How many days a week do you run?

Options

Replies

• dperich1968
    dperich1968 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    I run 4-5 days a week, running 3-5 miles. I am working up to a 10K distance and have been taking it a little slow. I run my second 5K this weekend and an 8K in mid-July. Only been running since January 2012 and started with the C25K, loved it.
  • kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    I've been running pretty regularly for about 4 years now. However I have pretty wonky knees (come-and-go tendinitis in one and plica band syndrome in the other) so I run 3-4 days a week (usually 12-20 miles/week) and bike 2 days a week (around 16-20 miles/week) usually to take some of the pressure off my knees. Biking is great cross-training though, I run faster the day after a good bike workout! I run half-marathons and am usually training for one at all times or maintaining for half-marathon fitness levels.
  • Sox90716
    Sox90716 Posts: 976 Member
    Options
    For the runners, where do you run for miles at a time? I live in a city with heavy traffic so I have been hitting the parks but still can't get the miles up there.
    Thanks

We have the Cowboy Trail. It is over 300 miles long. It's great for long training runs. There are nice lakeside trails and flat city paths with minimal traffic.
  • triski73
    triski73 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I have been running on and off for about 3 years. I tend to slack off in the winter, so I have done C25K twice now. Currently I'm trying to run at least 3x a week for at least 1.5 miles. I was up to 3-3.5 miles per run until I took a month off due to low back pain. I'm trying to increase my runs a little bit each time now...from 1 to 1.3 to 1.5 miles.

I have never really liked running, but I love the feeling of accomplishment when I'm done. I have often wondered what everyone else did on their "off" days. Currently I am doing pilates 2x a week, but I know that I need to really do some strength training as well.
  • Devona14
    Devona14 Posts: 171
    Options
    I just want to say that reading everyone's posts has inspired me. I started C25K in at the end of April/first of May. I'm just now on W4D3 as I had to repeat W3. I can't wait until I can graduate the program and be an experienced runner. I love it!
  • ZombieChaser
    ZombieChaser Posts: 1,555 Member
    Options
    For the runners, where do you run for miles at a time? I live in a city with heavy traffic so I have been hitting the parks but still can't get the miles up there.
    Thanks

I live in a small city, and there are nature trails everywhere - I actually have a difficult time running on a straight paved road lol...However, I will say that time of day might play a role in where you can run. Try to find a quiet suburb, park on the side of the street and get in the miles that way?
    Another thing that I do is a bridge-to-bridge, I run a circut from one to the other and loop back again. It works out to about 7.5K total. That's mostly on a paved road, but I make sure to keep it interesting and take the side streets ;)
  • Roadie2000
    Roadie2000 Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    I've been running off and on for years. I used to run 15-20 miles a week, 4-5 days a week, usually about 4-6 miles at a time. I've never liked longer distances, I get bored and my dog gets tired.

Right now I only run 1.5-2 miles 3-4 times a week as a warm up for lifting. Instead of increasing my distance I increase my speed.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,668 Member
    Options
    3 times and only for 2 miles.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer/Group Fitness Instructor
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • chrystee
    chrystee Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    I run 4x per week between 18-20 miles per week. I started about 4 years ago and the weight started coming off and now I'm addicted to it. Unfortunately, I was told to cut down (well actually to take a break), so now I'm looking for cardio that will not put pounding on my foot for a bit. Suggestions? Want to heal up fast, have a half marathon in October to train for!

spinning!
  • guardian419
    guardian419 Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    I just started couch to 5k, and do the 3x a week of that, along with a 1 1/2-2 mile run every tuesday with my command... feel pretty good, and hopefully getting the correct shoes soon so it won't hurt as much.
  • hcorbin29
    hcorbin29 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I just found out that I have a stress fracture in my right shin from too much running. My doctor advised that I only do biking, swimming, or elliptical. I've been biking on an exercise bike for about 60 - 90 minutes each night and feel like I'm still getting a good workout. Good luck!
  • HMVOL7409
    HMVOL7409 Posts: 1,588 Member
    Options
    Thanks

We have the Cowboy Trail. It is over 300 miles long. It's great for long training runs. There are nice lakeside trails and flat city paths with minimal traffic.

I live out in the country surrounded by bean/corn fields. Roads are not too busy and sometimes I see more tractors than cars on my favorite road.
  • mlb929
    mlb929 Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    3 days running, 2 biking. I use the run less run faster plan and log about 30-40 miles per week running on this plan. I also do yoga/tai chi and weights on my running days.
  • runmybunsoff
    runmybunsoff Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I started running in the beginning of March of this year, and fell IN LOVE with it. I always incorporate long walks with my run, so combined I do this anywhere from 3-5 times a week and 15 or more miles depending on how I'm feeling. I didn't use the C25k or anything, but built enough endurance to be able to run 5k at about 8 weeks into starting. I'm still slow, my PB so far was 39 min 5k, but I'm working on it and having a great time doing so! =D
  • cobaltis
    cobaltis Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I run 4x per week between 18-20 miles per week. I started about 4 years ago and the weight started coming off and now I'm addicted to it. Unfortunately, I was told to cut down (well actually to take a break), so now I'm looking for cardio that will not put pounding on my foot for a bit. Suggestions? Want to heal up fast, have a half marathon in October to train for!

Elliptical and Bikes are good alternatives, just have to push yourself :)
  • hyperkate
    hyperkate Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I run 3-4 times a week between 3-5 miles a run :-)
  • clohessy
    clohessy Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    I'm 60 years old I started running 2 years ago. I run 6 days a week for 5-6 miles. I love it never too old to start.
  • tsegears
    tsegears Posts: 94
    Options
    I started a run program Aug. 2011, and I've run in several 5k races, 1 8k race, and most recently a 10k race. I am registered to run another 10k in July. I run 3-5 times a week -- Mon. Wed. Friday, Sat. and some Sundays. During the week, I run 3 miles since I'm running on my lunch break, but on the weekends, I'm running between 5 - 7 miles. I usually throw in some cross training, i.e., strength training, spinning, and Zumba in between running and sometimes after running.

13107194.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
  • GetFitE
    GetFitE Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    I try to run 3x a week. My running distance will vary depending on my training. Currently I'm training for a 10K, so I do 2 30 minute interval runs and 1 long distance run day (aiming 4.5-6 miles depending on how much time I have that day).

I can get bored with running, so on my two 30 minute running days, I add something else to that day for extra cardio: like kickboxing, spinning, yoga, or walking.
  • clover5
    clover5 Posts: 1,643 Member
    Options
    Thanks

I live on the edge of a metro area. There are many trails throughout the area, some paved and some not.