Really, you think it is the same.....seriously!!!!

Options

Replies

• andreanicole686
    andreanicole686 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    If I took diet pills I would feel like I was just cheating myself. I love knowing that I've earned my body and I have done it by eating healthy and working my butt off.
  • MomentumKris
    Options
    mgs68pony:

That's too bad. Hopefully you can take solace in the fact that 6 months from now you will still be losing weight, and feeling good. Unfortunately, it is likely that this persons wife will put most of her weight back on, if she is lucky, and will add on top of her starting weight if she is unlucky.

I worked in the supplement industry in Canada for years, and it truly is unfortunate how supplement companies have created the myth of weight loss as something as simple as a pill. It's too bad that the general public falls for it too...

Good for you sticking to your guns! It means you'll be showing off your guns when fad dieters and pill poppers are wondering why they put all their weight back on, and feel like crap.
  • hanahlai
    hanahlai Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    I have a "friend" who started dieting with the help of phentermine around the same time I started my lifestyle change. She immediately lost 11 lbs in one month while I was averaging a 1-1.5 lb per week loss during the same month. When we were visiting and catching up one day she commented on my low loss amount and said I needed to go to my doctor and get some phentermine because it would really help me. I just smiled and said "no thanks." Then she proceeded to call me obsessive because I log everything I eat every day and said I was crazy for getting up at 5:30 am to exercise.

She quit taking the phentermine about 6 weeks ago. She has since gained all the weight she lost back and then some. I still haven't lost as much as she had, but I'm losing at a steady rate, eating healthy and exercising every day. I feel better at 29 than I did at 18!

I know my husband said to tell her to be sure to save all those size 18 clothes because as soon as she quit taking them she would be bak in them. haha
    I think you sound like a rude person. Your initial post didn't give me a good impression and this one just takes it a little further.

^^This
  • TheNewo
    TheNewo Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Keep up your hard work, and hold your head up high.
    For one thing, your post didn't mention how much weight the man's wife had to lose -could be considerably more than yourself
    If diet pills really are a huge reason for her weight loss than when she stops taking them it's very likely she'll gain back quite a bit of weight.
    Stay the course, there is no short cut.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    I have a "friend" who started dieting with the help of phentermine around the same time I started my lifestyle change. She immediately lost 11 lbs in one month while I was averaging a 1-1.5 lb per week loss during the same month. When we were visiting and catching up one day she commented on my low loss amount and said I needed to go to my doctor and get some phentermine because it would really help me. I just smiled and said "no thanks." Then she proceeded to call me obsessive because I log everything I eat every day and said I was crazy for getting up at 5:30 am to exercise.

She quit taking the phentermine about 6 weeks ago. She has since gained all the weight she lost back and then some. I still haven't lost as much as she had, but I'm losing at a steady rate, eating healthy and exercising every day. I feel better at 29 than I did at 18!

There's the moral of the story right there!

In addition to losing weight in a sustainable manner you will be reaping incredible rewards by improving your fitness.

To all who recognize there's more to this than a number on a scale I salute you!
  • itgeekwoman
    itgeekwoman Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    The difference is when she stops taking the pills she won't be able to keep the weight off because she doesn't know how to eat healthy or live a healthy lifestyle.

You are retraining your brain and body to live that way. Your loss will be permanent if you continue down this path. Stay strong and just count his comments as fluff. Not worth much. He'll see.

I'm speaking from experience. I've done WW, NS, JC, Phen/Phen.. and now I'm doing it the right way. I'm straight diet and exercise and I can maintain my loss. Just smile and nod because you know better :)
  • Dimples1975
    Dimples1975 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Don't take it too personally. If sounds as though you have made some fantastic changes in your life and that should mean that you get healthy and stay healthy for the long term.

Remember that whatever actions someone else has chosen doesn't take away from your accomplishments. Be proud of the changes you've made and accept that different people choose different paths and often have different outcomes.

It's so true! Everyone takes different paths and you should be very proud of your own journey. I too have lost only 15 lbs in the past 5 months with a personal trainer. I just have to accept that my body is going to take it slow. Every ouce or pound I loose will ultimately add up. So keep up your hard work!
  • opus649
    opus649 Posts: 633 Member
    Options
    At the risk of being flamed by people.....I feel the same about people who have weight loss surgery like my aunt did. They didn't work for it...

What about weight loss surgery makes you think that people don't "work" for their weight loss? The 1400 calorie a day diet they're on for six months before hand? The classes, seminars, doctor's appointments and tests they have to go through just to be cleared for the surgery? The *drastic* lifestyle change required to not just get the weight off, but keep it off?

WLS is just like anything else when it comes to losing weight: it's a tool. It's a drastic tool, but a tool just the same. Until you've actually gone through something, don't presume to tell anyone else how hard they have or have not worked at something.
    I should have been more clear I guess, I'm talking about having liposuction...

Yes, I also thought you were talking about Weight Loss Surgery, not liposuction. On that I agree, liposuction is a cop out and they didn't work for their weight loss, but they have things that go wrong too.

I think of liposuction as more of cosmetic surgery than "weight loss." And I think it's a perfectly valid procedure... as we all know, you can't spot reduce. Some people might have just a little extra fat on their hips or tummy but they are otherwise 100% content with their rest of their body. Having it sculpted by a knife isn't the end of the world.... it's really no different than breast augmentation or any other cosmetic surgical procedure.

I don't think it's possible to go from obese to thin with just liposuction. Is it?
  • Oliviamarie05
    Oliviamarie05 Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    I don't understand what was hurtful. He brought up your weightloss, congratulated you, then talked about how his wife lost weight using pills.

At what point did he say you were doing it all wrong, should start taking pills and belittle your weightloss in any way? I'm confused.
  • kaetmarie
    kaetmarie Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    It's not a contest, is it? Your attitude and competitiveness are just not useful. Who cares? If the only way you can feel good about your weight loss is to maintain that your way is better than hers (even if it is), you have bigger issues than the fact that she lost more weight than you. You lost weight and someone noticed ... that should be enough.
  • ChristiH4000
    ChristiH4000 Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    People can do whatever they like to lose weight, but I'll stick to good ol diet and exercise, the only thing that's ever lasted for me. I find myself getting butthurt when I see people around my former size tell me they need gastric bypass or they need pills or they "can't" lose.
    Lazy bungholes will always look for the easy way out, but it shouldn't get to me. I really need to remember to just focus on myself, my goals, and my idea on how to do it the right way.
  • auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Options
    It's a process... I started on the diet pills back when I thought eating healthy meant ordering the happy meal instead of the regular meal. That lasted all of about two weeks. Things made me feel ill, heart racing, and dry mouth like crazy.

If you're lucky, you live, learn, lose, gain it back, then figure out the right way to do it. A lot of times, you can't "tell" people what they don't want to -- or are not ready to -- hear.

Congrats on being healthy and taking care of your body. :)
  • BruteSquad
    BruteSquad Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    I get to say it again! YAY!

Get into the best physical shape of your life.

The weight will come off.
    If you really focus on getting in shape, the scale will not mean a lot.

THE MIRROR WILL!
  • gypsybree
    gypsybree Posts: 218
    Options
    You go girl!!!!!
    His wife is the reason why I've never dieted in my life before!!!!

Some people are all about the wrong things!!
    Stick to your guns like fat does to our ribs!! Don't look at numbers and don't be hurt cause someone compared his wife to you when you're not even comparable!
  • LynC33
    LynC33 Posts: 196
    Options
    Ok, I have to vent! I have been working out and eating more healthy for about 11 weeks consistantly and since Jan off and on to April. I have lost 16 pounds and about 15 inches (I haven't checked measurements in the last two weeks) and down from a size 14 to a 10-8. My coworker was in my classroom during conference today and was asking me about how things were going...........

I told him that things were going well, but I was no longer focusing on the number on the scale but how my clothes fit. I was feeling proud of all my work and then.....

.....he kind of stammers around and informs me that his wife has lost 53 pounds and could now wear a size 10 down from an 18. I was kind of taken a back. I told him "wow that is great and wanted to know how she was doing it" . He told me "just watching her calories and doing a little walking" I said "wow, I am working my tail off and things still aren't working that well for me" Then he let it slip that she was taking diet pills. My response to this comment was......well I have decided to loose mine the old fashioned way........lots of hard work, plus I wanted to do this to be healthy and that taking those can not be good for you or you could just get them any where.

I mean does he really think her accomplishments are the same as mine? My theory is anyone can loose weight if your taking diet pills. I don't mean to step on anyones toes or make any enemies.

I just felt like he was putting me down because she had accomplished so much more and it hurt my feelings and........mad me very mad! I hope he decided to stay in his room tomorrow!

Why be mad at him? You asked how she did it. Didnt sound like he was putting you down at all, merely stating how his wife had done it. Its sad that he encourages the whole diet pill thing and not encourage a more healthy approach to losing weight. Though in life in general, some people have to work harder than others to lose weight, diet pills or not. Btw, not everyone can lose weight on diet pills.....I didnt.
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    To all who recognize there's more to this than a number on a scale I salute you!

CHEERS to that one!
  • LynC33
    Options
    Ok, I have to vent! I have been working out and eating more healthy for about 11 weeks consistantly and since Jan off and on to April. I have lost 16 pounds and about 15 inches (I haven't checked measurements in the last two weeks) and down from a size 14 to a 10-8. My coworker was in my classroom during conference today and was asking me about how things were going...........

I told him that things were going well, but I was no longer focusing on the number on the scale but how my clothes fit. I was feeling proud of all my work and then.....

.....he kind of stammers around and informs me that his wife has lost 53 pounds and could now wear a size 10 down from an 18. I was kind of taken a back. I told him "wow that is great and wanted to know how she was doing it" . He told me "just watching her calories and doing a little walking" I said "wow, I am working my tail off and things still aren't working that well for me" Then he let it slip that she was taking diet pills. My response to this comment was......well I have decided to loose mine the old fashioned way........lots of hard work, plus I wanted to do this to be healthy and that taking those can not be good for you or you could just get them any where.

I mean does he really think her accomplishments are the same as mine? My theory is anyone can loose weight if your taking diet pills. I don't mean to step on anyones toes or make any enemies.

I just felt like he was putting me down because she had accomplished so much more and it hurt my feelings and........mad me very mad! I hope he decided to stay in his room tomorrow!

Why be mad at him? You asked how she did it. Didnt sound like he was putting you down at all, merely stating how his wife had done it. Its sad that he encourages the whole diet pill thing and not encourage a more healthy approach to losing weight. Though in life in general, some people have to work harder than others to lose weight, diet pills or not. Btw, not everyone can lose weight on diet pills.....I didnt. All Im saying is you know how hard you worked and how proud you are of what you have achieved, why let his comments deflate you just because his wife took the easy(for her) option? It doesnt diminish what you have done.
  • LynC33
    Options
    It's not a contest, is it? Your attitude and competitiveness are just not useful. Who cares? If the only way you can feel good about your weight loss is to maintain that your way is better than hers (even if it is), you have bigger issues than the fact that she lost more weight than you. You lost weight and someone noticed ... that should be enough.

I agree 100%.

Generally speaking...

Im sick of people saying "but they havnt worked hard for it". So you can only be happy and proud if you "work hard" for it?? What if they have ailments, sickness or disease that stops them from exercising so the only way they can is to have surgery or make it a bit easier by using pills. Sheesh, you dont like to be criticized but are quick to criticize others that in your opinion "dont work hard enough!"
  • naku
    naku Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    what does any of that matter; how she loses weight or what he thinks about your weight loss?

really.
  • Carfoodel
    Carfoodel Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    My husband and I both want to lose weight and get healthy but for my husband, the task just seems to overwhelming at the moment without a lot of help. Diet pills are not for me, but I will admit before I started on this path I felt like I would never find the inner resolve I needed to do what needed done, so I considered getting the tablets to "kick-start" my weight loss - I then realised that I didn't want to take that path.

My husband decided that he did need the tablets to help him find his feet, and he is also eating more healthily and is almost at the stage where he is ready to start getting to grips with exercise. My husband struggles with being his size as much as I do, I am just more fortunate in that in taking the healthy eating/exercise route, it's boosted my self esteem and I have gained far more advantages out of it than other methods - but it doesn't mean that I am "better" than my husband - just that I am able to take a different route but he isn't in the same place I am at the moment - he is still wanting to be healthy and lose the weight which is all that matters.