the school cafeteria; they complain that all they have is pizza and chocolate milk, and that they get tired when they eat that food. LOL. It's a little more work because I have to make their lunches everyday instead of just giving them money, but I'm happy that they make great food choices. Trust me, they still eat candy, and cookies, and ice cream and all the kid stuff. They aren't stoic about it. But, if you asked them if they wanted Mc Donalds, or rather stay at home and have fresh food, they will choose fresh every time. So, hit 'em with it early, and you are golden.

Where people have trouble, is when they spring it on them when they are used to junk food and eating lazy. It's very difficult at that point.
  • lolabluola
    lolabluola Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    My spidey-senses detect a typical excuse here. Don't worry about it.

yep

p.s. I work in an office where there is cake or something at least 3 of the 5 days a week ... that's probably a lot more often than the bday parties!
  • Chagama
    Chagama Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    I think she's missing the point of trying to generally be healthy in order to be able to enjoy things.

I have 4 kids, and I try to eat healthy as much as I can. I choose my own breakfast everyday, I bring my own lunch to work everyday. Yes, sometimes the kids have activities that involve pizza, Dairy Queen, etc. And I choose to participate in order to be part of their lives. But I limit the quantities I eat, and also they are rarely surprises, so maybe I'll do some extra exercise that day, or save up some calories in the days leading up. You can be generally healthy and still enjoy the fun times and parties. But it's all about choices and has nothing to do with having kids.