what to eat with sauerkraut other then hot dogs?

Options

Replies

• geezer99
    geezer99 Posts: 92
    Options
    Székely Gulyás
    (See-kay Goulash)

A Hungarian dish which is like a thick soup
    http://www.kitchenrecipes.com/kitchen/recipes/Soups/22087.htm
    WAIT -- you are going to read the ingredients and freak out since it calls for lard, pork and sour cream.
    Just substitute a bit of olive oil to wilt the onions and cut up a turkey leg or chicken thighs for the meat. You can use low fat yogurt in place of the sour cream or just skip it.

Depending on your sauerkraut you may want to rinse it a bit before cooking, and my (Hungarian) wife would tell you to double or triple the paprika. To give you an idea about Hungarians and lard, our cook book recommends substituting butter if you are cooking for someone on a restricted diet!
  • Susabelle64
    Susabelle64 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    They have the lower cal chicken brats.........those are pretty good........make a Turkey Reuban..........
  • misanthropist319
    Options
    Definitely pork roast in the Crock Pot with some salt, pepper and butter. Delicious!
  • AggieLu
    AggieLu Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    Mashed potatoes and pork chops.
  • nelthebell
    Options
    Pork Chops are awesome with Kraut... also barts... and just as a side with a meal - love kraut!!!!
  • martadibell
    martadibell Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    You can put it in a salad and forgo any salad dressing.
  • PattyfromToledo
    PattyfromToledo Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    grilled pork tenderloins ... chicken hot dogs are pretty good... SAMS has a nice variety or you can find them in your local grocer...
  • ashleybrt
    ashleybrt Posts: 1
    Options
    Boneless pork roast in a crock pot
  • KrystieNye
    KrystieNye Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Try Kielbasa! (That's the only way I eat sauerkraut, and it's delicious!). They make a turkey kielbasa that is really good- that's usually the one I end up getting. My kids even love it!
  • Pheonix2012
    Pheonix2012 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I grew up eating it on a german sandwich with sunflower bread (healthy and relativly low in calories ) and Lean lebonese Bologna. just add the a little spicy mustard and your done!
  • Thesoundofwolf
    Thesoundofwolf Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    Sliced red potatoes in a skillet with some kielbasa (or any kind of 'sausage') was a favorite growing up.

Or toss it on top of a baked potato with some plain Greek yogurt.
  • sarah44254
    sarah44254 Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    SmartDogs Veggie Protein links are almost exactly like a generic hot dog, just with outstanding nutrition facts, considering what it is.

Calories 80
    Total Fat0g
    Saturated Fat 0g
    Trans Fat 0g
    Cholesterol 0mg
    Sodium 590mg
    Potassium 95mg
    Total Carbohydrate 3g
    Dietary Fiber 1g
    Sugars 2g
    Protein17g
  • Royaltvii
    Royaltvii Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Reuben!! Reubens are soooooo good!

I second that!
  • Mindywhitley
    Mindywhitley Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    How about a pork roast.
  • Hoakiebs
    Hoakiebs Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    Wienerschnitzel -- See recipe at http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Wienerschnitzel/
  • Marejane
    Marejane Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    For the summer:
    I add carrots, celery, onions, peppers(all chopped) pimento.
    Mix 1/3 oil, white wine vinegar 3/4 C Equal
    add to sauerkaut and vegetables.
    Marinate in refrigerator over night..so good and refreshing..
    google sauerkaut salads and you will see more choices..we like this one.
  • LessJos
    LessJos Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Well, born and raised Bavarian here... If we know anything it's beer, sausages and sauerkraut ;-) Here are some ideas:

make some spaetzle (Smitten Kitchen has a recipe or google it) and toss them with the sauerkraut.

with Bratwurst (like this http://www.seriouseats.com/2012/05/the-food-lab-the-best-way-to-grill-sausages.html)

very nice is also a sauerkraut-ground beef casserole: fry ground beef, add sauerkraut, pepper, paperika and then layer it with cooked sliced potatoes and sour cream in casserole dish and top with mozzarella or gruyere cheese. Bake until cheese is golden brown.

sauerkraut is also good in goulash: pork or stew beef (or both), bell peppers, tomato paste or sauce and sauerkraut, all goes in the crockpot for 6-8 hours.

there are also sauerkraut salads but I would rather use green cabbage instead but if that sounds interesting google it :-)

Very important though for anything with sauerkraut, add some caraway seeds. Great for flavour and it helps your body digest the kraut better. Well, that's what my grandmother told me and I am sticking to that!!!
  • blynn2708
    blynn2708 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Pork chops! Brown them, then *kitten* the sauerkraut and simmer!! Delish:bigsmile:
  • GCNerd
    GCNerd Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Bump. My boy just bought a huge jar of the stuff and I've never known what to do with it.
  • SCR56
    SCR56 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Chicken Sausage with Potatoes and sauerkraut

1 1/2 teaspoon(s) extra-virgin olive oil
    6 cooked chicken sausage, halved lengthwise and cut into 2- to 3-inch pieces
    1 small onion, thinly sliced
    2 small Yukon Gold potatoes, halved and cut into 1/4-inch slices
    3/4 cup(s) sauerkraut, rinsed
    3/4 cup(s) dry white wine
    1/4 teaspoon(s) freshly ground pepper
    1/8 teaspoon(s) caraway seeds
    1/2 bay leaf

Directions

Heat oil in a medium skillet over medium heat. Add sausage and onion and cook, stirring frequently, until beginning to brown, about 4 minutes. Add potatoes, sauerkraut, wine, pepper, caraway seeds, and bay leaf; bring to a simmer. Cover and cook, stirring occasionally, until the potatoes are tender and most of the liquid has evaporated, 10 to 15 minutes. Remove the bay leaf before serving.

I use chicken broth instead of wine