Easy for you eat healthy! You don't have kids!

Options
12345679»

Replies

• Ebwash89
    Ebwash89 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Now that is what you call an ignorant statement for real! They shouldnt even be feeding her kids junk in the first place and having it in the house. They shouldnt even have the food in the house to be temped by. I always followed and ate what my parents gave me I didnt really have a choice. In my house there is no Kool aid, sugars, pastries, crazy cereals, cooking grease, etc. to even reach for. Terrible! That statement is along the lines of when this woman told me "Your young. Young people have fast metabolisms so its easy for you". Well if it was easy and I had a fast metabolism dont you think I would have never been fat to begin with.
  • Justacoffeenut
    Justacoffeenut Posts: 3,808 Member
    Options
    I would just of said something like this is a life style change and who said life is easy.

But I am that way esp when I feel like someone is backing me in a corner. And don't worry about kids. Kids are wonderful when they come along. But they add a new level of challenges as well as joys. Enjoy your time you have now. And when they come along you will enjoy them as well.

I am a mom of two and it does make it interesting and hard at times for me. My family all has food issues of one form or another so cooking is interesting. But I just look at it as a challenge. I hope your friend realizes you were trying to help. And maybe something you said hit a nerve at the time and she felt backed in to a corner cause you reminded her of something she could do even if it required some effort. Give her some time I wouldn't bring it up again and let her do it. And try to take what she says with a grain of salt.

Wishing you continues success on your goals.
  • Jomalone2
    Jomalone2 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    You know, it occurs to me that a lot of people here have raised their children with healthy eating habits from a young age... But I imagine trying to convert a chicken-fingers-pizza-and-french-fries kid into one who likes fruit and vegetables would be a difficult task.

Well said. I'm not defending the friend by any means but it depends on how old your kids are as to how hard it is to "convert them". Spending sun up to sun down at a ball park and late nights after work going straight to the ball park is tough. You can't plan ahead for EVERYTHING. It is much easier said than done. I do pack frozen grapes, strawberries, sandwiches, bottled water etc. when I have time to do so but that isn't always the case.

My kids are now ages 18 and 21 and call me the Food Nazi because they've grown up eating junk food and only in the past 2 years have I tried to encourage better eating habits for all of us. We recently moved my mom in with us. I buy the groceries and she cooks. It sounds like a great arrangement (and it is) but being from the South everything is fried and soaked in butter. Trying to get a 70 year old to change her cooking habits isn't easy, especially when the hubby and kids really like the fattening food.

On that same line, my husband recently spent some time in the hospital and had several doctors tell him he HAD to lose to weight and really needed to eat right. Has he done it? NOPE. Because he doesn't want to. So living in a house full of people who do not want to eat healthy makes it VERY difficult to do so. (Not impossible, just very difficult).

Don't take what your friend said too personal. It is hard to teach old dogs (older kids) new tricks when it comes to eating habits when it isn't their desire but yours. Likewise, don't be too critical of your friend either. You both walk in different shoes.
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    Really? If she can't control herself at kids parties she's swimming in excuses. When I opened this I figured you were going to say that someone said they can't eat healthy b/c of kid food around the house in general. It's not that hard, eat before the party. Bring your own healthy food, whatever it takes!
  • Josie_lifting_cats
    Josie_lifting_cats Posts: 949 Member
    Options
    That's a load of bullhonkey.

Sometimes my kids get treats. That doesn't mean I have to, too.

I get them a happy meal on occasion, then run over to Subway or the protein shake bar for myself.

Cake? I let them have it (and eat it, too! Ha ha!) I portion control or skip it that night. I can fit nearly anything into my day in moderation.

My kids are not an excuse for me to eat crappy food.

ETA: My love of crappy food, however, is an excuse for me to budget my calories so I can still enjoy said crap food. (Wine and Fun Dip, for example. Yes, I'm just that awesome.)
  • Moxie42
    Moxie42 Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    Ah yes, birthday parties every day of the year. Knowing/having 365 kids must be tough :P . I wouldn't worry about it :)

Seriously. And of course adults NEVER have parties or social gatherings that include tempting food and drinks!

I can understand how having kids might make the weight loss journey difficult, whether it's due to a lack of time, money issues, or the struggle of converting kids to healthy eating...but that doesn't make it impossible and that doesn't mean that the rest of us have it "easy!" Everyone has their own obstacles but if we're serious about our goals, we find ways to overcome them.
  • jen_vick84
    jen_vick84 Posts: 4
    Options
    Well I have 2 kids....and my kids are very healthy and it non processed foods 98% of the time. we allow one night a week of junky food(pizza, cupcakes, etc) but the rest of the times its fresh fruits and veggies, all home cooked, mostly organic meals. At birthday parties we eat before and are allowed a junk food( cake or ice cream). My husband happens to be the one who is the unhealthiest(he travels a lot for work and is forced to do company meals(and he splurges).
    Some people just need an excuse for everything!!
  • TrishJimenez
    TrishJimenez Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    She should be setting an example for her kids. That's why I decided to get healthy...

Just my opinion.

This. I have 3 kids. And my kids dont cheer and jump up and down when I bring home the groceries and there are oreos and other snack foods. For the cheers and excitement I need to bring home asparagus, artichokes, mangoes, nectarines. You know the yummy expensive seasonal fruits and veggies as apposed to spinach and broccoli and beets and apples and bananas. They even go crazy over watermelon. But then I think most kids do. Who wouldnt. It is all about setting an example. When we want cookies and cakes we make them....from scratch. Not refrigerated dough either. That way we do something together and it is not an impulse kind of thing. Lately that is backfiring on me since my two girls are teenagers now and seem to be baking something almost every day. I figure they need the calories since they seem to always be hungry. But I sure dont ;)
  • HeartME511healthy
    HeartME511healthy Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    So today my friend was asking my advice on eating healthier. She said, "I've only had reduced fat this and no fat these and I'm still hungry! How did you make yourself LIKE healthy food!?" I said, "well, eventually you'll realize that it's worth it to spend your calories on healthy food, rather than processed. I didn't make myself like food-I tried a lot of things from searching online and through my grocery store. Eventually, processed and restaurant foods stopped tasting so good and I became full off of less calories and better for me foods. Now i CRAVE vegetables and fruits"

THEN SHE SAID,

"WELL ITS EASY FOR YOU. YOU DON'T HAVE KIDS. It's not realistic for me to eat like this, I have birthday parties to go to."

That hurt my feelings because, I want to eventually have kids...and, I feel like she was kinding throwing that in as a cop out!

BUT! I'm open to YOUR opinions-parents or not?!

I am not a parent, however I think that is a copout answer, and you don't have to eat restaurant food or fast anything even bad choice foods. I have friends who have children, so I would have tried to guide her into healthy living for her entire household opposed to copping out with that "You don't have kids" excuse. Which that is what it is, since when do kids have an option, well most of them do because we allow them to have a say. Anyways if she really wanted to know about healthy eating she would have heard your advice and considered it opposed to slamming you down. Don't be hurt you will have your time when it is time to have children, in the meanwhile stay healthy and make healthy choice and maybe she'll catch on. She probably asked because she like what she sees, progress and energy level and a happier you. And that is all there because you are making healthier choices.
  • LadyWingsFan
    Options
    I can understand as a single mom of three how hard it is to work all day and how easy it is to throw some processed stuff in the microwave or oven for us all. Please do not underestimate how hard it is to have children and work. I KNOW it's hard and mentally draining and sometimes when we're emotional eaters, we turn to food, especially during a hard divorce, challenging workplace, or ever-changing kid events/sports/drama/issues. Trust me, if I had to worry only about myself, yes it would be easier to eat better.

BUT...

That is still not an excuse. I have made a decision since day one that I wouldn't have candy, ice cream, pop in the house for my kids. Those are extreme special occasion treats for them. They understand what eating healthy is, and now that they're getting older, they are making good choices for themselves MOST of the time LOL!

Stand up for your kids' rights as a human to eat right. Be a PARENT and control what goes into your child's mouth by example and by the rules you set for them. Luckily I don't like cake, ice cream, etc.

Just my two cents...yes, having kids IS a challenge to eating right. Don't underestimate that.
  • HeartME511healthy
    HeartME511healthy Posts: 163 Member
    Options

I get them a happy meal on occasion, then run over to Subway or the protein shake bar for myself.

Cake? I let them have it (and eat it, too! Ha ha!) I portion control or skip it that night. I can fit nearly anything into my day in moderation.

ETA: My love of crappy food, however, is an excuse for me to budget my calories so I can still enjoy said crap food. (Wine and Fun Dip, for example. Yes, I'm just that awesome.)

Awesome response.... take ownership of our choices and what we want our children to have. I have tons of nieces and nephews... so I completely get it.
  • Tarale1
    Tarale1 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    What you were told is an excuse. I have an eight year old at home and when i decided to eat healthier i told her about it and tried as best as i could (in her terms) explain that it would be better for the both of us and i promised that if we could do this together that she could pick out the fruits and veggies that we would eat when we grocery shop and if she heard a good suggestion, we would both try new foods. She agreed and it became a game for her and most of all she enjoys the time we spend doing it together. Now she doesn't come with me to the grocery store much anymore, but as i am heading out, she says to me, mom, be sure to pick up (and she says what she wants) and usually it's healthy. I am trying to teach her that we can enjoy the yummy not so good foods, but in moderation, because after all she is a kid.
    Your kids learn what you want them to learn.
  • Josie_lifting_cats
    Josie_lifting_cats Posts: 949 Member
    Options

Awesome response.... take ownership of our choices and what we want our children to have. I have tons of nieces and nephews... so I completely get it.

Note - it does not mean that I'm not occasionally INSANELY jealous if I promise DQ for preschool graduation and have to sit there watching them eat it.

But life goes on. And I think to myself "Would I rather have that ice cream cone, or wine?" And wine pretty much always wins. :laugh:
  • michelleepotter
    michelleepotter Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    I have 7 kids. She's full of it.
  • rextcat
    rextcat Posts: 1,408 Member
    Options
    ok i have 2 kids my 1 year old will eat ANYTHING its kida freaky, my oldest....meal times are a battle unless its "her foods". and after awile you will make them what ever just to stop the screaming.... on the up side tho "her foods" are fruits, yougerts, raw veggies, shell fish, and of corse french fries, tater tots and cheeses burghers. so yeah im gonna side with the mom,you dont allways know what is going on at home
  • viki37
    viki37 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Yeah that sounds like an excuse to me as well. Dont let it get to you, just continue your hard work and dedication and when the time comes for you to have kids, you can start them on the right (healthy) track as well. Good luck
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    As a mother of 4, my kids ate what I put in front of them. :angry:
    Now moms let kids dictate what they are going to eat. :sad:
    Time to take the power back Moms.:flowerforyou:
  • scagneti
    scagneti Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    It sure is lucky that all us childfree people don't know anyone who has birthdays. There isn't a day goes by that I don't thank god that not a single person I know has a birthday ... or celebrates holidays .... or goes for drinks/apps after work .... or brings buckets of sweets into work ... or or or...
  • shaybuggie
    shaybuggie Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I have two kids, ages 4 & 6, and they love salads! She can make a lot of healthy choices by not eating so much of the dern birthday cake! She'd better stop using those kids as a skapegoat (sp?) and find some healthy ways to cut out certain things, like not so much rice and much more veggies; less CAKE and more fruit! Chaps my hind parts! :mad:
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    I skipped all the comments... but I have to say COP-OUT!

Seriously, it isn't that hard... My daughter would much rather me feed her fruits and vegetables all day long than anything else... she devours them... just because "kid" food is the highly processed crap doesn't mean one must buy it. Let alone eat it.