As a kid I did _____ and probably burned 1000 cals a day

Options

Replies

• lorierin22
    lorierin22 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Played wiffle ball and kickball in the backyard, tag/freeze tag, basketball, pretty much anything involving a ball in the middle of the street...4-square was my favorite! Rode by bike up and down the same street over and over again. "Borrowed" my older brother's speed skates (roller skates) and went skating up and down the road over and over again. I pretty much didn't come inside until I heard my Mom yelling for me when it started to get dark.

It's sad, I get nervous if my kids even play in the front yard without me these days. Cars go crazy fast down our street (it's supposed to be 25mph). I would never let my kids play in the street and that's where I spent most of my days as a kid.
  • calalily77
    calalily77 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    As a small kid I ran everywhere, jumped rope, hula hooped, and rode my bike. As I got older it was dance classes and jumping on the trampoline. Man, I would stay on that thing for hours on end. I need one of those now!
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    ever see Bridge to Terabithia? I was that little girl. I probably burned only about 3000 cals a day- cause I was tiny little stickbug of a thing, all boney long limbs.

I was climbing trees from dawn til midnight, fighting invading armies of monsters, running away on horseback, fishing barehanded in the rive up to my chest, rounding up snakes and hauling little rowboats everywhere in the swamp, building bridges over rivers, swinging on ropes and belly flopping in the water, living off honeysuckle, wild onions, blackberries and fish cooked on a tiny fire in the river rocks.

GODDAMN I WANNA BE 6 AGAIN

fml
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    Cut, split and hauled firewood.

Played "bike soccer"...where we would ride around town keeping a soccer ball rolling with us...and if it went off the road into a ditch, we rode our bikes in after it...success was determined by whether or not the ball came out of the ditch in one attempt.

Climbed things, jumped off of things...doing "Parkour" (before David Belle even learned to make peepees in the big potty).

Probably a lot more than 1000 calories in a day though.
  • JennW130
    JennW130 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    i use to ride my bike for hours, play on my swing set, played on the slip n slide, played lots of cops n robbers, played softball, the list could go on and on.
  • MissSharkattack
    MissSharkattack Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    Ice soccer. <3
  • ScientistStudy
    ScientistStudy Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Roller skating
    Tree climbing - both of these activities resulted in broken arms haha
    Skateboarding
    Skipping with a rope
    Hula hooping
    Running away from haunted houses
  • natvanessa
    natvanessa Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    I was a VERY active kid :smile:

-Rode my bike all day, every day
    -did cartwheels on the front lawn
    -ran around
    -climb trees
    -had uneven parallel bars in the backyard, messed around on those
    -went to the grocery store for my mom every day (walked there)
    -swam all summer

Wow!!
  • Played soccer, jumped rope, spent hours on my trampoline... and when I was bored, instead of watching TV I would get my mp3 player and walk laps around my house... so much that I actually wore down a path in the yard!
  • rachellem86
    rachellem86 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Rode my bike EVERYWHERE - but I also grew up on a farm so manual labour was part of the mix :P
  • Jessamine
    Jessamine Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I'd do these things for hours without realizing it was exercise. I remember begging my parents to let me go out and play. I wish I still had that attitude about physical activities!

Bike
    Roller blades
    Hide-n-seek
    Climbing trees
    Stick ball
    Kick ball
    Tag
  • UrbanRunner81
    UrbanRunner81 Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    outside all day long... riding bikes, hiking through the woods, swimming and whatever else I could get into.
  • TinkrBelz
    TinkrBelz Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    I rode my bike everywhere...and if I did not ride my bike I ran! Also, I am a spaz, so I think just me fidgeting probably burned 1000 calories. I am sure that they would have classified me as ADD back then!!!
  • NiSan12
    NiSan12 Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    Played double dutch and chased other children around the neighborhood playing games. Man I miss that energy, but then again what would I do with it? LOL
  • decdav
    decdav Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    As a kid, I rode my bike, walked, and ran. During the summer I swam a lot, plus worked on a farm!

Dave
  • mdsjmom98
    mdsjmom98 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    during the summer I was on the swim team, and we would practice for at least 2 hours a day. One coach made us dive in with our sweats on, wow, that was a workout!!
  • mzpharrell
    mzpharrell Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    rode my bike everywhere
    ^^^^^^^same here
  • gaiareeves
    gaiareeves Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    Rollerbladed, went swimming, rode my bike, played massive village-wide games of tag, took ballet lessons, climbed trees, ran around the beach, and was generally far less lazy :')
  • NYChick84
    NYChick84 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    I definitely burned over 1000 cals doing skip it and hula hooping up and down the blocks....i was so good at it i could hula hoop and skip it at the same time.....damn i miss those days!!!!!

and obviously i was evil ken-evil on my bicycle as well....
    man hunt
    stick ball
    kick ball
    soccer
    tag
    dancing
    swimming

you name it....it was doing it!
  • almc170
    almc170 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    Walked or rode my bike everywhere, hiking, swimming, jump rope, softball, basketball, volleyball, kickball