Paleo - Pros/Cons

Options

Replies

• SuperCork
    SuperCork Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    People on Paleo drink wine and tequila.

That's a surprise. Wine is a product of agriculture created long after the Paleolithic era was over. Isn't that contrary to the paleo philosophy?

There is a variation of paleo called primal--basically, it's not possible to totally live like we did 10,000+ years ago because...well, duh. So, there are some modern things that can be worked in in MODERATION.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options

That's a surprise. Wine is a product of agriculture created long after the Paleolithic era was over. Isn't that contrary to the paleo philosophy?

There is a variation of paleo called primal--basically, it's not possible to totally live like we did 10,000+ years ago because...well, duh. So, there are some modern things that can be worked in in MODERATION.

Like protein powder sold by Mark Sission?
  • Jipples
    Jipples Posts: 663 Member
    Options

Enlighten us, what makes a food group either legitimate or illegitimate?

Grain.pngop4_equals.jpgavatar_b8e75f8860a1_128.png

LOL. BEST RESPONSE OF THE THREAD. Poor emo Jon Snow.

Please quit being a horrible vicious personal attacker. Geez

Come on, he's part of the Night's Watch. He can take it!

I'm still trying to figure out how this is a "personal" attack.

I thought it was referencing an earlier post, when someone said I personally attacked them because I replied to something they said.

It was.

See, I get you :)

You had me at vicious......you had me at vicious
  • SuperCork
    Options
    So this intro from Wikipedia is wrong?

Seriously? You don't think it's possible for Wikipedia to be wrong? I really hope you are not a student citing from Wikipedia...
  • Sapporo
    Sapporo Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    Con - apparently Paleo makes people crabby.
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options

That's amusing actually. Isn't he preaching avoidance of processed foods yet he sells his own protein powder?
  • RonSwanson66
    RonSwanson66 Posts: 1,150 Member
    Options

protein-powder-hunt.jpg
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options

That's amusing actually. Isn't he preaching avoidance of processed foods yet he sells his own protein powder?

He lies on the product description about it as well
  • RonSwanson66
    Options

Sisson is nothing but a supplement shill who saw the paleo bandwagon as way to make a buck.
  • SuperCork
    Options

Zing...? You obviously read what I wrote or you could not have responded as you did. Anyway, think what you will about Sisson (I don't promote any brand without being paid to do so), he's not the only person expounded such ideas. But beyond whether he or they is ultimately wrong, the most important thing is what is right or wrong for the individual: human evolution comes in both the macro and micro varieties.
  • SuperCork
    Options

Sisson is nothing but a supplement shill who saw the paleo bandwagon as way to make a buck.

And the American dream lives on...
  • Jipples
    Options
    So I take it we're no longer discussing the pros/cons of paleo?

To get back on topic for a sec......

Con - I miss beer nights with my buddies. :sad:
  • RonSwanson66
    Options

And writing your own rules is part of the template.
    Also moderation = excuse. Plain and simple.

Today's word is "Cognitive Dissonance"

Can you say "Cognitive Dissonance"?

I bet you can.
  • SuperCork
    Options
    Why are the anti-paleo people so against it, I'm curious? No ones saying you have to eat this way too.

Exactly. There are pros and cons to every single eating philosophy and studies to back them up...do what's right for you, as opposed to worrying about BEING right period. That's not realistic.

Topics riding off the rails like this are exactly why I generally avoid the forums--why do I fall for it?
  • SuperCork
    Options
    Today's word is "Cognitive Dissonance"

That's a phrase.
  • Jipples
    Options
    Why are the anti-paleo people so against it, I'm curious? No ones saying you have to eat this way too.

Exactly. There are pros and cons to every single eating philosophy and studies to back them up...do what's right for you, as opposed to worrying about BEING right period. That's not realistic.

Topics riding off the rails like this are exactly why I generally avoid the forums--why do I fall for it?

Cognitive dissonance?
  • pattyproulx
    pattyproulx Posts: 603 Member
    Options
    20659123.jpg

(Disclaimer: I'm assuming you're the guy in your avatar - and yes I understand I may be looking into this too much - I don't know what it is about these discussions that suck me in. )

I'd be willing to bet a lot of money that you've never been fat. You're more likely one of those guys that has a harder time putting on weight than losing it. Of course you'd think dropping grains is ridiculous because you've never had to deal with needing to lose weight (though weight loss isn't necessarily the only reason people drop grains).

Soooo much of body composition is genetics. How our body reacts to carbs, how our appetite plays a part in our eating, etc, so much of it comes down to genetics.

So then when people who have had problems with weight loss go out and find something that works for them that may seem extreme to you, people like you belittle them because they don't have a body like yours and you think it's ridiculous for them to go to that extreme to try and feel better about themselves. You think that because you were able to get your body the way it is while eating grains, anyone could.

It doesn't work like that (unfortunately for me). I don't have a six pack (yet at least), but I can assure you that nothing's brought me closer to it than going 'Primal'.
  • bluebird321
    bluebird321 Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    Pros

It's worked well for me up to this point.

Cons

Your mileage may vary.

The only way to know for sure is to experiment and give it a try. If it doesn't work, then no big deal -- do something else.
  • mdkc1986
    mdkc1986 Posts: 2
    Options
    I have issues with acid reflux, therefore I would be concerned about giving up bread or crackers.
  • KBGirts
    KBGirts Posts: 882 Member
    Options
    Dear OP,

If you are interested in Paleo, talk to so people who have tried it with success. Once you decide to try it, you will quickly find that it's impossible to start a discussion in the regular forum regarding Paleo, Primal, or low carb without starting everything you see above (and immediately following).