City planning to ban sale of oversized sweetened drinks

Options

Replies

• arojas1227
    arojas1227 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I think I'm a libertarian at heart, because I will never think it's right to legally regulate things just because they're unhealthy. Especially if they're only unhealthy to the person consuming them. If people want to kill themselves slowly with sugar it's not my business. If they want to kill themselves fast with crack that's not my business, either.

Down with the nanny state.
    ^This.

As someone in the comment to the New York Times piece I just posted said, When everyone has the insurance or money to pay for their "individual choices" then we can talk. As it stands now, all of us are subsidizing the companies that make these drinks. It IS our business.

So because you pay taxes, you have the right to tell me how large my drinks can be? Sorry, I don't feel the same way.
  • SteffieMark
    SteffieMark Posts: 1,723 Member
    Options
    I don't drink soda or sugary drinks, so it doesn't affect me. I think it's a good idea to limit 'yourself' from too much in the way of sugary drinks. I just do not see it as the Mayor's call. I think he'll run into nothing but opposition. Who is he to tell anyone they can't have something? That is a parents job to teach their children moderation, not his.
  • manic4titans
    manic4titans Posts: 1,214 Member
    Options
    All of you who are for the limited size of sweetened drinks , what about Starbucks frappe which is over 500 calories? And the beer that is over 16 oz?

Government must NOT pick and choose.
  • fsmalley
    fsmalley Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    The largest big gulp is 1.9 liters. Drink that in water- That’s your 8 cups a day.

In Coke. 800+ calories and 234 grams of sugar.

In Dew, over 1,000 calories and 276g of sugar

In Pepsi, 852 and 210 grams of sugar.

When I make a standard 8 inch sponge I use 180g of sugar. There is more sugar in the these soft drinks then there is in entire CAKE.

We occasionally get a 2 liter bottle for the house. It lasts 5 of us 2 meals or 2 of us nearly a week. I cannot see why anyone needs that or multiples of that a day. It’s all about free choice I know, but why allow people to make the free choice to kill themselves?

When I drive my car, on the interstate, at 70 miles per hour, it takes me an hour to get where I'm going. That's the speed limit so that's the speed I drive. Why allow Chevrolet to sell the Corvette in the State of Florida? The maximum speed limit is 70. Should Chevy govern all of their vehicles to the maximum speed mandated by the State they are sold in? Is it Chevrolet's fault that insurance companies incur expenses from drivers exceeding the speed limit? What about P90X? You could pull something working out like that. If you're uninsured, the taxpayers will have to pick up the expense of your reckless activity. Should the State ban running because it may be bad for your knees? Please forgive my sarcasm, it just boggles my mind that there are those among us that believe lawmakers should make all of our choices. If you don't like a bucket of soda with your lunch... Don't order it. If you want a 6oz soda but it's not available, order a 12oz and drink 1/2. And if you need your government to dictate every aspect of your life, move to China.
  • StarvingDiva
    StarvingDiva Posts: 1,107 Member
    Options
    A store chain called Fresh & Easy is making its way and it makes eating healthy affordable. It's a response to market forces - believe it

I have a problem with this. Why does a store chain have to pave the way for healthy affordable eating? It should exist everywhere, no matter what. Fresh & Easy is only located in Nevada, California, and Arizona...so while those states will have affordable healthy lifestyles, the rest of the country will remain at a standstill

It's the same thing as places like subway offering the "fresh fit option" and taco bell's "fresco" menu...why has society become so hooked on the unhealthy options that it has become the norm? These ideas should not be seen as innovative ways to get healthier...it's a fact that these companies are a huge part of the obesity problem.

We are a society of excess...we get everything we want, when we want it, and it is disgusting.

So....what? The government should tell us what we can have and when we can have?

No thank you. I'll take personal liberty any day over that ****.

Yeah I think that was called Russia.
  • StarvingDiva
    Options
    what happened to personal responsibility?
    The government stopped trusting people to make the decisions themselves. And with the projected obesity statistics over there in the states, you can see why.

It may not be right, but it may well be necessary.

This is the same government that regulates the garbage that they pass "off" as food and who want bans on raw milk farmers. Color me confused.
  • ChristophHewett
    ChristophHewett Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Wow, this is a huge thread already. Sorry I didn't have time to read all the post, but wanted to say my piece. Sorry If I've repeated.

People who say NO to the nanny state don't realise that it already is a nanny state, run by the food & bev giants - they're just more subtle. Large sizes is just the start. They introduce large size, and leverage the market with gimicks, (eg, 20c super-size, novelty cups) down the track they remove the smaller size from the shelves, or use other tricks like shelf placement, or pricing structure. All of a sudden the small might be 80% the price for half the volume and the only difference is the packaging. Market research shows that people are highly likely to finish the package regardless of the size - companies reinforce that by pushing the satisfying slurp sound of the full drained cup.

Laws are crude and fail often, but these choice do have major health and financial impacts across a society. I prefer to educate the population to the tactics and empower choice.
  • StarvingDiva
    Options
    I think I'm a libertarian at heart, because I will never think it's right to legally regulate things just because they're unhealthy. Especially if they're only unhealthy to the person consuming them. If people want to kill themselves slowly with sugar it's not my business. If they want to kill themselves fast with crack that's not my business, either.

^This.

As someone in the comment to the New York Times piece I just posted said, When everyone has the insurance or money to pay for their "individual choices" then we can talk. As it stands now, all of us are subsidizing the companies that make these drinks. It IS our business.

Then it should go up for vote on the ballot, if the people of NY agree it passes.

If NYer's really want this, they will vote for it.
  • sasssurf
    sasssurf Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Simple answer for meis great! Ban the huge drinks. Diet drinks have aspartame worse than sugar. Just don't drink fizzy drinks. Water is grand. Me thinks.
  • kazzari
    kazzari Posts: 473 Member
    Options

This.

Same here. Individuals are responsible for their own health, educating themselves and making their own choices.
  • GTOgirl1969
    GTOgirl1969 Posts: 2,527 Member
    Options

This! ^^ We're all here because we CHOSE to become healthier, not because Uncle Sam decided to cram arbitrary laws down our throats.
  • Brunner26_2
    Brunner26_2 Posts: 1,152
    Options
    I understand the argument about personal responsibility. That would be all well and good if a person's obesity only affected his- or herself. If you can't afford healthcare and you have an obesity-related illness, do you know who pays? Everyone. Hospital rates are raised on those who can afford it to cover those who can't. And what about those who have insurance? When more and more people use their insurance for preventable conditions, it raises the cost of insurance for everyone else.
  • skb12573
    skb12573 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    what happened to personal responsibility?

Agree with this!!
    YUP!!! ... down with the Nanny state.
  • mfp_junkie
    mfp_junkie Posts: 359
    Options
    I understand the argument about personal responsibility. That would be all well and good if a person's obesity only affected his- or herself. If you can't afford healthcare and you have an obesity-related illness, do you know who pays? Everyone. Hospital rates are raised on those who can afford it to cover those who can't. And what about those who have insurance? When more and more people use their insurance for preventable conditions, it raises the cost of insurance for everyone else.

To extend that argument, being overweight should be illegal. The government should then outlaw french fries, high fat chips, ice cream, McDonald's, bacon, and anything else that might cause one to become overweight.

The solution is to hand out food pellets to each citizen, and drink nothing but water. Nobody will be fat, and we'll all live forever.
  • skb12573
    skb12573 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    I am to assume you live in a bubble? You don't drive vehicles that use gas? Use items that require batteries. Consume pre packaged food? All that you do impacts others. Just saying...
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options

But they aren't limiting how much you eat/drink - it just means that if you want two large drinks, you buy two large drinks. How is that restricting your liberty?

It isn't. It is encouraging people to reflect a little more on their choices. Consciousness is a wonderful thing. It is, perhaps, just a little bit antithetical to unfettered consumerism, though.

But hey, that doesn't make as catchy a soundbite as some pseudo-libertarian 'nanny state' slogan... ?
  • DataBased
    DataBased Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    Then isn't this the real problem? Why not change that instead of telling people how big a drink they can buy?

I have such a hard time believing that anybody would trust the government or politicians to have their best interest at heart. You think the food and beverage giants are the one driving this? Then how do you feel about the fact that Bloomberg himself endorsed and supported Doughnut Day - and even tried to rally support for the soda ban at the Doughnut Day celebration?

But don't worry - he's' got your best interest at heart. Heck, he even blocks the donation of food to the homeless because he has no way to monitor how much sodium and fat is in it.

<shaking head>

And there are people who think this is just okay. Amazing.
  • Brunner26_2
    Brunner26_2 Posts: 1,152
    Options
    I am to assume you live in a bubble? You don't drive vehicles that use gas? Use items that require batteries. Consume pre packaged food? All that you do impacts others. Just saying...

True enough. You've actually given me something to think about (no sarcasm intended at all). It would be great if I could afford an electric vehicle or 100% fresh food. Unfortunately I can't. But I can afford not to buy jumbo sodas and coffee drinks. I don't anyway, so it's not really hurting me. Where is the line? Hmm...
  • asia_hanebach
    asia_hanebach Posts: 275 Member
    Options

^This times a million.
  • StarvingDiva
    Options

To extend that argument, being overweight should be illegal. The government should then outlaw french fries, high fat chips, ice cream, McDonald's, bacon, and anything else that might cause one to become overweight.

The solution is to hand out food pellets to each citizen, and drink nothing but water. Nobody will be fat, and we'll all live forever.

The food pellet thing just made me think of Soylent Green....*shudder*