The Paleo Diet Moves From The Gym To The Doctor's Office

Options
123457»

Replies

• RonSwanson66
    RonSwanson66 Posts: 1,150 Member
    Options
    I was going to try to go with the paleo diet but I found that I simply could not afford it. Meat is expensive and I have a family to feed. So I eat as healthy as I can afford to and limit my portion sizes.

So what do you eat that is cheaper? Quick and easy pre-packaged food? Eating paleo/primal is more than just weight loss. It is for health.

65% of your calories are supposed to come from meat (according to a paleo site), that is a LOT of meat to buy for a family!

A diet that limits meat but is high in nuts and beans is cheaper and not "quick and easy pre packaged foods". Meat in itself doesn't offer anything nutrition wise that you can't get elsewhere, and probably cheaper.

Incorrect, it is HIGH FAT, MODERATE protein, low or moderate carbs (depending on activity levels)

Guess it depends on which sect of the cult you adhere to.
  • bm99
    bm99 Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    I was going to try to go with the paleo diet but I found that I simply could not afford it. Meat is expensive and I have a family to feed. So I eat as healthy as I can afford to and limit my portion sizes.

So what do you eat that is cheaper? Quick and easy pre-packaged food? Eating paleo/primal is more than just weight loss. It is for health.

65% of your calories are supposed to come from meat (according to a paleo site), that is a LOT of meat to buy for a family!

A diet that limits meat but is high in nuts and beans is cheaper and not "quick and easy pre packaged foods". Meat in itself doesn't offer anything nutrition wise that you can't get elsewhere, and probably cheaper.

Incorrect, it is HIGH FAT, MODERATE protein, low or moderate carbs (depending on activity levels)

Lentils are rich sources of protein, folic acid, dietary fiber, vitamin C, B vitamins, essential amino acids and trace minerals. A 100 g serving of lentils contains 60 g carbohydrates, 31 g dietary fiber, 1 g fat, 26 g protein, 0.87 mg thiamine, 479 μg of folate and 7.5 mg iron. Among the winter growing legumes, lentils have the highest concentration of antioxidants.

My bad, when I say "beans" I mean 90% lentils. But even just beans... there is nothing wrong with a high fat, high carb diet.
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options

That is funny. We cut our grocery bill by at least 60% when we converted to Paleo.

Curious as to how you did that, as grains and legumes are some of the cheapest things to buy esp when bought in bulk

Well I no longer shop in the grocery stores now. Farmers markets, CSA membership and Coop for produce, eggs and raw dairy. And I am growing some of my own veggies.

Local farmer for meats. (averages $2.00 / lb and we get steaks, roasts which gets ground up for burger, free range chicken and different cuts of heritage certified pork).

For the record, I wasn't eating grains and legumes prior to Paleo as I was on Atkins then, but purchasing food from regular grocery stores then.

Hoe does one find these farmers that sell meat that cheap? Grass fed or not, don't think I've seen beef that cheap, seen chicken for $1.99/lb

Check out http://www.eatwild.com/products/newjersey.html

thx will check out

Yikes the one closest to me has higher prices then the local whole foods

Well, New Jersey is not Illinois or Missouri
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    Lentils are rich sources of protein, folic acid, dietary fiber, vitamin C, B vitamins, essential amino acids and trace minerals. A 100 g serving of lentils contains 60 g carbohydrates, 31 g dietary fiber, 1 g fat, 26 g protein, 0.87 mg thiamine, 479 μg of folate and 7.5 mg iron. Among the winter growing legumes, lentils have the highest concentration of antioxidants.

My bad, when I say "beans" I mean 90% lentils. But even just beans... there is nothing wrong with a high fat, high carb diet.
    I only recently discovered how awesome lentils are- but they're one of my new favorite foods. They're also $1.19 for 9 servings and easy to cook- you can prepare them pretty much exactly like rice.
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    Options

Guess it depends on which sect of the cult you adhere to.

Why don't you go troll elsewhere
  • weecdngeer
    Options
    I've been following a paleo'ish' diet for the past 4 months or so on the recommendation of my doctor. I really have no interest in replicating the diet of any historical age or any real opinion with respect to the science behind it. I do, however, know that I feel better, my blood work says I'm healthier and based on that, I'm sticking with this lifestyle. I don't consider myself a paleo evangelist, but I will tell someone what I've been doing if they ask.
  • lovelee79
    lovelee79 Posts: 362
    Options
    Paleo, Primal, & Low carb is sexy. :love:
  • unsuspectingfish
    unsuspectingfish Posts: 1,176 Member
    Options
    Doctors prescribe HCG, so I'm not going to be sold on anything just because a doctor prescribes it. However, Paleo sounds actually healthy as opposed to the HCG starvation diets. Paleo isn't for me, but interesting article anyway. :D

Eating enough calories worth of bugs would be healthier than the HCG diet.

Actually, bugs are really good for you...
  • bm99
    Options

I only recently discovered how awesome lentils are- but they're one of my new favorite foods. They're also $1.19 for 9 servings and easy to cook- you can prepare them pretty much exactly like rice.

I love them! A giant serving of protein and fiber for a small amount of calories. Anytime I am under on protein or fiber my go to food is lentils
  • Umeboshi
    Umeboshi Posts: 1,637 Member
    Options
    Doctors prescribe HCG, so I'm not going to be sold on anything just because a doctor prescribes it. However, Paleo sounds actually healthy as opposed to the HCG starvation diets. Paleo isn't for me, but interesting article anyway. :D

Good point. Many cultures still eat bugs.
    The real question is, are bugs paleo? :laugh:
  • bm99
    Options

They must be... I can't imagine a caveman passing by a perfectly juicy bug morsel.
  • RonSwanson66
    RonSwanson66 Posts: 1,150 Member
    Options

Hells yeah! Bugs are freakin Jurassic (more hardcore than those Paleo-wussies).
  • toysbigkid
    toysbigkid Posts: 545 Member
    Options
    bumping.......awesome read!!!!
  • Spanaval
    Spanaval Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options

Hoe does one find these farmers that sell meat that cheap? Grass fed or not, don't think I've seen beef that cheap, seen chicken for $1.99/lb

localharvest.org - usually you can find farms that specialize in grass fed deliciousness. :)

Thank you! I found a few that I didn't know about, including a couple that are open on the weekends. IME, locally grown produce in this area is super expensive, but I like supporting them anyway.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options

mammoth+meat+campaign.jpg
  • TheFunBun
    TheFunBun Posts: 793 Member
    Options
    Thank you! I found a few that I didn't know about, including a couple that are open on the weekends. IME, locally grown produce in this area is super expensive, but I like supporting them anyway.

The best thing you can do is wait for a really new CSA to crop up. You can get really low rates that way - but of course there is a risk element.
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    Options

I like grasshoppers and dandelion greens.
  • Spanaval
    Spanaval Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options

Even better covered with chocolate (yes, I've had chocolate covered ants). And grasshopper tacos were good too. Too bad paleo people didn't do chocolate. Or tacos.
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    Options

Even better covered with chocolate (yes, I've had chocolate covered ants). And grasshopper tacos were good too. Too bad paleo people didn't do chocolate. Or tacos.

Some do eat organic dark chocolate. I don't as I don't like chocolate and never have.