Diet sodas. Yes or No?

Options

Replies

• BrettPGH
    BrettPGH Posts: 4,720 Member
    Options
    Ingredients in Eggo Nutri Grain Waffles:

WATER, ENRICHED FLOUR (WHEAT FLOUR, NIACIN, REDUCED IRON, THIAMIN MONONITRATE, RIBOFLAVIN [VITAMIN B2], FOLIC ACID), WHOLE WHEAT FLOUR, VEGETABLE OIL (SOYBEAN AND PALM OIL), EGG WHITES, SUGAR, WHEAT BRAN, DEXTROSE, CONTAINS TWO PERCENT OR LESS OF LEAVENING (BAKING SODA, SODIUM ALUMINUM PHOSPHATE, MONOCALCIUM PHOSPHATE), MODIFIED CORN STARCH, SALT, CALCIUM CARBONATE, DRIED BLUEBERRIES, APPLE FIBER, NATURAL AND ARTIFICIAL FLAVOR, MALTODEXTRIN, CELLULOSE GUM, MALT FLAVORING, CITRIC ACID, WHEY, SOY LECITHIN, VITAMIN A PALMITATE, REDUCED IRON, NIACINAMIDE, BLUE #2 LAKE, RED #40 LAKE, PYRIDOXINE HYDROCHLORIDE (VITAMIN B6), THIAMIN HYDROCHLORIDE (VITAMIN B1), RIBOFLAVIN (VITAMIN B2), CALCIUM PANTOTHENATE, FOLIC ACID, VITAMIN B12

Um, hello?? I think it's funny that people who bash soda or diet soda because of the "chemicals" would have this in their diary! This is just one example. Saw SO many more hypocritical diaries, lol!

I will have my one Pepsi One a day, thank you very much! Hasn't stopped my loss at all. :)

I'm amazed at how some people feel the need to personally attack others for their choices. The OP asked a question and I answered it with information I've read. I didn't say don't drink the ****, I gave information on what is in it and pointed out helpful suggestions for people who want soda but want to avoid the chemicals. I am not perfect nor do I always make perfect choices but if you were in my position of being broke and just having moved home, you'd also forgo your beliefs if it meant not eating over eating.

I think it's funny that you went to such great lengths to point out a shortcoming in another person. What does that say about the type of person you are? I am not preaching nor saying anything badly about people and their choices.

Think not only before you act and speak, but also before you type. Not only are you being rude and inconsiderate but you are intentionally hurting people without caring. Also, if you look at the rest of my diary you will see that for the most part I eat clean natural healthy organic home made/grown food.

So what, someone who strives to learn and choose the best path for them is not allowed to have mistakes and setbacks?

It is a terrible thing that our generation has lost the moral foundation of respect for others as well as any charm, ettiquette, or social graces.

Name one sentence from the person you quoted that was a personal attack.

The information you gave was bad. People pointed that out. You may not like that, but it's how we learn. It's important to counter misinformation. Otherwise we'd all be freaking out if we ate after 6pm and trying to eat 6 small meals a day.

It's fine to be wrong, there's nothing better than learning from your mistakes. But you can't tell people "Agree with me, even when I'm wrong, or keep your mouth shut." That helps no one, least of all you.

We are all here to learn about nutrition and healthy living. So learn.
  • 916lude
    916lude Posts: 305
    Options
    Diet Soda = No. Love some sparkling mineral water though
  • Devolucien
    Devolucien Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    To Brett: For one, you cannot prove that any of the information I gave was wrong. If the jury was out on it, we wouldn't be having this debate.
    Two, I did not ask anyone to shut their mouths and not voice their opinion. I pointed out how rude it is to specifically isolate one person's diary and find one entry in it that wasn't healthy and post it up for everyone else as an example. That is not what this site is about. It is not about individually attacking someone and yes, in my opinion when you lack a generalization, it can be considered a personal attack. My point was there was no reason for it. I was not degrading or belittling anyone on here which so many others seem to have no issue doing.

And yes, I do consider prepackaged food extremely unhealthy but as I said before, given the situation I am currently in where I do not currently have the financial means to provide all of the healthy organic farm grown natural food I want, choosing the prepackaged nutrigrain waffles in my parent's freezer was much better than for example picking up a dollar menu item from McD's on my way to work.

As far as name one sentence? She went to my diary, picked out part of my breakfast entry for yesterday, and posted the ingredients to it followed by a comment which if isolated from the fact of the former would be benign. However, she singled one person out and that person was me. That is by definition a personal attack.
  • dis5150
    dis5150 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Forgive me, hun, if I offended you. Was definately not a personal attack on your choices, just a random comment about people who are so anti-soda, yet eat other chemical laden foods. I checked many diaries, did not target you specifically. In fact I could not even tell for sure if that came from your diary. Are you the only person who eats Eggo waffles?? But again, forgive me, did not mean to offend you or your choices and I don't remember attacking you at all.
  • BrettPGH
    Options
    To Brett: For one, you cannot prove that any of the information I gave was wrong. If the jury was out on it, we wouldn't be having this debate.
    Two, I did not ask anyone to shut their mouths and not voice their opinion. I pointed out how rude it is to specifically isolate one person's diary and find one entry in it that wasn't healthy and post it up for everyone else as an example. That is not what this site is about. It is not about individually attacking someone and yes, in my opinion when you lack a generalization, it can be considered a personal attack. My point was there was no reason for it. I was not degrading or belittling anyone on here which so many others seem to have no issue doing.

And yes, I do consider prepackaged food extremely unhealthy but as I said before, given the situation I am currently in where I do not currently have the financial means to provide all of the healthy organic farm grown natural food I want, choosing the prepackaged nutrigrain waffles in my parent's freezer was much better than for example picking up a dollar menu item from McD's on my way to work.

As far as name one sentence? She went to my diary, picked out part of my breakfast entry for yesterday, and posted the ingredients to it followed by a comment which if isolated from the fact of the former would be benign. However, she singled one person out and that person was me. That is by definition a personal attack.

No one had any clue it was from your diary until you stated that it was. While you may consider such a thing a "personal attack" I think it provides good food for thought for a person who may think diet sodas are terribly unhealthy because of "chemicals" (I so hate people using that word in this way) but take in the same amount of processed additives in other foods.

Like I said before, this could be a wonderful learning opportunity for you. You watched some biased documentaries that filled your head with bad information. You could use this as a chance to learn. But instead you'd rather be hung up on people being polite and not telling you what you don't want to hear.

Good luck to you. I have a feeling you're going to need it.
  • Devolucien
    Options
    The percentage of people on this post who also ate that exact type and brand (which isn't even the type and brand I actually ate, the one I ate is a local organic brand that my grocer carries and isn't in the food database so I picked the closest thing similar. My waffles didn't even have blueberries in them and were made from brown rice flour, not wheat) is very low. By deductive reasoning alone, you may not have targeted me specifically but you did post my breakfast entry.

Regardless, I thought when I signed up having my diary public would be a good idea and clearly it is not. In fact, given the nature of a lot of these forums and the fact that I have an inability to keep my opinions to myself, I may delete this thing entirely. Tracking my calories is great but all I've learned from this is that I am consistently under my calorie goal and that people have very little tolerance for beliefs that they do not share.

The concept of the site is wonderful but we manage to mess up a good thing anyway.
  • alyson820
    alyson820 Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    I drink water 99% of the time, but if I'm craving soda I drink diet. I just prefer it.
  • Devolucien
    Options

No one had any clue it was from your diary until you stated that it was. While you may consider such a thing a "personal attack" I think it provides good food for thought for a person who may think diet sodas are terribly unhealthy because of "chemicals" (I so hate people using that word in this way) but take in the same amount of processed additives in other foods.

Like I said before, this could be a wonderful learning opportunity for you. You watched some biased documentaries that filled your head with bad information. You could use this as a chance to learn. But instead you'd rather be hung up on people being polite and not telling you what you don't want to hear.

Good luck to you. I have a feeling you're going to need it.

Point taken. Now point being made again- if you had actually read my posts and comprehended them, you'd know that I never once said I watched any documentaries. I've read lots of books.

All this site is teaching me is that people really are rude and intolerant. Everything I need to know about nutrition I can continue getting from the sources I choose to get it from. I joined this site for accountability to my exercise plan given the monumentous nature of my specific schedule not for nutritional information from people who have not read what I have read.
  • littlemiss5foot1
    littlemiss5foot1 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    COKE ZERO!!! it doesnt have all the crap in it diet coke has,,,, and it wont make u hungry :) its like under 2 calories a can :)
  • SanniHope
    SanniHope Posts: 23
    Options
    I have to say that i was never into sodas in the first place, so I don't really miss them now.

Anyway my personal opinion is that the less you drink it the best it is: regular or diet, I think both are bad...
  • AlyRoseNYC
    AlyRoseNYC Posts: 1,075 Member
    Options
    My whole life, I rarely drank soda. If I'm eating out at a place that has a fountain, I usually get Diet Coke. For some reason, fountain Diet Coke tastes WAYYY better than canned or bottled diet coke.

If it's non-fountain, regular soda all the way! Tastes SOOOOO much better IMO.
  • BrettPGH
    Options
    Point taken. Now point being made again- if you had actually read my posts and comprehended them, you'd know that I never once said I watched any documentaries. I've read lots of books.

All this site is teaching me is that people really are rude and intolerant. Everything I need to know about nutrition I can continue getting from the sources I choose to get it from. I joined this site for accountability to my exercise plan given the monumentous nature of my specific schedule not for nutritional information from people who have not read what I have read.

You are super defensive and looking for any reason to quit and people to blame. Be it this site or weight loss in general. You think I don't understand that? You think you're the first person here who's struggled with weight issues? Damn near everyone of us have. We've been here longer, we've read about all the things you've read. We've learned about weight loss and nutrition by debating in threads and providing information. Being wrong isn't always fun, but wouldn't you rather know the truth?

You read one post you don't care for and use it as an excuse to deactivate from a free website that is amazingly successful at helping people lose weight. Who do you think you're hurting by doing that?

If you really think you know it all and don't need any help go ahead, deactivate. But this site could very much help you, if you let it.
  • myfitnessnmhoy
    myfitnessnmhoy Posts: 2,105 Member
    Options
    Just wanted to know your thoughts on whether diet sodas were a good thing or not. Sure a regular soda has plenty of sugar, but at least you know what you're dealing with and so does your body. Diet sodas have sweeteners and supposed negative effects on your health.
    Have I answered my own question?

Personally, no. Based on no scientific studies, but my own experiences giving up soda, which may or may not apply to you.

First, you're taking in chemicals and/or relatively new plant derivatives. I'm not opposed to chemicals and/or plant derivatives, but the only benefit you are getting is that something is tasting sweeter. In my personal risk/reward scale, that's a poor reward to gain for adding the risk. When I want sweet, I'll use an established sweetener. In ten years, if the new stuff hasn't become a boogeyman, I'll consider it. Feel free to be my food tester if you like.

Second, the key to losing the cravings for sweet is to stop eating sweet stuff all the time, at least in my experience. Drinking a couple of sodas a day led me to the expectation that there would be a near-constant flow of sweet things and basically changed sweet from a treat to a continuous expectation and therefore craving. Eliminating the sweet for just a few short days led to treating sweet as an occasional treat. I enjoyed it more as I expected it less.

Your mileage may vary. I highly doubt there's anything in any soda that will do you any harm, I just choose not to take even that small risk for no real benefit. And you may react to a continuous flow of sweet in such a way that you find it easier to avoid that donut or pastry when offered. It's just what worked well for me, and some savory food for thought. ;)

I'd suggest trying to give it up for, say, 2 weeks. You might be very surprised to find that it tastes like horrible malted battery acid and fresh clear water suddenly becomes deeply appealing to you. I sure was!

Or you might find that you derive no benefit whatsoever from giving it up, and go back to drinking it. Again, it's probably not hurting you and if you find it beneficial to your avoidance of sugary items, or even to your well-being and happiness, that's a benefit.
  • ElizaRoche
    ElizaRoche Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    for me? , yes,, in moderation. I drink about 600ml of soda once a week.
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    It's up to you, and unless someone asked, I wouldn't judge them for drinking diet soda. But me personally, I am not a fan. I don't like the controversy surrounding Aspartame and articial sweeteners. To me, diet soda doesn't taste so good that I'm willing to take the risk.
  • auticus
    auticus Posts: 1,051 Member
    Options
    I am not reading the entire thread so if this is repeated somewhere my apolgies.

People get an illusion that diet sodas are ok because they have 0 calories.

This is false.

Diet sodas mimic something sweet. This causes the body to produce insulin. This makes it easier for anything else you consume to immediately be stored as fat.

The more insulin resistant you are, the more insulin is produced. Most fat people who have been fat for any great length of time are insulin resistant if not full blown type-ii diabetic.

This results in diet soda or artificial sweetner consumption and then confusion as to why the fat won't leave them. They are encouraging their body to retain fat through insulin production.

So the diet soda itself is 0 calories but is turning your insulin machine on which can make you store fat easier. Thus sabotaging you.
  • doorki
    doorki Posts: 2,611 Member
    Options
    I still have a diet coke or two when I am craving it but I have never had it make me more hungry. Perhaps it has to do with the fact that my "binge" foods were all carbs and cheese rather than sweets. Maybe it only makes people hungry who have a sweet tooth?
  • Falling2Grace
    Falling2Grace Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Sugar in soda is bad, but i would rather have that than artificial sweeteners, so i just go for the regular sodas especially since i dont hit soda hard anyways. Usually water or almond milk, but soda is a nice treat every once in a while.
  • HaleyJoAnn
    HaleyJoAnn Posts: 50
    Options
    I hate this topic because nobody is ever going to agree.
  • ElizaRoche
    ElizaRoche Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    Ingredients in Eggo Nutri Grain Waffles:

WATER, ENRICHED FLOUR (WHEAT FLOUR, NIACIN, REDUCED IRON, THIAMIN MONONITRATE, RIBOFLAVIN [VITAMIN B2], FOLIC ACID), WHOLE WHEAT FLOUR, VEGETABLE OIL (SOYBEAN AND PALM OIL), EGG WHITES, SUGAR, WHEAT BRAN, DEXTROSE, CONTAINS TWO PERCENT OR LESS OF LEAVENING (BAKING SODA, SODIUM ALUMINUM PHOSPHATE, MONOCALCIUM PHOSPHATE), MODIFIED CORN STARCH, SALT, CALCIUM CARBONATE, DRIED BLUEBERRIES, APPLE FIBER, NATURAL AND ARTIFICIAL FLAVOR, MALTODEXTRIN, CELLULOSE GUM, MALT FLAVORING, CITRIC ACID, WHEY, SOY LECITHIN, VITAMIN A PALMITATE, REDUCED IRON, NIACINAMIDE, BLUE #2 LAKE, RED #40 LAKE, PYRIDOXINE HYDROCHLORIDE (VITAMIN B6), THIAMIN HYDROCHLORIDE (VITAMIN B1), RIBOFLAVIN (VITAMIN B2), CALCIUM PANTOTHENATE, FOLIC ACID, VITAMIN B12

Um, hello?? I think it's funny that people who bash soda or diet soda because of the "chemicals" would have this in their diary! This is just one example. Saw SO many more hypocritical diaries, lol!

I will have my one Pepsi One a day, thank you very much! Hasn't stopped my loss at all. :)

so true... EVERYTHING has chemicals, if you look at the ´ingredients´ list of every single think you eat, you will find out a long list of chemicals.... I drink soda and it doesnt make me hungry nor has stopped me from losing weight.