Groceries $$

Options

Replies

• scythswife
    scythswife Posts: 1,123 Member
    Options
    How much do you spend on groceries per month?

Please also include your calorie target and whether you are a meat eater, pescatarian, vegetarian, or vegan.

I spend around $600 a month for a family of 6 with 3 of those being boys. lol calorie target is set at 1560 right now although i rarely get there. We are meat eaters here.
  • xTwK
    xTwK Posts: 121
    Options
    Some people need to take in account where you live can and does greatly affect food prices.

Did I ever say that I didn't understand that? No seriously, can you look at what I said and accurately make a judgment to whether or not I understand that location makes prices vary.

I've lived in and traveled to most of the lower 48, I think I understand very well that prices vary depending on where you live. People on this website are so uptight about every living thing; I was stating that a lot of people from what it sounds like are buying wants rather than needs. Not to mention that a lot of people are using meat as an excuse for what they're spending so much. Sorry, but no matter where you live there are deals for everything, shop smart and you can take advantage of those deals.
  • Chowder_17
    Chowder_17 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    We aim to spend about $125 a week for a family of four, but that includes diaper, pet supplies, tolietrees. I like to plan my meals out for the week and aim to have them based on what's on sale. We don't really eat fast food or go out to eat.

*This doesn't include alcohol, lol
  • Ocarina
    Ocarina Posts: 1,550 Member
    Options
    We are vegetarians (2) and mostly organic food from the local Coop here. Some isn't because I can't justify the insane pricing but it is all natural at the very least. Looks like it will be about $500 a month for two people. This includes cleaning supplies, hygiene care, and other household necessities. Also every meal is different every night! Cleaning products are not organic sadly haha.

Before this I was an omnivore who ate whatever was cheapest... as was husband. We never ate anything boxed and each meal is different every night. Including the non food essentials it was approx $350-400 a month but I was constantly grossed out by the meat and a bit weird-ed out by some things we got.

These are both if we plan a different dinner every night seven days a week. Usually one or two get cut for holidays/entertainment night out.

I'm much happier now with what we have. The price has gone up but with a good budget you can move things around or control extra money. Our entertainment fund is very low - $80 a month. This includes movies, restaurants, ect. Not our personal money which is separated from all of this.

We make less then $40k a year and save just fine. Just the way to live when you are debt free. I'm also very happy to be directly interacting with the local economy instead of the national/international. Very cool!
  • jenny95662
    jenny95662 Posts: 997 Member
    Options
    we eat meat and lots of veggies. I spend about 500 a month for my husband me and 2 kids
  • ilovesparkle
    ilovesparkle Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I spend about $150-200 a month for once person. I eat mostly fresh stuff, so it can be a little more expensive. And I eat meat when I can.

I'm on about 1500 calories a day, depending on if I decide to eat my burn.
  • MelHoneyRocks
    Options
    $800 a month, we buy fresh produce from our local farmers markets which total about $50 a week which is included. There are 2 of us. I eat roughly 1800 calories per day, my fiance doubles that easily as he has a physically demanding job. We dont eat out at all, so this includes breakfast, lunch and dinners.
  • 714rah714
    714rah714 Posts: 759 Member
    Options
    I've got two things going against me, first I live in New York, not the cheapest place in the world, second, my supermarket has a sushi chef, not the cheapest food in the world. Add all of that up and I spend $100+ a week on food for myself, eating 1900 calories a day.
  • montana_girl
    montana_girl Posts: 1,403 Member
    Options
    How much do you spend on groceries per month?

Please also include your calorie target and whether you are a meat eater, pescatarian, vegetarian, or vegan.

We spent about $400-500 a month for two adults.

My calorie goal is 1585 and hubby's is 2290... we're both meat eaters but have tried vegetarian and vegan meals.
  • jboccio90
    jboccio90 Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    We spend around 530 for a family of 3. I do give plates of food to my bfs friend that is practically homeless daily.

I eat 1200-1600, I have a two year old and I dont know how many cals my bf consumes. And we eat meat once a day.
  • AmyM713
    AmyM713 Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    $400 a month, family of five, meat eaters, I eat around 2000 cals a day.
  • kylee_marie
    kylee_marie Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    we spend about $700 a month for family of 3. we will eat anything but i buy a lot of good quality meats and all our veggies are from the farmers market. my calorie target is under 1600
  • Jay_Jay_
    Jay_Jay_ Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    100+ a week for myself usually. I can manage 80 if there are good sales or if I really take the time to look at prices, but its usually not worth the time. I eat a ketogenic diet so I can't buy any cheap carby fillers, everything is meat, vegetables and nuts. aka the stuff that gets overpriced at grocery stores. I eat between 1500-2000 calories a day with a 65/30/5 f/p/c macro.
  • Bakerchk
    Bakerchk Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    I spend $300-$400. I shop every Friday, this way I can make sure I always have fresh veggies and fruits. I'm a meat eater. My calorie intake is 1400, but I workout almost everyday, so it ends up being around 1500-1600. On a budget, I can get away with spending $250 or so.
  • alli_baba
    alli_baba Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Around $250 for 2 adults. I eat around 2,000 calories and husband eats around 2,800. I shop mainly at Costco, Trader Joes, farmers' markets, and my own backyard fruit and vegetable garden :-)

Edit: We're omnivores.
  • SalishSea
    SalishSea Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    I easily spend $600/month on groceries. Mind you, this includes the whole bill including things like windex, toilet paper, etc.

We are a family of 3. We are huge meat eaters. And we love to cook. My calorie goal is 1200. I need to love what I am eating or I feel deprived and will fail.

I love good, high-quality fish. Like fresh halibut, ling cod and now it's Copper River Salmon season. Yum, spendy.

Groceries are so expensive. Ouch!
  • ScientistStudy
    ScientistStudy Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    About £120 a month between me and my partner. I'm vegetarian, he isn't.

Thats around $185 a month.

This doesn't include the once a month or so takeaway!

My calorie goal is 1500 a day, my partner eats whatever he likes because he's blessed with skinny genes.
  • clockworkkarly
    Options
    around 200-400 a month for myself and my boyfriend.
  • direwolfprincess
    direwolfprincess Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    It varies between $340-400 a month for two adults, a child and a baby. It use to be much lower when we relied heavily on cheap, fast, processed meals. It has steadily risen as we cut back on fringe snacks and incorporate fresh frutis, veggies. We definitely do eat meats and dairy.

My calories range from 1220 to 1500 and my husband is probably well over 2000 however he has a highly active and physically demanding career where as I have an office job.

And for all my work I have gotten him to cut back but not eliminate sodas, chips and fast food. As he pleases, I try not partake.
    Our dinner meals are always prepared by me so I attempt to balance his bachelor-food-frenzy-style with healthy staples.
  • superstarcassie
    superstarcassie Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Two adults- around 375-400 per month! Plus we go out at least 2-3 times a week! (Mostly on the weekends with friends) Food is expensive these days! I eat around 2000-2300 calories per day and he eats around 2800 I think? We eat meat every night with supper and I buy mostly high protein foods and fresh veggies. I do like my processed natures valley bars and we go through 2 boxes a week minimum, lol!