How to survive on 40-50 dollars per month on food.

Options
1151617181921»

Replies

• LaLaB0
    LaLaB0 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Don't forget to check out your local food co-op! I contribute $15 and receive a huge amount of fresh fruits and veg every week, enough to feed our family of 5 for at least a week. Try a google search to find one in your area, you probably have one near you.
  • californiansun
    californiansun Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    I live in Clovis too!!
    Do you shop at the 99 cents store ever? I only ever shop there and at the farmer's market downtown. For a family of 3 we spend about $200 a month on food. The 99 cents store in our city always as super awsome deals on name brand food all the time. I bought Tazo Organic Green Tea (the ones in the glass bottles) 4 for a buck! They always have the lean cuisine meals I take for lunch! I JUST bought some Fiber One Oat bars 2 boxes for $1 and 4 packs of Dan-O-Nino for $1 each.
    I go to the (( centss tore and see what they have an plan meals arround that.

When we had a membership I also went to Sam's Club. The one in Fresno has fresh chicken breast $1.99 a pound. It comes in huge packs, but for $11, it's all we need for the month, so if it's just you then you'd be set for a while!

I go to the 99 cent store on occasion! I haven't really looked around though. The one I visited had a lot of expired things, so I don't really trust it lol

I forgot about Sams Club! I'm a big Costco person :p Smart and Final has good deals too! :) I went to the FM downtown once, and they didn't have much! :( It's probably changed since the last time I went! :D Ill check it out!
  • californiansun
    Options
    honestly, don't purchase bread. you DON'T need it. You can get your whole grain needs with things like lentils, barley, etc. Make lots of soup. Canned beans are great, cheap and full of protein. Don't purchase meat if you are on that tight of a budget (it's super expensive). Frozen veggies are just as good as fresh if you steam them. Dairy is also expensive. Bananas and apples are relatively inexpensive compared to other fruits.

The cheapest way to cut back on grocery costs is to go vegan and get your protein/iron needs from beans

I buy bread because I take my lunch to my college... so PB and honey/banana sandwiches are pretty easy! :p
  • californiansun
    Options
    Don't forget to check out your local food co-op! I contribute $15 and receive a huge amount of fresh fruits and veg every week, enough to feed our family of 5 for at least a week. Try a google search to find one in your area, you probably have one near you.

I've looked at it! :) I just won't be able to eat it all in a week lol.
  • californiansun
    Options
    Tofu is yummy in almost anything!

This is a website with a load of recipe ideas using "real food" (not processed, fruits and veggies). If nothing else, I'm sure it can give you some recipe ideas and you can modify them to fit your budget.

http://www.100daysofrealfood.com/real-food-resources/#dinner

I've tried tofu and it just doesn't sit well with me! Maybe I can try it again! Thanks for the website, I enjoy it1 )
  • californiansun
    Options
    Where the heck do you live? I want to move there....(In reference to getting all that for such LOW prices!!)

Fresno/Clovis, CA :)

lol that explains it - everything is grown down there. No wonder I am envious of the prices!

Yeah! I love it here! :)
  • kbuelo
    kbuelo Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    YAY! I love this post and the ideas people have! Fabulous goal to cut the grocery bill. $50/ mo was probably my budget in college (2001-2004) and I didn't eat fast food/processed food very often. And now I'm a vegetarian. So here are some of my tips (though I'm sure you're way more of an expert than me!)

- Big batches of Indian one-pot meals, and freeze leftovers in little containers for later. I like to do this for portion-control purposes more than anything! I made this the other day plus added a can of chickpeas. Super cheap and made a TON. http://www.food.com/recipe/aloo-gobi-84324

- I freeze leftover wine (if there is any - haha) and coffee in icecube trays. The wine cubes for recipes later (you know when they say "1TBS white wine"), the coffee for DIY frappachinos.

- Chickpea hummus is my fav to have on hand. Easy to make and goes with lots of things.. carrots/celery, on bread, with crackers, in a pita with falafel. Chickpeas are my fav food, they are so versatile!

- This is prob a no-brainer but I make my grocery list/menu plan based on things I need to use up and put as few things as possible on the list.

- Breakfast-for-dinner like pancakes and eggs, omelets using whatever tiny little portions of leftover veggies you've got, eggs and toast.. el cheap

- Concur on the Farmers Market but also if you go later in the day they will slash prices or be more likely to give it away for free.

I'm sure I'll think of more.. :)
  • californiansun
    Options
    YAY! I love this post and the ideas people have! Fabulous goal to cut the grocery bill. $50/ mo was probably my budget in college (2001-2004) and I didn't eat fast food/processed food very often. And now I'm a vegetarian. So here are some of my tips (though I'm sure you're way more of an expert than me!)

- Big batches of Indian one-pot meals, and freeze leftovers in little containers for later. I like to do this for portion-control purposes more than anything! I made this the other day plus added a can of chickpeas. Super cheap and made a TON. http://www.food.com/recipe/aloo-gobi-84324

- I freeze leftover wine (if there is any - haha) and coffee in icecube trays. The wine cubes for recipes later (you know when they say "1TBS white wine"), the coffee for DIY frappachinos.

- Chickpea hummus is my fav to have on hand. Easy to make and goes with lots of things.. carrots/celery, on bread, with crackers, in a pita with falafel. Chickpeas are my fav food, they are so versatile!

- This is prob a no-brainer but I make my grocery list/menu plan based on things I need to use up and put as few things as possible on the list.

- Breakfast-for-dinner like pancakes and eggs, omelets using whatever tiny little portions of leftover veggies you've got, eggs and toast.. el cheap

- Concur on the Farmers Market but also if you go later in the day they will slash prices or be more likely to give it away for free.

I'm sure I'll think of more.. :)

Thank you!!! Love your wine and coffee ideas! :D
  • jogglesngoggles
    jogglesngoggles Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    To save money on fresh produce try going to a farmer's market! You can buy a TON of produce for super cheap.

^^^This!! dry beans in bulk, soak them, you can use them as staples for everything! Good luck!
  • misschubbybutterfly
    Options
    I don't want to thread jack, but what's a food co op?
  • californiansun
    Options
    I don't want to thread jack, but what's a food co op?

From what I understand, it's where local farmers in the area put together a produce box. TD Willey Farms does this in town. Just google. :)