Runners...what brand shoe do you run in?

Options
lbmore33
lbmore33 Posts: 1,013 Member
I've been running for the last 11yrs and found that New Balance seems to be a good shoe for me. I tried Asics'...too me horrible (too light of a shoe). My only problem with NB as wells as all brands...is newer models aren't always better. Nothing like finding a great shoe only to find out your preferred model doesn't exist anymore. Sure you can try online outlets (which I did for years) but eventually, it is completely gone. Best NB shoe (I liked 859 for which I used for abt 5yrs), so now I am adjusting to the NB 860v2...so far it's ok...New Balance forever

'10 Delaware Marathon
'11 Delaware Half Marathon
'11 Baltimore Marathon

Replies

• anarod0513
    anarod0513 Posts: 119
    Options
    i currently use the nike free runs, but i think i need shoes that are more firm..... i dont know how else to describe it. my foot moves too much, and i just end up hurting myself. maybe i need shoes that have more support?
  • lbmore33
    Options
    i currently use the nike free runs, but i think i need shoes that are more firm..... i dont know how else to describe it. my foot moves too much, and i just end up hurting myself. maybe i need shoes that have more support?

completely understand...this new shoe Im using contours to my foot...it takes getting use too but I will keep an open mind.
  • shellsie_j
    shellsie_j Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I ended up getting "The North Face" ones. Never heard of them before but I needed heavy duty outside waterproof ones so I could exercise around our property which is pretty wild and can get muddy. Bit exxy $250 but they are great and I don't slip or get wet feet and they feel really comfy too.
  • NavyKnightAh13
    NavyKnightAh13 Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    my shoes that i have now are falling apart (i have had them for about 4 years) so bump for the fact of getting ideas as to what shoes I should get since i am running.
  • DisneyMommy
    DisneyMommy Posts: 281
    Options
    I've been wearing Mizuno Wave Riders for 5 years now (new model every year, slightly changes each year). They work well for me. I can't do Asics but wish I could because they are so light.

If you haven't already, visit a running store (not a sporting goods store) and get fitted. They will test your stride and give you some to try on. You don't have to buy them at the store. You can come home and try to find a good price online too.
  • kimdrobison
    Options
    Brooks Adrenaline. My favorite! I'm on my 5th pair. If you are going to do a lot of running I would recommend going to a running shoe store and getting a gait analysis. They will analize how your foots hits when you run and then recommend shoes based on that. I did it and I have LOVED the results. Also it is best to get running shoes 1/2 to 1 whole size bigger than your regular shoes. Your feet swell when you run and you need extra room. Good shoes are key. Good luck!
  • Debbe2
    Debbe2 Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    Aren't Brooks supposed to be really good running shoes as well as the ones mentioned?
  • lbmore33
    Options
    I ended up getting "The North Face" ones. Never heard of them before but I needed heavy duty outside waterproof ones so I could exercise around our property which is pretty wild and can get muddy. Bit exxy $250 but they are great and I don't slip or get wet feet and they feel really comfy too.

my god you must not run too often at that price...after 300 miles I find a new pair abt every 3 months or so
  • abhiforlife
    abhiforlife Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I have ASICS, give me really good balance.
  • lbmore33
    Options
    Aren't Brooks supposed to be really good running shoes as well as the ones mentioned?

btw great job on your losing achievement...yes Brooks is a good shoe brand but it is not for everyone
  • love22step
    love22step Posts: 1,103 Member
    Options
    Mizuno Wave Nexus 5 for my training runs, and Mizuno Wave Creation 13 for race days. I have wide feet, high arches, and neutral something-or-other. It's late--I'm tired. Anyway, I started running again in January, and the Mizuno shoes are working for me.
  • alikat42
    alikat42 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I am madly in love with my Brooks Ghost 4s.
  • JulieH3art
    JulieH3art Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    NIKE Lunarglide. They are PRETTY and PERFECT for me!!!
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    I'm wearing Brooks Dyads at the moment, but I still prefer my old Nike Vomeros.
    I need really wide shoes due to injuries to my right foot and store staff always suggest New Balance but they don't work for me.

I'm always a bit scared to buy new shoes because they are so expensive here (I haven't paid under $200 for shoes in years) and I really want to get something good for my money because at that price I can't afford to replace them too often.
  • Jordant107
    Jordant107 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Nike Free Run's!! And if you don't think that there is enough support, then check out the other versions- I think it's the v5.0 that have the most rigid support, and the v3.0 give the best 'barefoot' feel (I have the 3.0's and have found them fantastic!!) I think you can also customise the shoe on the Nike website, and can take different parts from the different versions.
  • SuperVegan8
    SuperVegan8 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Depends on the distance. I run shorter runs (less than 5k) in my Vibram 5-finger shoes (mostly due to a prior ankle/knee injury) as i find them great to run in.

I wear newbalance now but only because i got a great deal on a pair. I used to be and my next pair will be Asics.

im sorry you didnt find them right for you. They have a variety of weightings in their shoes - perhaps try a few different models. I've always thought Asics were leaps and bounds above the competitors. . . i guess it comes down to personal preference.
  • WestCoastPhoenix
    WestCoastPhoenix Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    I have these Asics GT 2160's:

245394_366_45.jpg
  • rbjd2004
    rbjd2004 Posts: 51
    Options
    I could not be happier with my Reebok RealFlex Optimals. I had been wearing the wrong shoes for a long time. No more cramps or shin splints. :)
  • lbmore33
    Options
    FYI for new runners...running shoes dont last years contrary to what you may think. My more experienced running friends told me rule of thumb, they last abt 3 months depending on the surface you run on...ie trails, asphalt. Strictly treadmill may give you a lil more life...but in my experience the more I have to stop and tighten my shoes up...time for a new pair.
  • thelovelyLIZ
    thelovelyLIZ Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    I have a pair of Nike shoes which I really like. I picked Nike, partially because I liked that with the Nike+ sensor I could use it to track my workouts on the treadmill as well. That and I knew it was a good brand and I have an outlet store near me so I could get a $100 pair of shoes for $50.

I've been considering getting a second cheaper pair for my shorter runs so my Nike's don't burn out as fast, but I also just got a pair of vibram five fingers, and money isn't exactly plentiful right now.