Is 125 the "magic" number?

Options

Replies

• lovelee79
    lovelee79 Posts: 362
    Options
    I got a Playboy subscription for my husband, (But I'd always look too ;) ) and the centerfold of each magazine lists their stats. Measurements and weight, and those ladies are always around 115 lbs to 125 lbs.
    For example the issue I have in my hand right now is March 2012, and the centerfold lists her stats as:
    5'11 125 lbs
    bust:34C, waist:24, Hips:35

So I think that maybe men growing up and looking at these magazines would always see these hot women, at around 125lbs, and they think that is the "ideal" weight for a woman to be considered hot. (?)

I'm 5'7" and my goal is between 150-140. I would look so sickly and underweight if I was 125. no thanks!
  • AdAstra47
    AdAstra47 Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    The idea of a limit or an "ideal" weight is ridiculous.

First of all, people come in all different heights. A 5'10" woman like me would be anorexic at 125 lb.

Secondly, people have different bone structures & builds. A person with delicate bones will weigh less than a person with a stronger, more solid build, even if they're both perfectly healthy. And with women, the breast measurement is a big factor too. A woman with a DDD cup will always weigh more than a woman of the same height who's an A cup.

Third, people have different amounts of muscle. I was very athletic as a teen, had a lot of muscle, was very fit & had a great hourglass figure. But because I weighed 160 lb, and had a large bosom, I thought I was fat. I didn't know enough to know that it was my height, build and musculature tipping the scale, not fat.

I would highly recommend the site http://www.mybodygallery.com/ to see real pictures of real women, in the wide variety of heights and weights out there.

So, short answer to your question: the "magic" number will be different for every person. Get to a point where you feel happy & healthy, and that's YOUR magic number.
  • sl1ngsh0t
    sl1ngsh0t Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    I am 5'6 weighed 125...in high school. I'd love to get there again, but am ok if I never do.
  • trm981
    trm981 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Statistics?

Average female height is 5'4". 125 pounds at 5'4" is a BMI of 21, squarely in the middle of the "normal" category.

So, of course you'll see lots of women targeting 125, because lots of women are about that height.

I was going to say this but I see someone already did! =)

I'm 5'4 and my goal is 125. Its right in the middle of the BMI range and I like the thought of being equal distances from underweight and overweight, I guess. Plus I like the way I look at 125. Also, I don't know if its me individually or something that comes with being this height but I have to be at the "5" of a weight range to fit perfectly in clothing sizes. At 125 I'm an exact size 5, 135 a 7, and so on. 128 they're getting tight, 122 they're getting loose. So for me the number is also logistics of finding clothes that fit.
  • juliebeannn
    juliebeannn Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    i'm only 5'3" and 125 is also my "goal" weight. i'm actually aiming towards getting into the 120s and seeing how i feel. i'm more concerned about lean muscle and losing fat so if i look and feel right in the 130s, so be it. i'm currently at 138 with plenty of jiggle left to shed off.
  • kalynn06
    kalynn06 Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    Mine is set at 125. In reality, it's may be lower than that when I get to the bf% that I want. It just seemed a reasonable place to start based on my body fat about 10 lbs ago. In reality, I don't really care what the scale says. I know that right now at around 130, my bf is too high, and I don't look like I want. I'm lifting weights to try to change body composition. As long as I look how I want, I don't care if I weigh 120, 125 or 135.
  • getfitdiva
    getfitdiva Posts: 1,148 Member
    Options
    NOPE "124" is my magic number. It's just seems nice and even. I WANT IT BAD!!! I'm short too.
  • ginique
    ginique Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I don't have a number goal. When I'm satisfied, I'll know.

This exactly. The only reason I bother with numbers at all is because I have to in order to track my BMR/TDEE. If not for that, I wouldn't even know how much I weigh because I don't care to get hung up on the scale. It's all about losing inches (which I suppose is another number, haha)!
  • sweetpea129
    sweetpea129 Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    Its just an average number i'm sure. They would be happy at 127 or 123 but it sounds kinda odd?

For me, i would never want to be 125. Thats much too small for me. I'm 5'6 but curvy. 160 would be great for me!
  • MJesuele126
    MJesuele126 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    My goal weight is 125.. everybody tells me Im crazy and that 135-140 is a good goal weight for me. Im barely 5'1 but I have a bigger body frame and big boobs(ughh love/hate relationship with those babies) anyway .. Im still going to keep my goal at 125 but most of all.. I just want to feel healthier and feel good when I look in the mirror.. whether thats at 125 140 or still at the 165 I cant seem to shake these past few weeks!
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I can remember a time when I thought I was fat at 125. But I have no desire to put in the work to get back down there again, even if I could.
  • scagneti
    scagneti Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    I would have to be very ill to be 125....that would be 38 pounds heavier than I am now (I'm 5' 10").

You weight 87 pounds at 5'10? I hate to comment on people's weight, but that seems extremely low.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    people like numbers divisible by 5. feels solid.

my goal is 161. that cool? hehehehe
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    I would have to be very ill to be 125....that would be 38 pounds heavier than I am now (I'm 5' 10").

You weight 87 pounds at 5'10? I hate to comment on people's weight, but that seems extremely low.

holy crap - im 5'10 and I weigh 3 pounds less than DOUBLE your weight.
  • juliesummers
    juliesummers Posts: 738 Member
    Options

holy crap - im 5'10 and I weigh 3 pounds less than DOUBLE your weight.

I assume she meant to write that she's 38lbs heavier than 125 right now.
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'7 and am 2lbs away from my goal of 130. I could go to 125 and still not look like "i need a sandwich (hate that stupid phrase btw). Depending on the different stores, I usually wear size 7 jeans. But I also just bought a pair of jeans from Express in a size 4. So it's all relative.

But the number isn't really a big deal now that I'm closer to it. When I'm satisfied with my body is when I'll be happy. Some people just set a generic goal and as they work towards it, they re-evaluate.
  • HMVOL7409
    HMVOL7409 Posts: 1,588 Member
    Options
    For myself; at 5'2 and that's giving me the extra 1/2 inch I don't really have, I was uncomfortable at 125. I'd be fine it was muscle but then it wasn't. So no; 5lbs less at 125 was not my number.
  • CynthiaCollin
    CynthiaCollin Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    Statistics?

Average female height is 5'4". 125 pounds at 5'4" is a BMI of 21, squarely in the middle of the "normal" category.

So, of course you'll see lots of women targeting 125, because lots of women are about that height.

That`s why I set my goal to 125lbs.... but I decided I am happy at 128lbs....they are just goals.... but when you are short 5'0 - 5'4 range, it is normal that are #'s for weight are lower than a woman who is taller .
  • Lula16
    Lula16 Posts: 628 Member
    Options
    125 is just a rounded off number. I would be happy at 127 lbs :smile:
  • secretgirl4611
    secretgirl4611 Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    Well im a shortie and becuz I use to weight 118 in high school I am now 26yrs old and weight 137 and yes im tryin to get to 120-125
    but NO 125 is not the magical # for me, its just cuz I know whats healthy for my body.. I dont look twig thin at 120-125 I look average I have an athletic type build and not so many curves so yea..