Cottage Cheese Anyone?

Options

Replies

• Drastiic
    Drastiic Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    I eat it plain as a before-bed snack. I use it on my salad as a dressing, because I don't use salad dressing.
  • Silverwish
    Silverwish Posts: 20
    Options
    I don't mind low fat cottage cheese , its nice as part of a big salad or on a jacket potato
  • whodatlixxie
    Options
    I learned to eat it on a baked potato - to replace the butter, sour cream, cheese... - now I love it in lots of ways - plain, with fruit, with crackers. Try it out. If you don't like it, don't eat it, there are other options!
  • AllyBooMommyof2
    Options
    I love cottage cheese I eat it with sea salt pita chips or on top of fresh fruit. My favorite kind of cottage cheese is Kalona super natural organic (I can only get it from one store called the fresh market and it's 40 minutes from my house lol) But, I figure they probably have it at other health food stores.
  • Mainey13
    Mainey13 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I hate cottage cheese but I use it in cauliflower. I mash it up like mashed potatoes - without the starch and butter!
  • annekevee
    annekevee Posts: 14
    Options
    I like to cut up tomatoes and mix it in with a dash of olive oil. the oil gives it a nice taste.

Yes, that. Or without the oil, but add some black pepper (fresh) leave it for about ten minutes and then on toast. Best low-fat salad alternative ever. Best is with cherry tomatoes.

Never looked at the sodium, though, will have a look later.
  • HMVOL7409
    HMVOL7409 Posts: 1,588 Member
    Options
    I absolutely love it and eat it plain, 1/2 c, as a part of my breakfast or a snack almost everyday. Not all cottage cheese is the same and I've found a store brand one that's only 100 mg of sodium per serving. Yes some do have almost 500 mg but not all, you have to shop around.
  • awisegirl84
    awisegirl84 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I like mine with a ton of black pepper or with a couple tablespoons of salsa and of course pineapple...not all of those together though, yuck!

I might have to try the sliced tomatoes (I put tomatoes on my bagel and cc, I feel like the acid cuts some of the fatty taste of the cheese)
  • epic10793
    epic10793 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I LOVE Cottage cheese, plain, mixed with fruit, or mixed with yogurt. However my friend thinks the way I eat it is disgusting, she eats it on crackers with pepper and hot sauce.
  • ErnestinesMom
    Options
    Kalynx, I remember that salad...you just took me back...45 years! Thanks for the trip down memory lane. :)

The one on a bed of lettuce with pineapple and cherry...very sweet. (forgot to add your quote...ooopsie)
  • christa96
    christa96 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I'm very particular about the brand of cottage cheese I like. But when I do eat it I love it on a slice of toast and some fruit on the side! I grew up with that! It was almost a staple in our house for breakfast!
  • ErnestinesMom
    Options
    I'm very particular about the brand of cottage cheese I like. But when I do eat it I love it on a slice of toast and some fruit on the side! I grew up with that! It was almost a staple in our house for breakfast!

I am particular too...it has to be low fa 2%t small curd Knudsen...pink container. Have tried other brands...and ended up tossing them.
  • shamr0ck
    shamr0ck Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    I love it with fruit, especially pineapple.
  • ErnestinesMom
    Options
    Special sweet treat at night: on a no salt brown rice, rice cake, sprinkling of cinnamon and splenda...pretty tasty.
  • Cescapop
    Cescapop Posts: 4
    Options
    I like chopping up sweet red peppers into small pieces and mixing it into cottage cheese, and having it with a baked potato and salad :)
  • momma3sweetgirls
    momma3sweetgirls Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    I just add grape tomatoes and dig in!
  • stormfly
    stormfly Posts: 6
    Options
    Try adding some chives for savory, or sweet chilli sauce if yr diet allows but try it natural first everyone's taste is different I like it but I will sometimes spice it up just for the excitement
  • Jesea
    Jesea Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    For breakfast I like it with a chopped apple and a sprinkle of cinnamon, or on an English muffin with a drizzle of honey. As a side or on a salad, I like to add a sprinkle of dry ranch seasoning. I also eat it plain!
  • simplysassi
    simplysassi Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I can only eat Kroger brand small curd (lowfat). I have bought many many different brands and they always get pitched in the trash because they are gross. I've stopped ordering it at restaurants too for the same reason. I don't know what Kroger does to make theirs taste so good but I love it. Very creamy. I often eat it with diced tomatoes and a lot of pepper on it. For breakfast, I put a slice of tomato on a piece of wheat toast, top with 1/4 cup cottage cheese, and sprinkle with pepper.
  • blueberry67
    Options
    i eat 1/4 cup every morning as a snack - fat free small curd - sometimes with a small teaspoon of fruit jam for flavor