Food you thought you hated, but now Love

Options

Replies

• TGKvr
    TGKvr Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Yeah I have to say the last time I tried oysters they were slightly less repulsive than they've been in the past. Maybe in another year I'll be able to hold my own in the annual oyster shucking madness.
  • iLoveMyPitbull1225
    iLoveMyPitbull1225 Posts: 1,691 Member
    Options
    my #1 is definitely hummus....I knocked it until tried it! I EFFING LOVE hummus. Im gonna try making my own...One of my co-workers makes it using lemon infused olive oil and it is TO DIE FOR!! I mean really if you like lemon as much as I do, scent and flavor, you would love it. When she emails me back I'm posting.
  • Stephie_lee
    Options
    I could not stand onions or tomatoes. As strange of a kid I was, I remember scraping the onions off of the liver and chowing down on that, I looooooved liver!
    I only got over my hate for tomatoes when I went to Europe. The food I had there was so fresh and delicious that it had a completely different taste. There wasn't any tasteless goo on the inside like the ones in the supermarket here.
    I can stand onions now, but only if I can't see them, I like the taste but not the texture.
  • Lissakaye81
    Lissakaye81 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I have quite a few of these: Used to eat beef really well done, now I have to have med rare, avocados, mayo, onions, peppers, sour cream, greek yogurt, sushi, kombucha. I guess I gave up things I ate as a kid in return like tater tots, fish sticks, chicken nuggets, cant stand that stuff now.
  • tasmin21
    tasmin21 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Asparagus! Loving it right now grilled with garlic/salt/pepper.

Of course, I have learned as I've gotten older that a lot of my "hated" foods were actually because my mother couldn't cook. It's amazing how good some things are when they're cooked properly.
  • OshCat
    OshCat Posts: 2
    Options
    Many many things, most basic items being
    -cottage cheese
    -coleslaw
    -raw onion (I was always ok with cooked ones)
    -avocado
    -lima beans
    -kale

I have re-tried and still do not like
    -pickles (but love cucumbers and am fine with vinagrette salad dressings... don't know what it is)
    -brussels sprouts
    -asparagus
    -green beans
  • sashanicole88
    sashanicole88 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    tomatoes, zucchini, cucumbers, tuna, spinach, hummus... I <3 them all now :)
  • Dannib55
    Dannib55 Posts: 50
    Options
    feta cheese
  • Misslisat
    Misslisat Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    Artichoke hearts and avocado. Both tried for the first time just this year - YUM!
  • OMG_Twinkies
    OMG_Twinkies Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    Avacados. Never had the urge to eat them because of their texture and color (green and mushy???) but I had my first one when I was 25 and it was love at first taste :heart:
  • LisaBeateith2012
    LisaBeateith2012 Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    Quorn foods
  • tistal
    tistal Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    As a kid I hated any kind of potato or macaroni salads now I love them. I did not like tomatoes, cabbage or onions.
  • jenalderman
    jenalderman Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    I honestly think that once we cleanse our pallets of all the sodium and sugars, food just tastes different. My list is HUGE but here's a few:

Avacodoes
    Artichoke
    Black Beans
    White Beans
    Onions
    Fresh tomatoes
    Basically any and all veggies..lol
    vinegrettes
    granola
    coconut
    salmon
    fresh pineapple
    Sushi
  • jmelyan23
    jmelyan23 Posts: 1,664 Member
    Options
    Asparagus. I freakin' love that stuff now!
  • kaji13
    kaji13 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I always make sure to try foods I think I hate at least once a year, just to make sure I still hate them. This year I have found THREE that I thought I hated and now either love or can tolerate

Avocados - always thought they were gross mushy semi-tasteless...now I put them on my sandwiches and in my salads!! And I love guacamole now :)

Onions - 25 years of adamantly hating this vegetable, pulling them off my pizza and out of my salads, and this winter I decided again to try a piece of one. It was a purple onion, and I absolutely loved it, raw and plain! I still don't care for other onions, though I can tolerate them, but I love purple onions!

Mushrooms - Used to hate hate hate mushrooms, but I find now I can tolerate them enough to not pull them out of my food. Still don't care for them (it's a texture thing), but it's better than before!
  • amanda3588
    amanda3588 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    Fish. I think I was tricked into dislike by those overprocessed, overcooked fish sticks we were served as kids. I'm learning all kinds of new ways to cook it and enjoy it.

I used to hate fish too. Now I love grilled fish with pepper and lemon.
  • Najay
    Najay Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    Stuffed Mushrooms

I Love them now and navy, pinto or white beans. Still can't stand brussel sprouts.
  • Behavior_Modification
    Behavior_Modification Posts: 24,482 Member
    Options
    Greek Yogurt

I can't eat the regular stuff now.
  • jcstanton
    jcstanton Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    Sweet potatoes. Couldn't stand 'em when I was a kid. Tried them again about a year ago and I love them!

Still can't eat:
    Grits
    Watermelon
    Cantelope
    Honey Dew Melon
    Papaya
    Lobster
    Crab
    Oysters
    Clams
    Shrimp
    Beets (wish I could...they are soooo good for you)
    Radishes
  • MrsAlcalde
    MrsAlcalde Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    Beets, but I love them on my salads now