Found guilty, teen to serve year in fatal texting crash

Options

Replies

• saragato
    saragato Posts: 1,154
    Options
    Considering people injure themselves just texting and WALKING, I don't think it's severe. However I'm a bit concerned that there's mention of vehicular homicide and yet they get only one year? Surely that charge by itself yields more. I dunno, to me that's willfully driving impaired, like getting behind the wheel when you're drunk and you know you're drunk.

I've seen people driving with their knees so they can text. That's not safe. Driving 101: keep your eyes on the road.

Unfortunately this will be one of those cases where those guilty of texting and driving will shrug and say, "oh I'm more careful than that person was, I'll never end up doing that." It doesn't matter how 'careful' you're being or how often you stop to look up, the fact of the matter is something besides your moving vehicle and the road it's on has taken most if not all of your attention. It's a distraction just like rowdy passengers, music, the DVD players they put in cars now, and even simple things like food or drink. If you trying to get the cap off a bottle of water to have a sip can cause you to run into someone's fender or swerve or even go off the road, guess how much worse a cell phone is?

I don't mean to rant since I'm sure someone will have a counterpoint to my point of view, but I really wish the law would be more strict about cellphones. In some areas of the US it's illegal to even have the thing up to your ear and talking. The thing that slays me was when one cellphone company said they were trying to make a see-through phone so you could text and walk and see what's on the ground. Don't cater to stupidity, beat it out of them.
  • moseler
    moseler Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I made my daughter fill this out when she got her permit and subsequent license. To the best of my knowledge, she never violated it. She never got caught at least. She's 18 now and an adult, but my name is still on the title of the car she drives and she is still on my insurance.

But is all of this really necessary for your child to drive a car? My mom told me all of this information before I drove, and I knew what would happen if I wrecked or got tickets. Although my situation was different, I walked to work and waited until I had enough from what she had allotted me for a car to use as a start, and she paid for the remainder of the cost towards my blazer. I paid her for the car and insurance every month ($200 while in high school).

I think that it is just a little too much, it almost seems like you didn't trust her or lay down the law earlier, and also since the document refers to the witnesses it has no real legal standings. Witness has to be someone who isn't included on the documents. I think laying down the laws in paper was a good idea, but all in all this is a bit extreme.

BTW, I'm now a Sr. in college and still own the car and maintain it myself and the car, while still in my moms name, is paid off and mine as soon as I graduate to use as a trade in for something newer than '95. (insurance purposes).

Was it necessary? Absolutely. She never had any indicators that she would be a problem child and she never was, but we didn't want anything open to inperpetation.

Holland bought her own car as well, but it was under my name. I am, after all, legally responsible for her actions. I will continue to pay her insurance and such as long as she is in college. 10 years.

By the way, when you have children, you may feel free to test out any theories on child rearing as you see fit. I have three daughters. All responsible adults now. My method of honesty and defined expectations proved out.

I don't think you are too harsh or wrong for spelling out your expectations in a contract with your teens... I have done the same thing on multiple occasions with my son who is now 21 years old, living on his own, studying to be a firefighter and supporting himself. We too drew up a contract on his vehicle that we bought but he over time purchased from us at a fraction of the cost... he too pays his own insurance on the vehicle as well.

The thing is, teens are very good at twisting words into what they WANT to hear, they find the loop holes whenever possible and then hold your words against you to fight for what they want... they are VERY GOOD AT DEBATE. We found by putting our explicit expectations in writing in which he signed and agreed to this left very little wiggle room for debates or arguments about what was and was not acceptable. He respected the document, he respected our terms and in turn, he respected us and we respected him. I am proud to say, this worked for us and my son made it through his teens unscathed and is now a responsible young adult.
  • MassiveDelta
    MassiveDelta Posts: 3,311 Member
    Options
    Woah..15 years no license???

I wish it would make a difference in what others did....but it wont

ITs a a heck of a lot more dangerous to drive drunk whats the penalty for that? You get three chances right? This is extreme and excessive. Poor kid
  • TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,788 Member
    Options
    Woah..15 years no license???

I wish it would make a difference in what others did....but it wont

ITs a a heck of a lot more dangerous to drive drunk whats the penalty for that? You get three chances right? This is extreme and excessive. Poor kid

Drunk driving that results in a death does not normally result in a lesser penalty.
  • cramernh
    cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options
    I live here in New Hampshire and this is a hot topic for all of us.

That kid got off scott-free.... He should have served alot more time than what was given.

He has lost his license until the age of 33. Sorry, but this guy is not someone I think who is going to stay off the road when he gets out of jail in a year. I have a feeling we will see him again....

Im angered because I see too many drivers talking on their cell-phone and damn near ready to rear-end me on the highways because they are not paying attention to the fact that a 65mph highway is a bit more important than yapping/texting on a cell phone.

Im getting over a concussion from being hit by a driver who was texting on their damn cell phone, so this is a very bitter issue for me seeing this article come around and the judge gave him a whopping year....

Yeah... its bitter..
  • saragato
    Options
    Taking the kids licence away for 15 years means nothing to so many people. I know of people who have theirs taken away for a month, can't handle and still drive. Anyways. People think they are invincible. Many of my friends don't listen when I tell them that they need to stop texting or talking on the phone while driving. They always respond with "oh, Im really good at it. I do it all the time" Really? I don't think so. I'm pretty sure that's what everyone who does it thinks...until they hit someone, kill someone, or themselves. Driving is not a joke. I can't say if it is the right punishment. I think the kid should serve more time in jail. One year is nothing. But he is going to have to deal with what hes done for the rest of his life. That to anyone with a conscience is going to be a very hard pill to swallow.

My cousin says the same thing. She won't answer the phone if it's ringing, half the time it's on silent because she likes taking naps and having pity parties alone in her house but if you text her she'll respond as soon as she sees it. She takes the phone everywhere and has been known to, during family get-togethers, text at the table or even watch youtube videos. To me it's just kinda sick that people can get that addicted to their phones.

As for what the kid did... who knows. Recently near where I live we had a drunk driver plow head-first into a car and he's killed 6 of the 7 passengers, the 7th is on life support and probably will die too, and he doesn't care. He killed 3 generations of a family and doesn't care and police have shown he's been arrested for DWIs before but only received slaps on the wrist. He had a history of it, meaning he didn't care even before that happened.

I guess we can hope that year behind bars scares the crap out of him.
  • TheBraveryLover
    TheBraveryLover Posts: 1,217 Member
    Options
    I have no problem with that verdict. There should be high ticket fines for doing so, if caught. Maybe then people will learn.
  • mmildice
    mmildice Posts: 63
    Options
    The jail time is not too severe but the 15 years without a license is. He is 18, he can make his own decisions so should be punished for them, but he still has a lot of growing up and maturing to do.

You know who doesn't have a lot of growing up to do? The person he killed.

This
  • TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,788 Member
    Options
    So, be honest.

How many of you text while driving?
    How many of you never have?
    How many of you have had an accident or received a ticket for texting while driving?
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    So, be honest.

How many of you have had an accident or received a ticket for texting while driving?

I don't text and drive. Never have.

I don't even like talking on the phone and driving, but I do it if I have to take a business call or something important that can't possibly wait.
  • calalily77
    calalily77 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Taking the kids licence away for 15 years means nothing to so many people. I know of people who have theirs taken away for a month, can't handle and still drive. Anyways. People think they are invincible. Many of my friends don't listen when I tell them that they need to stop texting or talking on the phone while driving. They always respond with "oh, Im really good at it. I do it all the time" Really? I don't think so. I'm pretty sure that's what everyone who does it thinks...until they hit someone, kill someone, or themselves. Driving is not a joke. I can't say if it is the right punishment. I think the kid should serve more time in jail. One year is nothing. But he is going to have to deal with what hes done for the rest of his life. That to anyone with a conscience is going to be a very hard pill to swallow.

My cousin says the same thing. She won't answer the phone if it's ringing, half the time it's on silent because she likes taking naps and having pity parties alone in her house but if you text her she'll respond as soon as she sees it. She takes the phone everywhere and has been known to, during family get-togethers, text at the table or even watch youtube videos. To me it's just kinda sick that people can get that addicted to their phones.

As for what the kid did... who knows. Recently near where I live we had a drunk driver plow head-first into a car and he's killed 6 of the 7 passengers, the 7th is on life support and probably will die too, and he doesn't care. He killed 3 generations of a family and doesn't care and police have shown he's been arrested for DWIs before but only received slaps on the wrist. He had a history of it, meaning he didn't care even before that happened.

That is so sick. To not have any remorse for the things you do. What kind of charges did that guy get? Unbelievable.
  • TheBraveryLover
    TheBraveryLover Posts: 1,217 Member
    Options
    So, be honest.

Never have; never will. It's way too risky. I like being aware of what's around me when driving. We're taught to drive defensively. You can't do that if you're texting while driving.

ETA: My phone has a voice demand that can text anyone in my phone, with the words I want it to say without typing it on the screen. I've never used it, but that might be a better alternative for people who *must* text while driving.
  • DrMAvDPhD
    DrMAvDPhD Posts: 2,097 Member
    Options
    Not severe enough. And playing this off as "Teenager gets jail time" is too bleeding heart for my taste. He was an 18 year old adult that broke the law and killed someone. He should never be allowed to drive again. I hope his own feelings of guilt provide him a more severe punishment than the law did.

Driving should be privilege that is extended to only those who prove intelligent and safe enough to do so without endangering themselves and others.
  • vade43113
    vade43113 Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    The following people are also stupid,

Those who read

Well, lets stop the education system in the World now.... we have just found the reason why many people are stupid... they read
  • vade43113
    vade43113 Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    So, be honest.

I fall into the none catagory.... I don't even have a cell phone, if people want to get a hold of me... they can wait until I get home
  • saragato
    Options
    So, be honest.

To be honest I can't even handle taking my hand off the wheel for a drink in the cup holder and I can't hold too extensive a conversation because I tend to concentrate very heavily on the road. If my phone beeps or rings it's gonna have to wait until I get to where I'm going, I don't even trust to peek at a stop light.

However that's taking into account I have anxiety which causes me to panic if I go a little too much to the left or right in the lane or if I'm too close to the person in front of me, so on. I personally can't handle doing much more than actually driving and seeing people either in the lane beside me or in front of/behind me swerve or be active on their phones or with digging in their purses and whatnot makes me even more uptight.

That's all probably because I had a father who was blind and deaf on his left side and couldn't feel his feet and yet was still allowed to have a driver's license. Add in that my father liked to trick out the stereo and constantly fiddle with it, listen to his bugged HAM radio (he had it to where he picked up every channel/frequency being used and could listen in on other's conversations, he did the same thing with the house phone) or even have a portable TV on the dash... well you can guess how many car wrecks, fender-benders, and bouts of road rage I've been involved in before puberty. I swore to God I'd never drive like him.
  • saragato
    Options

That is so sick. To not have any remorse for the things you do. What kind of charges did that guy get? Unbelievable.

Well he's looking at 6 counts of vehicular homicide, possibly 7 by the end of the week. From what I've heard it's going to be pretty much like a murder charge, 25-30 years if not just plain life. I think the guy's 28 or 29, so it's not like he just turned 21 and was boozing it up. He knew better but just chose not to take that route.
  • XXXMinnieXXX
    XXXMinnieXXX Posts: 3,459 Member
    Options
    Can't believe people are defending it. Seems the laws a lot tougher in the UK over this one. He deserves longer x
  • MissTattoo
    MissTattoo Posts: 1,203 Member
    Options
    So, be honest.

I don't do it. I have Sync in my car.
    I got rear ended at a red light because some twit was texting. I wanted to smash her phone into the pavement.
  • love2cycle
    love2cycle Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    I couldn't say if it's too severe, but I think punishment is in order. Someone died, and this teen has to live with that; that is pretty severe. Hopefully, he will be able to use his experience to educate others.