Anyone else have a mentally ill parent?

Options
Today was not the greatest day. Being the adult child of a mentally ill parent who refuses to take medication is beyond exhausting.

Is anyone else out there in this situation?

My dad is schizophrenic and wasn't diagnosed until he was 60 years old (long story). Mom, the ultimate caregiver/martyr, is enabling the behavior and not setting an ultimatum (live here = get treatment). She'd rather take care of him in all his craziness than be alone. Their hourly therapy sessions every few weeks are a joke.

Between her denial and enabling behaviors, and his schizophrenia, I am at my wits' end. Most of the time things are "fine" (I use that term loosely... we acknowledge our total dysfunction and deal with it, and I have accepted the fact that that's as "fine" as it's going to be), but today was one of those days... not great.

How do you know when to draw the line? I've tried to set boundaries but they aren't respected.

Just needed to vent. If anyone else out there is dealing with something like this, feel free to friend me. Schizophrenia sucks.

Replies

• christinehetz80
    christinehetz80 Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    Yep, my mom is bipolar and she was just diagnosed with MS which helps explain a lot, but the treatment unfortunately exacerbates the bipolar symptoms.

And if I could give you a virtual hug or better yet a real hug I would. I am the go to adult child of two older parents that really neither one of them take care of themselves well and don't live together so I am generally stuck going to one or the others and helping them deal with life to life issues.....there are days I could just Cry, yell, and disown them. Most times I vent with my girlfriends...I try not to bring the issue(s) up to my husband because I don't want him to be affected by it.

Feel free to msg me if you just want to talk, commiserate, or have someone listen.
  • angieleighbyrd
    angieleighbyrd Posts: 989 Member
    Options
    I have a mentally ill son.

My father was bipolar and he died of an overdose. I cut ties with him about a year before he died though.

My mom is a severe diabetic. She has had several surgeries, she had strokes, heart attacks, she's going blind...the list is just never ending with all her conditions. She refuses to take her medicines. She comes up with every excuse not to. To me, she's acting no different than my dad did. I recently cut ties with her. I'm not gonna sit around and watch her kill herself, everything that is wrong with her, is her own doing.
  • bathsheba_c
    bathsheba_c Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options
    I read a really great [albeit EXTREMELY Christian] book on boundary setting by Henry Cloud and John Townsend. I found it really helpful, so maybe that might help you maintain your boundaries so that their problems remain their problems and not yours.

Hope the venting helped.
  • ashleypage__
    Options
    Hey. I live with a mother who is a hoarder & who displays boredline personality disorder symptoms, something that I have as well. It can get very frustrating living with her, as she has never sought mental help & doesn't even believe anything is wrong with her. If your parents won't respect your boundaries, then you just have to distance yourself. You can't control your mom or dad's actions. You're mom may be an enabler, but don't let yourself be one. Hold your parents accountable to the boundaries you respect. For instance, if you say don't call me after 8pm & he calls you after that constantly, then you tell him hey dad, i can't have you doing that. Until you can respect my boundaries I will not be answering any of your calls. Eventually he may come around and realize in order to have you in his life he may need to take his medication. I'd say stop worrying about your parents, and focus on yourself. They will come around eventually if you stay strong.
  • starracer23
    starracer23 Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    To answer your question in one word: Yes

It has never been fun...my mother has tried to kill herself too many times to count. She was never really there for me. I got so tired of the drama that she would create...it seems that is the only thing she does well. My husband and I made the coice to move away. We have seen her 1 time so far this year. I must admit....its very nice!
  • emilysuelemus
    emilysuelemus Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    my sister has schitzophrenia...she also rents a house from us and is always calling cuz someone has broken in, broke her foot, trying to poisen her, she sets out traps to trap her robbers, its a dailey grind, she has very little support syustem, she does take her meds but continues on her paranoia, rants, voices, and is continually afraid someone out to get her. It does no ggod to set parameters, its easier just to change her locks every other month or so...its the same locks we use...she just doesnt know it! took her on a 3 week road trip recently...not the wisest choice but it will probly be her last one and she got to see family she hasnt seen in years. It was very challenging she also has physical disabilities as well. Her daughter has recently moved in with her and it has gotten better in regards of her constant calling us for something but then there is new issues with her daughter living there. We just keep plugging at it and try our best. Only other option is placing her in group home but I think that would make it worse. she does like her yard and gardening and loves to sew at all hours. she couldnt do that in a group home. so we pray a lot and hope we can make it through another day!! Patience is a must with folks like this! hoping for the best in your situation!
  • angieleighbyrd
    angieleighbyrd Posts: 989 Member
    Options

It has never been fun...my mother has tried to kill herself too many times to count. She was never really there for me. I got so tired of the drama that she would create...it seems that is the only thing she does well. My husband and I made the coice to move away. We have seen her 1 time so far this year. I must admit....its very nice!

Do you ever get called the bad guy because you chose to step away? I do, it's annoying. My mother isn't mentally ill, she's just dumb and won't take medication that is saving her life. I chose to step away because I'm tired of her excuses and I'm not gonna watch her slowly kill herself. I always get told "she's your mother, how could you". Actually it wasn't all that hard.
  • spartangirl79
    spartangirl79 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the replies, everyone. Today has just been a super challenging day. To everyone else who is suffering with this I am sending you big virtual hugs.

My dad was committed after a psychotic break a few years back, for two weeks. Was given medication by injection and since he has been out, he has refused to take it. He is too far gone to realize how ill he is, and after experiencing the side effects from the medications, I just know he will never ever take them until he has to be committed again.

It's hard too because my mom is in such denial. She really thinks that her treating him like a child and taking him to therapy once every couple weeks will fix everything.

Thanks so much for your responses... just knowing I'm not alone helps! And again I'm sorry that y'all are dealing with this, too.

It's really hard to know when to just say no more, and totally cut them off. I don't think that would ever be possible since my mom chooses to stay with my dad and I love my mom more than anyone in the world, except my husband. Dysfunctional, you betcha! :explode:
  • JonathonMars
    JonathonMars Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    I have mentally ill almost everything.

I think you sometimes have to finally just restrict the amount of time they are in your lives. I know that is hard for a lot of people to accept, but you can't force anyone to do anything. So, you just...leave them be.
  • ashielovesdashie88
    Options
    Oh gosh yes, my biological father was epileptic,suicidally depressed,paranoid infused abusive alcoholic who killed himself when i was 11 (granted my parents were in the middle of a divorce and living in two separate states so it didn't effect me like everyone thought it would) My mother is/was ( she insists she isn't drinking, i totally know she is) an alcoholic with bi-polar disorder and Socialized Anxiety Disorder. She takes her meds but doesn't admit to having a problem with her drinking. I, like another person on here, cut all ties for awhile but then found myself feeling too guilty to let her go. As far as boundaries are concerned you have to take a step back and do your best to realize that if someone won't help themselves then there isn't going to be much you can do to help them either. Especially when it comes to our parents, being set in their ways just comes with life experience. I wish you the best of luck in trying to set boundaries and break down the wall to gain understanding. Don't forget you're not alone in dealing with this and if you ever want to talk you can message me. I know exactly how you feel! :heart:
  • morgandy
    morgandy Posts: 21
    Options
    I'm cheering you on :) My mother had schizophrenia, but unfortunately my story does not have that great an ending. It took about 20 years for her to be diagnosed and she was eventually institutionalized. For most of my childhood, I have vivid memories of either my mom exhibiting symptoms or my dad struggling to convince her to go see a doctor and get on meds. I hope you're mother does eventually get on board, however, I completely understand her desire to avoid confrontation. My mother eventually threw up her hands and demanded a divorce - and then completely cut everyone out of her life, to avoid having to deal with the fact she needed help. There can be some severe consequences to trying to help the one you love, if they're sick.

On the other hand, having your mom in your corner to help deliver the "tough love" could also be just what your dad needs.

No easy answers... I just wanted to say that I empathize and that I hope that you and your dad get the support that you need!

p.s. - Schizophrenia does suck :p
  • Cold_Steel
    Cold_Steel Posts: 897 Member
    Options
    Is it really enabling behaviors by your mom or is it just a deep founded love for her husband that is very difficult for her to pass up and admit to herself that he has a problem?

Schizophrenia is a very elaborate and often confused disease, I am sure you are well aware of that. If you have clearly shown her what the problem is you are having and she is not correcting it it may be time to move on.
  • Beautiful_Ideal
    Beautiful_Ideal Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Both of my parents are mentally ill. Bipolar/OCD/narcissism/Borderline. I stepped away from my mother, my father abandoned his family when I was young. The limiting of the time is key in regards to my mother, because she's very controlling and she thinks she's entirely rational. Everyone feel free to add me, I understand how it can be. :flowerforyou: hugs
  • thaphatdiva
    thaphatdiva Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I just wanted to give you a virtual hug and urge you to see what options are available to you in your area (residential facilities, home health visits, etc.). I work in a mental health correctional facility. The majority of our residents suffer from schizophrenia and were ordered to our facility after trying to harm someone (usually a family member). A person suffering from schizophrenia and non-compliant with medications can escalate into violence very fast. For example: My best friend's grandfather was schizophrenic, and her grandmother was an enabler. He pulled a gun on her one day. Her solution was to empty all of the hunting rifles and remove all of the ammunition from the house. He ended up attacking her with a knife.

Schizophrenia is one of those things that's very hard on the families of those suffering from it. I wish you a lot of peace, calm, and strength. Just do what you can and encourage your mother to be careful.
  • Kandace_Riopel
    Kandace_Riopel Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    my mom has a bi polar split personality. we didnt realize how bad she was until 3 weeks before my wedding day ( im the first of 4 to marry and she did not like my choice) my mom attempted suicide and was as close to succeeding as could possibly be. she spent 10 day in a coma and on life support! ..... shes stable atm but that can change on a daly basis and it does. i just love her for who she is, my mom and i accept her that way she is while keeping my expectations well know and enforced. if she isnt on her best behaviour i simply tell her to leave or call back when she is in a better state of mind. she is always angry but i stick to my guns. she usually will apologize when she comes around and i tell her how she made me and anyone else that had to witness it feel and she usually keeps in line for a good while. that i notice as she stays away from me when shes having her moments while still checking in every other day as we worry if she doesnt because of her past actions. feels like i am parenting my own mother but shes my mom and i didnt choose her she was chosen for me. for reasons i may not understand.
  • ttillman19
    ttillman19 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I do not have a parent with a mental health illness, but I do have a husband with a severe TBI. His brain damage has left him essentially with bioplar, ADHD, anxiety, severe depression, and mood disorders to name a few. It is very hard and I give all of you hugs to the moon and back. He suffered a gun shot wound through his left eybrow that went through almost to the back of his skull in January of 2011 (after we were married and had a 1.5 year old). He has come a long way from not feeling/moving anything on his right side and brain damage to the point where he could not follow 2-step commands or know anything was missing up there. I was an enabler. The person that helped us/me the most was the neuropsychologist. He helped me to see that I was not helping him by doing everything for him, giving him everything he wanted when he had a "tempertantrum", etc. It has been very hard to set bounderies, but if I didnt/do then he will never get any better. It was recommended that I put him an inpatient neuropsychology facility, but I refused...looking back a year later I probably should have for at least 30 days. Every day is hard. I am raising 2 children, one 3 and one 32. Every day is a challenge. Eating healthy is a challenge. Feel free to message me...I could use some good motivators/listeners/just people who understand.
  • starracer23
    starracer23 Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options

Do you ever get called the bad guy because you chose to step away? I do, it's annoying. My mother isn't mentally ill, she's just dumb and won't take medication that is saving her life. I chose to step away because I'm tired of her excuses and I'm not gonna watch her slowly kill herself. I always get told "she's your mother, how could you". Actually it wasn't all that hard.

Its a lot deeper than just that though. My mother is deeply involved with a religion. I was as well...for 25 yrs. I then grew a brain of my own and no longer have anything to do with it. So I am the bad guy many times over. She is a follower, she will pretty much believe anything she is told. She chooses her cult (I fully believe being a jehovah's witness is being in a cult) over her family...She says how much she misses us then starts right into her gossip and backstabbing. Anyone and everyone that gives her the time of day will get an ear full of what a horrible person I am. I have told her to stop talking about me, it wont happen.
  • paeli
    paeli Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    This is a really heavy thread, sounds like everyone has been through a lot. Sending love and hugs to each and everyone one of you. My mother has schizophrenia, my father left her when I was a baby and raised us on his own. Thankfully, this spared me from a lot of her illness, however I grew up without a mother because of it. We have a sort of "happy ending" story though, as many years later my Aunt got my mom involved with a mental health organiZation which has helped her pull her life back together. They would do private meetings with her at her apartment and provide her medication that way to start. Now she goes daily to get her medication and they keep her "in check". She has a wide social life, has hobbies, keeps busy and is back to being a well functioning person (which she wasn't for many many years)

So, I highly recommend looking into an mental health organizations like this in your area. That said, people with illnesses like this absolutely cannot be reasoned with. You need to think of yourself, and remove yourself from any harmful situations.
  • spartangirl79
    Options
    Once again, a huge thank you to everyone who responded. I'm going to take the time this weekend to try to reply to each of you. I appreciate it so much.
  • spartangirl79
    Options
    Is it really enabling behaviors by your mom or is it just a deep founded love for her husband that is very difficult for her to pass up and admit to herself that he has a problem?

Schizophrenia is a very elaborate and often confused disease, I am sure you are well aware of that. If you have clearly shown her what the problem is you are having and she is not correcting it it may be time to move on.

I wish I could say it was just that she loves him so much... it is more codependency I believe. How can you love someone who has been so cruel to you for 40+ years of marriage? She obviously has her own mental health issues (depression, emotionally abused, codependent) -- I hate to say it, but there is not much about my dad to love. It makes me very sad to admit that, but how can you love someone who has hit you, tried to kill you, and brought you down a rabbit hole of depression and poverty for decades?

I know she could have taken the bull by the horns and left, and she almost did a few years ago. Sadly, she is so codependent and also does not see things clearly, that she would rather be his caretaker than be alone.

It is one big twisted mess. Yesterday was better, but today we are right back where we were. I know he doesn't think clearly, and absolutely cannot comprehend how his words and behaviors affect others, but it breaks my heart regardless. I guess I will just have to block his email address to spare myself the heartache, at least for a while.