How many people actually diet 7 days a week?

Options

Replies

• jenken99
    jenken99 Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    I also log every day and the days, I do give myself a treat every once in awhile but i still log so then i can say "wow if i did that every day i would be at a stand still or at a gain" so i try to keep track,,, thankfully we have this site so we can see actually where we are doing wrong when it comes to eating.
  • TamaraHaase
    TamaraHaase Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I've had one day that I didn't log everything because I went to a Chinese buffet and didn't know how, exactly, to log everything I ate. That being said, I don't look at it as cheating. I think if I label it as 'cheating' and 'dieting', I'll set myself up for failure by forcing myself to follow rules and remain within boundaries. My calorie goal is my guideline, around where I want to reach each day. If I go over, I don't stress about it because I honestly feel like that is good for my body as well. That being said, I'm not sure my methods would work if I hadn't changed my eating habits which consisted of a lot of fast food.

I'm a numbers girl, so seeing it written down is fun :smile:
  • dakitten2
    dakitten2 Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    I am not going to get into the semantics of 'diet" vs "lifestyle changes". I know what my journey is all about.

I am currently in week 33 of my journey and have logged every single day. It was sort of time consuming at first but now it is second nature for me and I always leave the mfp website open on my computer so I can log instantly. I dont have "cheat/splurge" days, I just stay within my goal.

I'm currently on 1300 calories (set by my dietician that I see every month) and seem to do pretty good most days on that. I've only had one day that I exceeded my calorie goal (by 200 calories). If I know I'm going out to eat, I plan around it. If I want pizza, I make compromises on my other meals to allow me to have that.

So basically, yes, I am a consistent logger. It keeps me honest and accountable to myself.
  • Hmrjmr1
    Hmrjmr1 Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options
    I don't log on weekends generally, its my own form of psychological rest, and also it adds discipline for me since even when I don't log intake I still eat smart. My whole process is and has been about fitting foods I like and eating less of the ones I like that are less helpful, I'm currently on maint and I've kept within 5 lbs of my original goal since Feb.
    I stress though that this is what works for me, if you need the logging incentive to stay true to yourself then do so.
  • eodtech89d
    eodtech89d Posts: 32
    Options
    Hell no I personally don't diet 7 days a week, my life sucks enough out here in Afghanistan. I need to treat myself somehow and if that means a burger or a cup of ice cream I'm doing it. Doing a cheat day definitely gives me a mental break.
  • sophiathedss
    sophiathedss Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    total lifestyle change for me, so the diet word...ugh, but I might have a off plan food on Sunday with the family. I just came off a 3 week stall...eating clean makes me feel better but once in awhile I have something "not so good" for me!

11269213.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • jjelizalde
    jjelizalde Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    24/7 cause I'm trying to not see it as a "diet" rather a lifestyle change. I want to re-learn not just a quick fix.
    This is how I think about it as well. I normally eat "regular" food and make sure it fits in my calorie limits. This is not a diet to me but the way I plan on eating the rest of my life.
  • 2012newbie
    2012newbie Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty good with what I eat and I log everyday and stay consistently in that range. I haven't gone over yet. I think I set myself up with a realistic calorie and carb count that didn't restrict me to such a point that I would want to go over for any reason. I think I've been going strong almost 6 months now and 65 pounds gone.
  • SteffieMark
    SteffieMark Posts: 1,723 Member
    Options
    I log everything, everyday. I always stay within my macros and exercise daily. It's not about a diet anymore. It's about changing my life and keeping it that way, to gain and maintain my heath. I don't cheat, I just eat what I like, mainly clean, and fit it into my goals.
  • Tdk4685
    Tdk4685 Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    I log in everyday and I exercise everyday. I feel I have to or I will go back to my old ways.
  • delonda1
    delonda1 Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    I have recently been logging everyday...and sometimes i go over because I guesstimate over rather than under....but yesterday i deliberately went over because i was craving CRABS. but usually i dont go over nor do i have "cheat days" i eat whats good for me and sometimes will treat to something i wouldnt normally eat as long as it isnt absurdly unhealthy
  • twinmom1993
    Options
    24/7 cause I'm trying to not see it as a "diet" rather a lifestyle change. I want to re-learn not just a quick fix.

seriously like this one!!!!:flowerforyou:
  • chandysiegman
    Options
    I try to log everyday but i do give myself one day a week where i go out to dinner and eat what i want. I have been doing this since the beginning and i hit my goal in 5 months. I could have done it sooner but i needed this one day to look forward to to help me get through the rest. I still walk everyday and i dont over eat but on friday nights i eat what i want and enjoy it!
  • jjean905
    jjean905 Posts: 175
    Options
    I diet 7 days a week and have been successfully under my goal since January 1 of this year. Can't say it's been the easiest thing when someone from work brings in Mcdonalds or some other fast food.....but, when I see the progress i've made, it's all been worth it.
  • lisaishotpink
    Options
    I log 7 days a week, no matter what. I won't lose weight if I don't stay under my calorie limit, and I have an 18 month old so I have no social life whatsoever. LoL No worries about waitresses/waiters looking at me funny for requesting odd things when my husband and I do go out either. I do cardio 6 days a week and throw some strength-related stuff in a few days per week as well. This is a lifelong lifestyle change that I've committed to, and not sticking to plan is not an option! That being said, if an ice cream cone fits within my macros, I'm eating it. I've lost 42 pounds since January of this year, and occasionally eating chocolate hasn't hindered that. =)
  • bradthemedic
    bradthemedic Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    I don't diet, I lifestyle. And yes I do it every single day.
  • amberleighM04
    Options
    I don't diet... just try to eat sensibly and stay under calorie goal.
  • dleithaus
    dleithaus Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I do not like to refer to what I do every day as a diet. Diet implies something that is done temporarily to reach a goal. I have changed my relationship to food, and in that process, I track calories in and calories out --every day, no matter if I am over or under.

I allow myself two days a week for being "over", usually as a result of ice cream, cake, cookies, or candy. Since I am in maintenance, and my relationship with food is good, it all averages out and my weight moves plus or minus in that average. It is a good place to be... and I would not be there if I was not tracking every day.
  • Zichu
    Zichu Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    I said a while back I didn't want to get obsessed with logging everything, so I stopped logging on weekends, but I noticed I was going back to old habits on weekends without knowing what I was eating and not seeing any results on the scales. I went back to logging on weekends and it's easier because I don't feel the need to eat something I wouldn't normally eat on weekdays.
  • londoneye
    londoneye Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I'm not on a diet! I am making sensible choices and making sure I'm not over eating. :wink:

Just curious, what is the difference?

Lol... when people say this, or that they are doing a 'lifestyle change' they just mean 'this time I'm not going to fail like all the times before'. The sad truth is that whatever you call it, 95% of people who lose weight don't keep it off long term.

Why can't someone be the 5%. 95% or not statistically you have a 50/50 chance of doing something successfully no matter the statistics that are thrown at you. If you go through life thinking you are part of the percentage that failed you will never find success at anything. 99% of my family told me my youngest son would be "retarded" and fail at life, he is now a successful engineer (NASA; Boeing;) statistics don't control your life, you do.

Of course it is possible to be part of the 5%, but I don't think that semantics are what makes the difference. Let's have a bit of humility here... given the low success rate, this whole 'I'm not on a diet, this is a new lifestyle' just rings a bit hollow to me. You can justify saying that once you've lost the weight and kept it off for a couple of years. But until then? I'm not convinced.