City planning to ban sale of oversized sweetened drinks

Options

Replies

• ab_shutterbug
    ab_shutterbug Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    I think it's awesome that NY is doing that! However, it doesn't affect me.

Now when Portland's Mayor decided to ban plastic shopping bags . . that was another story!
  • pmkelly409
    pmkelly409 Posts: 1,653 Member
    Options
    Jon Stewart ridiculing this right now... Gotta love Jon!
    GREAT RANT by the great Mr. Stewart!! You can buy M&M's in any store in NYC...so funny!!!! The huge sandwich in front of him was funny too...

p.s. I agree with Personal responsibilty Mr. Bloomberg!
  • DataBased
    DataBased Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    Government has a place in maintaining the well-being and general welfare of all of it's citizens at all times, and if that means some restrictions and/or requirements on behavior then so be it.

Oh no, the government was never meant to have *anything* to do with taking care of "well-being and general welfare" - they knew that role is to be filled by the family structure and, for those who worshipped, their spiritual community.

Our founding fathers created the Constitution to ensure that government was severely restricted in its powers, with its prime directive to defend citizens, the nation, and the Constitution so that citizens could pursue happiness (which, in the day, meant work at whatever you wanted to do in order to make a living, and keep the fruits of your labor). Government and the judiciary is meant to PROTECT our freedoms, not restrict them. It was never granted the power to redistribute the wealth or force reluctant citizens to buy something they don't want or give money to help the poor or tell them how to package their products. That is onerous governance, and it is against the will of any who understand and value the freedoms our forefathers fought to provide us - if we could manage to keep them.
    After all, we already live in that world and I do not see much of a difference over I can't own an artillery piece over I can't buy a 2,000 calorie beverage. No typical person has the need for either one and both can too easily cause damage to society as a whole. In short, the rights of one person do not trump the good of us all.

And so you would restrict others based on what you believe. That scares the <bleep> out of me.
  • gastankerdriver
    Options
    The government regulates tobacco use, alcohol use, seatbelt laws, helmet laws, etc. I don't have any problem with them limiting the size of a drink that is intentionally designed to cause health problems. The people who sell these drinks only care about how much money they can get. They don't care about the health of their customers. Given that attitude, let's regulate it.

they make large drinks to kill us? intentionally? really? hyperbole on line one, please.

Maybe I missed something, but is there some kind of debate about the negative effect of massive amounts of processed sugar on a person's health? I thought diabetes and high blood pressure were major health issues affecting this nation. Did I miss something? Maybe you could fill me in.
  • katy84o
    katy84o Posts: 744 Member
    Options
    No. Why a ban? It would just cost money to enforce, and its not going to make any difference at all. If a person wants to drink a bucket of soda at a time, they can just buy a few, or pick up a 2 liter. Put the money into public education to teach students and their parents why you shouldn't drink said bucket of soda instead.

This! The money should be spent on education.
  • gastankerdriver
    Options
    Wrongo BIG TIME. The government is required to help with the "general welfare" of its citizens. It's in the Constitution. Or did you NOT READ IT? I am getting sick of you people who totally hate the U.S. government, but are pro war and pro military and want the U.S. government to kill people, but not HELP people.
  • abberbabber
    abberbabber Posts: 972 Member
    Options
    Wrongo BIG TIME. The government is required to help with the "general welfare" of its citizens. It's in the Constitution. Or did you NOT READ IT? I am getting sick of you people who totally hate the U.S. government, but are pro war and pro military and want the U.S. government to kill people, but not HELP people.

Well, first of all, that applies to the Federal government. This is NYC. Does NYC have a "general welfare" clause in their city...whatever?

Second of all, the general welfare clause as it pertains to the Federal gov't pertains to them levying taxes to spend money on the duties already specified in the constitution. It has nothing to do with setting up legislation regarding the general welfare and it's not meant to cover an infinite number of "issues".

ETA: I adopt the James Madison interpretation on that specific clause. And yes, I believe that a lot of other legislation crosses this same line.
  • daffodilsoup
    daffodilsoup Posts: 1,972 Member
    Options
    This is nonsense. Once you're an adult, the government shouldn't have any bearing over what you want to put into your body - drugs, food, whatever. If you're over 18 and you want to inject 60 fluid ounces of Pepsi directly into your veins, that's your prerogative. Put a high tax on it, like cigarettes, and put that money to good use rather than trying to run the country like a daycare.
  • KBrenOH
    KBrenOH Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    I think I'm a libertarian at heart, because I will never think it's right to legally regulate things just because they're unhealthy. Especially if they're only unhealthy to the person consuming them. If people want to kill themselves slowly with sugar it's not my business. If they want to kill themselves fast with crack that's not my business, either.

Down with the nanny state.

This.

Absolutely this!
  • DataBased
    Options
    This is nonsense. Once you're an adult, the government shouldn't have any bearing over what you want to put into your body - drugs, food, whatever. If you're over 18 and you want to inject 60 fluid ounces of Pepsi directly into your veins, that's your prerogative. Put a high tax on it, like cigarettes, and put that money to good use rather than trying to run the country like a daycare.

This, exactly. The only thing I'd stipulate is "Put a high tax on it TO A VOTE OF THE PEOPLE and, if they vote yes, put the money to good use..."

@Gastankerdriver:

There is no debate about whether the drinks or the sugar or the tobacco or the ________________ (fill in the blank) are good or bad for you - the debate is whether you feel the government should tell you what you can and cannot have.

Yes, I've read the Constitution. Painting me with a broad brush to say I love war and want my government to kill people shows you aren't prepared for an intellectual debate. So say whatever you want - you've made your own argument irrelevant.
  • liftingheavy
    liftingheavy Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    I think I'm a libertarian at heart, because I will never think it's right to legally regulate things just because they're unhealthy. Especially if they're only unhealthy to the person consuming them. If people want to kill themselves slowly with sugar it's not my business. If they want to kill themselves fast with crack that's not my business, either.

I want to agree with you--the last place I need extra government intervention is in my refrigerator or the drive through line BUT who pays the health care costs for all of the people over-consuming fast food garbage? Who takes care of their children because they are too sick to do it themselves? I say, if someone is hellbent on killing themselves they should be issued a gun and allowed to get it over with quickly and cheaply. No long, drawn out tax-payer funded dying.

Ditto.
  • Katie0174
    Katie0174 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    When your average citizen walks into your average fast food restaurant and sees "Upgrade your drink for only 25 cents!", most of them are going to do it. Yes, it is their personal choice and they have every right to do whatever they want, but I really do not see any problem with them upgrading their drink to size that is maybe not as big as a Big Gulp or super-sized drink. I really don't think someone's life is going to be ruined if they suddenly can't get a HUMONGOUS drink anymore - on the other hand, their life may be ruined just a little bit more by getting that drink. People didn't get really fat because they're making wonderful personal choices, they got fat because they're eating and drinking crap in huge portions. Now someone needs to regulate those just a little bit because obviously people can't do it for themselves.

Something like regulating soda sizes could very well be in their best interest - whether it is municipal, federal or whatever government size. Obesity rates mean that more and more people are getting sick, putting a strain on healthcare, disability and employment (recession aside), etc. This isn't just a small portion of society either, this is a monumentally HUGE strain on resources. Not only is it in their interest, it should be in yours as well - you will have to pay more and more taxes if they are needing to shovel more money into healthcare. A lot of you are saying that this won't cure anything and people will still make bad choices, that it's a band-aid...you're right that it won't solve everything but it is definitely a step in the right direction.

Also, a lot of you are saying that the money should be put into education - well, the education has been there for a while now and no matter how much of a presence it has, fast food restaurants still have a MUCH bigger presence. It will take a combination of education AND regulations to do any good at all.

I guess I just don't understand everyone talking about a "Nanny State", I don't view it as a control over your life, I view it as a guide to helping people get healthier. The government is NOT going to start controlling all sorts of things if YOU don't let them - you're bigger than they are and they know it, but is a large soda really going to send everyone into a tizzy about rights and freedoms? Really?
  • jsapninz
    jsapninz Posts: 909 Member
    Options

^ DOWN WITH THE NANNY STATE.
    If you want to be a fatty, do it. If you don't, DON'T. None of my business.
  • ChaseAlder
    ChaseAlder Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    I'm indifferent. If they banned it here, oh well. I'll drink water. I'm not going to get upset about it.
  • Ironman2be
    Ironman2be Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Just another way for the government to try to legislate our lives......how about dealing with the more important issues?
  • Cold_Steel
    Cold_Steel Posts: 897 Member
    Options

You - President 2012 LETS DO THIS !
  • abberbabber
    abberbabber Posts: 972 Member
    Options
    When your average citizen walks into your average fast food restaurant and sees "Upgrade your drink for only 25 cents!", most of them are going to do it. Yes, it is their personal choice and they have every right to do whatever they want, but I really do not see any problem with them upgrading their drink to size that is maybe not as big as a Big Gulp or super-sized drink. I really don't think someone's life is going to be ruined if they suddenly can't get a HUMONGOUS drink anymore - on the other hand, their life may be ruined just a little bit more by getting that drink. People didn't get really fat because they're making wonderful personal choices, they got fat because they're eating and drinking crap in huge portions. Now someone needs to regulate those just a little bit because obviously people can't do it for themselves.

Something like regulating soda sizes could very well be in their best interest - whether it is municipal, federal or whatever government size. Obesity rates mean that more and more people are getting sick, putting a strain on healthcare, disability and employment (recession aside), etc. This isn't just a small portion of society either, this is a monumentally HUGE strain on resources. Not only is it in their interest, it should be in yours as well - you will have to pay more and more taxes if they are needing to shovel more money into healthcare. A lot of you are saying that this won't cure anything and people will still make bad choices, that it's a band-aid...you're right that it won't solve everything but it is definitely a step in the right direction.

Also, a lot of you are saying that the money should be put into education - well, the education has been there for a while now and no matter how much of a presence it has, fast food restaurants still have a MUCH bigger presence. It will take a combination of education AND regulations to do any good at all.

I guess I just don't understand everyone talking about a "Nanny State", I don't view it as a control over your life, I view it as a guide to helping people get healthier. The government is NOT going to start controlling all sorts of things if YOU don't let them - you're bigger than they are and they know it, but is a large soda really going to send everyone into a tizzy about rights and freedoms? Really?

Yes. Because it's those little steps that lead up to the larger ones. It's not the size of the legislation...it's the idea behind it.

And the education really isn't there, unless they've changed it a LOT in 10 years. I remember learning about the basic food groups and how to bake cupcakes in Home Ec...but that's about it. Nothing about calories in/out or anything like what I've learned over the past year or so.
  • ishallnotwant
    ishallnotwant Posts: 1,210 Member
    Options
    New York clearly knows that a 52 ounce drink and a pound of fries in one bag leads to overeating and they want better for their residents. Whats wrong with that?

What is this, communist Russia? Now our government gets to decide "what they want for us" and forbid us to eat/drink/buy/use/ etc the things they don't approve of? What next, will they just be handing out the foods they deem healthy so we all have the same approved foods?
  • DataBased
    Options
    ...I want to agree with you--the last place I need extra government intervention is in my refrigerator or the drive through line BUT who pays the health care costs for all of the people over-consuming fast food garbage?....
    What a great argument against government-controlled health care. I agree with you - when the government uses taxpayer money to run healthcare, we all of a sudden have to start making choices for others because we are the ones who will get stuck with the bill. It happens too much already. And I think that's the path that Gastankerdriver said we are already on. He's comfortable with it, but a number of us are not.

I'm sorry I can't remember the person's name who said this is such a small thing, it isn't like we're really taking anything away from anybody - just regulating the size. Think about it though. It does take away a great deal, even though it seems small. Because it's a slippery slope, and once you get the ball rolling down that hill, it picks up speed. Then you get people who are so comfortable with it because we already live in that world, and it doesn't seem too bad. But it is bad. I'd rather live in a nation where I am free to make my own choices, and my own mistakes, and grow and mature by myself by learning my own lessons, than to have some politician come around and tell me how big a cup I can have, and making those choices for me.

That's all.
  • ishallnotwant
    ishallnotwant Posts: 1,210 Member
    Options
    Harry S Truman: “Those who want the government to regulate matters of the mind and spirit are like men who are so afraid of being murdered that they commit suicide.”