Lady watcher at my gym

Options

Replies

• Scott613
    Scott613 Posts: 2,317 Member
    Options
    Is he breathing hard when he leers or is his breathing deeper after his 2-4 reps?
  • hiker282
    hiker282 Posts: 983 Member
    Options
    And you don't think it's at all creepy that you'll watch this guy for an hour each time you're at the gym? You're watching him so closely, you know exactly how many sets and reps he's doing?

Sounds like a case of the pot calling the kettle black to me.
  • gseburn
    gseburn Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    Thankfully there is yet to be a law that tells me where I can point my eyes. I'm not saying I support leering, inappropriate comments etc, but looking or even thinking cannot be legislated or controlled. When I'm at the gym I try my best to focus on what I'm doing and ignore my surroundings. It doesn't always work, men are very visual, but I try.
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    That's why I work out at home. Every time you try to leer suggestively at women at the gym someone makes a federal case out of it. Leering suggestively at the woman at home just gets eyes rolled at me.
  • BryGuy2
    BryGuy2 Posts: 244
    Options
    I would definitely say something to them. Maybe do it at a time that he isnt there, or ask them to wait to say something that way it doesnt look suspicious. Hopefully they are trained enough to deal with those situatons to not make him feel bad if he isnt doing it, but also get him to stop if he is doing that.
  • Sumo813
    Sumo813 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    Okay, first of all, if he is doing super heavy weight for him, then 2-4 reps with very long rests in between is appropriate. That particular type of workout builds strength and power.

That being said, eyeing all of the female flesh in the place while he is doing his rest between sets is totally inappropriate. Personally, I would very loudly call him on it so that every woman in the place knew to watch out for him. But I'm generally pretty bold. If you aren't as bold, schedule a time to meet with the manager. That way you can talk to them privately to fix the situation.

This was my thinking as well. Heavysets are generally 4 rep MAX. So that is entirely possible. But the creepin peepers... depends on how bad it is. Could just be paranoia? But chances are, it most likely isnt, and that means others have likely already noticed and said something, and perhaps the gym doesn't see it as an issue. Maybe chat with some of the women in the locker room... "Oh my God, this guy totally gives me the creeps." Chances are, you'll find you arent alone.
  • senyosmom
    senyosmom Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    mention it to management on your way out. that way, if they approach him you are long gone. Plus, if you noticed Im sure others have too...
  • rmhand
    rmhand Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    You probably won't be the first person to tell the front desk. If he has other complaints then they will take action.
  • BrendarB
    BrendarB Posts: 2,770 Member
    Options
    For sure, if it's heavy sets, then 5 min rest inbetween is normal. When I do heavy sets or try for a 1rep max, then walking around inbetween is normal - and if he's looking at people, so what? what else is there to look at in a gym? If he's singling someone out, or ssomeone feels threatened, that's different, but if he's just looking around inbetween sets, I don't see anything wrong with that.
  • SexyCook
    SexyCook Posts: 2,253 Member
    Options
    I completely know how you feel....I have reported 1 older guy before at my gym....He would come around and stare right in your face...and I mean folds hands and all..It was so uncomfortable.. Look back at you in the mirror and when you speak would turn his head.....many had already reported him....I was also asked about a guy that would come on to african american girls in an unpleasant way...but the guy never had he would just look at me and smile so that didnt bother me.... It is crazy some of the things that go on in the gym...especially when you are not revealing all your goodies... Possibly speak with the gym owner or staff...
  • Jess81620
    Jess81620 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Your probally not the only one who feels uncomfortable. I would definetly tell the front desk.
  • NewChristina
    NewChristina Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    I would complain too. And I'm not the type to complain about that behavior generally, but if it is really getting creepy... Who knows, he could be dangerous. And you may not be the first to complain. Maybe they need one more complaint to take care of this freak.
  • kadins_momma07
    kadins_momma07 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    I would say something just to be safe. Is there anyway you can do it annoymously, like a phone call or something? That way he would have no idea it was you.

This is a good idea ^^...Maybe while you're there working on a machine and you see him, call the gym while youre working out and explain that you're there right now and what you've been observing everytime you come and it makes you feel uneasy about coming to the gym. Do it while you're there, and you know that he's there...otherwise they may not know who the heck you're talking about or they may just blow it off. Being there, at least you'll get to stand back and see if someone talks to him.
  • BrendarB
    BrendarB Posts: 2,770 Member
    Options
    also, why not just talk to him?
  • Katie3784
    Katie3784 Posts: 543
    Options
    And you don't think it's at all creepy that you'll watch this guy for an hour each time you're at the gym? You're watching him so closely, you know exactly how many sets and reps he's doing?

Sounds like a case of the pot calling the kettle black to me.
    lol
  • Kristy_Elizabeth
    Options
    I'm not experiencing what you are, but as you are describing this I doubt I would have even noticed it or if I did that It would have made me uncomfortable. I guess I feel pretty comfortable and safe in a public place like a gym. I guess I'm not seeing the danger of this situation?
  • GabrielleZelda
    GabrielleZelda Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    This has happened to me before, too. Except the man in question would follow me around and just be suuuper creepy. I finally had it, when I decided to leave the gym and bike home and I realized he had waited for me in the parking lot and was following me in his car! I circled a few blocks to make sure he wouldn't know where I lived until I eventually lost him.

I called the gym and made a formal complaint. They didn't know WHO I was talking about, but the next time he was at the gym with me I made sure to tell the owner herself and made sure she got a good look at him.

I actually never saw him at the gym again! Don't know if they said something to him, maybe he was terribly embarrassed.

Good riddance!
  • kadins_momma07
    kadins_momma07 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    I would complain too. And I'm not the type to complain about that behavior generally, but if it is really getting creepy... Who knows, he could be dangerous. And you may not be the first to complain. Maybe they need one more complaint to take care of this freak.

I'm not one to really complain either, I usually just keep my thoughts to myself..BUT, one time I was at my local library by myself and noticed this creepy guy kept getting close to me and not picking up books or acting interested in the library, he'd be near me even if I went all the way to the other side of the library. Then I saw him looking at me through the book shelf and I knew I definitely had to say something...turns out that creepo has done this before to other girls. He actually saw me talking to the library staff and he hid then ran out. Haven't seen the creepo since, nowhere around town actually (thank goodness!!). I'm glad I said something and made his face known to the staff so they can look out for him!
  • cspence2270
    cspence2270 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I've heard many times that a person should follow thier instintics, if this guy is making you uncomfortable you should say something. Ask a few of the other girls at the gym if you need too, if you've noticed than they probably have too.

I'm probably way over cautious but isn't that how someone scopes out a victim- they watch them and get their habits down ect... OK I've probably read one too many books but in this day and age- there is nothing wrong with being cautious and aware of your surroundings.
  • mommy7
    mommy7 Posts: 153
    Options
    My workout partner and I had almost that issue. We just talk to him and it's not so creepy now. He encourages us in our workouts and is a very nice person.