Is there anyone here who isn't/wasn't a "sad" fat person?

Options

Replies

• 1Kristine1
    1Kristine1 Posts: 697 Member
    Options
    HAHA. I just hate jerks.
    ISFJ here
    Nurturer
  • Starrynights1107
    Starrynights1107 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    If you can't see yourself beyond weight, you'll never be happy.

Very true and if that's the case, even if you were to lose the weight that little voice inside telling you you aren't good enough will always find something else to pick on. Being unhappy is not a weight problem.
  • 1Kristine1
    Options

Very true and if that's the case, even if you were to lose the weight that little voice inside telling you you aren't good enough will always find something else to pick on. Being unhappy is not a weight problem.
    I find happiness is the most worth-while pursuit. I am naturally pretty negative, I struggle everyday to be optimistic. But I try to appreciate something everyday. I avoid telling myself "I can't do this" or "I am not pretty enough" or "my butt looks big" it just gets you down. And who wants to make themselves feel crappy?
  • Vailara
    Vailara Posts: 2,454 Member
    Options
    It's great to see this thread! I'm another one who started off not hating her body. I don't find fat unattractive on other people, so why should I on myself? I do feel more shy about my body than when I was slim, but that's because I know other people find it unattractive or even repulsive. I don't feel so shy with my boyfriend because I know he thinks it's great!

I like the big, cuddly, voluptuous, pillowyness of my fat body. I'm losing weight because I'm trying to get healthier and fitter. If it was as easy for me to be healthy and fit in a fat body, I wouldn't mind staying fat. What got me into weight loss was that I was finding exercise difficult while carrying the extra weight around.

I sometimes find that when celebrities lose weight, I like the way they looked before. In fact, in some of the success stories here I think the people looked great to start with, and I'm not just talking about the ones who started off slimmer anyway!

I've been thinking about this a lot. When I watch TV programmes where people have lost weight, somebody always seems to say something like "You won't be that (i.e. fat) person again" and I want to shout "It's still the same person!" I hate the idea that your good qualities are somehow negated because you're fat. I hate the whole thing of looking down on the "before" person.
  • Starrynights1107
    Options
    I would love to see this thread overlaid with the 'personality type' thread.. just out of curiosity... I expect there might be some correlation, I don't know for sure though.

On topic, good on you!! I have always felt even more weak for caring so much about my weight and putting so much focus on it :)

That's a great idea @the personality type thread. INTJ for me :)
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,667 Member
    Options
    Just to add: there are very "skinny" people who are sad, depressed and unhappy. Sadness comes from dissatisfaction of one's life in general.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer/Group Fitness Instructor
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • 1Kristine1
    Options
    "You won't be that (i.e. fat) person again" and I want to shout "It's still the same person!" I hate the idea that your good qualities are somehow negated because you're fat.

Love this btw
  • Starrynights1107
    Options
    Just to add: there are very "skinny" people who are sad, depressed and unhappy. Sadness comes from dissatisfaction of one's life in general.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer/Group Fitness Instructor
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

Thanks. That is actually one of my points :). Dissatisfaction isn't a "fat" problem.
  • osualex
    osualex Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    I didn't/don't love my body but I think I am attractive otherwise and I wasn't/am not sad. I've hated my body at 120 pounds so I know it's not actually my body, but my mind! I've had friends that have been really torn up about being overweight to the point that they refuse to go out. It's so sad! Life does not begin when you are skinny! I know I don't have a perfect body, but that's okay, because I am more than my weight.
  • Starrynights1107
    Options
    It's great to see this thread! I'm another one who started off not hating her body. I don't find fat unattractive on other people, so why should I on myself? I do feel more shy about my body than when I was slim, but that's because I know other people find it unattractive or even repulsive. I don't feel so shy with my boyfriend because I know he thinks it's great!

I like the big, cuddly, voluptuous, pillowyness of my fat body. I'm losing weight because I'm trying to get healthier and fitter. If it was as easy for me to be healthy and fit in a fat body, I wouldn't mind staying fat. What got me into weight loss was that I was finding exercise difficult while carrying the extra weight around.

I sometimes find that when celebrities lose weight, I like the way they looked before. In fact, in some of the success stories here I think the people looked great to start with, and I'm not just talking about the ones who started off slimmer anyway!

I've been thinking about this a lot. When I watch TV programmes where people have lost weight, somebody always seems to say something like "You won't be that (i.e. fat) person again" and I want to shout "It's still the same person!" I hate the idea that your good qualities are somehow negated because you're fat. I hate the whole thing of looking down on the "before" person.

I can relate to every point you made :)<3
  • Starrynights1107
    Options
    I didn't/don't love my body but I think I am attractive otherwise and I wasn't/am not sad. I've hated my body at 120 pounds so I know it's not actually my body, but my mind! I've had friends that have been really torn up about being overweight to the point that they refuse to go out. It's so sad! Life does not begin when you are skinny! I know I don't have a perfect body, but that's okay, because I am more than my weight.

You are so fortunate to realize what some people never do @not your body but your mind and being more than your weight.
  • 1Kristine1
    Options
    I like this topic :flowerforyou:
  • Umeboshi
    Umeboshi Posts: 1,637 Member
    Options
    "You won't be that (i.e. fat) person again" and I want to shout "It's still the same person!" I hate the idea that your good qualities are somehow negated because you're fat.

Love this btw

Yes! Love this!
  • slkehl
    slkehl Posts: 3,801 Member
    Options
    My mom used to be close to overweight and after crazy dieting she's slightly underweight. She feels people treat her different, and not in a good way.
  • fluffysexyme
    fluffysexyme Posts: 104 Member
    Options

Exactly. A weight problem is often times hiding deeper issues.
  • Starrynights1107
    Options

Love this btw

Yes! Love this!

I knew we were friends for a reason ;) lol
  • Nataliaho
    Nataliaho Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    OK, so far my sample of two has proven my hypothesis. I wonder if Introverts have a greater ability to be happy in oneself. I wonder this because as a true extrovert, I know that one of the really negative attributes I have is really really caring what anyone and everyone thinks of me. I really get my power, reassurance, confidence etc externally to myself. Its dumb...
  • TheBraveryLover
    TheBraveryLover Posts: 1,217 Member
    Options
    I have never had self-confidence issues for an extended period of time. A lot of people here are very down on themselves, and I just cannot relate. I feel bad for them, and am glad they're doing something to change it, though.

But, yeah, OP, although my body was never significantly overweight (although I suppose that's subjective), when I was at my heaviest, I still got hit on regularly, dated a lot, went to many social events, was gregarious, etc. I've never been the "woe is me" type no matter what the situation. If I'm sad about something, I do something immediately to change it; I rarely complain about things I can control in my life.
  • elcyclista
    elcyclista Posts: 393
    Options
    I was pretty chubby when I was at the age of 10 ish or 11. After the age of 13 I lost all that excess weight.

I was also a bit sad but I'm okay now. :]
  • Starrynights1107
    Options
    I started out sad/depressed but not because I hated myself.

I'd had 3 miscarriages in 2yrs and the only 'thing' the doctors put it down to was my weight.

Understood and I'm sorry to hear that.