How did you get proposed to?

Options
Elizabeth_C34
Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
In light of our own recent beautiful proposal on the forums, I got curious how everyone got proposed to (or proposed) by your fiance/spouse?

My husband is a usually shy guy who doesn't talk much about his feelings. He's very affectionate and loving though. One day, I was making dinner (spaghetti with meat sauce) in our apartment, and he came up to me and simply said, "hey... you wanna go shop for diamonds?" I said, "Well, yeah." So I finished dinner, packed it up in the fridge (no time to eat), and we went and shopped for diamonds. He made me try on every ring in the store then go to another store the next day. Eventually, we came back to the first ring that I really loved, and he got it for me, slipped it on my finger right there at the store, and that was it! :smile:

Replies

• angeldaae
    angeldaae Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    He packed a picnic supper and we went to the park. We ate our picnic by a lake. He proposed to me as the sun set.
  • LovingLisa2012
    LovingLisa2012 Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    my husband actually proposed to me b4 we even met in person (had chatted on phone, net and snail mail for about 6 months)
    so once I moved in with him, I told him the over the phone proposal wasn't valid ..so he got down on his knee and asked 1 yr and 6 months later, we finally got married (been together 12 years 8 months, married 11 years 2 months)
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    We had a proposal on here? I missed that.
    Beau put a ring on our pillow. I found it. :smile:
  • Stargirlsmiles88
    Stargirlsmiles88 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    It was after getting home from work one night...late at night....and he proposed with a ring pop! I thought it was so funny (I know some people wouldn't think so though) I got to go help pick out my ring, which I liked.
  • catattack13
    catattack13 Posts: 117
    Options
    Liz, that's wicked cute :). so simple, but organic. if I ever trick anyone into marriage, I will do the proposing. or he will have to be very sneaky and do something book-related or message-in-a-bottle-esque to counteract my potentially incredible idea.
  • Fieldsy
    Fieldsy Posts: 1,105 Member
    Options
    We were staying at a hotel on the beach in Mexico. I had the staff set up one table with wine, candles, and flowers one night on the beach and asked her.
  • lripson28
    lripson28 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    We were on vacation with his family in Ocean City, MD. One morning we woke up and went out to Assaeague Island. We walked along the beach, saw some wild horses. We were the only ones around and he suddenly got down on one knee and pulled the ring out of his pocket and asked.
  • Brittany_Kayy
    Brittany_Kayy Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    He took me into Times square because I'm a southern girl who had never seen anything as big and bright as NYC before. We wen't into for dinner and to walk around. We were right in the middle of Times Square on New Years Eve, I was looking around and got distracted when I turned around to look for hubby he was on one knee behind me. It was the best thing ever, Everyone started clapping and yelling. It was exciting and defiantly something I will never forget. It's been 5 years (:
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    Liz, that's wicked cute :). so simple, but organic. if I ever trick anyone into marriage, I will do the proposing. or he will have to be very sneaky and do something book-related or message-in-a-bottle-esque to counteract my potentially incredible idea.

It was very "us." We are both really laidback people. :smile:
  • sdavis448
    sdavis448 Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    He was playing blocks with our son (then 1 year and a half).. He called me into the room and had spelled out " Will u marry me" with the blocks..

(there was only one "y" so he had to spell "you" ,"u"
  • foxyforce
    foxyforce Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    my partner brought me to a forest where we first met, on our anniversary to drink some beers. it was december 21st, snowy, and my heels were sinking (i didn't know we were going to a forest after dinner!). he told me to close my eyes and kept telling me how beautiful i was, so i knew it was coming! i could see flickering lights through my eyes and when he said open them i could see the ring box with led lights in it. one knee in the snow. love him! i said yes over and over and over again.
  • ThisisMiss
    ThisisMiss Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    It might sound lame, but it was on SKype.

We've been separated in different countries due to financial and visa issues. We've known that we wanted to get married for a while and he was meant to come see me and our daughter in Janurary, but the US wouldn't let him through the Canadian border (he was flying through Canadia from the UK). So he was stuck in Canada for a while and when he went back, he went on SKype and proposed to me there because he said he couldn't wait any longer.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    I love these stories. I ask everyone i know this question.

My fiance told me to pack a bag, we were going away for the night ( he does that once in awhile). He took me to a nice bed and breakfast a few hours away. A fancy 4 course meal was included with the night and we ended up being the only guests that night. We got all dressed up and had an amazing dinner. He was so calm I really didnt suspect anything. When we were getting up from the table, I turned to leave. He said "I forgot something". When I turned around, he was down on one knee, with a ring box. I didnt even know what to say. I remember laughing and hugging him. When we walked out of the restaurant owner asked if I had said yes. I was like " i don't think I did". We are getting married in September.
  • foxyforce
    foxyforce Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    He was playing blocks with our son (then 1 year and a half).. He called me into the room and had spelled out " Will u marry me" with the blocks..

(there was only one "y" so he had to spell "you" ,"u"

love it!
  • elizabeth51608
    elizabeth51608 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    It was pretty amazing :) My now-hubby packed a gourmet picnic and we went to the top of a cliff overlooking the ocean at sunset. He got down on one knee to propose BTW... it was very romantic!
  • rjt1000
    rjt1000 Posts: 700 Member
    Options
    In light of our own recent beautiful proposal on the forums, I got curious how everyone got proposed to (or proposed) by your fiance/spouse?

My husband is a usually shy guy who doesn't talk much about his feelings. He's very affectionate and loving though. One day, I was making dinner (spaghetti with meat sauce) in our apartment, and he came up to me and simply said, "hey... you wanna go shop for diamonds?" I said, "Well, yeah." So I finished dinner, packed it up in the fridge (no time to eat), and we went and shopped for diamonds. He made me try on every ring in the store then go to another store the next day. Eventually, we came back to the first ring that I really loved, and he got it for me, slipped it on my finger right there at the store, and that was it! :smile:

"Oh by the way, I'm three days late..."
  • kerrylove26
    kerrylove26 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    My husband of 5 years this Saturday, proposed to me with a fake ring out of the gumball machine. He made up this story how that's all he could afford and such. Then, he pulled out the real ring, and I said Yes. :) I still have that fake ring too.

Whoops, edited to say, I'm on my husbands account! LOL I didn't realize he didnt log out. hehe
  • sktllmdrhmz
    sktllmdrhmz Posts: 2,073 Member
    Options
    It was an arranged marriage to the landlord's son. We can't talk about it, but I just know he's mine.
  • Meggie1045
    Meggie1045 Posts: 20
    Options
    Disney world!! I'm obsessed with Disney and we went there on vacation and our second night there we walked over to cinderellas wishing well and he got down on one knee. A few minutes later they started their fireworks show. It was perfect!
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    We were staying at a hotel on the beach in Mexico. I had the staff set up one table with wine, candles, and flowers one night on the beach and asked her.

Wow! Too bad you are already married! She is a lucky girl!