Ph.D.'s

Options

Replies

• Leslie85
    Leslie85 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    Not me! When I finished up my Master's, I decided that my marriage and family life couldn't handle going back for a Ph.D.! :smile:
    So more power to all of you who can successfully complete a doctorate!

Same here! Finished my Master's in December....and I'm DONE with school! haha!
  • drkuhl2017
    drkuhl2017 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    I'm not there yet, but I'm working toward it. Just need to finish up my Bachelor's and then going back for my Masters and Doctorate in Psychology.
  • ooBombshellBeautyoo
    ooBombshellBeautyoo Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    Finishing my Master's in Logisitics and Supply Chain in 6 weeks. Looking into getting a PhD in Business in a couple of years. With the last name Love, who wouldn't want to be called Dr. Love!
  • Stargirlsmiles88
    Stargirlsmiles88 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I start doctorate school in fall of 2013... Au.D though.
  • solarpower4
    solarpower4 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Environmental Science and Public Policy joint degree PhD plus an MBA... I LOVED school for quite a while (and still love learning), but then wanted to get out and make some real money! I still love tutoring...
  • Sweet13_Princess
    Sweet13_Princess Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    I just started my Literature and Criticism PhD at Indiana University of Pennsylvania this summer. I'm currently a high school English teacher with an English BA and a MA in Curriculum and Instruction. I want my doctorate because education has always been important to me and it's something I want to achieve for myself. If it leads to future job opportunities, that's just an additional bonus!

Shannon
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I just started my Literature and Criticism PhD at Indiana University of Pennsylvania this summer. I'm currently a high school English teacher with an English BA and a MA in Curriculum and Instruction. I want my doctorate because education has always been important to me and it's something I want to achieve for myself. If it leads to future job opportunities, that's just an additional bonus!

Shannon
    What a great Ph.D!
  • DrMAvDPhD
    DrMAvDPhD Posts: 2,097 Member
    Options
    Entering my fourth of hopefully five years for a PhD in Chemistry.
  • RobynC79
    RobynC79 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    I have a BSc in Marine Biology (3 years + 1 year of honours) and a PhD in EEB (Ecology, Evolution, Behaviour) in another 3 years. If you count my 3 yr postdoc (Neuroscience), that's 9 looong years of education...

It turns out there are a lot of us here. Awesome.
  • foxbat2828
    foxbat2828 Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    PhD in information systems.
    Bachelors, Masters, PhD ... have spent almost all of my adult life at some academic institution. :smile:

I'm in the same boat, although I've also done a stint in industry too.
  • Carfoodel
    Carfoodel Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    I am 45 and just completed my BSc in Psychology and about to go into a Research Masters and my Professor is helping me with getting my dissertation published so very exciting - there may be the potential for it to lead onto a PHd - but I am just focusing on one step at a time ( like the weight loss, I guess lol)
  • nal816
    nal816 Posts: 18
    Options
    I'm working towards a Ph.D. in English, concentration in Composition & Rhetoric. I just finished my first year of coursework and I'm absolutely loving it! I have a BA in English literature that I finished when I was 28 and I finished my MA in English when I was 30. I began my Ph.D. last year. Took me a while to get going, but once I buckled down to finish my BA, I decided to just keep going as far as I could go. Don't stop til you get enough ;)
  • stronglikebull
    Options
    i will FINALLY have my BA in 12 days. it's taken me 7 years since i graduated high school and i'm heading straight back for my MA in the fall. contemplating whether a PhD is going to be worth it/i will have what it takes. i think 9 years in college will be enough for me but one never knows what lies around the bend!
  • bellesouth18
    bellesouth18 Posts: 1,070 Member
    Options
    Congratulations to everyone pursing their PhD's. I just finished my MSN in Nursing education and really want to pursue my PhD in Nursing. I am a 42 year old male, so I am not sure if I am too old to begin the journey or not. Any suggestions?

Do it! Don't wait too long and definitely don't let your age stop you. I didn't get my B.S. until I was 54. It was a challenge, especially dealing with an aging parent (my mother, now 85).
  • r1ghtpath
    r1ghtpath Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    if you want to teach nursing at an accredited school it's pretty much requirement. you can start teaching but, you'll only get so many years to not only finish your PhD but also publish....... so, if you know that's what you want to do ( not just clinical instruction but actual classroom teaching) you might as well :-) you might find a school that will hire you and help you pay for it at the same time........
    Congratulations to everyone pursing their PhD's. I just finished my MSN in Nursing education and really want to pursue my PhD in Nursing. I am a 42 year old male, so I am not sure if I am too old to begin the journey or not. Any suggestions?
  • KeriW626
    KeriW626 Posts: 430
    Options
    Im jealous of you all. I got as far as my dual B.S high honors. in sociology and psycology. My family asked that I stop school and spend time with them. I also worked full time, got my bs in 3.5 yrs. I would love to return to school and get my phd. in Native American history. No I am not native american, just a very intresting subject. I continue to do research on what ever the wind blows my way.
  • r1ghtpath
    r1ghtpath Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    JD here (Juris Doctorate). I'm considering going back for a Masters in Accounting, which would put me at 9 years of college.

Someone earlier said JD is the equivalent of a PhD in law, but that's not quite right; it is a doctoral degree, but it isn't the advanced degree for law. The advanced degree is LLM or "Master of Laws," and requires a specialization. E.g. LLM Tax, LLM Litigation, LLM Intellectual Property, etc.

Clearly, I also mastered in unsolicited assvice. :bigsmile:

Thanks for the clarification! I just assumed that the J.D. students at Starbucks at 3am at the table next to us were in it for the same long haul. LOL

It's still 3 years of torture, then another 12 weeks to X years (however long it takes to pass the bar) of endless emotional and psychological pain. It doesn't go on years and years like a PhD, but it's a lot crammed into a very short period of time.

Not to say that either one is harder than the other, they're just different. Both incredibly mentally and physically challenging, may change who you are as a person, and will change your life when complete.

my ex got his bachelors, then masters, then PhD. boom boom boom, one right after another. he was done before he was 30. it changed him in HUGE ways!!! i fell in love with him during his bachelors, and at the end of his masters beginning of the PhD the changes had begun ( but weren't huge yet). by the time he was done and had defended, he was a totally different person and we were married, moved many states away from our families, and had 1.5 kids.........

his whole family has advanced degrees. 3 PhDs, one masters, and one masters and J.D. i have my bachelors and i never had the desire to go back for more. in my field if you want advanced degrees it's because you want to teach or be administration, i never wanted either of those things. so, they would make fun of me. saying things like " well, you dropped out of school." it wasn't fun.
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    Bachelor, Master in Geology and PhD in Geophysics. I know, I must be nuts!

I'm getting my master's in geophysics currently.
  • Ocarina
    Ocarina Posts: 1,550 Member
    Options
    You guys are all awesome!!
    I'm completing my B in Accounting then going on to either a MBA or CPA/Masters in Accounting.
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    So much educational awesomeness in this thread!