Found guilty, teen to serve year in fatal texting crash

Options

Replies

• linda1243
    linda1243 Posts: 166
    Options
    Yay! I don't want to lose my life because some had to type "lol" to their friend immediately.

I think this is the start to making a difference. More states will follow now and as it hits people's home states, I think it will be on more people's radars.
  • AggieLu
    AggieLu Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    It happened to me. I was hit by a kid who was texting while riding my bike. What's fair is fair.
  • Alysgrma
    Alysgrma Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    My daughter was killed (5 weeks after giving birth) by a 18 yr old boy high on pot. He recieved 8yrs (max) for manslaughter. He served only 2 yrs. He had his license revoked but that does not stop him from driving. If you think they won't drive because they have no license you are sadly mistaken.....they will and do drive without them! He should have gotten a stiffer sentance because he took my daughter and left a 5 week old baby without her mother, but the state law is max 8 yrs. Good behavior he got out in 2 yrs. How sad is that?

BTW: the boy has moved back in with his pot smokin friends so I am sure he is smoking again.
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    Locally a 21 year old man was checking his cell phone (gps) while driving last year and struck and killed a 9 months pregnant woman and her unborn child in a head-on collision. It was just released 5 days ago that he will not receive ANY criminal charges. So that story you posted~ too harsh? Not in the least!!!

So, if you ever want to kill someone, just run them down and tell the officer you were just checking your facebooks.
  • tony2009
    tony2009 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I think the sentence isn't severe enough, but honestly, 15 years without a licence is sentencing him to have no job, or one that anyone would want to work. You don't think he's going to feel horrible for what he did? He may not, for all we know he may be a sociopath, but that would be unlikely.I know of many people who have had much less severe sentences for drunk driving and who are driving within three or so years of their third offense.

I think this sentence is more about setting an example though, trying to prove a point.
  • lizzybethclaire
    lizzybethclaire Posts: 849 Member
    Options
    I used to text, rarely, but when I almost crashed my car I stopped. It woke me up and I realized how stupid I was being. I wouldn't be able to live with myself if I got someone hurt or killed cause I was on my phone or texting. I put my ear piece in now and I try not to even use that.
  • AZnewme
    AZnewme Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Slap on the wrist for murdering someone.

This gets into "what is justice" territory. Yes, he killed someone. But, since he's not a serial killer or otherwise a sociopath, he has to live with what he's done. For most rational people, that's punishment enough. No amount of prison time is going to undo what was done. And given the nature of our current penal system, prison generally only destroys another life. This kid made a mistake. A huge mistake, but it was still a mistake.

I agree. My sister was killed by a teenaged drunk driver. The kid's father turned him in when he saw the news report on TV. This whole thing tore our family apart and it tore his apart. As the article said, there are no winners. Lesson to be learned is teaching our kids how very, very dangerous a weapon a car can be. I don't think we do enough of that as a society. The only thing that will truly change behaviors is education - experience does too, but I think we would all like to avoid that.

That said, I do think prison time is appropriate - taking a life is not to be taken lightly.
  • TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,793 Member
    Options
    I don't like this sentence.

Yes, texting while driving is extremely dangerous and inexcusable, but I do not think he meant or intended to harm somebody by doing so. Manslaughter? Yes. Homicide? Absolutely not.

Six months in jail and a year license suspension would have been appropriate, IMO.

In a year's time, the victim won't miraculously be released from their punishment.

I don't think a year is enough time. When you deliberately break the law and someone dies as a result a person should be held accountable.

I would like to see more sentences like this. Stupidity is not a defense.
  • TheWinman
    TheWinman Posts: 700 Member
    Options
    I used to text, rarely, but when I almost crashed my car I stopped. It woke me up and I realized how stupid I was being. I wouldn't be able to live with myself if I got someone hurt or killed cause I was on my phone or texting. I put my ear piece in now and I try not to even use that.

I stopped texting for the same reason, the crash that almost happened. I also realized that every time I texted I would start to slowly veer to the left or should I say into upcoming traffic.
  • summertime_girl
    summertime_girl Posts: 3,945 Member
    Options
    He's just a kid though. If he had been two WEEKS younger, he would have been tried as a minor. It's a tragedy all around.
  • BurtHuttz
    BurtHuttz Posts: 3,653 Member
    Options
    No, it won't make a difference.

US 1995
    1,436,000 people arrested nationally for drunk driving / DUI (Driving under the Influence) [1]
    11,994 fatal accidents nationally where at least one driver had a BAC of 0.8% or above [2]
    13,478 people were killed nationally in accidents where at least one driver had a BAC of 0.8% or above [2]
    2,416 people were killed nationally in accidents where at least one driver had a BAC between 0.01% and 0.07% [2]
    15,893 total deaths were caused nationally where at least one driver had a BAC of 0.01% or above [2]

US 2007
    1,427,494 people arrested nationally for drunk driving / DUI (Driving under the Influence) [1]
    11,780 fatal accidents nationally where at least one driver had a BAC of 0.8% or above [2]
    13,041 people were killed nationally in accidents where at least one driver had a BAC of 0.8% or above [2]
    2,494 people were killed nationally in accidents where at least one driver had a BAC between 0.01% and 0.07% [2]
    15,534 total deaths were caused nationally where at least one driver had a BAC of 0.01% or above [2]

edited to add:
    sources:
    [1] FBI - Federal Bureau of Investigation [Uniform Crime Reports]
    [2] NHTSA - National Highway Traffic Safety Administration [Fatality Analysis]
    source for sources:
    http://www.dui-usa.drinkdriving.org/dui_drunkdriving_statistics.php#fbi
    Relevance:
    There is no question that the US has pretty broadly been cracking down with progressively less-tolerance for DUI offenses, with stiffer and stiffer penalties, between '95 and '07, and yet there is no meaningful movement in the stats.
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options

He killed a man. He will forever be known as a murderer. A felon.

A murderer is someone who intentionally kills another person/people.

That is the difference between murder and manslaughter. If you make a mistake and it cost someone their life, with no intention of ever causing death, you should not be treated the same as someone who walks into a building and shoots someone in the head.
  • m60kaf
    m60kaf Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    I get the impression Americans are a bit less willing to accept the dangers of texting and driving.

In the UK it is illegal and has been for a few years.

It is starting to be seen as an offense that is more akin to Drunk Driving than Speeding.

Indeed some insurance companies are refusing to insure drivers with using phone convictions.

To be honest I largely agree. It is hugely dangerous and if you kill someone by doing it I dont see why it should be a six month misdemeanor.

Only time I ever seem to have my phone in my hand in my car is when my F'in blueetoth wont connect.. pile of crap that bluetooth is
  • autumnk921
    autumnk921 Posts: 1,376 Member
    Options
    I am not sure of the severity....I think its a good punishment...Do I think it will make a difference...NO...Because it's mostly teens who do this and they think that it will never happen to them....Sad but true... :(
  • TheWinman
    TheWinman Posts: 700 Member
    Options
    I am not sure of the severity....I think its a good punishment...Do I think it will make a difference...NO...Because it's mostly teens who do this and they think that it will never happen to them....Sad but true... :(

I see just as many adults texting as teens. It started off as teens who mostly were the ones, but now it's pretty even. IMO
  • BrettPGH
    BrettPGH Posts: 4,720 Member
    Options
    The jail time is not too severe but the 15 years without a license is. He is 18, he can make his own decisions so should be punished for them, but he still has a lot of growing up and maturing to do.

You know who doesn't have a lot of growing up to do? The person he killed.
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
    Its literally boggling my mind reading people here DEFENDING the killer.
  • Captain_Tightpants
    Captain_Tightpants Posts: 2,215 Member
    Options
    Not too severe at all imo. Personally, if they just beheaded the kid and put his skull on a pike outside the local police station, I think the phone and text based auto accident rate might drop considerably.
  • m60kaf
    m60kaf Posts: 421 Member
    Options

To be honest in my experience of doing a lot of driving here in the UK it seems to be mainly women on school runs type who think the law applies to everyone else and are totally oblivious and haven't got a clue.

Most teenagers I see drive fairly well ... they just get a bad rap... and lack the experience to know what they need to do when they are sliding towards a tree in their crappy nissan because the insurance they have to pay means they can only afford cars that to be quite frank I wouldn't drive 10 feet in
  • Sharyn913
    Sharyn913 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    Slap on the wrist for murdering someone.

This gets into "what is justice" territory. Yes, he killed someone. But, since he's not a serial killer or otherwise a sociopath, he has to live with what he's done. For most rational people, that's punishment enough. No amount of prison time is going to undo what was done. And given the nature of our current penal system, prison generally only destroys another life. This kid made a mistake. A huge mistake, but it was still a mistake.

I would say adding too much flour to a cookie recipe and ruining the cookies accidentally, would be a mistake. And it's not like he was driving at 6 years old and didn't know right from wrong. He knew right from wrong, esp if there are laws in place in that state. He broke the law and killed someone and disabled another. Imagine how their families will feel and how it affected all of them for the rest of their life. I'm willing to bet that if someone made a "mistake" and ended up killing one of your loved ones, you wouldn't show up to court saying "Justice does not need to be served, he made a mistake"

I realize my words may come off as rude, and please understand that is not my intention. But we are not talking about a small mistake, we are talking about the loss of a life that could have easily been avoided.