what to eat with sauerkraut other then hot dogs?

Options

Replies

• MiraGonz
    MiraGonz Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Turkey sausage
  • interceptor311
    interceptor311 Posts: 980 Member
    Options
    I have a big container of sauerkraut and want to eat it but I grew up eating it with mayo and ketchup on hot dogs. To many calories that way. Any ideas?

More hot dogs ;-)
  • Kerri_is_so_very
    Kerri_is_so_very Posts: 1,005 Member
    Options
    pork chops/kraut/ cut up granny smith apples in a crock pot (put the pork chops in frozen in the morning and they will delicious when you get home!!!)...also turkey sausage :)
  • moodymarble
    moodymarble Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Mmmm mmmm mmmm..... I make a mean pot of sauerkraut soup!! Not really low cal but it's damn good!!!
  • poodlelaise
    poodlelaise Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Reuben!! Reubens are soooooo good!

Yes, but make it a turkey Reuben, less fat than the corned beef.
  • douglasmobbs
    douglasmobbs Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    Have it with some pork/ham/gammon in a wrap or pita bread
  • Val_from_OH
    Val_from_OH Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    I grew up with sauerkraut and pork tenderloin simmering all day in a crock pot.
    ^^ This!

I also like this recipe.
    http://www.rachaelraymag.com/recipes/rachael-ray-magazine-recipe-search/budget-recipes/german-potato-pie
  • dup32
    dup32 Posts: 68
    Options
    I'm surprised noone has mentioned this... Maybe I am the only one who likes it this way... on Pizza with ham or canadian bacon..
    Very yummy
  • Ninatoots
    Ninatoots Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    a Rueban sandwich!
  • firesoforion
    firesoforion Posts: 1,017 Member
    Options
    Well, if you're looking for a lower calorie hot dog, you can get Hebrew National 97% fat free hot dogs for about 50 calories each. Forgo the bun and just have kraut with the actual hot dog part and it's not too bad.

I also second the pierogi idea though I'm not sure that's much better calorie wise.

You can also follow Polish McDonalds's lead and do a "Polski Specjal," which is a hamburger with sour kraut, onions and mustartd. :wink: :wink: :wink:
  • Bug207
    Bug207 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Turkey or veggie sausages.
  • Ninatoots
    Ninatoots Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    be careful! Rueban Sandwiches are high calorie!
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    Wow, no one mentioned polish sausage? We cut up lite polish sausage and put it in the crock pot in the kraut. That's how everyone I know in MI eats it LOL.
  • Im_NotPerfect
    Im_NotPerfect Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    Here in WI we eat it with Bratwurst. My husband eats it with Polska Kielbasa. A lot of other people eat it with corned beef too.
  • TheAnie
    TheAnie Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    We've always eaten it with pork loin and mashed potatoes. Nommmm. I love sauerkraut, my husband hates it. hah
  • SueD66
    SueD66 Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    I bake kraut, potatoes and pork.... low and slow all day. Love kraut and taters. the pork i can take or leave. Now the chicken that sounds like a great idea. I'll have to try this one. Thanks for posting this and getting some great ideas
  • Tristis
    Tristis Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    Reuben? Turkey Kielbasa?
  • GermanicKnight
    Options
    I bake or boil pork chops or country ribs and put in my sauerkraut

^^^ This!
  • thebigcb
    thebigcb Posts: 2,210 Member
    Options
    Corned Beef(you call it brisket i think) or bratwurst
  • udallmom101
    udallmom101 Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    I make a casserole that tastes like my Mom's cabbage rolls. It is delicious! One of my favorite dishes!