RUNNERS/Joggers/Walkers what do you USE?!

Options

Replies

• Bluskyleilu
    Bluskyleilu Posts: 24
    Options
    www.runwalkjog.com(or net) you can map a walk, it will give you the distance, calories spent, time it will take and intensity of the walk(up hills and downhills). Hope that helps, it is fun to play with and discover places out your front door:)
  • akvreeland
    akvreeland Posts: 27
    Options
    Garmin 405CX...LOVE IT!!!

DItto - I got mine for Mother's Day and have used it almost every day since then. I got the one with the HRM.

I have the HR strap, but I often don't wear it because the strap is not very accurate :( Other than that I love it!
  • Meevz
    Meevz Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I use MapMyRun as well. Would love to get a GPS watch but they aren't really in my budget.
  • scorpio516
    scorpio516 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    Do you like your 405? That is the one that I just ordered-I read mixed reviews, however it seemed like the majority of people really liked it.

Most of the time, yes. The touch bezel works fine all the time for me.
    What annoys me is that the auto-pause doesn't work quick enough. I've got it set to autopause slower than 12:00/mile pace. Well, I'll come to a complete stop at a signal and it'll keep going to 4-8 seconds. Not REALLY a big deal, but it annoys me.
  • Enonoid
    Enonoid Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I use Runkeeper
  • laurensayz
    laurensayz Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I use Endomondo.
  • soontobesam
    soontobesam Posts: 714 Member
    Options
    I use Endomondo! I love it.

I've burned off 36 cheeseburgers so far and I've gone .007 around the world!! lol

My profile is here if anyone wants to add me (please do!) - http://www.endomondo.com/profile/4528969
  • HeartME511healthy
    HeartME511healthy Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    ...To track your runs/walks/jogs/skips..

I use the mapmyrun app on my phone...but it's not always completely reliable!

What do you use? How well does it work? Is it pricey?!

Thanks! :)

I use them also, I also use Run Keeper and I have Fitbit device and I use them all to log and I log the two that match.
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    runkeeper is less likely to drop signal than mapmyrun. (Endomondo is worst for that, in my experience). But the mapmyrun interface is much nicer, and the mapping tool is better.

All in all, though, I tend to use runkeeper.
  • JAllen32
    JAllen32 Posts: 991 Member
    Options
    Runkeeper, but it pisses me off sometimes because it will bounce around if you get into a wooded area or if its cloudy. So I started using sport tracker. So far, I really enjoy it. And I can plug in all sorts of workouts manually.
  • nuttyfamily
    nuttyfamily Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    I've been using Runkeeper on my phone for a few years and really like it. I've tried a few others but always end up going back to Runkeeper.
  • MrsKearns
    MrsKearns Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I use map my run but I dont have a smartphone so I map it out when I get home. One thing I dont like about this is when I go to track I cant type in the miles I did too. Just the time...and often I dont pay attention to the time.
  • runnercheryl
    runnercheryl Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    I use Endomondo! I love it.

I've burned off 36 cheeseburgers so far and I've gone .007 around the world!! lol

My profile is here if anyone wants to add me (please do!) - http://www.endomondo.com/profile/4528969

I'll do so now! You'll be my first active friend!
  • trud72
    trud72 Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    i used to use map my run but cant any more as i go off road and in through the feilds and woods lol :bigsmile: (sounds sooo wrong):laugh:
    so if in doubt use a pedomitor...
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    I used to use a timex watch, a car, and a spread sheet. Go running, time it. Later drive it to check the distance. Then do the math to get the paces. This was in the early 90s.

Up till a year ago, I used a timex watch, google maps, and a spreadsheet. Same as before, but map with google maps. Better.

A year to a month or so ago, I used a timex watch, google maps, and sportTracks. Even better.

Now I use a Garmin 405 and sportTracks. Garmin -> export to a TCX file -> import into ST. Slice the data anyway you want it. Want to see your pace for mile 4 of 7? Want to see how elevation gain effects pace? It's all there.

Love it! I've used these methods at one time or another. Got my first Garmin GPS watch (forget the model) about 6 years ago. It was so big, like something out of an old Batman movie. Now I have a 405, which, besides the HRM, doesn't really do anything more than the old one. But at least it's smaller.
  • KafkaMichael
    KafkaMichael Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I used to use Mapmyrun, which isn't bad, along with a couple others, but now I use Jog Log, which is the best I've used for a number of reasons. For starters, it works with Ant+, so if you have a compatible chest strap it'll track your heart-rate, which is great for me. It also has a bunch of pre-defined training regimens, like Couch to 5K. I'm currently doing the 10K to Half-Marathon regimen, which takes you from being about to run 6.2 miles to running 13.1, in eight weeks.

It keeps detailed logs, including time, distance, pace, speed, net calories burned, average heart rate, and max heart rate. It also does a graph that tracks elevation, pace, speed, heart rate, cadence, and power, over time, which can be interesting if not particularly useful to a non-athlete like me (a more athletic person might use it to figure out, for example, that hills really drive his heart-rate up more than they should, suggesting he should train more on hills). It also keeps a map, of course, including tracking splits and times (i.e., speed over each mile of the run, and where those markers hit along the route).

Another nice feature is that it can be set up to do a five minute warm-up and cool-down, but then not to count those in the data (so, I can have it track my warmup and cooldown walks without screwing up my pace data for the run in between).

Best of all, it's highly customizable, in terms of what it will report, when, and how. For example, you can choose whether it turns your music down when it reports something (e.g., telling you you've reached a mile), or whether it pauses it. When I'm listening to music, I like to have it keep playing quietly while I get reports, but when I'm listening to an audiobook, I want it to pause during the report, so I don't miss anything. You can set a target pace and it'll tell you how far in front or behind it you are. And you can tell it exactly how often to report things. For example, I could have it report my speed every minute, or my time remaining every ten minutes, or my heart-rate every three minutes, etc. And I can even customize whether it bothers to tell me units (if you just get the numbers, there's less interruption). It also links with the Runkeeper website, along with Daily Mile, so you can check out how you're doing online. And it links to Facebook and Twitter, if you want to keep friends updated.

Less meaningfully, but still sort of fun, it keeps track of your achievements -- like the first mile you run, the first 5k, 10k, etc., the first time you do a mile in 13 minutes, 12 minutes, 9 minutes, etc.,

I'm really thrilled with it. And, as I recall, it's only 99 cents. My only complaint is that it doesn't sync with Mapmyrun, so I can't use my old data or the routes I stored there.
  • sandraDallas
    Options
    Polar FT60 Women's Heart Rate Monitor Watch: it tracks lots of stuff but I focus on using it to make sure I get my heart rate up high enough and stay there long enough. I also use it to track my calories. It doesn't have GPS but I walk and run on a treadmill and use it's readout for distance.
  • dawlschic007
    dawlschic007 Posts: 636 Member
    Options
    I use Edomondo and like it so far. You can customize it to view your pace, distance, time, etc.
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    I use Endomondo. Very reliable, lots of statistics and totally free.

I just started using this app in it is great , and free.

I downloaded this, but it just times me, I don't know how to get the distance, pace, or anything else from it?
  • patranus
    patranus Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Digifit HRM setup.
    Best product on the market.