So which Gym Guy are YOU?

Options

Replies

• adamlb
    adamlb Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    That guy with the headphones strapped on, not unfriendly but not outwardly social, powering through dumbbell and body weight exercises (including weird pull-up/press-up variations that make people stare) in about 40 mins. Definitely *not* the guy checking his mobile phone, admiring himself in the mirror, or having a chat while sitting on a weight bench!
  • bradphil87
    bradphil87 Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    I'm the guy there with his trainer busting his *kitten* every other day haha. Today was a killer. Can't wait til Friday!
  • tameko2
    tameko2 Posts: 31,634 Member
    Options
    "Oh shi* guys there's a girl in here....don't stare...don't stare...maybe she'll leave..."
  • giggitygoo
    giggitygoo Posts: 1,978 Member
    Options
    I'm "the yoga girl"

Mat on my back, drinking coconut water, embodying a stereotype like no one's business. Ah well. It works for me.
  • JenaePavlak
    JenaePavlak Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    I dunno... but I'm very curious how people perceive me while I'm at the gym.... :happy:
  • lizzybethclaire
    lizzybethclaire Posts: 849 Member
    Options
    Why do people look so miserable in the gym? I am usually happy and smiling unless I am lifting. I am always talking to myself and pushing myself to do another rep or a few more minutes on the elliptical. I usually feel like a science experiment at the gym. I have to walk through the area with heavy lifting equpiment and the guys stare at me like I am an alien.
  • delmc1
    delmc1 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    I'm the no nonsense guy. I don't go in with my posse.....I lift heavy. I don't talk much and get in and out.
    this ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ is how i train
  • therealangd
    therealangd Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    I'm the girl that takes her 20 year old daughter to the weight room because she's too chicken shlt to go by herself. Me. I'm the chicken shlt. I have to take DD to hold my hand.

ETA: PS: I'm not texting my BFF, I entering weight and reps into my app.
  • shar140
    shar140 Posts: 1,158 Member
    Options
    The crazy one on the stair stepper backwards, who uses the bench for weighted step ups, and the only one in the women's area using something heavier than a 10lb dumbbell.
  • irefusetoquit
    Options
    I thank you all for the convo yesterday, which motivated me to stay off the cardio machine as planned lest anyone judge me for being a "cardio bunny" (impossible since I am not rail thin, and am doing interval-intensity cardio at the advice of my doctor and trainer).

Instead I resorted to my typical Gym personality of "Former competitive swimmer". Meaning, I used to work in a pool, teach group and private swim lessons, and coach teams but now I'm obese so the most I can muster is a consecutive half-mile of breastroke, freestyle, and backstroke, with a half lap of butterfly thrown in. I thank you b/c I truly get a better work-out that way...hitting both cardio and strength at once.

So, describe yourself at the gym as if you were being judged by a casual observer. I think it sounds fun.

I haven't been to the gym in 5years. I've been working out at home.

If I WAS to go to the gym, here's what I would probably do:
    - a 3-5minute warmup on the treadmill or stair climber starting at a low intensity, then gradually increase it
    - stretch for a minute or so
    - some weight training focusing on different upper body exercises (chest, arms, back)
    - pushups, burpees, or pullups (if there's a pullup bar)
    - core work with a mat
    - finish off with some yoga/stretching

Throughout the workout (or set) I would do whatever I needed to to either increase the intensity or challenge myself more to vary my heartrate.

But it wouldn't be a "formatted workout". It would be whatever popped into my mind while execising. I may end up adding different exercises I've learned from the DVD workouts I've been doing at home, maybe even a few exercises from Tae Kwon Do. It depends on what pops into my mind at the time.
  • christakersey
    Options
    I'm pretty sure I'm the annoying one at the gym. My friend and I go at 5am M-F for 30 minutes, and we talk the whole time. We do the elliptical M,W,F and the 30 minute workout Tu and Th. If it wasn't for my friend suggesting we both get memberships, my lazy butt would still be sleeping in until my kids woke me up! I also run on my own 3 days a week which is my peaceful time with just my ipod and myself.
  • XFitMojoMom
    XFitMojoMom Posts: 3,255 Member
    Options
    I'm the "OMFG you're how old?/a little too intense/man you're deceivingly strong" , "lady" at my box.
  • lornaheron
    lornaheron Posts: 72
    Options
    I'm the woman possessed darting from one machine to another. Singing to myself, because iv'e forgotten i'm in a room full of people. :laugh:
  • AngryDiet
    AngryDiet Posts: 1,349 Member
    Options
    I'm the guy telling you to get the hell out of my basement!

So I'm the guy who's lifting with White Zombie and Front Line Assembly and Slayer playing too loud for motivation.

Wow.......I think I work with you haha. Guy I work with has his Slayer gym in his garage tho.

LOL, Slayer is rare! I try to play all kinds of high energy angry music. Honest!
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    I am the little girl acting like she was a big boy, moaning and grunting in the free weight part of the gym.
  • zellagrrl
    zellagrrl Posts: 439
    Options

So I'm the guy who's lifting with White Zombie and Front Line Assembly and Slayer playing too loud for motivation.

Wow.......I think I work with you haha. Guy I work with has his Slayer gym in his garage tho.

LOL, Slayer is rare! I try to play all kinds of high energy angry music. Honest!

Slayer Gym would be a good name...

There's a death metal yoga class that I've been meaning to try, just don't really want to drive the 60 miles roundtrip to do it on a weeknight.
  • AngryDiet
    AngryDiet Posts: 1,349 Member
    Options

Slayer Gym would be a good name...

There's a death metal yoga class that I've been meaning to try, just don't really want to drive the 60 miles roundtrip to do it on a weeknight.

Death Metal yoga? Sounds worth the trip to me!
  • DaBossLady24
    DaBossLady24 Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    I'm the crazy chick who comes in with the "All Business" mentality.

I get in, do my heavy lifting on the barbell and dumbbells with a mix of machine weights thrown in, then hop on the cardio machines for about 20-30 minutes and finish up with ab stuff on the mats OR some speed roping in the corner. I talk when I need to AND I'm the annoying one on my either phone texting a bit to make sure my friends/colleagues/parents are working out like they're supposed to be or meeting up with me... or I'm just busy entering sets and other calories burned from my HRM into MFP.

Kinda don't know where I fit, but I like to think I'm a BEAST... at least my crazy sweat-filled clothes, panting, and wonderfully sore muscles make me think that :bigsmile:
  • ScottyNoHotty
    ScottyNoHotty Posts: 1,955 Member
    Options
    People would probably view me as crazy cardio, Treadmill running lady. I'm always on the treadmill and running for a long time. the treadmill is mainly all i do at the gym. I noticed that no one stays on the treadmill as long as i do. tons of people get on and off the machines next to me,, and i'm still on for over an hour. i'm a treadmill girl. i love to run.

You must be the one who pays more for the membership that allows you to use the equipment for longer than the designated 30 min limit. Nice to keep people waiting.............
  • DrMAvDPhD
    DrMAvDPhD Posts: 2,097 Member
    Options
    People would probably view me as crazy cardio, Treadmill running lady. I'm always on the treadmill and running for a long time. the treadmill is mainly all i do at the gym. I noticed that no one stays on the treadmill as long as i do. tons of people get on and off the machines next to me,, and i'm still on for over an hour. i'm a treadmill girl. i love to run.

You must be the one who pays more for the membership that allows you to use the equipment for longer than the designated 30 min limit. Nice to keep people waiting.............

Not all gyms have that policy. Only one row at my gym has a time limit. And the machines are never full.