Replies

• gomisskellygo
    gomisskellygo Posts: 635 Member
    Options
    Bump, thank you.
  • DoubleE615312
    DoubleE615312 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    for those of you questioning about eating exercise calories back, here is my .02....

from the website "Try not to lower your calorie intake by more than 1000 calories below maintenance. Doing so may invoke the bodies starvation response, which can lead to the Yo-yo dieting effect."

I take this to mean if you green number at the end of the day (calories left) is more than 1000, then you need to eat more food until you have that number at 1000 or below until you net your calories for that day whether it be 1300 or 1800. For example if you have 1200 (in the green) left for the day, eat as close to 200 calories as possible to get to 1000. I don't personally think going over a 1000 a day or 2 here and there is going to hurt, but then again I am not a doctor or nutritionist.

Again just my opinion....

That green number should be nowhere near 1000. MFP builds the deficit in as though you didn't do extra exercise (outside of your activity level). So you already have a 250-1000 calorie deficit in there.

If you exercise above that 1000 calories for instance, you'd actually be in a 1250-2000 calorie deficit following that advice.

But you are not using MFP as your guideline, you are using the freediet website. Using their numbers it gives you.
  • Nenabobena
    Nenabobena Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Whenever you use a calculator to figure out your calories that factors in your exercise you DO NOT eat your exercise calories back. So be honest with your exercise and go from there. Now if for some reason you do more exercise then what you calculated your calories at then go ahead and eat some back.

MFP does not add in exercise to your calorie equation thus it usually sticks people who want to lose 2 lbs a week at 1200 calories. This is why when someone looks at these other calories they are shocked at how high everyone else is in relation to MFP.

Try it yourself, try to work with your goals and change your exercise, you calories will change very, very little if at all because the way MFP is setup is to work your deficit into your eating and wants you to eat any exercise calories you "earn"

I have my calories set to include my exercise level and do NOT eat back my exercise calories and have been very successful at losing.

Perfectly explained. I think a lot of people DO NOT realize that mfp sets you up at the minimum amount of calories necessary for basic body functions like hair/nail growth. Anything below 1200 on a daily basis will not sustain your body, so anyone doing 1200 needs to eat the exercise calories back.
  • mispotatohead
    mispotatohead Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Great idea for varying the MPF daily intake on calories. I've been trying to zig zag and wanted an accurate record.
  • MollyDukes
    MollyDukes Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • 25daniow
    25daniow Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    BUMP!
  • DBiddle69
    DBiddle69 Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    I have been doing this since I started on MFP except I have not been modifying my daily numbers....I just left the numbers as they are...e.g., on Sunday (the start of my week) I had left 450 calories on Tuesday I left 100 calories, on Wednesday I over eat by 200 calories so for the week I still have 350 extra calories for the week.

The way I saw it was that by the end of the week if I over eat by 100 calories it would take me 35 weeks or 9 months to gain a pound.
  • JoolieW68
    JoolieW68 Posts: 1,879 Member
    Options
    Ok, I must be having a very blonde day, because I am still a little fuzzy about how the calories work with this. Let's use my Monday as an example, where it has my 'fat lost' calories at 1700.

Does that mean I can eat ONLY 1700 calories in a day, even if I exercise 500 calories (resulting in a net 1200 cals)

OR

Does that mean I can eat 2200 calories in a day, exercise 500 calories, and end with a NET of 1700

Confusing blonde is confused.
  • Misiaxcore
    Misiaxcore Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    I would like to try this. I do have one question about the zig zagging, since I do not know how many times I will exercise in a week, can I set my chart to desk job no exercise, and then eat back by exercise calories on the days I do workout?

Thanks for your help.
  • Nailrep
    Nailrep Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    I totally believe in zig zagging! WTG for you!!
  • Nenabobena
    Nenabobena Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting OP, this looks very interesting.

So, to be clear, the number given for fat loss is my NET for the day, right?

YES :)
  • KathShum2012
    Options
    Thanks for posting...I may try this
  • jbro456
    jbro456 Posts: 15
    Options
    bump - can't wait to try this
  • jchrisman717
    jchrisman717 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    This is telling me that for extreme weight loss I have to only eat 1048 calories a day. That goes against everything that I"v read here on MFP. The most calories I can eat on one of the days is 1258. I think I'm going to try this but I may starve to death in the process!

Use the fat loss number - not the extreme fat loss. I'm going to start using the fat loss - because if I just move the scale - even a little a week - I'd be happy.
  • Sherriediva1
    Sherriediva1 Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    I wann try this, but it scares me!!
    :frown:
  • LadyNanci
    LadyNanci Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Many people on Weight Watchers have been using something like this for years. It was called the Wendy's plan. They use points instead of calories but the idea was the same. Wendy found that by varying her points and using a weekly point allowance rather then the same points (calories) per day, she got better results and kept her body guessing.

I think I am going to try this also. I have been eating between 1000-1400 calories per day for the past month and keep going up and down by the same 2 pounds. It is getting very frustrating! I do have type 2 diabetes and I take synthroid for my thyroid so losing weight seems so much harder then it used to be.
  • shimmergal
    shimmergal Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    bump!
  • Funsoaps
    Funsoaps Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    I guess I'm not getting it. Mine says for extreme weight loss to eat 2000 calories per day, but then only 2 days that week are 2200 and 2400. I just don't see that as that extreme and how it's going to get my metabolism kicking butt?
  • essenceofk
    essenceofk Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the info, can't wait to try this! :)
  • thekacers
    thekacers Posts: 68
    Options
    bump