Women Of 5'9/5'10 - What's Your Goal/Ideal Weight?

Replies

• ncahigh
    ncahigh Posts: 10 Member
    My sister is 6' and weighs 140-145 and I think that is too skinny. Of course she thinks she is fat at a size 8 and wants to go back to a size 6.
  • Discoveri
    Discoveri Posts: 435 Member
    At 5'10" you're pretty tall for a woman. There are a number of sites with frame size calculators....find one that has instructions for elbow frame size calculator. Use this to determine small, medium, or large frame. Too often, people will assume a frame size, based on their weight, which is incorrect. Once you find your frame size, match that to weight range. At first glance, 125lbs seems a bit light for someone 5'10", however, not knowing your body fat percentage, it is hard to gauge, and with a medium frame 145 would appear to be a better range....again, this depends on each person and how they want to look.

example....my BMI of 26 puts me at overweight, however, my body fat % of 13.5% shows that I am lean, and my weight is from muscle....not from fat.

I hadn't heard of the elbow thing before. Thanks!!
  • graelwyn
    graelwyn Posts: 1,340 Member
    How does one get their body fat measured? I doubt I could afford a bodpod thing or whatever that is. Only ever used the military online bodyfat test and that gave me around 16.4%, but those online calculators are never particularly reliable.
  • ncahigh
    ncahigh Posts: 10 Member
    At 5'10" you're pretty tall for a woman. There are a number of sites with frame size calculators....find one that has instructions for elbow frame size calculator. Use this to determine small, medium, or large frame. Too often, people will assume a frame size, based on their weight, which is incorrect. Once you find your frame size, match that to weight range. At first glance, 125lbs seems a bit light for someone 5'10", however, not knowing your body fat percentage, it is hard to gauge, and with a medium frame 145 would appear to be a better range....again, this depends on each person and how they want to look.

example....my BMI of 26 puts me at overweight, however, my body fat % of 13.5% shows that I am lean, and my weight is from muscle....not from fat.

Tried one of the elbow frame size guides, and it couldn't give me a result as my wrist says thin frame, while my elbow says broad frame.

My wrist is 6 inches around and my elbow is 3 inches diameter.

Unfortunately, the wrist and elbow methods do not agree with each other. The wrist method says that you have a thin body frame while the elbow method says that you have a broad body frame.

Are you measuring the elbow right? It is the breadth not diameter. Hold your arm straight out parallel to the ground with palm facing up. Bend at elbow 90degrees. Take opposite hand and put your index finger and thumb around the bones a the base of your elbow (like a caliper if you have no caliper) and measure the distance between your thumb and finger.
  • I have a loooong way to go but my goal is 155-160 and I'm 5'9.
  • graelwyn
    graelwyn Posts: 1,340 Member

Tried one of the elbow frame size guides, and it couldn't give me a result as my wrist says thin frame, while my elbow says broad frame.

My wrist is 6 inches around and my elbow is 3 inches diameter.

Unfortunately, the wrist and elbow methods do not agree with each other. The wrist method says that you have a thin body frame while the elbow method says that you have a broad body frame.

Are you measuring the elbow right? It is the breadth not diameter. Hold your arm straight out parallel to the ground with palm facing up. Bend at elbow 90degrees. Take opposite hand and put your index finger and thumb around the bones a the base of your elbow (like a caliper if you have no caliper) and measure the distance between your thumb and finger.

Yup, that is how I measured it, there was a diagram on the site showing how to do it. My elbow breadth is just over 3 inches from bone to bone.
  • susannamarie
    susannamarie Posts: 2,148 Member
    How does one get their body fat measured? I doubt I could afford a bodpod thing or whatever that is. Only ever used the military online bodyfat test and that gave me around 16.4%, but those online calculators are never particularly reliable.

You might be able to find a gym that'll do it. My university has a phys ed lab that'll do it and the cost isn't that much. The underwater weighing (they don't do bod pod) is a bit more expensive than I'm willing to pay but calipers or the electronic thingie are $10.
  • antijen
    antijen Posts: 112 Member
    5'10" and 140 lbs (which happens to be my current weight). I set my goal for 130, but I think that might be too low.
  • Dayna154
    Dayna154 Posts: 910 Member
    I'm 5'9" and in my 20's and early 30's was 120 that was way too thin for my frame. I'd like to get down to 170 now.,.

my elbow breadth is 4 inches that is large correct?
  • allisoncook87
    allisoncook87 Posts: 160 Member
    I'm 5'8" and I want to be 155 I'm at 170 right now and the smallest I've been is 160
  • sblair77
    sblair77 Posts: 355 Member
    I am 5'9" and I weigh 127. I am a small frame and very athletic. It's just where my body stays when I am being active. Last year when I got married was the first time I even gained weight and I went up to 142.
  • I am 5'10 and weigh 180lbs. I want to weigh 160 or below. My lowest weight was 145 as a teenager.
  • mrowrmeowmrowr
    mrowrmeowmrowr Posts: 288 Member
    The lowest I've been was 145lbs at 5'9", I was regularly lifting weights too.

I was a size 10 and very happy. I have a pretty wide frame and it worked for me.
  • Excuse me I meant 189 lbs not 180.
  • siobhano_
    siobhano_ Posts: 101
    I'm a very small frame and at 5'9", 143lbs was my highest ever weight. My bodyfat was tested at 27.7% and and I was unfit and out of shape, but still a UK8/US2.

I'm now maintaining at 123lbs and i'm only about a size smaller, but my body composition has completely changed, and I am fit and healthy
  • ckish
    ckish Posts: 341 Member
    I am 5'9" the lowest I've ever been is 118 when I was sick. Due to a serious back injury I was in less pain if I was underweight. Generally I was around 125 with my doctor's blessing. I was not anorexic or anything. I still ate full healthy meals and snacks. I just limited cake and ice cream to one small serving on the weekend. Another debilitating injury in my 40's caused me to be less active and gain weight. Since I am healed I think I might like to get to be 130 but I plan on re-evaluating my goal when I get to 145 and see how I feel. My 18 year old daughter is 5' 10.5" and in great shape. So I am very careful of not sending a bad message to her. I am happy to be a healthy branch instead of a twig or a tree trunk :D
  • jjblogs
    jjblogs Posts: 327 Member
    Just over 5'9" and would like to get down to 150...currently 161.
  • ladybg81
    ladybg81 Posts: 1,553 Member
    I'm 5'10 and 130. I got down to 123 but that didn't last very long. I am currently lifting weights using NROL4W to build the muscle tone I want.
  • jackieatx
    jackieatx Posts: 578 Member
    I guess I feel kind of odd then, because I'm just about 5'9 and my sw was 165, cw 160, gw 149. But I've always looked good around 155-150, I can't imagine being much smaller then that. I just don't think I'd look good.
  • SilkyHotspur
    SilkyHotspur Posts: 233 Member
    Accufitness makes both manual calipers, and bio-electrical impedance analysis automatic method. One is around $10 US, the other $25.... Suprisingly, the manual method is very accurate using the one position test, and can be more accurate using the three position.

http://www.amazon.com/Accufitness-Accu-Measure-Fitness-Personal-caliper/dp/B000Z91U50/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1338593011&sr=8-1

Having read your profile, I have a better idea of what it is you are struggling with, and would say that you need more muscle mass. Note that I did not say weight. At your age, having battled this for years, it must be hard to actually look at the scale and eat....so instead of looking at the scale, don't try a new approach. Simply use the body fat % method. Since January, my weight has fluctuated between 175, and 188....it would drive me insane worrying about it. The only thing I worried about was dropping my body fat % from 16.8 down to below 14. As the rate of change is a lot slower than weight, it is much easier for anyone that is really concerned with what the scale says. If are 125 now, you are probably too lean...ie, not enough body fat (unless your a marathon runner). Use the body fat % method and look for 22% as your target goal to maintain. If you reach that, you should have gained a bit more total weight...more muscle to go with it, and fell a bit more sane knowing that the percentages change a lot slower than lbs...