Is this common sense? Running outside >>>>> treadmill

Options
I just had to come here and say- I've recently started running again. This time, though, since I can't afford a gym atm, I've been running outside

WOW, it's a ton harder. I encourage anyone who runs, to actually hit the pavement. You'll find a much more challenging experience

Replies

• michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    It's so much more rewarding if you ask me. The dreadmill makes me want to shoot myself in the head. Outside I get to look at beautiful scenery, people-watch, feel the elements, breathe the fresh air, and see how far I went... so good...
  • JoolieW68
    JoolieW68 Posts: 1,879 Member
    Options
    Yes, it is harder since you A) have nothing to 'pace' you like the treadmill does, B) have to step around, over things like curbs, rocks, etc, C) nothing is 'moving' you like the belt on the treadmill does.

It's definitely a better workout if all you're doing is running.

Personally, I prefer the treadmill most days as I do inclined intervals a lot.
  • iluvprettyshoes
    iluvprettyshoes Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    True dat!!! I agree wholeheartedly! I do both. And I'll tell you after running on a treadmill exclusively during the winter that first time back outside was a *****!!!!
  • JoolieW68
    JoolieW68 Posts: 1,879 Member
    Options
  • BronnersHarris
    BronnersHarris Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    Normally a treadmill runner as only just starting out but going to hit it outside tomorrow if it's not raining as getting a little bored in the gym. Looking forward to the change in pace.
  • Jxnsmma
    Jxnsmma Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    totally!
  • runnercheryl
    runnercheryl Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    I only run outside, so far.

I'm starting to plan ahead for winter, and trying to find a pay-as-you-go gym specifically for the icy or very rainy days. I'm looking forward to experiencing the treadmill for the difference, but I know outdoor running will always be my choice.
  • mtneerjk81
    mtneerjk81 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    running for pleasure...definitely outside!

running for a workout...definitely on a treadmill.
  • Mama_Jag
    Mama_Jag Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    Oddly enough, I find it to be the opposite. I tend to run faster with greater ease outside. But then, I have always been a little different... :wink:
  • TylerJ76
    TylerJ76 Posts: 4,375 Member
    Options
    I'm fairly certain that I am in the minority when I say I prefer the treadmill.
  • scs143
    scs143 Posts: 2,190 Member
    Options
    True dat!!! I agree wholeheartedly! I do both. And I'll tell you after running on a treadmill exclusively during the winter that first time back outside was a *****!!!!

This! It's so different. I prefer outside though. I am going to run on the treadmill tonight and every minute seems like it takes 5 mins to pass. Outside, my runs go so fast!
  • BigDave1050
    BigDave1050 Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    I like the Dreadmill for running. I watch TV and music videos as I'm on there.

Outside I prefer to be walking or running a Trail somwewhere. Cant really do that though unless I get in the car and drive a ways.
  • Sox90716
    Sox90716 Posts: 976 Member
    Options
    I only resort to the treadmill if it is dangerously icy out.
  • thepiratemd
    Options
    treadmill is excellent for keeping trck of speed, calories, etc, and controlling hills
  • cediyam
    cediyam Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    Oddly enough, I find it to be the opposite. I tend to run faster with greater ease outside. But then, I have always been a little different... :wink:

I am the same. I run faster outside. I used the treadmill once and it took me so much longer to run the same distance. I did not care too much for the 'bounce'. lol
  • arykh24
    arykh24 Posts: 64
    Options
    i AM ALSO OPPOSITE!I feel like treadmill running is harder than outside running!
  • auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Options
    I'm a numbers person, I like the treadmill because I can 'see' the progress in digital sticks that tell me the how far, how long and how high...

... but I hate making myself go to the gym some days, so I'm more than happy to strap on my shoes and take off like a goofy antelope around the neighborhood.
  • andymf85
    andymf85 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I just had to come here and say- I've recently started running again. This time, though, since I can't afford a gym atm, I've been running outside

WOW, it's a ton harder. I encourage anyone who runs, to actually hit the pavement. You'll find a much more challenging experience
    It's funny you say "hit the pavement" as that's the only part of running outside I hate. I much prefer the nice "give" of an outdoor track... but I'd still take the pavement over an indoor treadmill or track.
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    I have issues with treadmills because I have a tendency to fall off of them.

So outside FTW.
  • definitelyval
    definitelyval Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I am in agreement! I started running in 2010 before I got pregnant again, and on the treadmill I was easily running 2 miles. Outside? Without the cushiness of the treadmill?? Thought I was gonna die! Now, I'm adapting, and liking it outside so much better. And, I DO feel like I am accomplishing something more.