When should I be proud of my weight loss?

Options
124»

Replies

• myfitnessnmhoy
    myfitnessnmhoy Posts: 2,105 Member
    Options
    YOU should be proud of yourself for the work that went in to losing EVERY POUND, EVERY INCH, EVERY SIZE, and EVERY PERCENT of body fat.

There's only one person you are really doing this for, and you have to look at that person every time you stand in front of a mirror. That person's opinion is the only one that counts, and it should be full of pride and livin' large (though maybe a little less large than previously - LOL).
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,311 Member
    Options
    Saying that, I will never be proud of my weight loss. I don't have an emotional attachment to my weight in that way. If anything, I am just slightly horrified I made excuses to be fat for so long after having children. But it doesn't matter. I am an ok weight now, and that's fine. Just don't comment on it!
  • angelmeanttofly
    Options
    wow I just logged back on and I read all the comments on this post. There are so many people that are happy and proud of themselves. That's really what it is all about. What we feel about ourselves. I am going to hold onto that. It's the feeling of pride that will help me get where I am going, not someone elses opinions or comments. Thank you all for the encouragement an making me see that I have to do this for me and no one else. Congrats on your successes an good luck on your journeys this is an amazing community and it's what I needed all this time. Positive support.
  • ZenZen55
    ZenZen55 Posts: 5
    Options
    Second that - I am proud of you and I don't know you! And I am inspired by your thoughtful approach as well as your self-improved health!
  • TrishD2
    TrishD2 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Today was a good day and a not so good day all in one. I went shopping and to my surprise I have dropped a size. YAY lol so I came home and had to call my friends to tell them how proud of myself I was. Well then I went out to my brothers and all that pride was swept away with one comment my cousin made. I took my hoody off to show my sister in law my new tank top and he said put that back on I can't look at that! And him, my bother and his friend laughed. I felt so little and embarrassed and I feel like I now have nothing to be proud of. Will I always feel this way? Do I have to wait till I am as skinny a the other girls in my family before they stop calling me down?

Be proud of yourself no matter what anybody says! some people are immature and can be real jerks, family or not that's just the way it is. You have every reason to be proud! Don't give up! Friend me if you'd like too! lol
  • dancecentral
    dancecentral Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    for me it was between 5-10 pounds lost because then I figured it was my hard work paying off and not just scale flux or water weight..
  • coraliethomas
    coraliethomas Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    You should have been proud from day 1.... the day you decided to change the way things are!
  • Brandicaloriecountess
    Brandicaloriecountess Posts: 2,126 Member
    Options
    How freaking rude, be proud of every single pound you lose!!!
  • jesscarows
    jesscarows Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    The moment you decide to make positive changes in your life and be a healthier you.
  • azwildcatfan94
    azwildcatfan94 Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    I think that at the end of the day, if you've met your water intake, calorie and exercise goals, you should be proud of yourself. Regardless of whether it shows up on the scale that day/week/whatever or not.

For me, this is a forever process, so I can't get too bogged down with what the scale says. Sure, when it makes a big jump, I get excited! But, even if it goes up a little, if I've been doing all the right things, I don't worry about it.
  • jmelyan23
    jmelyan23 Posts: 1,664 Member
    Options
    You should be proud each and every day you make the effort to better yourself. Congratulations on dropping a size, that's an amazing accomplishment. :flowerforyou:
  • _Elemenopee_
    _Elemenopee_ Posts: 2,665 Member
    Options
    Question: "When should I be proud of my weight loss?"

Answer: Now!
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    Anyone who puts you down is not worth your time. That's such an awful thing to say, you deserve to feel proud of your progress!!

I know it stinks, but sometimes throughout the course of your progress, you learn that there are people who are great for sharing your truimphs with, and people who aren't. That doesn't (necessarily) mean they shouldn't be in your life at all, just that they aren't the right people to be sharing this part of your life with. For me, I have one friend (he is struggling with weight himself) who minimizes my accomplishments. Other than that, he's actually a really great friend, but I learned early on that he's not the right person to support me in this way.
  • jodi4861
    jodi4861 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Every time you log on to MFP
    Every time you make a healthy food choice
    Every time you exercise
    Every time you make a bad food choice and brush it off and make a better one next time
    Every day that you try

I kinda want to kick your cousin in the shin....
    :tongue:
  • spikefoot
    spikefoot Posts: 419
    Options
    be proud of every pound lost or every pound that isn't gained.

Having said I would try not to measure happiness this way just let it happen more organically and most of all be proud you are not those jerks!
  • kba0708
    kba0708 Posts: 17
    Options
    Here's the thing, no matter how much people love you some just can't accept the success of others. Whether it be weight loss, a promotion, etc they always find a way to make it seem like no big deal. You have to learn to take them with a grain of salt and know that it's just their personality.

So when should you be proud? Every day when you eat well. Every time you exercise. Be proud of every step you take to a healthier you and a better, more fulfilled life. Identify the people in your life who, knowingly or not, try to undermine your accomplishments, and simply don't share such things with these people. Don't let anyone get to you!!! You're on a great path so keep on going!
  • lilapapas
    lilapapas Posts: 8
    Options
    I canNOT believe that they would taunt you like that when you have made such a great decision to get healthy! They should be supportive! I would have FREAKED and made them feel like the jerks that they are! Like everyone else said, you should be proud every step of the way, every time you make a healthy choice! Don't let people bring you down... Just wait to see their faces when you reach your goal... I bet they won't be laughing then! ;)<3 Good luck!
  • calalily77
    calalily77 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    You should be proud all of the time. Your cousin sounds like he has a sick sense of humor and your brother isn't any better for laughing at it. You go ahead and be proud. You deserve it. Don't let them be a reason to feel bad about yourself.
  • Micksgurl
    Micksgurl Posts: 84
    Options
    I would have found a verbal way to put that A*% munch in their place. Just remember that every night that person lays their head down to sleep they have several things that they hope nobody ever finds out about them. They are pathetic and sad. Blow it off and be proud of EVERY ounce you lose.
  • Bridget28152723
    Bridget28152723 Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    yes you have every right to be proud for every lb you lose! Men can be kinda like that Ive noticed, when I was THIN, I showed my husband my tummy as it had gotten much tighter and my son said "ew that looks nasty" he was about 12 at the time...I think it was because of a few white stretch marks but I was looking good, tell people who you know support you and are positive about your progress, some people are rude and negative....you are doing excellent and Im proud of YOU !!!